GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Home Releases
General discussion about what's out for the couch.
274

New Releases Lately
Topic by: Battie
Posted: June 15, 2005 - 11:54 PM PDT
Last Reply: June 18, 2005 - 1:39 AM PDT

author topic: New Releases Lately
Battie
post #1  on June 15, 2005 - 11:54 PM PDT  
Ah...Son of the Mask is out on DVD. When I first heard of this being made, however long ago, I was actually interested. I love The Mask (with Jim Carrey). IMO, it surpasses some of the "hit" comedies that come out these days.

But what do they do with the sequel? (Nevermind that there really shouldn't have been one.) They turn it into a FAMILY MOVIE! Gag me. Please. I might say something rude. Plus, from the clips I could see, the CGI was more over-the-top than the first one, and not in a good way. *sigh*

And um...I hate Ben Stiller. >:D Not sure why.

Anyone have any new release they want to see/refuse to see?
underdog
post #2  on June 16, 2005 - 1:16 PM PDT  
If by "new release" you mean new Hollywood films coming out on DVD, then I'd say... very few appeal to me at all. There are certainly newly released DVDs I look forward to, international films, or stuff only now seeing the light of day, or indie films... maybe a few Hollywood ones, but even those aren't particularly mainstream (like Kinsey f'rinstance). I think the fact that I now have free cable in my new apt., which is a bit scary (see my blog posting on it), means I have access to movie channels that show a lot of those new Hollywood releases ad nauseum, so if I ever feel the need to see, say, Elf, I can do that without much effort (or enjoyment, although I did laugh a few times).

So, essentially, the answer from me is, nope, not much I'm looking forward to, and Son of the Mask looks painful. There are some coming attractions I've seen lately that were so gawdawful torturous that I almost walked out until they were over, and my eyes rolled so far out of my head I could almost see the people behind me.

Battie
post #3  on June 16, 2005 - 6:39 PM PDT  
> On June 16, 2005 - 1:16 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> If by "new release" you mean new Hollywood films coming out on DVD, then I'd say... very few appeal to me at all. There are certainly newly released DVDs I look forward to, international films, or stuff only now seeing the light of day, or indie films... maybe a few Hollywood ones, but even those aren't particularly mainstream (like Kinsey f'rinstance). I think the fact that I now have free cable in my new apt., which is a bit scary (see my blog posting on it), means I have access to movie channels that show a lot of those new Hollywood releases ad nauseum, so if I ever feel the need to see, say, Elf, I can do that without much effort (or enjoyment, although I did laugh a few times).
>
> So, essentially, the answer from me is, nope, not much I'm looking forward to, and Son of the Mask looks painful. There are some coming attractions I've seen lately that were so gawdawful torturous that I almost walked out until they were over, and my eyes rolled so far out of my head I could almost see the people behind me.
> ---------------------------------

Well, any new release actually. But particularly the Hollywood ones. I wanted to see how many people watch a multitude of genres. :P

The majority of my queue at NF is older movies and independent/foreign/weird. But I'll happily shell out $6.50 for a movie ticket to "big" releases, haha. (As another thread aptly demonstrated.) I'm basically willing to watch almost anything. But Son of the Mask makes even me, zombie-lover, wince.

Free cable? Jeeez. I need that. My cable it almost $50! For basic and expanded basic. And they're trying to halt the bill to allow telephone companies to bring in cable service. *snorts*
IronS
post #4  on June 16, 2005 - 7:41 PM PDT  
> On June 16, 2005 - 6:39 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> But I'll happily shell out $6.50 for a movie ticket to "big" releases, haha.
>

Gosh, I don't remember the last time I paid $6.50 for a movie ticket... it must have been years ago...
Battie
post #5  on June 16, 2005 - 8:06 PM PDT  
> On June 16, 2005 - 7:41 PM PDT IronS wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Gosh, I don't remember the last time I paid $6.50 for a movie ticket... it must have been years ago...
> ---------------------------------

LoL! Do you mean that in, "I haven't seen a movie in theaters in years," or in, "It's way more expensive where I live"?
Eoliano
post #6  on June 16, 2005 - 8:09 PM PDT  
> Gosh, I don't remember the last time I paid $6.50 for a movie ticket... it must have been years ago...

That's the average price for a matinee here in the California desert and around Dallas/Ft. Worth too, I guess, but in the Big City it's upwards of 10 bucks, and in Tokyo... Fuhgeddaboudit!
Battie
post #7  on June 16, 2005 - 8:39 PM PDT  
> On June 16, 2005 - 8:09 PM PDT Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > Gosh, I don't remember the last time I paid $6.50 for a movie ticket... it must have been years ago...
>
> That's the average price for a matinee here in the California desert and around Dallas/Ft. Worth too, I guess, but in the Big City it's upwards of 10 bucks, and in Tokyo... Fuhgeddaboudit!
> ---------------------------------

Hahaha! It's $8.50 at night. >_> I like midnight showings, but the crowds AND the price suck.

Upwards of $10? Yeesh. Well, I guess there are some advantages to living here. :P
woozy
post #8  on June 16, 2005 - 8:42 PM PDT  
> That's the average price for a matinee here in the California desert and around Dallas/Ft. Worth too, I guess, but in the Big City it's upwards of 10 bucks, and in Tokyo... Fuhgeddaboudit!
> ---------------------------------

Matinees are usually 7 bucks. Sometimes as low as 5.50 but you have to search. Full price are between 8.50 to 11.55 and average about 9.25. It's been years since I paid 6.50... That might have been the time IronS, JFK, and Marilyn Manson and I went to see the executive screening of Fahrenheit 911 back an April 31, 1981. That was the day I was impregnated by aliens (I gave birth to Britney Spears nine months later) after seeing IronS' Nancy icon naked the first time. IronS will deny this ever happened though.

Battie
post #9  on June 16, 2005 - 10:10 PM PDT  
> On June 16, 2005 - 8:42 PM PDT woozy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Matinees are usually 7 bucks. Sometimes as low as 5.50 but you have to search. Full price are between 8.50 to 11.55 and average about 9.25. It's been years since I paid 6.50... That might have been the time IronS, JFK, and Marilyn Manson and I went to see the executive screening of Fahrenheit 911 back an April 31, 1981. That was the day I was impregnated by aliens (I gave birth to Britney Spears nine months later) after seeing IronS' Nancy icon naked the first time. IronS will deny this ever happened though.
> ---------------------------------

...You've a rich fantasy life, luv. >:P
underdog
post #10  on June 17, 2005 - 9:51 AM PDT  
Yeah, that's the other thing - depending on where you live, movie tickets have gotten pretty exorbitant. I mean, I went to a "bargain matinee" show the other day and it was 8 bucks. As opposed to ten. Yeesh. That's life in the big city for you.

So I've gotten pickier about what I see in "prime time" given financial considerations. I still prefer to see movies in the theater, but between the fact that much of Hollywood's output is uninspiring these days and that movie theater experiences have gotten worse, and the prices, it's hard not to be picky about it.

But I still like to support both independent theater chains and indie and int'l films, and there are plenty of great films coming here every week. And the ones I miss? DVD.

And my free cable deal is part of a package to entice me to move into my new apartment - which is more expensive than my last place, but with free cable, utilities and DSL, I'm not spending much more than I was. But I'd been temped to cut out cable altogether when moving, if not for this deal, because of the major distraction it causes. Still, to paraphrase that Bruce Springsteen song, there's "57 (or 570) channels and nothing on."

Battie
post #11  on June 17, 2005 - 12:56 PM PDT  
> On June 17, 2005 - 9:51 AM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Yeah, that's the other thing - depending on where you live, movie tickets have gotten pretty exorbitant. I mean, I went to a "bargain matinee" show the other day and it was 8 bucks. As opposed to ten. Yeesh. That's life in the big city for you.
>
> So I've gotten pickier about what I see in "prime time" given financial considerations. I still prefer to see movies in the theater, but between the fact that much of Hollywood's output is uninspiring these days and that movie theater experiences have gotten worse, and the prices, it's hard not to be picky about it.
>
> But I still like to support both independent theater chains and indie and int'l films, and there are plenty of great films coming here every week. And the ones I miss? DVD.
>
> And my free cable deal is part of a package to entice me to move into my new apartment - which is more expensive than my last place, but with free cable, utilities and DSL, I'm not spending much more than I was. But I'd been temped to cut out cable altogether when moving, if not for this deal, because of the major distraction it causes. Still, to paraphrase that Bruce Springsteen song, there's "57 (or 570) channels and nothing on."
> ---------------------------------

Hmmm...yeah, a girl I talk to in Australia complained about the prices, too. I told her to sneak her own drink and food in and she said they SEARCH THE BAGS. I was very shocked. I don't do it too often, but sometimes I'll sneak in a Dr. Pepper and some candy. :P

Strangely enough, the theater experience here is usually very, very good. They built this absolutely huge theater about 20-25 miles from me (which is not that far, IMO). It put all the other theaters out of business. :S But, it has 30 screens, some of which are absolutely HUGE. Since it's AMC, there's a Moviewatcher's card (I've gotten a lot of free popcorn and some free movie tickets). They keep the place clean, and generally phone calls and other random crappy noises aren't tolerated. Nice decor, etc.

We also have an Anjelika's theater in Dallas. I keep meaning to go, but when I have the money, there's nothing I want to see, and when there's something I want to see, I don't have the money. Plus, it's like forty-five miles away, and while I know parts of that area, I can get lost in others (last time I was out that way, I had a small accident that involved me hitting someone from behind--but it didn't cause damage, haha).

Bargain tickets here (there used to be a theater that was really cheap, like $3, but it closed) can sometimes only be $1 (depending on where you live), but they only show movies that have been out for a long time. In fact, they're usually about to go out on DVD. And the theaters are usually grungy. I walked into one once and my feet stuck to the concrete every step of the way.
underdog
post #12  on June 17, 2005 - 1:27 PM PDT  
> On June 17, 2005 - 12:56 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------

>And the theaters are usually grungy. I walked into one once and my feet stuck to the concrete every step of the way.
> ---------------------------------

See, I can get that experience at home, too! ;-)


But, seriously, we do have some of those 2nd run theaters here, which aren't a dollar but sometimes really cheap, and sometimes have double bills. The Balboa Theater now has a great booking manager and offers up fine fare, still a bargain. Yeah, usually you have to go towards the 'burbs to get a better deal. There are some huge new theaters in the Bay Area too, but the AMC theaters in SF suck - the newest one seems to attract the most idiotic, rudest crowds, depending on the movie. And another single-screen theater just bit the dust here, The Coronet, where I had some fine memories. Sigh.
DLeonard
post #13  on June 17, 2005 - 1:52 PM PDT  
I feel very lucky as far as the movie house thing goes.
My job is blocks away from both The Roxie and Castro, where off-beat, foreign, revival and various film fests get their screenings.

At home, I'm blocks away from one of the great old movie palaces, The Grand Lake, where I just saw the newest Star Wars film. I may have to walk down to see Batman Begins this weekend.

Also near home (maybe 6 blocks) is the one and only Parkway, where admission is $6 and the beer and pizza is brought to you while you watch the film sitting on a couch. How can there not be more places like this? A movie like Kung Fu Hustle is just ready made for that theatre (saw it there a couple weeks back).

As far as the subject at hand, Dark Water will be released next week. Very eager to see that. I'm talking about the Japanese original, but I am also interested in the upcoming American remake.
woozy
post #14  on June 17, 2005 - 2:09 PM PDT  

> My job is blocks away from both The Roxie and Castro, >
Nifty!

> At home, I'm blocks away from one of the great old movie palaces, The Grand Lake,

Double Nifty!

> Also near home (maybe 6 blocks) is the one and only Parkway,

utterly fantastically one phenomenally nifty! I am soooo jealous.

I'm not far from the long departed and much lamented U.C. Theater but its long departed and much lamented :(

Eoliano
post #15  on June 17, 2005 - 2:29 PM PDT  
> And another single-screen theater just bit the dust here, The Coronet, where I had some fine memories. Sigh.

Oh no! The Coronet! Man, along with The Northpoint, that was one of the best big screens in the city, and in my old neighborhood too. I think the last film I saw there was The Thin Red Line, but I remember seeing Godfather II and Star Wars there too.

R.I.P.
Battie
post #16  on June 17, 2005 - 3:58 PM PDT  
> On June 17, 2005 - 1:27 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> But, seriously, we do have some of those 2nd run theaters here, which aren't a dollar but sometimes really cheap, and sometimes have double bills. The Balboa Theater now has a great booking manager and offers up fine fare, still a bargain. Yeah, usually you have to go towards the 'burbs to get a better deal. There are some huge new theaters in the Bay Area too, but the AMC theaters in SF suck - the newest one seems to attract the most idiotic, rudest crowds, depending on the movie. And another single-screen theater just bit the dust here, The Coronet, where I had some fine memories. Sigh.
> ---------------------------------

Well, this is Texas...so we have a limited number of theaters, and not so many "nifty" ones.

AMC 30 (the big one) isn't too bad. It depends on the time of day and movie. I went to see some horror movie around midnight that had just opened and had to content with some idiots in the back yelling at the screen in laughing the first 20 minutes. Damned teenagers (I say this often, and I'm just a few years older >_>). I was tempted to do several things: Scream at the top of my lungs, "Hey, children! Do I need to call your parents?", walk into the lobby and grab me some ushers to have them kicked out, or get out of my seat calmly and go dump my cold soda over their heads with a, "Maybe that will cool you down. I'm trying to watch the movie, please be silent from now on." Instead, I maintained what little self-control I had, and silently grumbled in my seat. But these days...I tend to tell people like that off. I have both more toleration AND less (depends on the situation).

But usually the crowds, even when it's a bunch of teenagers, are pretty well-behaved.
Battie
post #17  on June 17, 2005 - 4:00 PM PDT  
I recall sitting down to some movie I wanted to see really bad...and when it came on, it was "Lucky Numbers." About half the audience got up to complain that it was the wrong movie (it was a relatively small audience), and we got free tickets out of the mix-up. :P

I love freebies. ^_^
Cugat
post #18  on June 17, 2005 - 4:46 PM PDT  
On June 17, 2005 - 3:58 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> I went to see some horror movie around midnight that had just opened and had to content with some idiots in the back yelling at the screen in laughing the first 20 minutes.

Hopefully you meant first 20 minutes of the movie. Otherwise thats usually neatly on top of the ads and s***.

I have a disaffection towards people who want to launch nukes over interrupted advertising (or less).
Battie
post #19  on June 17, 2005 - 7:19 PM PDT  
> On June 17, 2005 - 4:46 PM PDT Cugat wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Hopefully you meant first 20 minutes of the movie. Otherwise thats usually neatly on top of the ads and s***.
>
> I have a disaffection towards people who want to launch nukes over interrupted advertising (or less).
> ---------------------------------

LOL! Of course, it was the movie. I ignored it during the trailers, figuring they'd shut up once the movie started...which they didn't.
shiori308
post #20  on June 18, 2005 - 1:39 AM PDT  
> On June 17, 2005 - 3:58 PM PDT Battie wrote:

> Well, this is Texas...so we have a limited number of theaters, and not so many "nifty" ones.
>
> AMC 30 (the big one) isn't too bad. It depends on the time of day and movie. I went to see some horror movie around midnight that had just opened and had to content with some idiots in the back yelling at the screen in laughing the first 20 minutes. Damned teenagers (I say this often, and I'm just a few years older >_>).
> ---------------------------------

Yes, but you're physically a few years older. Mentally you are at a level that people like that cannot even comprehend. I HATE when people act like that in movie theaters. If someone wants to behave like that they should have downloaded it and watched it at home with some Orville Redenbacher (pretty sure that is not how it is spelled.) *the drunken shiori is now done venting*

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.