GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Off Topic & Games
For when your thoughts are drifting to things not so movie, or if you're feeling trivially inclined.
591

Bay Area people
Topic by: doozer
Posted: June 15, 2008 - 1:11 PM PDT
Last Reply: June 23, 2008 - 2:45 PM PDT

page  1  2      prev | next
author topic: Bay Area people
doozer
post #1  on June 15, 2008 - 1:11 PM PDT  
So I've been talked into spending a few awkward weekends in the San Ramon/Danville area. I've been googling, but if anybody can suggest any places I shouldn't miss out on in my free time that would be super.

I generally don't do the club or crowd thing unless it's a special occasion. But I love microbreweries if any of you know of any good ones nearby.
underdog
post #2  on June 16, 2008 - 11:34 AM PDT  
> On June 15, 2008 - 1:11 PM PDT doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> So I've been talked into spending a few awkward weekends in the San Ramon/Danville area. I've been googling, but if anybody can suggest any places I shouldn't miss out on in my free time that would be super.
>
> I generally don't do the club or crowd thing unless it's a special occasion. But I love microbreweries if any of you know of any good ones nearby.
> ---------------------------------

The best thing about that area is it's not far from a BART station, which can then easily take you to San Francisco, where this is actually plenty to do. As for San Ramon, I think there are a few good eateries and cute shops. Maybe try searching Yelp? Danville always struck me as a rich suburb (hope that doesn't offend anyone). Walnut Creek and Dublin both also have some cute areas and places to eat. But, I may be bias as an SF resident, but if you really want to check out cool microbreweries and eateries and so on, going to Berkeley and SF would be a better bet imho.
doozer
post #3  on June 16, 2008 - 11:46 AM PDT  
> On June 16, 2008 - 11:34 AM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>
>
>Danville always struck me as a rich suburb (hope that doesn't offend anyone).

It offended me! Not really, but it does surprise me. Rich suburb?? I have estranged family there and I can't imagine any one of us ever getting into a rich suburb. Especially this particular side of my family.


Thanks for the heads up on Berkeley though, it didn't even occur to me where that might be in relation. I have some friends there I could stand to visit.
underdog
post #4  on June 16, 2008 - 12:41 PM PDT  
> On June 16, 2008 - 11:46 AM PDT doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On June 16, 2008 - 11:34 AM PDT underdog wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> >
> >
> >Danville always struck me as a rich suburb (hope that doesn't offend anyone).
>
> It offended me! Not really, but it does surprise me. Rich suburb?? I have estranged family there and I can't imagine any one of us ever getting into a rich suburb. Especially this particular side of my family.

Hrm, yeah I'm sure there's totally another side of it I've never seen. But when was the last time you were there? Well, it's no Blackhawk, that's for sure. That place really is exclusive. I can't even afford to go past it.

>
>
> Thanks for the heads up on Berkeley though, it didn't even occur to me where that might be in relation. I have some friends there I could stand to visit.
> ---------------------------------

Ooo! Triple Rock Microbrew is one cool place, just remembered. On Shattuck near the UC campus.
doozer
post #5  on June 16, 2008 - 12:46 PM PDT  
> On June 16, 2008 - 12:41 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> > > ---------------------------------
> > >
> > >
>
> Hrm, yeah I'm sure there's totally another side of it I've never seen. But when was the last time you were there? Well, it's no Blackhawk, that's for sure. That place really is exclusive. I can't even afford to go past it.



I've never actually been there. I have a half sibling residing there that wants me to come up for a visit. It must be that other half of him that lives well, because our dad didn't leave much in the way of inheritance and he surely didn't pass on any "rich" genes. Maybe he's the hired help ^_^


Thanks for the brewery recommendations. I'm always excited to try local beers in new places.
troublemaker
post #6  on June 16, 2008 - 7:08 PM PDT  
If you mozy your away over to San Francisco, you're almost obliged to hit up Toronado on Haight. It's not a brewery per se' but will be one of the single best selections of delicious brews both on tap and in bottles. I recommend trying a Russian River selection on tap (Pliny the Elder if you like 'em hoppy!) and maybe a bottled Belgium ale like Rochefort Trappist 10. And since you're there, might as well grab a sausage next door at Rosamunde. You won't regret it. Plus, the two stores have a good relationship going and you can always bring your dog into the bar.

About a mile down on Haight is a brewpub called Magnolia. They usually have about 2~3 beers on a cask-pump and if you haven't had beer treated in this manner, you owe it to yourself to do so. Cask beers are hand-pumped and are less carbonated, more malty, and more often higher in their alc% ;)

Yeah, you can say I like the occasional beer or two..
doozer
post #7  on June 16, 2008 - 8:02 PM PDT  
> On June 16, 2008 - 7:08 PM PDT troublemaker wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> If you mozy your away over to San Francisco, you're almost obliged to hit up Toronado on Haight. It's not a brewery per se' but will be one of the single best selections of delicious brews both on tap and in bottles. I recommend trying a Russian River selection on tap (Pliny the Elder if you like 'em hoppy!) and maybe a bottled Belgium ale like Rochefort Trappist 10. And since you're there, might as well grab a sausage next door at Rosamunde. You won't regret it. Plus, the two stores have a good relationship going and you can always bring your dog into the bar.
>
> About a mile down on Haight is a brewpub called Magnolia. They usually have about 2~3 beers on a cask-pump and if you haven't had beer treated in this manner, you owe it to yourself to do so. Cask beers are hand-pumped and are less carbonated, more malty, and more often higher in their alc% ;)
>
> Yeah, you can say I like the occasional beer or two..
> ---------------------------------


Screw my awkward family! I'm considering a trip JUST to go to Magnolia for a cask ale. I've always wanted to try it but have not yet been so lucky. You also had me at "Rochefort 10". There's a bar not too far from me that has Rochefort 8 and I finally made my way over there for birthday beers and had one, but I prefer something darker.
Catullus
post #8  on June 16, 2008 - 9:01 PM PDT  
actually danville is more of an upper middle class suburb and san ramon is pretty much the same, you are better off going north to walnut creek or south to dublin where there is a lot more going on.

coincidentally there are bart stations in dublin and walnut creek if you want to go to more populated areas.

I like san ramon and indeed there are quite a few good places to eat there but there really isn't much to do at all. Danville has a cutesy downtown area but I dont think it will be able to hold your attention for more than an hour.
doozer
post #9  on June 16, 2008 - 9:07 PM PDT  
> On June 16, 2008 - 9:01 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>I dont think it will be able to hold your attention for more than an hour.
> ---------------------------------

Wait...the general human beings attention or *my* attention. Such an important distinction ^_^

I don't really get to choose where I'll be staying unless I front money for a hotel. I'm really just going to get some family things but figured a distraction would be necessary.
Catullus
post #10  on June 16, 2008 - 9:34 PM PDT  
> On June 16, 2008 - 9:07 PM PDT doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On June 16, 2008 - 9:01 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> >I dont think it will be able to hold your attention for more than an hour.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> Wait...the general human beings attention or *my* attention. Such an important distinction ^_^

> ---------------------------------
both, there really is nothing to do in danville
doozer
post #11  on June 16, 2008 - 9:37 PM PDT  
> On June 16, 2008 - 9:34 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
>
>
> > ---------------------------------
> both, there really is nothing to do in danville
>
> ---------------------------------

I kinda figured. All the pictures look cookie cutter.
DLeonard
post #12  on June 16, 2008 - 10:03 PM PDT  
Berkeley and Oakland are about a 30 min drive from Danville and in addition to Triple Rock there is Jupiter which has a nice back patio and will at times have live music happening.

But the real treat is the
Parkway Theatre
drink beer and watch a movie sitting on a sofa.
Just an OK selection of films coming up, but after a few beers "Harold and Kumar" maybe frikkin hilarious.


shiftless
post #13  on June 17, 2008 - 3:36 PM PDT  
If you go to Toronado, be prepared for bad heavy metal at conversation-preventing volume. I live 2 blocks from it and it used to be a staple until I got tired of hair bands. Now I'm more likely to visit Cafe Du Soleil around the corner which has a few beers I like, a nicer atmosphere, and food.

I've heard good things about the Pyramid Brewery ( http://www.pyramidbrew.com/alehouses/berkeley.php ) which is closer to you in Berkeley. They might have live music going on.
troublemaker
post #14  on June 17, 2008 - 3:52 PM PDT  
Almost forgot about this! Take a peek at the Beer Mapping Project for the city of SF. It most certainly will be an aid for your travels.

Shiftless is right in that the atmosphere at Toronado is hit or miss, but I do think it's worth at least a small pit stop, if anything their beer selection justifies it.

If you're going to go to Berkeley, might as well make the extra effort to get to San Fran and hit up the beer joints there. I haven't been much of a fan of Pyramid, and the last time I went to their place in Berkeley, I found even their draft beers to be disappointing.

Personally, I would say if you want a micro brew adventure make sure you go to both Toronado and Magnolia. Rogue is also a fairly decent place insofar as their beer selection is concerned. Speakeasy actually brews some of their own beer and will have maybe 4~5 available to try. And if you get to the city early, might as well stop by Buena Vista for their tourist-friendly Irish coffee's. I'll admit that they may be slightly overpriced but at least they're super tasty.
doozer
post #15  on June 18, 2008 - 2:45 PM PDT  
Thanks for the recommendations. It sounds like I'll have plenty to occupy me over a couple of days.


> On June 17, 2008 - 3:52 PM PDT troublemaker wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Almost forgot about this! Take a peek at the Beer Mapping Project for the city of SF. It most certainly will be an aid for your travels.


Thank you SO MUCH for this. Best map EVER! Thanks to this map, I now know that the Beverages and More in Walnut Creek has Newcastle in a can in stock. Might not sound like a big deal but there is maybe 1 BevMo out of the 10 in my area that stocks it somewhat regularly. It is a vast improvement over the clear bottled version. Whoever thought of putting beer in a clear bottle?
crazypaws
post #16  on June 19, 2008 - 12:23 AM PDT  
If you find yourself in SF and are little bit hungry for some Burmese & Mandarin Cuisine....my favorite place to eat is Mandalay Restaurant.
California St at 6th Ave.

www.Mandalaysf.com

If it is a weekend then may I suggest that you make a reservation just so you arent waiting an hour for a table.
underdog
post #17  on June 19, 2008 - 9:57 AM PDT  
> On June 19, 2008 - 12:23 AM PDT crazypaws wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> If you find yourself in SF and are little bit hungry for some Burmese & Mandarin Cuisine....my favorite place to eat is Mandalay Restaurant.
> California St at 6th Ave.
>
> www.Mandalaysf.com
>
> If it is a weekend then may I suggest that you make a reservation just so you arent waiting an hour for a table.
> ---------------------------------

I love Mandalay too! That's where I go after giving up on trying to get into Burma SuperStar around the corner on Clement. Which is also super but no better than Mandalay and even more crowded.


Mmmmm!
crazypaws
post #18  on June 19, 2008 - 2:55 PM PDT  
> On June 19, 2008 - 9:57 AM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On June 19, 2008 - 12:23 AM PDT crazypaws wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > If you find yourself in SF and are little bit hungry for some Burmese & Mandarin Cuisine....my favorite place to eat is Mandalay Restaurant.
> > California St at 6th Ave.
> >
> > www.Mandalaysf.com
> >
> > If it is a weekend then may I suggest that you make a reservation just so you arent waiting an hour for a table.
> > ---------------------------------
>

Now I am hungry.
I travel from Livermore to SF just to eat there.
I love the service, but learned quickly to make reservations first. We were seated within 10 minutes of our time scheduled. It took longer to find parking. I love the fact that if there is a long wait and the waiting area is crowded, they serve a FREE glass of wine to everyone in the lobby that wants one.
Each time we have opted to not order dessert, it was given to us ...compliments from the management.
They even sang me happy birthday, with a silly song being played over the music system. It was kind of them....everyone joined in and sang to me.

Now that I have been talking about the place I just might have to venture over there to the COOLER side of the bay to eat at the Mandalay.
It is just too hot in Livermore.
And Danville is quite warm too.
I must remember to take a jacket!

doozer
post #19  on June 19, 2008 - 9:34 PM PDT  
So I've made myself a little map of all of these places but I'm not confident in my ability to read a map while drinking ._.
crazypaws
post #20  on June 19, 2008 - 11:50 PM PDT  
> On June 19, 2008 - 9:34 PM PDT doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> So I've made myself a little map of all of these places but I'm not confident in my ability to read a map while drinking ._.
> ---------------------------------

If you make it to the City drink all you want and call a cab to go eat, then you wont have to read a map. Just give the driver the address.
page  1  2      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.