GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Home Releases
General discussion about what's out for the couch.
274

Your DVD collection
Topic by: Ayato
Posted: June 6, 2004 - 12:19 PM PDT
Last Reply: July 6, 2004 - 5:33 AM PDT

page  1  2  3      prev | next
author topic: Your DVD collection
Ayato
post #1  on June 6, 2004 - 12:19 PM PDT  
Post yours here.


Mine is kinda small and random...
lizzoqops
post #2  on June 6, 2004 - 7:59 PM PDT  
> On June 6, 2004 - 12:19 PM PDT Ayato wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Post yours here.
>
>
> Mine is kinda small and random...
> ---------------------------------

That looks like a good start : )

Here's mine. The worst part is how many are in my "to watch" pile. It's an evil hobby.
Eoliano
post #3  on June 7, 2004 - 10:31 AM PDT  
I've been using DVD Profiler, but unless you pay a $25 registration fee you cannot upload titles online, however, their database is very comprehensive.

Here is my list, although not all of my R2 titles are in their database and I have yet to upload all the titles in DVD Profiler, including those in the wish list and some that I haven't yet entered yet.

Thanks for pointing me to DVD Aficionado!
underdog
post #4  on June 7, 2004 - 3:16 PM PDT  
Wow, great lists folks!

Eoliano, I love all the films on your mighty list (with the possible exception of The Night Porter, which I revisited again recently and found extremely ponderous... but the filmmaking itself is still really interesting) But we're not really commenting on individual films in this thread, anyway, are we? :0) But a fine list it is.

My list seems kind of sparse at the moment, but I've been renting (or borrowing) from here much more than buying, and have been a bit slow to build my library. Tons on my Amazon wish list though. I keep thinking about the many films on my all-time favorites list that I don't yet own; hope to rectify that someday... But for now, this'll do.

C

Eoliano
post #5  on June 7, 2004 - 6:03 PM PDT  
> Eoliano, I love all the films on your mighty list (with the possible exception of The Night Porter, which I revisited again recently and found extremely ponderous...but the filmmaking itself is still really interesting)

Well, I have to agree with you, it's interesting some of the way, but by no means is it a great film. That was a title I bought for my ex and for some odd reason she passed it by. However, there are two reasons for keeping it in place: *Charlotte Rampling* and Dirk Bogarde.

> But we're not really commenting on individual films in this thread, anyway, are we? :0) But a fine list it is.

Thanks Craig! If someone wants to add their comments I see no reason not to, after all, you just did!

Your list reminded me that a couple of titles are still missing like Dr. Strangelove and Lolita... how could I forget! And hey, I have yet to see Berkeley in the Sixties, though to some extant, I lived it. Oh, yeah, and where oh where is Woody?
underdog
post #6  on June 8, 2004 - 11:28 AM PDT  
> On June 7, 2004 - 6:03 PM PDT Eoliano wrote:

>However, there are two reasons for keeping it in place: *Charlotte Rampling* and Dirk Bogarde.

Hmm, yeah, Rampling is more than enough justification for me. ;-)


> Your list reminded me that a couple of titles are still missing like Dr. Strangelove and Lolita... how could I forget! And hey, I have yet to see Berkeley in the Sixties, though to some extant, I lived it. Oh, yeah, and where oh where is Woody?
> ---------------------------------

And I just realized I forgot a few other owned films for my dvdaficianado list so I added them this morning... You shuold definitely see Berkeley, although I admit to getting that copy directly from the filmmaker himself, who I've done some work for. But it's worth owning, or at least renting, very well done.

I need more Woody on DVD, too.

I'm curious -- how many people replace VHS movies with DVDs of the same title, and then what do you do with those VHS tapes once you have a version on disc? I still have some redundant titles, after giving a few away...

C
Eoliano
post #7  on June 8, 2004 - 2:10 PM PDT  
> Hmm, yeah, Rampling is more than enough justification for me. ;-)

And a good reason to own a few more. I have photo of Rampling by Helmut Newton indelibly embossed in my memory. Know which one I mean? [g]

> And I just realized I forgot a few other owned films for my dvdaficianado list so I added them this morning...

More, there's always more...

> You shuold definitely see Berkeley, although I admit to getting that copy directly from the filmmaker himself, who I've done some work for. But it's worth owning, or at least renting, very well done.

I don't know that I'd want to own it, but any reasonably intelligent document about that era is always worth the attention. Okay, so you convinced me already, Berkeley it's now in my queue!

> I'm curious -- how many people replace VHS movies with DVDs of the same title, and then what do you do with those VHS tapes once you have a version on disc? I still have some redundant titles, after giving a few away...

People can always donate VHS tapes to their local library or, like you, give them to friends. I was never much of a VHS collector, however, I did collect a lot of LDs which have pretty much been replaced with the exception of titles like The Burmese Harp, Sansho the Bailiffand the soon to be released Out of the Past. I sold most of my laserdisc collection on eBay and have gradually been replacing some of the more coveted DVD titles that went the way of the big D...
cathycathy
post #8  on June 8, 2004 - 6:15 PM PDT  
My list is pretty random, with some blockbusters, some foreign, some independents, and some cartoons for the kid. The result of a marriage of two movie people with not always similar movie tastes.
Ayato
post #9  on June 13, 2004 - 7:23 PM PDT  
...I just went on a crazy DVD buying spree, I got:

Chaos
Wild Zero
Boogiepop phantom
Fudoh
Versus
A Clockwork orange
Bio Zombie

o_o


lizzoqops
post #10  on June 14, 2004 - 12:07 PM PDT  
> On June 13, 2004 - 7:23 PM PDT Ayato wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> ...I just went on a crazy DVD buying spree, I got:
>
> Chaos
> Wild Zero
> Boogiepop phantom
> Fudoh
> Versus
> A Clockwork orange
> Bio Zombie
>
> o_o
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------

That list looks like a fun O.D. I wish I could watch "Wild Zero" and "Bio Zombie" all over again for the first time.

We should turn this into a "what did you just get" thread.

Kill Chiba Box Set
Away With Words
Don't Stop My Crazy Love For You

are on their way to me.

JBellows
post #11  on June 14, 2004 - 5:17 PM PDT  
*misposted on another thread, whooops*

"...I bought in the last month: Kung Pow, Versus and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. All this because I saw these from GC. Praise be to GC, all praise to Celia, GC is good, Celia is good.

Oh, I need some help here. Other than Tsukikage Ran, any other films that feature sake? (And no recommendations of Leaving Las Vegas, por favor. That put me on the wagon for about six months and I lost twenty pounds. I had six pack abs. Dammit. Not the six pack I wanted.)"
Ayato
post #12  on June 14, 2004 - 8:06 PM PDT  
Sake?

Well I remember there was sake in "The Last Samurai"...
ColonelKong
post #13  on June 14, 2004 - 8:17 PM PDT  
Recent DVD acquisitions: (If anyone cares)

Clash of the Titans (Maybe not as great as when I was 11 years old, but still a lot of fun. I wish I had more opportunities to use the phrase "Unleash the Kraken!" in everyday conversation)

Jaws (I did not own a copy until now, believe it or not!)

Das Boot 5hr miniseries version (this film and the previous one make for a pretty good "terror in the water" double feature if you've got about seven hours to kill)

The Underneath (I've never seen this Austin TX noir by Steven Soderbergh, I found a really cheap copy in a bargain bin)

The Ladykillers (1955) (Found a copy on sale at Target for $7.50, I'd actually rented it from GC not too long ago, it's better than the Coen bros remake/parody)

The Simpsons: Season 4 (my most recent purchase, it should arrive in the mail this week)
lizzoqops
post #14  on June 15, 2004 - 12:16 PM PDT  
> On June 14, 2004 - 5:17 PM PDT JBellows wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Oh, I need some help here. Other than Tsukikage Ran, any other films that feature sake? (And no recommendations of Leaving Las Vegas, por favor. That put me on the wagon for about six months and I lost twenty pounds. I had six pack abs. Dammit. Not the six pack I wanted.)"
> ---------------------------------

I have vague memories of a sake explosion in "Sanjuro". And "Twilight Samurai", doesn't Sanada work in a sake place? It's been a while since I've seen it.

sinisterguffaw
post #15  on June 15, 2004 - 12:46 PM PDT  
> On June 14, 2004 - 5:17 PM PDT JBellows wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> *misposted on another thread, whooops*
> ...
> Oh, I need some help here. Other than Tsukikage Ran, any other films that feature sake?
...
> ---------------------------------

You're gonna get double your money's worth on answers for this one. I already said it in the other thread, and Lizzo already said Yojimbo, but I'll repeat the rest here for posterity. Try also Sanjuro, In the Realm of the Senses, and In the Realm of Passion. Links provided in alternate thread.
lizzoqops
post #16  on June 15, 2004 - 12:57 PM PDT  
I meant "Yojimbo" even though I said "Sanjuro". Damn, how did you know that? : )
Ayato
post #17  on June 15, 2004 - 1:13 PM PDT  
> On June 14, 2004 - 8:17 PM PDT ColonelKong wrote:
> ---------------------------------

>
> Jaws (I did not own a copy until now, believe it or not!)
>


Actually, ive never seen that movie...
:-0

JBellows
post #18  on June 15, 2004 - 2:05 PM PDT  
The epic story of a man at sea. In the tradition of Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet comes the story of a love that is as wide...and as deep...as the ocean. And under the water, what secret might surface to shatter the hearts of the crew as they attempt to master nature?

The story will be told down the generations.

The story...is Jaws.

"I cried and almost crapped myself at the same time," one critic said.

"Obviously a metaphor for man's love for nature that has only been seen one other time, in 'Dude, Where's My Car?'" writes another critic.

"You in the mood for some sushi?" overheard by a member of the audience.

"Dude, you suck. Who can afford sushi in this economy?" said another audience member.

"Got my Mom's credit card," defends the movie goer.

"Then why stop at sushi. Let's get the 10 out plan at Greencine," admits his hentai friend.

"Rent this fine masterpiece by Martin Scorcese kinda sorta and seen by Matt Dillon probably!"

> On June 15, 2004 - 1:13 PM PDT Ayato wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On June 14, 2004 - 8:17 PM PDT ColonelKong wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
>
> >
> > Jaws (I did not own a copy until now, believe it or not!)
> >
>
>
> Actually, ive never seen that movie...
> :-0
>
>
> ---------------------------------

sinisterguffaw
post #19  on June 15, 2004 - 4:12 PM PDT  
> On June 15, 2004 - 12:57 PM PDT lizzoqops wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I meant "Yojimbo" even though I said "Sanjuro". Damn, how did you know that? : )
> ---------------------------------

i'M pSYCHO... er, psychic...
lizzoqops
post #20  on June 15, 2004 - 7:09 PM PDT  
JB makes "Jaws" sound even more fun, if that's possible. It really is good, and not in a Titanic kind of way.
page  1  2  3      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.