GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Home Releases
General discussion about what's out for the couch.
274

Best Lucifers in Movies?
Topic by: Battie
Posted: June 25, 2005 - 6:18 PM PDT
Last Reply: July 6, 2005 - 9:57 PM PDT

page  1  2      prev | next
author topic: Best Lucifers in Movies?
Battie
post #1  on June 25, 2005 - 6:18 PM PDT  
I was watching End of Days on TV (yes, I know it's not the best movie in the world, lmao) and it brought up a question. Gabriel Byrne as Lucifer is pretty darn good. I also like John Light as Satan in Prophecy IV. ^_^

So who are the best Lucifers you've seen in movies? I know of at least one other I thought was pretty good, but I can't remember. *sniffle*
jross3
post #2  on June 25, 2005 - 7:40 PM PDT  
I enjoyed Al Pacino's performance in Devil's Advocate. He had that quiet, seeping evil that slowly pervaded the whole film. He's one of my favorite actors, especially because of this movie. (it's got a low rating, though... I don't get it)
Eoliano
post #3  on June 25, 2005 - 8:27 PM PDT  
> I was watching End of Days on TV (yes, I know it's not the best movie in the world, lmao) and it brought up a question. Gabriel Byrne as Lucifer is pretty darn good. I also like John Light as Satan in Prophecy IV. ^_^

A good friend of mine played the Pope in End of Days... he would make a mighty fine Lucifer if given the chance.

> So who are the best Lucifers you've seen in movies? I know of at least one other I thought was pretty good, but I can't remember. *sniffle*

Emil Jannings was a damned fine Mephisto in Murnau's Faust, and what about Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson in The Music Goes 'Round? ; - )
Battie
post #4  on June 26, 2005 - 12:45 AM PDT  
...Faust...I don't think I've seen that. Heh, might have to now. :P I've never heard of The Music Goes 'Round.

I watched Devil's Advocate a long time ago, but was bored out of my mind. Was it Keanu or Tom Cruise who was in that? They are so interchangable in my mind. :P

But I finally recalled a good Lucifer. Constantine's Satan played by Peter Stormare. I was somewhat surprised by the performances given by Lucifer and Gabriel (Tilda Swinton). >_> I wasn't expecting much of anything when I saw it, really. But I'm a sucker for a horror/paranormal, and an even bigger sucker for End of the World movies.

Personally...I think they should've cast someone else as Constantine. :(

Christopher Walken will always be the best fallen angel though. :P He's so creepy, and yet...I'm half in love with him, rotfl. I remember some video he was in...I think that thing got play time JUST because it was so shocking to see him dancing around happily. :P
IronS
post #5  on June 26, 2005 - 8:44 AM PDT  
Robert De Niro was pretty creepy in Angel Heart, but that whole film was iffy at times.
Eoliano
post #6  on June 26, 2005 - 10:24 AM PDT  
Why isn't the original Japanese version playing anywhere?
Eoliano
post #7  on June 26, 2005 - 10:27 AM PDT  
That was strange. I was posting that comment in the Howl's thread and it posted here instead...
Eoliano
post #8  on June 26, 2005 - 10:35 AM PDT  
> I watched Devil's Advocate a long time ago, but was bored out of my mind. Was it Keanu or Tom Cruise who was in that? They are so interchangable in my mind. :P

It was Keanu, but you knew that...

> ...Faust...I don't think I've seen that. Heh, might have to now. :P I've never heard of The Music Goes 'Round.

If you have never seen a Murnau film then you owe it to yourself to see his take on Dracula, Nosferatu, and GC carries Faust too.

I was just riffing about The Music Goes 'Round. ;- )

> Robert De Niro was pretty creepy in Angel Heart, but that whole film was iffy at times.

Iffy, but frequently effective.
artifex
post #9  on June 26, 2005 - 11:26 AM PDT  
Does the super Cylon called Lucifer, in the movie Battlestar Galactica, count? You know, the one with the lighted cone head that breaks the bargain with Baltar?
Battie
post #10  on June 26, 2005 - 7:04 PM PDT  
> On June 26, 2005 - 10:35 AM PDT Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > I watched Devil's Advocate a long time ago, but was bored out of my mind. Was it Keanu or Tom Cruise who was in that? They are so interchangable in my mind. :P
>
> It was Keanu, but you knew that...
>

Actually, I wasn't sure. The Firm and Devil's Advocate, for some reason, seem mixed together in my mind. :P

> If you have never seen a Murnau film then you owe it to yourself to see his take on Dracula, Nosferatu, and GC carries Faust too.
>

I've seen part of Nosferatu. ^_^

Eoliano
post #11  on June 26, 2005 - 7:51 PM PDT  
> > It was Keanu, but you knew that...

> Actually, I wasn't sure. The Firm and Devil's Advocate, for some reason, seem mixed together in my mind. :P

Oh perfect, The Godfather meets Lucifer

> > If you have never seen a Murnau film then you owe it to yourself to see his take on Dracula, Nosferatu

> I've seen part of Nosferatu. ^_^

That doesn't count! ^,=,^

Shaky
post #12  on June 26, 2005 - 10:50 PM PDT  
Don't forget Jack Nicholson in Witches of Eastwick.

My favorite has to be Peter Stormare. He just nailed it with the right combination of disgusting and cool.
Battie
post #13  on June 26, 2005 - 11:03 PM PDT  
> On June 26, 2005 - 10:50 PM PDT Shaky wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Don't forget Jack Nicholson in Witches of Eastwick.
>
> My favorite has to be Peter Stormare. He just nailed it with the right combination of disgusting and cool.
> ---------------------------------

Yeah, Jack was good, if it was an odd way to portray the Devil. ^_^

For such a very short role in Constantine, he did a damn good job. There was a part of me that actually liked that Satan (which is one of the few things that creeped me out about the movie). He was oily without being repulsive...like a really good telemarketer that calls you and almost convinces you to buy into whatever they're saying. >_>
Cugat
post #14  on June 27, 2005 - 1:26 AM PDT  
I should hunt down Brimstone (TV series) and watch it again...
Cinenaut
post #15  on June 27, 2005 - 7:54 AM PDT  
I don't know that he was actually portraying Lucifer, but Tim Curry in that depressing 80s fantasy Legend deserves a mention.
Battie
post #16  on June 27, 2005 - 6:33 PM PDT  
> On June 27, 2005 - 7:54 AM PDT Cinenaut wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I don't know that he was actually portraying Lucifer, but Tim Curry in that depressing 80s fantasy Legend deserves a mention.
> ---------------------------------

>;) The sexy Satan. :P
villain
post #17  on June 27, 2005 - 10:30 PM PDT  
i thought billy zane was great in "demon knight".

but my favorite is elizabeth hurley in "bedazzled"
those outfits she wears in that film hurt so good.
Battie
post #18  on June 28, 2005 - 12:12 AM PDT  
> On June 27, 2005 - 10:30 PM PDT villain wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> i thought billy zane was great in "demon knight".
>
> but my favorite is elizabeth hurley in "bedazzled"
> those outfits she wears in that film hurt so good.
> ---------------------------------

Yeah, he was pretty good in context of the film. ^_^

And with the Elizabeth Hurley (the sly Satan) comment, I've finally come to realize...that many of us on the GC forums seem to have slightly umm.....Dirty minds. >:P

Man, the threads lately have brought up some good memories. I believe the second film I saw in theaters was Twister (yes, with Helen Hunt). (This came from a thread I started..) I was awed and loved it (of course, by 1996 or 1997 when it came out, sound systems in theaters were amazing when compared to old TVs).

And your comment brought to mind The Crypt Keeper. I used to love that old puppet. Still do, in fact. I was watching Tales from the Crypt when most kids my age were still checking out Barney. :P

Which brings to mind...The Power Rangers. *shudder* Why in the world is THAT still on cable?

Anyway..back to Satans. Viggo Mortensen as The Prophecy's Satan. ^_^

And how could I forget The Exorcist? Hah!

Hah, I recall SnoopDog as Satan. Rotfl.
vexkitten
post #19  on June 28, 2005 - 12:05 PM PDT  




> And how could I forget The Exorcist? Hah!

Because there was no actual depiction of Satan in The Exorcist.




Battie
post #20  on June 28, 2005 - 3:16 PM PDT  
> On June 28, 2005 - 12:05 PM PDT vexkitten wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > And how could I forget The Exorcist? Hah!
>
> Because there was no actual depiction of Satan in The Exorcist.
> ---------------------------------

But technically...
page  1  2      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.