GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Home Releases
General discussion about what's out for the couch.
274

The Official Guilty Pleasure Thread
Topic by: underdog
Posted: July 11, 2005 - 3:11 PM PDT
Last Reply: August 12, 2005 - 12:24 PM PDT

page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next
author topic: The Official Guilty Pleasure Thread
underdog
post #1  on July 11, 2005 - 3:11 PM PDT  
Sidle up to the confession window and unburden yourself, chilluns. Here's the place to admit to your cinematic guilty pleasures. We all have them, so don't be shy. These would be films that may have been critically drubbed, or at least are not something they'll show in most film classes, and thus, to a cinephile/film geek could be an embarrassment to admit.

F'rinstance, one of my guilty pleasures is just about any John Belushi film, like Animal House and Blues Brothers. Dated, perhaps, offensive, perhaps, sophomoric, maybe, but still incredibly entertaining and quotable. Animal House's only negative in my book is the legacy it spawned, of abhorrent behavior among frat boys who have memorized the film frontwards and back. Separate from that, still a romp.

I won't even go into my one-time propensity for animal movies, sports films or Spongebob Squarepants ... but I will mention Them! which some would consider a classic anyway... and Mars Attacks!, which few would.

underdog
post #2  on July 11, 2005 - 3:39 PM PDT  
Oh yes, and add American Psycho and Valley Girl to the "I Love/Hate the 80s" portion of my list.

And, a supreme (extreme) example of guilty pleasure: Krull.
Battie
post #3  on July 11, 2005 - 4:25 PM PDT  
> On July 11, 2005 - 3:39 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Oh yes, and add American Psycho and Valley Girl to the "I Love/Hate the 80s" portion of my list.
>
> And, a supreme (extreme) example of guilty pleasure: Krull.
> ---------------------------------

Hehe. Krull wasn't THAT bad.

I loved Xena! Still do! *chants for Xena* Umm...Amazons and Barbarians recently made my list. :P There were actually a few talented actors in that movie! Really!

I liked Save the Last Dance (*cough*) and The Breakfast Club (out of curiosity, how common were discussions about teen suicide and child abuse during the time when that came out?).

Uhmmm...I know there are a lot of horrible cheesey and bad movies I love. Just can't think of them. ^_^
rmarkd
post #4  on July 11, 2005 - 4:48 PM PDT  
> On July 11, 2005 - 3:11 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Sidle up to the confession window and unburden yourself, chilluns. Here's the place to admit to your cinematic guilty pleasures. We all have them, so don't be shy. These would be films that may have been critically drubbed, or at least are not something they'll show in most film classes, and thus, to a cinephile/film geek could be an embarrassment to admit.


I'm sure more will come to mind, but the two that stick out
are...
The Adventures of Ford Fairlane: Maybe it's because I know nothing about filmmaking, but I don't see why this movie is so hated. Sure, it's toilet humor and dumb humor, but it's toilet/dumb humor done well. I think alot of the hatred is Andrew Dice Clay hatred misdirected at the movie.

Howard The Duck: Okay, this is a dumb movie, and I guess we have this movie to thank for the TV series "Alf" (which I also liked), but hey, it had some dude in a duck outfit. Like the 80's WWF pro wrestling, dumb fun, but fun.

Battie
post #5  on July 11, 2005 - 5:04 PM PDT  
> On July 11, 2005 - 4:48 PM PDT rmarkd wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Howard The Duck: Okay, this is a dumb movie, and I guess we have this movie to thank for the TV series "Alf" (which I also liked), but hey, it had some dude in a duck outfit. Like the 80's WWF pro wrestling, dumb fun, but fun.
> ---------------------------------

I'll second that one!
underdog
post #6  on July 11, 2005 - 8:40 PM PDT  
> On July 11, 2005 - 4:25 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On July 11, 2005 - 3:39 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > Oh yes, and add American Psycho and Valley Girl to the "I Love/Hate the 80s" portion of my list.
> >
> > And, a supreme (extreme) example of guilty pleasure: Krull.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> Hehe. Krull wasn't THAT bad.
>

No, actually it's kind of underrated, I think. Although parts of it DO like rather cheesy these days, but it's entertaining, a good sci-fi/fantasy hybrid.

> I liked Save the Last Dance (*cough*) and The Breakfast Club (out of curiosity, how common were discussions about teen suicide and child abuse during the time when that came out?).

Breakfast Club, ahh... I was in the 8th grade when that came out and it kind of made me nervous about high school. Is everyone such a freak? "Oh, we're *all* freaks, that's what it's saying. Whew!" Made me feel better when I considered the moral. ;-) And mostly, it's just entertaining, quintessential 80s arcana. I had a crush on Ally Sheedy as a youngster, until she shook out all that dandruff on her desk in the BC.

IronS
post #7  on July 11, 2005 - 9:31 PM PDT  
> On July 11, 2005 - 8:40 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Breakfast Club, ahh... I was in the 8th grade when that came out and it kind of made me nervous about high school. Is everyone such a freak? "Oh, we're *all* freaks, that's what it's saying. Whew!" Made me feel better when I considered the moral. ;-) And mostly, it's just entertaining, quintessential 80s arcana. I had a crush on Ally Sheedy as a youngster, until she shook out all that dandruff on her desk in the BC.
>

It bummed me out that the brain was the only one who was unattached at the end. I mean, even the deliquent ended up with somebody. It's nerd-discrimination, I tell ya!

I do remember "Real Genius" with some fondness. It made me wonder if college was really going to be that hard.
ahogue
post #8  on July 11, 2005 - 11:47 PM PDT  
This has got me thinking, because I really can't think of a movie I feel guilty for liking because it's widely considered bad. It's not that I don't like such movies, it's just that it seems to me all the ones I like have at least some redeeming value. I really believe that movies are undervalued or unfairly trounced by the public pretty frequently. Just about as often as bad movies are glorified; makes sense, I guess. But it's interesting to wonder why.

I do have a hard time admitting to liking movies that are outrageously popular. I know it's stupid, but I've come to associate great popularity with badness, and I know a lot of others do. You can spot them because they act scandalized when you tell them you loved The Matrix, which I did.

Some movies are horribly flawed but have elements that are so good you can't bring yourself to write them off. I also thought the Matrix sequels, though they did have embarrassing flaws, had plenty of redeeming qualities as well.

Then there are movies which induce a backlash through their own hype, like the now reviled Blair Witch Project. People quite reasonably took a disliking to it because of the dishonest marketing, a dislike made even worse if one was unfortunate enough to be taken in by it when in hindsight it's so completely obvious it's fake. I wasn't one of those people, but I had not really been exposed to any of the hype. I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty creative. Would I feel the same if I had been exposed to the hype? I probably would never have seen it at all.
ahogue
post #9  on July 11, 2005 - 11:54 PM PDT  
Oh, a good example of a movie I love widely considered to be horrible: Glen or Glenda?. I don't care what anyone says, it's so brilliantly surreal I just love it.

I hate every other Ed Wood movie I've seen. Plan 9 is really just as terrible as people say it is. And I have no special interest gender issues in general. I have no excuse for liking it other than I had a wonderful time watching it.
Battie
post #10  on July 12, 2005 - 7:50 AM PDT  
> On July 11, 2005 - 11:54 PM PDT ahogue wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Oh, a good example of a movie I love widely considered to be horrible: Glen or Glenda?. I don't care what anyone says, it's so brilliantly surreal I just love it.
>
> I hate every other Ed Wood movie I've seen. Plan 9 is really just as terrible as people say it is. And I have no special interest gender issues in general. I have no excuse for liking it other than I had a wonderful time watching it.
> ---------------------------------

This reminds me of a huge guilty pleasure...Seed of Chucky! I thought that movie was great and brilliantly funny. But a lot of people seem to hate it!
Yowanda
post #11  on July 12, 2005 - 9:09 AM PDT  
Barbarella - Its so cheesy, I feel like I shouldn't like it.
underdog
post #12  on July 12, 2005 - 10:07 AM PDT  
> On July 12, 2005 - 9:09 AM PDT Yowanda wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Barbarella - Its so cheesy, I feel like I shouldn't like it.
> ---------------------------------


My cousin, who was just visiting from LA, and I went to Amoeba Records the other day and got sucked into the used video store. She confessed that one of her favorite movies of all time is Barbarella and ended up buying the disc there (along with the original Willy Wonka). Me? I found the new special edition 2 disc set of JAWS(!) used(!) so I got that. But Jaws ain't a guilty pleasure, really. Barbarella sure is. Love it. That and Zardoz.

Eoliano
post #13  on July 12, 2005 - 11:16 AM PDT  
How about a double bill of Barbarella and Modesty Blaise?

Pass the Limburger...
Eoliano
post #14  on July 12, 2005 - 11:19 AM PDT  
Oh, and I absolutely love Zardoz!
woozy
post #15  on July 12, 2005 - 11:34 AM PDT  
> On July 12, 2005 - 11:19 AM PDT Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Oh, and I absolutely love Zardoz!
> ---------------------------------

But Zardoz is critically acclaimed. (By those who have seen it). And ahogue, do you really think Glen or Glenda was a good, well-done, intentional and effectively good film? (You are allowed to but ...)

Hmmm, if I *liked* Species and the League of Extraordinary Gentleman those would be my guilty pleasure but instead I only thought they were better than average (kinda bad) summer-fare... Hmm, I used to like the Beatle's Help. I mean seriously like it as a good film.
Eoliano
post #16  on July 12, 2005 - 12:40 PM PDT  
> On July 12, 2005 - 10:07 AM PDT underdog wrote:

> But Jaws ain't a guilty pleasure, really. Barbarella sure is. Love it. That and Zardoz.

> > I absolutely love Zardoz!

> But Zardoz is critically acclaimed.

Harrumph! Critically assailed, more like... anyhow, it's a moot point, since in my book, Zardoz is a guilty pleasure, and besides, I was simply agreeing with underdog.
ahogue
post #17  on July 12, 2005 - 1:40 PM PDT  
> On July 12, 2005 - 10:07 AM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>Love it. That and Zardoz.
> ---------------------------------

Zardoz is a borderline case. On the one hand it really is a very, very good movie. On the other hand you get to watch Sean Connery in a ponytale run around with ammo belts draped about his impressive chest hair for two hours. And there is a good amount of that now stale 70's cheese in it. Still, a very good movie!
ahogue
post #18  on July 12, 2005 - 1:44 PM PDT  
> On July 12, 2005 - 11:34 AM PDT woozy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
And ahogue, do you really think Glen or Glenda was a good, well-done, intentional and effectively good film? (You are allowed to but ...)
> ---------------------------------

Ah, well I don't think the artist's intentions really matter in evaluating movies or art in general, so maybe there's the rub.
woozy
post #19  on July 12, 2005 - 1:49 PM PDT  
> Harrumph! Critically assailed, more like... anyhow, it's a moot point, since in my book, Zardoz is a guilty pleasure, and besides, I was simply agreeing with underdog.
> ---------------------------------

Hmm, guess the folks who like it are folks who talk about it being one of the best films you never heard of twenty years later.

Buffy the Vampire series would be a bit of a guilty pleasure except I don't feel any guilt about it.

But along that line, "A Room with a View" is a guilty pleasure for me because I dislike romances usually. "The ruling class" is a favorite I keep going back to.

woozy
post #20  on July 12, 2005 - 1:53 PM PDT  
> On July 12, 2005 - 1:44 PM PDT ahogue wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On July 12, 2005 - 11:34 AM PDT woozy wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> And ahogue, do you really think Glen or Glenda was a good, well-done, intentional and effectively good film? (You are allowed to but ...)
> > ---------------------------------
>
> Ah, well I don't think the artist's intentions really matter in evaluating movies or art in general, so maybe there's the rub.
> ---------------------------------


Okay, Eoliano's post changed my mind about what the definition of "guilty pleasure" is. If the definition was "A film you know is bad but you like it anyway" I'd have questioned Glen or Glenda and Zardoz as they are "camp classics" (except Zardoz is a bit better than that) but if it's "a movie that's a light indulgance with the shades drawn and a box of bonbons" then Glen or Glenda or Buffy or Zardoz or, in my (and probably mine alone) case, Room with a View and the Ruling Class, are perfect.
page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.