GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Home Releases
General discussion about what's out for the couch.
274

What would have less of a chance of being made than Paris Hilton winning a 6th grade spelling bee?
Topic by: Ursus
Posted: May 2, 2006 - 9:08 AM PDT
Last Reply: May 5, 2006 - 12:33 PM PDT

author topic: What would have less of a chance of being made than Paris Hilton winning a 6th grade spelling bee?
Ursus
post #1  on May 2, 2006 - 9:08 AM PDT  
What is "Blazing Saddles???"

I was watching "Blazing Saddles" last night on DVD and a thought struck my brain: there is NO WAY that they could make "Blazing Saddles" today. It would never be made, not because it isn't hilarious or genius, but due to the actual content of the movie (i.e. race or what-have-you).

So, I got to thinking: Here are three movies (of genius) that could not, or would not, be made today, as they were.

1) Blazing Saddles -1974

2) History of the World: Part 1 -1981

3) Airplane -1980

What other great movies of the past could not be made today?
hamano
post #2  on May 2, 2006 - 9:27 AM PDT  
Birth of a Nation

Triumph of the Will

Cabin Boy
hamano
post #3  on May 2, 2006 - 9:45 AM PDT  
> On May 2, 2006 - 9:08 AM PDT Ursus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> What is "Blazing Saddles???"

That's on one of my lists, actually.

BTW, if you're going to start a nice thread like this, you should decorate it with some cute extras.
NLee
post #4  on May 2, 2006 - 11:20 AM PDT  
Here's one:
Kentucky Fried Movie (1977)

Oh remember in "History of the World" Part 1" where Moses dropped five of the Fifteen Commandments? I was watching a program about "The Ten Commandments" on History Channel a few days ago. According to that program, there were some 400 Commendments originally. Good thing we only see the "Readers' Digest" version today.
woozy
post #5  on May 2, 2006 - 1:38 PM PDT  
Um, why wouldn't Cabin Boy or Airplane be made today?

Classics that wouldn't be made now.... Hmmm... "Brother from another Planet"? (no sympathetic, or at least good but powerless or flawed, white characters; an essential in all films about race these-a-days to keep the white audience from feeling uncomfortable)

If "All that Jazz" were made today there'd be a lot more hints of the Fosse-esque character's heart of gold or persistance of artistic vision. Also his death would either be of a trendy desease and slightly more heroic. Folks don't just wear out and die in movies these days (and if the do they have some revelation of regret of how they should have taken better care of themselves; folks don't just die any more.)
Cinenaut
post #6  on May 2, 2006 - 3:51 PM PDT  
Heck, even something like Clash of the Titans couldn't be made today unless they left out the nudity.


Oh, and Harold and Maude probably couldn't be made today.
NLee
post #7  on May 3, 2006 - 10:44 AM PDT  
Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy and George W Bush entered a 6th grade Spelling Bee contest together. Guess who won?

Bush. He's the only one who knows that "HARASS" is one word.

------------------
Just in case you didn't get it: The other two spelled it "HER ASS".
------------------
hamano
post #8  on May 3, 2006 - 11:02 AM PDT  
Oh, I didn't get it... I guess I'm not Republican enough...
woozy
post #9  on May 3, 2006 - 1:07 PM PDT  
> On May 3, 2006 - 11:02 AM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Oh, I didn't get it... I guess I'm not Republican enough...
> ---------------------------------

I got it. And I heard it before.

Now if NLee doesn't mind a little critique (and I sincerely do not mean any slight or insult):

I'd suggest that having it between only two canidates. Three implies each is unique and it was slightly anti-climatic to see the the joke on Clinton and Kennedy is exactly the same. Anyway nobody remembers or cares about Kennedy's lechery. His nephew's tendency toward date rape is more disturbing and Ed just seems like an annoying senile uncle these days. (And as for Chapaquidic, that's just water under the bridge.)

Second, putting in Bush and not having a joke about him is also anti-climatic. (And to this bush-basher irritatingly frustrating.) The way I heard the joke was: "Clinton (are Clarence Thomas before him) entered a spelling bee but failed because he didn't know HARASS was one word". See, one butt for one pinch, er, I mean punch. I suppose we could put in two butts for two punches. "Clinton and Bush were in a spelling bee. When the word HARASS was given, Bush may have misspelled it as K-A-H-T-U-R-I-N (and then sighed contentedly and ruled his eyes to the cieling) but at least he knew it was one word."

NLee
post #10  on May 3, 2006 - 2:50 PM PDT  
Wow! This must be my first simultaneous sighting of hamano and woozy in the last 12 months. You two play nice now. You hear?

And yes, I recycled that old Dan Quayle joke.
kohnfused1
post #11  on May 3, 2006 - 3:57 PM PDT  
> On May 3, 2006 - 2:50 PM PDT NLee wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Wow! This must be my first simultaneous sighting of hamano and woozy in the last 12 months. You two play nice now. You hear?
>
> And yes, I recycled that old Dan Quayle joke.
>
> ---------------------------------

Will miracles never cease>?

....i'm talking about the recycled DQ joke.

;-p
Ursus
post #12  on May 3, 2006 - 4:42 PM PDT  
> Will miracles never cease>?
>
> ....i'm talking about the recycled DQ joke.


DQ, ehh? That gives me a hankerin' for soft-serve ice cream or perhaps a chocolate dip cone.
woozy
post #13  on May 3, 2006 - 5:07 PM PDT  
> On May 3, 2006 - 2:50 PM PDT NLee wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Wow! This must be my first simultaneous sighting of hamano and woozy in the last 12 months. You two play nice now. You hear?
>
Um, we've simultaneous appeared on other threads at times.

We seem to have taken to pretty much ignoring the existence of each other. There isn't any reason both of us wouldn't take simultaneous and independant interest in an NLee joke, is there?

Anyhow, he's been pretty active in the anime threads as I haven't seen Spiral or the other series under discussing and because I want to play nice I've been pretty much leaving those alone.
woozy
post #14  on May 3, 2006 - 5:13 PM PDT  
> And yes, I recycled that old Dan Quayle joke.
>
> ---------------------------------

I've heard it told about Clinton, Thomas, Quayle, and Ken Starr and the majority of congress. But Quayle never really had any serious accusations of harassment, did he? He was a dummy and as he was in the Bush admin he was brushed with general tint of evil, creepy, republicanness. I guess we'd like to assume all evil, creepy, republicans like to harass women but other than that...

NLee
post #15  on May 3, 2006 - 5:26 PM PDT  
> On May 3, 2006 - 5:13 PM PDT woozy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
I guess we'd like to assume all evil, creepy, republicans like to harass women but other than that...
> ---------------------------------

Dan Quayle is famous for mis-spelling "Potatoe"...

and you just mis-spelled "democrat".
Ursus
post #16  on May 4, 2006 - 9:07 AM PDT  
The Original Star Wars- 1977

Here is why:

There is no chance in hell that such a large sci-fi work like Star Wars would be able to get studio backing WITHOUT putting already established Actors or Actresses to bring in the crowds of people on name recognition alone.

No chance for Carrie Fisher, Mark Hammil, or the rogue-ish genius of a young Harrison Ford as Han Solo. Han Solo is only THE baddest Mo-Fo in the Star Wars galaxy... or any galaxy for that matter. I mean, the man out-played, out-gunned, out-"bad-assed," and out-pretty much everything elsed every other character in that movie--with the exception of Darth Vader. Dump Luke out of the air-lock and train Han as a jedi? Fuh-ged-aboud-it! The empire wouldn't even have a chance to "Strike Back," cuz school would be in session and Han Solo would teaching lessons to the entire empire, single-handed! I digress.

There is no way that 3 relatively unknowns would get the green-light from the studio.
Battie
post #17  on May 4, 2006 - 11:12 AM PDT  
> On May 4, 2006 - 9:07 AM PDT Ursus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> The Original Star Wars- 1977
>
> Here is why:
>
> There is no chance in hell that such a large sci-fi work like Star Wars would be able to get studio backing WITHOUT putting already established Actors or Actresses to bring in the crowds of people on name recognition alone.
>
> No chance for Carrie Fisher, Mark Hammil, or the rogue-ish genius of a young Harrison Ford as Han Solo. Han Solo is only THE baddest Mo-Fo in the Star Wars galaxy... or any galaxy for that matter. I mean, the man out-played, out-gunned, out-"bad-assed," and out-pretty much everything elsed every other character in that movie--with the exception of Darth Vader. Dump Luke out of the air-lock and train Han as a jedi? Fuh-ged-aboud-it! The empire wouldn't even have a chance to "Strike Back," cuz school would be in session and Han Solo would teaching lessons to the entire empire, single-handed! I digress.
>
> There is no way that 3 relatively unknowns would get the green-light from the studio.
> ---------------------------------

The original and very whacky Evil Dead. :P It very nearly didn't get made at all.

Fiddler on the Roof. Actually, most musicals for that matter. They just don't have a place in today's cinema. Yet, IMO, Fiddler on the Roof still stands as a movie I enjoy...and I'm not a muscical lover.
Battie
post #18  on May 4, 2006 - 11:27 AM PDT  
> On May 4, 2006 - 11:12 AM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Fiddler on the Roof. Actually, most musicals for that matter. They just don't have a place in today's cinema. Yet, IMO, Fiddler on the Roof still stands as a movie I enjoy...and I'm not a muscical lover.
> ---------------------------------

Forgot to add...also because most actors and actresses seem to be chosen for looks instead of talent. There's a reason why I didn't see Rent, and won't be.
Ursus
post #19  on May 5, 2006 - 12:33 PM PDT  
Too True... There are many an actor that I dig, who have incredible acting chops, but they don't conform to this weeks ridiculous new fad/trend. For example, two incredible fat-bastards whom I think have and have yet to get the recognition they deserve:

Oliver Platt (Huff, and The Ice Harvest)
Maury Chaykin (Nero Wolf)

--------------------------------------------------------
The ORIGINAL Pink Panther-1963(?)

There is no way to duplicate the original brilliance of Peter Sellers as lead nor (the most brilliant of moments) Kato's many impromptu karate battles peppered with racial slurs.

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.