GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Off Topic & Games
For when your thoughts are drifting to things not so movie, or if you're feeling trivially inclined.
591

Several things...
Topic by: Battie
Posted: June 20, 2005 - 4:30 AM PDT
Last Reply: September 21, 2005 - 11:28 PM PDT

page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next
author topic: Several things...
Battie
post #1  on June 20, 2005 - 4:30 AM PDT  
I was being my usual ditzy self, cruising around Netflix to check out new movies and movies I'd already seen, when I found that Gravitation (shounen-ai series) was no longer available? GC's is still around... Wonder what's up. :P

You ever look at your queue and get the urge to just delete about a third of it (20 titles for me)? I did that yesterday. Took off a bunch of "serious" romances and historical dramas. But then I came here, and added on Orfeu (romance). I'm confused myself. :P What is good romance that isn't going to annoy me?

I have a young adult raccoon who seems to've taken up residence around my place. I'm used to them...but usually they run (waddle-run) when they see me. And don't come out during the day. This one was on my porch at ten a.m. and last night around 9...and didn't run. >_>

I keep getting the urge to rent Jeremy Irons movies...I blame this commercial I keep seeing for Georgio Armani cologne. *cough* First time I heard it (wasn't watching), I thought it was Jeremy Irons speaking, until the end. :P

I keep thinking about my favorite actors and actresses (darn profile) and, honestly, only four or five women come to mind. Why is it that there seems to be more talented male actors than female? Is this just because I'm female, or is it true for many?
Bowwow
post #2  on June 20, 2005 - 8:33 AM PDT  
> On June 20, 2005 - 4:30 AM PDT Battie wrote:

>
> I keep thinking about my favorite actors and actresses (darn profile) and, honestly, only four or five women come to mind. Why is it that there seems to be more talented male actors than female? Is this just because I'm female, or is it true for many?
> ---------------------------------

I think that many women get cast in movies based on their looks rather than any great acting talent they might have. Which doesnt mean that I think that beautiful women cant have great acting talent (Katherine Hepburn comes to mind) but I think that actresses, in general, have shorter careers than actors and that many talented actresses end up in supporting roles because of their looks. So...at least in my case, it becomes easier for me to think of favorite actors than favorite actresses.

NLee
post #3  on June 20, 2005 - 11:58 AM PDT  
> On June 20, 2005 - 4:30 AM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I have a young adult raccoon who seems to've taken up residence around my place. I'm used to them...but usually they run (waddle-run) when they see me. And don't come out during the day. This one was on my porch at ten a.m. and last night around 9...and didn't run. >_>
> ---------------------------------

Don't get too close! That's usualy the sign of a rabid raccoon.
woozy
post #4  on June 20, 2005 - 1:46 PM PDT  
> Don't get too close! That's usualy the sign of a rabid raccoon.
>
> ---------------------------------

Good point! That didn't occur to me. You should probably call pest control. Rabies is pretty darned serious!

NLee
post #5  on June 20, 2005 - 3:16 PM PDT  
Please say something Battie... are you foaming at the mouth now?
Bowwow
post #6  on June 20, 2005 - 4:39 PM PDT  
I like to chase racoons.
woozy
post #7  on June 20, 2005 - 6:58 PM PDT  
> On June 20, 2005 - 4:39 PM PDT Bowwow wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I like to chase racoons.
> ---------------------------------


Chase a rabid racoon and you might need a foot long needle in your belly.
Battie
post #8  on June 20, 2005 - 8:05 PM PDT  
> On June 20, 2005 - 6:58 PM PDT woozy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Chase a rabid racoon and you might need a foot long needle in your belly.
> ---------------------------------

To be honest, I think it was abandoned prematurely by its mother. It looks scared, but really hungry. :P I'm calling animal control tomorrow anyway. Don't feel like seeing my outside cat mauled. >_>

And umm...I had that once. *shudder* Dog bit me, and "just in case," I had to get the needle. >:|
IronS
post #9  on June 20, 2005 - 8:28 PM PDT  
> On June 20, 2005 - 8:05 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Dog bit me, and "just in case," I had to get the needle. >:|
> ---------------------------------

Zoicks! A dog bit me once, but his teeth didn't bite through my riding boots. Whew!

Hm, I suppose overly complacent deer, wild turkeys and scrub jays are not prone to be rabies carriers? Or should I worry? They don't run/fly away but just stare at me.
jross3
post #10  on June 20, 2005 - 8:46 PM PDT  
I think that deer can carry rabies, but I dunno about birds. That doesn't mean they are healthy... But city birds are practically domesticated, right?

But I think the rule of thumb goes like this: If it's not wary of you, be wary of it - and that applies to salesmen as well, but not to cute black-and-brown kittens you find abandoned.
woozy
post #11  on June 20, 2005 - 9:07 PM PDT  
> Hm, I suppose overly complacent deer, wild turkeys and scrub jays are not prone to be rabies carriers? Or should I worry? They don't run/fly away but just stare at me.
>
> ---------------------------------


You don't have to worry if you don't have contact with them and they behave normally. That sounds like normal behavior. Deer in residential area are pretty complacent. Scrub jays aren't afraid of anything. Do birds (non-mamals) carry rabbies?
shiori308
post #12  on June 20, 2005 - 10:35 PM PDT  
> On June 20, 2005 - 4:30 AM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------

>
> I keep getting the urge to rent Jeremy Irons movies...I blame this commercial I keep seeing for Georgio Armani cologne. *cough* First time I heard it (wasn't watching), I thought it was Jeremy Irons speaking, until the end. :P



Battie you make me laugh! :)


> I keep thinking about my favorite actors and actresses (darn profile) and, honestly, only four or five women come to mind. Why is it that there seems to be more talented male actors than female? Is this just because I'm female, or is it true for many?

I always have a hard time thinking of actresses too but I can think of lots of actors. I don't know why.

> ---------------------------------

Battie
post #13  on June 20, 2005 - 10:39 PM PDT  
Hmm...this rabies thing has me a little freaked out. A few weeks ago a cat I had sort of adopted (people dump stray animals out where I live all the time, and I sometimes end up feeding them) died. She wouldn't eat anything, throwing up, but drank a lot. I found her under my car...kind of paralyzed. Her legs were stiff, and I couldn't move them. She couldn't move either (though she tried). Every now and then, her muscles would twitch.

I don't know the cause (she was extremely skinny by this point, and I hadn't noticed until maybe three days before I found her under my car). I called animal control and they took her. Guess they would've run a rabies test? Now I'm worried that she may have gotten rabies and passed it on to my two cats.

Eh, but the lack of aggression and all the drinking she did would indicate something other than rabies, right?
woozy
post #14  on June 20, 2005 - 11:16 PM PDT  
> I don't know the cause (she was extremely skinny by this point, and I hadn't noticed until maybe three days before I found her under my car). I called animal control and they took her. Guess they would've run a rabies test? Now I'm worried that she may have gotten rabies and passed it on to my two cats.
>
I'd assume so. You can call them and ask. There are a lot of cat deseases a lot more common than rabies. FIDS (I *think* that's what its call feline immune deficiency syndrom is a very nasty one; incurable, contageous, and always fatal). However it sounds like this poor kitty was starving to death when you found her and her liver was too far gone when you did and she just died of liver and kidney failure. :(
Shaky
post #15  on June 21, 2005 - 12:12 AM PDT  
Since this is a "random thought" type of thread...

> On June 20, 2005 - 8:46 PM PDT jross3 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I think that deer can carry rabies, but I dunno about birds. That doesn't mean they are healthy... But city birds are practically domesticated, right?
> ---------------------------------

Birds do not carry rabies. Rabies is restricted to mammals.

The cat with the paralyzed legs does not sound like rabies. It sounds like it was hit by a car. Rabies causes the brain to swell, and the victim generally goes violently insane. If the cat had rabies, you probably wouldn't have been able to pick it up without it attacking you.

What makes the raccoon suspect is that raccoons are nocturnal animals. They generally don't come out during the day. One big reason a raccoon might come out during the day, however, is that it has rabies, has gone insane from the pressure of its brain against its skull and cannot sleep. Raccoons seen during the day should be avoided, because the likelihood is high that something is wrong with it (rabies or otherwise).

Interestingly, one of the least dangerous rabid animals is a bat. Bats do not "carry" rabies, as the old wives tale would have you believe. First, bats are rarely in contact with other rabid animals. They aren't likely to be bitten and infected and then escape the predator alive. Thus, infections are extremely rare.

But even if a bat is infected, its skull is so small and shaped in such a way that when it contracts rabies, the swelling almost immediately paralyzes it. Then it can't fly, and it falls to the ground and dies pretty quickly. If a bat is flying around in your house, it's almost certain that it does NOT have rabies. If you find a sick bat on the ground, however, you should not touch it, just to be safe.

The reason people believe bats carry rabies is that the original rabies tests checked for a certain antibody in the brain as evidence the rabies virus had been present. Bats have a similar antibody in their brains naturally, without having been in contact with rabies. So back in the 50s, when the test wasn't so good, every bat tested in the lab during a major rabies study came back positive for rabies. These were false positives, but newer research with better science, while proving the old research results wrong, hasn't been able to undo the PR damage done by that early research.

I once stood in a tunnel with 2000 bats flying around me in the dark, actually touching me with their wings as they passed. It was amazing.
Battie
post #16  on June 21, 2005 - 1:01 AM PDT  
> On June 21, 2005 - 12:12 AM PDT Shaky wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Since this is a "random thought" type of thread...
>
> The cat with the paralyzed legs does not sound like rabies. It sounds like it was hit by a car. Rabies causes the brain to swell, and the victim generally goes violently insane. If the cat had rabies, you probably wouldn't have been able to pick it up without it attacking you.
> ---------------------------------

No, this was an illness that went on for at least a week. :P

I read somewhere that some animals do not become extremely aggressive. Eh, the racoon is freaky though. It keeps showing up on my porch (even though there's no food there).
artifex
post #17  on June 21, 2005 - 8:47 AM PDT  
> I read somewhere that some animals do not become extremely aggressive. Eh, the racoon is freaky though. It keeps showing up on my porch (even though there's no food there).

I hate to think of it as being rabid. That's certainly an important concern. However, if you call animal control, they'll come get it and kill it and test it for rabies. If it doesn't have rabies, too bad. Maybe you can call animal control and ask if they do humane quarantine? :)

Is it possible for a racoon to be lonely? Maybe displaced from its normal shelter by construction or weather-related damage? It might be hungry. Why not pull out a bowl of water and see if it drinks some, or freaks out? Or maybe not. Better to be safe than sorry. Don't want him going Cujo on you.
woozy
post #18  on June 21, 2005 - 10:23 AM PDT  
> On June 21, 2005 - 12:12 AM PDT Shaky wrote:
> ---------------------------------

> Birds do not carry rabies. Rabies is restricted to mammals.
>
That's what I suspected but I didn't want to say anything that I didn't know for certain.

> Interestingly, one of the least dangerous rabid animals is a bat.
>

I think bats are among the most wonderful and amazing and most misunderstood animals. I didn't know that about the false positive. That's fascinating. If I didn't know better I'd say it almost sounds like bats evolved to be anti-rabies animals. They all are born with anti-bodies and those unlucky enough to get rabies die instantly before they can spread it.


>
> I once stood in a tunnel with 2000 bats flying around me in the dark, actually touching me with their wings as they passed. It was amazing.


That sounds incrediably awesome. When my sister was doing her Ph.D. studies in Austin, Texas, her favorite thing about Austin were the bats.



> On June 21, 2005 - 8:47 AM PDT artifex wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I hate to think of it as being rabid. That's certainly an important concern. However, if you call animal control, they'll come get it and kill it and test it for rabies. If it doesn't have rabies, too bad. Maybe you can call animal control and ask if they do humane quarantine? :)
>

Unfortunately, they won't and if you call animal control they *will* kill it right there and then.

I hate to sound hard-hearted and anthro-centric which usually isn't my nature but I think you should call animal control anyway. As NLee pointed out, that is very unnatural non-rabid racoon behavior and very typical rabid racoon behavior, that a racoon acting that way is probably 90% likely to be rabid. Even if it isn't... well, hate to sound heartless but its not the worst thing in the world. Feral animals in urban populations are health and safty problems when overpopulated, so if it makes you feel better even if un-rabid this will keep the population down. :(
shiori308
post #19  on June 21, 2005 - 11:34 PM PDT  
> On June 21, 2005 - 10:23 AM PDT woozy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On June 21, 2005 - 12:12 AM PDT Shaky wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
>
> > Birds do not carry rabies. Rabies is restricted to mammals.
> >
> That's what I suspected but I didn't want to say anything that I didn't know for certain.
>
> > Interestingly, one of the least dangerous rabid animals is a bat.
> >
>
> I think bats are among the most wonderful and amazing and most misunderstood animals. I didn't know that about the false positive. That's fascinating. If I didn't know better I'd say it almost sounds like bats evolved to be anti-rabies animals. They all are born with anti-bodies and those unlucky enough to get rabies die instantly before they can spread it.
-----------

You learns something new everyday.


I would just like to point out this is the most off-topic a greencine thread can get.


dvyi
post #20  on June 22, 2005 - 4:59 AM PDT  
have you ever woken up and thought it was a different day? i mean especially during a lazy summer you forget days but today i woke up at 4 in the morning by sayin.. @##$$ i cant believe i missed class again.

for some reason i thought wednesday happened yesterday and that i missed my midterm. so i emailed my teacher as soon as i woke up... followed by another email saying oops today is wednesday. dreams really mess with your head.

just thought id put this thread back on topic..
page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.