GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Home Releases
General discussion about what's out for the couch.
274

Best or Favorite or Recommended DVDs/Films
Topic by: lizzoqops
Posted: December 21, 2005 - 1:51 PM PST
Last Reply: January 18, 2006 - 4:33 PM PST

author topic: Best or Favorite or Recommended DVDs/Films
lizzoqops
post #1  on December 21, 2005 - 1:51 PM PST  
I was just looking at the list of stuff I've seen this year to add to the "Best of" list in In The Theaters, and saw some great movies that I saw for the first time this year on dvd that weren't necessarily released theatrically this year. Feel free to add your own list. I kept this topic as loose as possible : ) So if you watch stuff other than theater or dvd, feel free to add those.

Greencine Stuff I saw for the first time:
Devils on the Doorstep
Under the Flag of the Rising Sun
Ran
Crazed Fruit

"Other" Stuff

Marathon
Crying Fist
President's Last Bang
Rules of Dating
Sopyonje
Vital
Human Condition Trilogy
The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things
Kontroll
Survive Style 5+

I'm sure you guys will remind me of stuff I've forgotten.
Eoliano
post #2  on December 21, 2005 - 2:40 PM PST  
How about...

The Best DVDs of 2005:

Ben-Hur (WB)
Black Narcissus (Network/R2)
L'eclisse (Criterion)
King Kong (MGM)
The Man Who Fell to Earth (Criterion)
Pickpocket (Criterion)
Raging Bull (MGM)
Ran (Criterion)
Ugetsu (Criterion) - also best packaging
Vengeance is Mine (MoC/UK)

Honorable Mention:

Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection (Universal)
Heat (WB)
Kagemusha (Criterion)
My Own Private Idaho (Criterion)
Le Samourai (Criterion)
The Yakuza Papers (HVE)
lizzoqops
post #3  on December 22, 2005 - 10:43 AM PST  
> On December 21, 2005 - 2:40 PM PST Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> How about...
>
> The Best DVDs of 2005:

Well, that's sort of what I meant. Except I wanted it to be ones that people have actually seen themselves and enjoyed, not necessarily ones that the experts say are the best.

The inability to edit anything you say or do here still ranks as the No. 1 annoyance of the forum.


>
> Ben-Hur (WB)
> Black Narcissus (Network/R2)
> L'eclisse (Criterion)
> King Kong (MGM)
> The Man Who Fell to Earth (Criterion)
> Pickpocket (Criterion)
> Raging Bull (MGM)
> Ran (Criterion)
> Ugetsu (Criterion) - also best packaging
> Vengeance is Mine (MoC/UK)
>
> Honorable Mention:
>
> Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection (Universal)
> Heat (WB)
> Kagemusha (Criterion)
> My Own Private Idaho (Criterion)
> Le Samourai (Criterion)
> The Yakuza Papers (HVE)
>
> ---------------------------------

Yah, I forgot the Yakuza Papers! Although I still haven't seen 4 and 5.

So, E, you've seen the "Vengeance is Mine"?

Eoliano
post #4  on December 22, 2005 - 11:31 AM PST  
> > The Best DVDs of 2005

> Well, that's sort of what I meant.

Then I said it for you.

> Except I wanted it to be ones that people have actually seen themselves and enjoyed, not necessarily ones that the experts say are the best.

The above is stictly my ranking, lizzo, and most of them are in my collection (gulp!).

> The inability to edit anything you say or do here still ranks as the No. 1 annoyance of the forum.

Agreed! No. 2. is the inability to format.

> So, E, you've seen the "Vengeance is Mine"?

Yup! MoC's Vengeance is Mine is awesome. Now I want to see their Kurosawa and Teshigahara discs!

****

Say, while we're at it, why don't we poll a Member of the Year award as well as a Richard Cranium Award?
lizzoqops
post #5  on December 22, 2005 - 3:03 PM PST  
> On December 22, 2005 - 11:31 AM PST Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > > The Best DVDs of 2005
>
> > Well, that's sort of what I meant.
>
> Then I said it for you.
>

Yes, sort of : )


> > Except I wanted it to be ones that people have actually seen themselves and enjoyed, not necessarily ones that the experts say are the best.
>
> The above is stictly my ranking, lizzo, and most of them are in my collection (gulp!).
>

Then some of them should be reviewed in the "Chinjakomo" thread. I'm just sayin'....

> > The inability to edit anything you say or do here still ranks as the No. 1 annoyance of the forum.
>
> Agreed! No. 2. is the inability to format.
>

> ****
>
> Say, while we're at it, why don't we poll a Member of the Year award as well as a Richard Cranium Award?
> ---------------------------------

Yes, if only we could invent some way to have a poll on a forum...and insert urls so that people wouldn't have to learn html to post here...does repeatedly stating this stuff qualify me for the Richard Cranium Award?

Eoliano
post #6  on December 22, 2005 - 5:50 PM PST  
> > > > The Best DVDs of 2005

> > > Well, that's sort of what I meant.

> Then I said it for you.

> Yes, sort of : )

Edit: Then I sort of said it for you!

> > > Except I wanted it to be ones that people have actually seen themselves and enjoyed, not necessarily ones that the experts say are the best.

> > The above is stictly my ranking, lizzo, and most of them are in my collection (gulp!).

> Then some of them should be reviewed in the "Chinjakomo" thread. I'm just sayin'....

Hmm, well, I shoulda/coulda... I confess to being lazy.

> Yes, if only we could invent some way to have a poll on a forum...and insert urls so that people wouldn't have to learn html to post here...does repeatedly stating this stuff qualify me for the Richard Cranium Award?

Not even close, lizzo! The Richard Cranium Award belongs to someone else for sure.
Eoliano
post #7  on December 23, 2005 - 1:04 PM PST  
Masters of Cinema DVD of the Year Results

Voted for by MoC readers

1st place
Ugetsu
(Criterion, USA) with 31% of all votes

2nd place
L'eclisse
(Criterion, USA) with 12% of all votes

3rd place
Au hasard Balthazar
(Criterion, USA) with 9% of all votes

4th place
Unseen Cinema: Early American Avant-Garde Film 1894-1941
(Image, USA) with 6% of all votes

5th place
Pickpocket
(Criterion, USA) with 5.6% of all votes

6th place
Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection
(New Line, USA) with 4.6% of all votes

7th place
Val Lewton Horror Collection
(Warners, USA) with 4.1% of all votes

8th place
Love
(Second Run, UK) with 3.8% of all votes

9th place
Van Gogh
(Artificial Eye, UK) with 3.2% of all votes

10th place
Boudu Saved From Drowning
(Criterion, USA) with 3% of all votes
Eoliano
post #8  on December 23, 2005 - 1:14 PM PST  
Oops!

11th place
Portrait of Jason
(Second Run, UK) with 2.7% of all votes

12th place
Tales of Hoffmann
(Criterion, USA) with 2.2% of all votes

MoC Series DVDs were excluded from this vote. Obvious organized voting rings were excluded too.
jbernath
post #9  on December 28, 2005 - 10:55 AM PST  
My top 10 list is always movies I saw for the 1st time that year regardless of when they were released. So far my 10 for 2005:

Casque d'Or
Twilight Samurai
Devil's Backbone
Eroica
Amandla!
Flowers of St Francis
White Nights
Bad Boy Bubby
Martha
Contraband
ChefCFP
post #10  on January 14, 2006 - 6:17 PM PST  
My favorite of 2005 was....

A Very Long Engagement
rmarkd
post #11  on January 18, 2006 - 4:33 PM PST  
Well, I didn't see too many movies in 2005 (DVD or otherwise), but the one GC rental that sticks out is Primer

Perhaps a flawed sci-fi movie, but in my mind a refreshing one that is refreshingly different from the usual scifi flick that comes out in theaters.

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.