GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Home Releases
General discussion about what's out for the couch.
274

The SemiOfficial Help! Looking for the Name of a Movie thread
Topic by: underdog
Posted: September 25, 2007 - 4:17 PM PDT
Last Reply: November 12, 2010 - 2:28 PM PST

page  1  2  3  4      prev | next
author topic: The SemiOfficial Help! Looking for the Name of a Movie thread
underdog
post #1  on September 25, 2007 - 4:17 PM PDT  
If you're stuck, tortured trying to remember the name of a film and need help from your friends in GreenCineLand, post it here. Give us as many clues/hints as you can.

This is just one example of a recent posting along these lines...
doozer
post #2  on October 19, 2007 - 3:56 PM PDT  
Hello dear members,


One of your fellow GreenCiners needs your help! I received this e-mail, and am unable to help this member with my own knowledge (though I loathe to admit it). Does this sound familiar to anybody out there?


Description as follows:


I am trying to find the title of a B movie I saw as a child probably in the 1950's. The story is much like Shangrala--a group of explorers go to an icy realm. I seem to remember an older professor character. There were a group of women dressed in long white gowns, gathered in a circle, an "Ice Queen"
in the center or on a platform above the circle. They are her handmaidens.
She does not want the explorers to return to the outside world.
underdog
post #3  on October 20, 2007 - 4:16 PM PDT  
This sounds really familiar and yet I'm completely stumped. Anyone else have an inkling?

It almost sounded like a Mystery Science Theater movie I saw once but don't think that's it...

doozer
post #4  on October 26, 2007 - 11:09 AM PDT  
Ok well here be another, as quoted from the member in need:




I remember as a kid attending Saturday matinees seeing this movie. The time period in the movie was England with knights using swords. The last battle scene was inside a castle with midgets taking on regular sized people, swinging from ropes, etc. It was trippy. Can you remember the title of that movie?

Also, when I attended Officer Candidate School in VA I saw a movie on either May 10 or 17, 1970 in Washington, D.C., called "The Laughing Woman." It's probably in the movie ads for theaters there in the Washington Post. It was a powerful movie about relationships between men and women. Have you ever seen this movie available for sale on either VHS or DVD? I don't think it was a foreign film but it was definitely not mainstream. One of the last scenes in the movie showed the nude torso of the woman while having simulated sex in the corner of a swimming pool.
DLeonard
post #5  on October 26, 2007 - 12:05 PM PDT  
> On October 26, 2007 - 11:09 AM PDT doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Ok well here be another, as quoted from the member in need:
>
> I remember as a kid attending Saturday matinees seeing this movie. The time period in the movie was England with knights using swords. The last battle scene was inside a castle with midgets taking on regular sized people, swinging from ropes, etc. It was trippy. Can you remember the title of that movie?
>
> ---------------------------------


Would this be Time Bandits by any chance? That's one of the few films I can recall that combine midgets, knights, England and fighting.
hamano
post #6  on October 26, 2007 - 1:28 PM PDT  
> On October 26, 2007 - 12:05 PM PDT DLeonard wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On October 26, 2007 - 11:09 AM PDT doozer wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > Ok well here be another, as quoted from the member in need:
> >
> > I remember as a kid attending Saturday matinees seeing this movie. The time period in the movie was England with knights using swords. The last battle scene was inside a castle with midgets taking on regular sized people, swinging from ropes, etc. It was trippy. Can you remember the title of that movie?
> >

I don't know if someone who was going to officer candidate school in 1970 would have seen Time Bandits as a kid at a matinee... Same with Jabberwocky.
Catullus
post #7  on October 26, 2007 - 1:33 PM PDT  
ya thats got to be time bandits, great movie imo
hamano
post #8  on October 26, 2007 - 1:36 PM PDT  
> On October 26, 2007 - 11:09 AM PDT doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Also, when I attended Officer Candidate School in VA I saw a movie on either May 10 or 17, 1970 in Washington, D.C., called "The Laughing Woman." It's probably in the movie ads for theaters there in the Washington Post. It was a powerful movie about relationships between men and women. Have you ever seen this movie available for sale on either VHS or DVD?

In FACT, this film is available for rental from GreenCine.

Here is the IMDB entry with the international and USA titles as well as the original title. If you click on the "Shop for..." link at the upper right corner you can buy it from Amazon.
underdog
post #9  on October 26, 2007 - 1:53 PM PDT  
Laughing, Frightened, what's the difference? Good catch, Hamano!

As for the other one, yeah Time Bandits I don't think works given the time frame, sounds like he's looking for an earlier film. Also I don't recall there being a big climatic fight as described, but maybe I'm "misremembering" things... Although it does sound like a combination of several Monty Python movie bits. Huh. Can you get confirmation of time period, Doozer?
doozer
post #10  on October 26, 2007 - 2:00 PM PDT  
> On October 26, 2007 - 1:53 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
Can you get confirmation of time period, Doozer?
> ---------------------------------


I can certainly try, my first thought was time bandits too but I immediately pushed it aside because of the time period factor. Stupid me. I'll see what else I can find out!


and yea, thanks Hamano! I sheepishly admit that I did not look for the second movie on GreenCine because I assumed this member did, and did not find it, and that's WHY he was writing me.
DLeonard
post #11  on October 26, 2007 - 6:31 PM PDT  
Oh, so it's the same person asking about two movies.

Then no, it wouldn't be Time Bandits.

The only film prior to 1970 that has a combined keyword of "sword" and "dwarf" in IMDB.com is something called "Carnival in Flanders" from 1935. Hrd to tell if it would be the right film.
Catullus
post #12  on October 26, 2007 - 9:23 PM PDT  
its not time bandits? aww who cares, all i know is imma have to go watch time bandits nao
hamano
post #13  on October 27, 2007 - 5:55 AM PDT  
Oh, wait. He's talking about a question sent in by someone else. Then it IS Time Bandits I suppose.
hamano
post #14  on October 27, 2007 - 5:59 AM PDT  
So the two film questions were from the same person?

Maybe he was going to Officer Candidate Kindergarten?
akagaare
post #15  on November 3, 2007 - 10:27 PM PDT  
I have a really tough one because I have very bad memory. I saw this film at an one of the major art galleries in Washington DC, between September 2005 and February 2006. I'm pretty sure it was part of larger film festival. It may have been from Argentina. It was about a man in this small town, he stays at the church with the priest, he meets a woman and they go to the beach to see the ruins of her old house that had been washed away in some sort of tidal wave. At the end the man's ex-wife? and son show up on a raft - oh yes, I just remember he had been exiled top the small town for standing up for a capitalist friend or something like that. Oh and there is a man who wears this old dive suit.
underdog
post #16  on November 5, 2007 - 6:59 AM PST  
Wow, that's a toughie. Can you remember what era it was set in? (Modern?) And was it made around when you saw it, or older than that? It sounds vaguely familiar but can't place it...
doozer
post #17  on November 8, 2007 - 4:25 PM PST  
It's that time again Cinephiles! One of your own is having trouble recalling a movie. Scramble movie watchers, to come to his aid. The winner receives my undying gratitude.


As quoted by the member in peril:

I'm trying to determine the name of a film that I remember as a teen (a very long time ago).

The basic story was a British expediation found this 'giant' reptile on a remote island.
After a struggle, the brits won, captured it, and sailed to London to put the thing on display (live). As they sailed, a water stream was used to keep the animal wet and cool.
In London, the animal is on display, when a GIANT reptile arrives. This is the parent of the small one on display. Now London is torn apart, even Big Ben. In the last stop, the two are shown entering the water to return home.

This movie was seen in the late 1960, in a theater type presentation.

What is the name? I though it was a Godzilla movie but nothing looks right and most are on the wrong side of the earth.
akagaare
post #18  on November 8, 2007 - 4:34 PM PST  
> On November 5, 2007 - 6:59 AM PST underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Wow, that's a toughie. Can you remember what era it was set in? (Modern?) And was it made around when you saw it, or older than that? It sounds vaguely familiar but can't place it...
> ---------------------------------

I believe you're responding to me - it's hard to keep track in some of these posts. I believe the film was made in the early 90's. It seemed fairly modern. At the end I think the guy in the ancient dive suit pulls a plug on the ocean and it spins and spews out and there is another tidal wave. The main woman lives with her father who seems to be kind of crazy. I really remember it because it was shot so beautifully.

By the way, it's hard to remember to check on posts I've written in or to check if others have responded. GreenCine totally needs to have forums that email you when people reply to a post you're on, with the ability to watch topics - unless this feature is possible and I've missed something. It would really be helpful for me because I don't remember to check back often.
weezy
post #19  on November 8, 2007 - 4:38 PM PST  

> By the way, it's hard to remember to check on posts I've written in or to check if others have responded. GreenCine totally needs to have forums that email you when people reply to a post you're on, with the ability to watch topics - unless this feature is possible and I've missed something. It would really be helpful for me because I don't remember to check back often.
>
We agree! We're switching to new discussion boards with these capabilities in the near future.
akagaare
post #20  on November 8, 2007 - 4:44 PM PST  
> On November 8, 2007 - 4:38 PM PST weezy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>

> We agree! We're switching to new discussion boards with these capabilities in the near future.
>
> ---------------------------------

Ooh yay. That will probably make people much more active on the boards. It certainly will for me.

page  1  2  3  4      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.