GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Off Topic & Games
For when your thoughts are drifting to things not so movie, or if you're feeling trivially inclined.
591

tomorrow is the third anniversary of Firefly's premiere
Topic by: artifex
Posted: September 19, 2005 - 12:18 PM PDT
Last Reply: October 6, 2005 - 2:33 PM PDT

author topic: tomorrow is the third anniversary of Firefly's premiere
artifex
post #1  on September 19, 2005 - 12:18 PM PDT  
Firefly premiered September 20, 2002, according to Wikipedia.

Anyone planning on doing anything special to celebrate? :) Or is the idea too geeky to contemplate?
underdog
post #2  on September 19, 2005 - 1:10 PM PDT  
Well, in a couple of weeks you can go see the Firefly movie, Serenity.

Will be curious to hear what Firefly fans make of the film.

C
Cinenaut
post #3  on September 20, 2005 - 9:23 AM PDT  
I've only seen portions of one or two Firefly episodes.

What happens if I watch Serenity first?
artifex
post #4  on September 20, 2005 - 4:23 PM PDT  
> On September 20, 2005 - 9:23 AM PDT Cinenaut wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I've only seen portions of one or two Firefly episodes.
>
> What happens if I watch Serenity first?
> ---------------------------------

You'll be misbehavin' :)
Just kidding. It shouldn't take anything away from the series. But you should watch the episodes you haven't seen at some point. Not only that, but watch them in order, then read what order FOX decided to put them in. :)
Shaky
post #5  on September 20, 2005 - 8:30 PM PDT  
Firefly was a brilliant show. I missed it completely the first time around and didn't watch the DVDs until some folks at work were talking about the Serenity movie. After seeing it, I'm convinced that Fox is run by complete and total idiots.

There was a feature package on the Serenity movie in "The Twenty," that usually stupid preshow that runs in Regal theaters on a video projector before the trailers. In that piece, Joss Whedon talked a little bit about the show being cancelled before its time and the hope that the movie, which has received fantastic response in the test and fan showings, will convince another network to pick it up to continue the series. I believe Sci-Fi has already shown or has a deal to show the original episodes, so maybe they'll give it new life. It would be a shame to leave it as it is.
artifex
post #6  on September 21, 2005 - 11:56 AM PDT  
> On September 20, 2005 - 8:30 PM PDT Shaky wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Firefly was a brilliant show. I missed it completely the first time around and didn't watch the DVDs until some folks at work were talking about the Serenity movie. After seeing it, I'm convinced that Fox is run by complete and total idiots.
>
> There was a feature package on the Serenity movie in "The Twenty," that usually stupid preshow that runs in Regal theaters on a video projector before the trailers. In that piece, Joss Whedon talked a little bit about the show being cancelled before its time and the hope that the movie, which has received fantastic response in the test and fan showings, will convince another network to pick it up to continue the series. I believe Sci-Fi has already shown or has a deal to show the original episodes, so maybe they'll give it new life. It would be a shame to leave it as it is.
> ---------------------------------

Star Trek was just another cancelled series when its first movie was made, too, I think.
jross3
post #7  on September 21, 2005 - 12:59 PM PDT  
> On September 21, 2005 - 11:56 AM PDT artifex wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Star Trek was just another cancelled series when its first movie was made, too, I think.
> ---------------------------------

Too true. I hope that Serenity is a big success, and that they make more movies. A continuation of the TV series wouldn't necessarily be bad, either - but I think that the main story, of River and the mysterious blue-hand people, should also continue in movies.
artifex
post #8  on September 22, 2005 - 1:29 PM PDT  
> On September 21, 2005 - 12:59 PM PDT jross3 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On September 21, 2005 - 11:56 AM PDT artifex wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > Star Trek was just another cancelled series when its first movie was made, too, I think.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> Too true. I hope that Serenity is a big success, and that they make more movies. A continuation of the TV series wouldn't necessarily be bad, either - but I think that the main story, of River and the mysterious blue-hand people, should also continue in movies.
> ---------------------------------

---SPOILER---
-------------
-------------


I think it'd be funny if, at the end of all this, we find out that River's alterations are an experiment done by Blue Sun Corp, etc., because they've detected that whatever alien presence is out there causing reavers (in other words, not just space madness) is slowly heading towards human space, and it turns out people like River will be part of the human defense against it -- meaning everyone has to become allies.

I say funny because, except for the kidnapping part, this is a pretty standard sort of scifi book series plot. In fact, it's so common, I want to call the governed planets the "hegemony" :)
Cinenaut
post #9  on October 2, 2005 - 11:23 AM PDT  
> On September 20, 2005 - 4:23 PM PDT artifex wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> You'll be misbehavin' :)
> ---------------------------------

I saw Serenity! I loved it! I get that "misbehaving" joke now! I really want to watch Firefly!

Shaky
post #10  on October 2, 2005 - 1:42 PM PDT  
I just got back from seeing Serenity. I thought it was great. I wasn't alone in that assessment, because the audience broke into spontaneous applause at the end.

A few things in it struck me as having the potential to confuse someone who hasn't seen the show. Whedon skipped a lot of character development and backstory that was told in the series. On the other hand, he gives you what you really need to know to follow the action. Just as in the series, the dialogue and actors' performances are excellent and are what makes the movie really special.

I just saw the box office results for the weekend. Serenity came in second behind Flightplan with $10.1 million. The competition this weekend wasn't really very fierce. Even so, I hope the series gets picked up again on the success of the movie. There still seems to be a lot of story left to tell.
Cinenaut
post #11  on October 3, 2005 - 1:43 PM PDT  
I think I'm glad I saw the movie before I watched the series.
jeffs
post #12  on October 3, 2005 - 1:45 PM PDT  

I think he walked the fine line quite well. People who have not seen the series wont be lost and he didn't subject those that have seen it to an hour of 'Firefly 101'. I'd still recommend watching the series first however if you have the time.

As good as the movie is, I'd still rather see someone pick up the series than have them make another movie.
artifex
post #13  on October 3, 2005 - 1:53 PM PDT  
> On October 3, 2005 - 1:45 PM PDT jeffs wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>
> I think he walked the fine line quite well. People who have not seen the series wont be lost and he didn't subject those that have seen it to an hour of 'Firefly 101'. I'd still recommend watching the series first however if you have the time.

So, in that regard, is it kind of like an OVA? :)

> As good as the movie is, I'd still rather see someone pick up the series than have them make another movie.

I keep thinking comparisons to Star Trek. SciFi should pick it up.
Cinenaut
post #14  on October 4, 2005 - 8:44 AM PDT  
I just want to say: if anybody is hesitating because they think this movie is for fans only -- just go see it!

Serenity is a great time at the movies, even if you've never seen Firefly.
jeffs
post #15  on October 4, 2005 - 10:34 AM PDT  
> I keep thinking comparisons to Star Trek. SciFi should pick it up.
> ---------------------------------

For those that don't know, they did pick up the first season and are showing it at 7:00 on Fridays. I don't know if it was a way to build interest in the movie or a test by Sci-fi to see what ratings they could get. SciFi would be nice. Unlike Fox, I think they understand the concept of episode 1 being the first episode shown.
Yowanda
post #16  on October 4, 2005 - 1:53 PM PDT  
> On October 4, 2005 - 8:44 AM PDT Cinenaut wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I just want to say: if anybody is hesitating because they think this movie is for fans only -- just go see it!
>
> Serenity is a great time at the movies, even if you've never seen Firefly.
> ---------------------------------


Yes, I agree. My husband knew very little of Firefly and had seen none of it, but he enjoyed the movie a lot too.
goodyerin
post #17  on October 6, 2005 - 2:33 PM PDT  
Loved it.

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.