GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Star Power
Discuss the people who make what we watch.
59

WinonaWatch
Topic by: dwhudson
Posted: July 16, 2002 - 9:44 AM PDT
Last Reply: January 25, 2003 - 8:02 AM PST

page  1  2      prev | next
author topic: WinonaWatch
dwhudson
post #1  on July 16, 2002 - 9:44 AM PDT  
Sadly, the time has come for a GreenCine WinonaWatch.

As the BBC is reporting today, Winona Ryder's lawyer's efforts to get a judge to disqualify the LA County district attorney from prosecuting her have come to nought. The next hearing is set for August 13, and it sure looks like a trial's going to be scheduled after all.

A quick run-down for those of you too busy to keep up with Winona's saga because you're catching up with terror alerts, watching the markets nosedive or snickering at the president's efforts to keep a straight face as he denounces corporate sleeze: Mid-December, Winona was caught in, or actually, just walking out of a Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills with a couple of thousand dollars worth of merchandise stuffed in her shopping bags she hadn't paid for, along with Oxycodone, a morphine derivative for which you need a prescription; which Ms. Ryder did not have. She's now facing four felony charges which could get her locked up for nearly four years.

For more nitty gritty, see this piece at Alternet, and for sheer fun, see Leslie Harpold's Power Point entry in the Click to Add Title competition, "Winona Needs Us".

But to truly justify the WinonaWatch, though, we need to ask ourselves why we care. Or, I dunno, maybe I'm the only one around here who does. I like what Newsweek wrote a few weeks ago (in an article that doesn't seem to be online anymore):

"The irony, of course, is that being 'kind of odd' is what made us fall for Winona Ryder in the first place. As a teenager, she shined in a series of films that helped make those years safe for beautiful freaks. She was every unencouraged artist, every unacknowledged princess. ... Careers like Christina Ricci's and Thora Birch's are unimaginable without Ryder."

Myself, I've never really been able to decide if she can act or not. She can certainly be herself, or the person we imagine her to be, very well. My favorite Winona role is Corky in Jim Jarmusch's Night on Earth (unfortunately not yet on DVD), which I would guess is an exaggeration of some of the people she grew up with. She was effective in Heathers and Beetlejuice, but neither role seemed like much of a stretch, acting-wise (though, of course, therein may lie her talent). Even so, I was surprised that, for a while there, the likes of Scorsese and Coppola were hot to work with her. In movies like House of the Spirits and Alien 4: Resurrection (or whatever; it was too awful even to bother looking up again), her co-stars acted circles around her.

All in all, I guess it's mostly the prospect of such a small, doe-eyed and still relatively young woman getting locked up for years that's so jolting.
jogilvy
post #2  on July 16, 2002 - 5:15 PM PDT  
just when we had decided to start a column that is cute actors who are INSANE - all about how ya get a crush on some cute actor, or actress, then lo and behold, turns out that he/she is INSANE- what cn ya do? used to be actors were cute, smart and talented- now most often it's one of the three but few triple threats abound

> On July 16, 2002 - 9:44 AM PST dwhudson wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Sadly, the time has come for a GreenCine WinonaWatch.
>
> As the BBC is reporting today, Winona Ryder's lawyer's efforts to get a judge to disqualify the LA County district attorney from prosecuting her have come to nought. The next hearing is set for August 13, and it sure looks like a trial's going to be scheduled after all.
>
> A quick run-down for those of you too busy to keep up with Winona's saga because you're catching up with terror alerts, watching the markets nosedive or snickering at the president's efforts to keep a straight face as he denounces corporate sleeze: Mid-December, Winona was caught in, or actually, just walking out of a Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills with a couple of thousand dollars worth of merchandise stuffed in her shopping bags she hadn't paid for, along with Oxycodone, a morphine derivative for which you need a prescription; which Ms. Ryder did not have. She's now facing four felony charges which could get her locked up for nearly four years.
>
> For more nitty gritty, see this piece at Alternet, and for sheer fun, see Leslie Harpold's Power Point entry in the Click to Add Title competition, "Winona Needs Us".
>
> But to truly justify the WinonaWatch, though, we need to ask ourselves why we care. Or, I dunno, maybe I'm the only one around here who does. I like what Newsweek wrote a few weeks ago (in an article that doesn't seem to be online anymore):
>
> "The irony, of course, is that being 'kind of odd' is what made us fall for Winona Ryder in the first place. As a teenager, she shined in a series of films that helped make those years safe for beautiful freaks. She was every unencouraged artist, every unacknowledged princess. ... Careers like Christina Ricci's and Thora Birch's are unimaginable without Ryder."
>
> Myself, I've never really been able to decide if she can act or not. She can certainly be herself, or the person we imagine her to be, very well. My favorite Winona role is Corky in Jim Jarmusch's Night on Earth (unfortunately not yet on DVD), which I would guess is an exaggeration of some of the people she grew up with. She was effective in Heathers and Beetlejuice, but neither role seemed like much of a stretch, acting-wise (though, of course, therein may lie her talent). Even so, I was surprised that, for a while there, the likes of Scorsese and Coppola were hot to work with her. In movies like House of the Spirits and Alien 4: Resurrection (or whatever; it was too awful even to bother looking up again), her co-stars acted circles around her.
>
> All in all, I guess it's mostly the prospect of such a small, doe-eyed and still relatively young woman getting locked up for years that's so jolting.
> ---------------------------------

dwhudson
post #3  on July 18, 2002 - 7:30 AM PDT  
>ya get a crush on some cute actor, or actress, then lo and behold, turns out that he/she is INSANE

Jogilvy, we both know the only sane human left in Hollywood is Paul Newman.

Meantime, Which Winona Are You? Turns out I'm Lelaina Pierce from Reality Bites, which is kinda disturbing, actually. When I hear "My Sharona", I tend to run the other way, not whip around hopelessly like an electrocuted jackknife.
jogilvy
post #4  on July 19, 2002 - 4:54 PM PDT  
indeed. and the only one who still has his own facial tissue left too- i would say---and if ya don't like my sharona, you missed out lots of loafing time in front of the old 7-11. arf arf.


> On July 18, 2002 - 7:30 AM PST dwhudson wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> >ya get a crush on some cute actor, or actress, then lo and behold, turns out that he/she is INSANE
>
> Jogilvy, we both know the only sane human left in Hollywood is Paul Newman.
>
> Meantime, Which Winona Are You? Turns out I'm Lelaina Pierce from Reality Bites, which is kinda disturbing, actually. When I hear "My Sharona", I tend to run the other way, not whip around hopelessly like an electrocuted jackknife.
> ---------------------------------

SRhodes
post #5  on July 21, 2002 - 2:29 PM PDT  

I like Winona. She was good in Heathers, Beetlejuice, and Edward Scissorhands as well as the Night on Earth segment David mentioned.

She also is an interesting guest on Charlie Rose. She wasn't very good in the Age of Innocence, but she talked about how much she learned from Scorsese.

In the documentary on the Heathers DVD, they talk about how Jennifer Connely was considered for the role she played, but Winona was determined to get the part.
dwhudson
post #6  on August 19, 2002 - 8:42 AM PDT  
Ah, the winding ways of the US justice system. Instead of setting a date for a trial, a Beverly Hills judge has set a date for "pretrial motions," that is, a sort of hearing to determine what evidence might be admissable, etc. That date: August 26.

Within 30 days of that, he'll set an actual date. Winona might just be able to sneak in another job before any of this really gets off the ground -- if, of course, anyone'll hire her.
dwhudson
post #7  on September 4, 2002 - 2:32 PM PDT  
Well, there's a show called "Celebrity Justice" now, evidently, and this Reuters report sez that there is such a thing. And that it's the opposite of what you might expect. Instead of getting the kid gloves treatment, in some cases, celebrities get the book thrown at them in order have an example made of them.

Besides Winona's case, the show looked at 16 other Beverly Hills shoplifting cases and found that none were hit with as many charges. Now, where's my "Free Winona" t-shirt...
dwhudson
post #8  on October 5, 2002 - 12:04 PM PDT  
Winona's trial finally begins on Monday, Oct 7, and Slate's legal correspondent, Dahlia Lithwick, has an excellent and pretty amusing article arguing essentially that District Attorney Steve Cooley is not only barking up the wrong tree in his dogged pursual of a conviction on four felony charges, he may also simply be barking mad:

"Steve Cooley may well go down in history as the guy who put a shoplifter behind bars by publicly mischaracterizing the evidence, diverting scarce resources, and refusing to plea bargain in good faith. Will it redeem O.J.? I doubt it. Will it make the world safer? No. Will it make a good movie? Probably not even on Lifetime."
dwhudson
post #9  on October 5, 2002 - 12:06 PM PDT  
>pursual

Wha?

Pursuit.
dwhudson
post #10  on October 26, 2002 - 8:33 AM PDT  
Kind of a sad moment, seems to me, at the jury selection the other day. There sat Winona, next to her lawyer, as prospective jury members were being interviewed, including independent producer and former Sony Entertainment Pictures chairman Peter Guber (who was there when the studio released Dracula).

So, according to the AP, there sits Winona, listening and watching as...

"'Quite a few of you are in the entertainment industry,' prosecutor Ann Rundle told the panel. 'Do you think at any point in the future you might hope to work with Ms. Ryder?'

"All shook their heads no."

Aw, man. Can you say, "Ouch"?
dwhudson
post #11  on October 31, 2002 - 8:43 AM PST  


With the trial in full swing, it's hard to escape coverage of it -- and I may be the only GreenCiner who doesn't want to. I just can't help it, though. It's a creepy, sad, occasionally funny event. On the one side, a clearly overzealous DA; on the other, the spectacle of a public meltdown (Didn't my assistant pay for it? My director told me to try shoplifting...).

A few items I've noticed that are a little more interesting than just another AP or Reuters run-down of the day: In the New York Observer, Nancy Griffin and Kim Masters try to figure out why Peter Guber so evidently wanted to be on the jury:

"Nothing like it has come up in Hollywood history. Plenty of stars have sat in courtrooms -- Robert Mitchum, Robert Downey Jr., Charlie Sheen. But Mitchum wasn't being judged by Howard Hughes or Harry Cohn."

Over in the LA Weekly, Nikki Finke has a hunch: "so he can get Ryder for his next movie for $6 instead of $6 million (her usual fee)."

There's also a fun piece on one of the weirdos the trial has attracted, Pat Caddell.
dwhudson
post #12  on November 6, 2002 - 12:33 PM PST  
Guilty.

Good heavens. Sentencing on December 6, nearly a full year after she was arrested. The wheels of justice, they are slow.
Eoliano
post #13  on November 7, 2002 - 6:55 AM PST  
>dwhudson wrote:
>The wheels of justice, they are slow.

Our court system is painfully slow, indeed. I bet cases are backlogged at least one year throughout California's court system.

She was found guilty of vandalism and felony grand theft and could get up to three years in the State Penn, but doubt that she will. Instead, she'll be fined, given some kind of community service to perform, and be stuck with probation.

I thought of her yesterday while trying on some much-needed clothes; should I, or shouldn't I switch tags? That was the question. It wasn't in Saks. I dislike Saks. Always have. I'd rather be caught shoplifting in Bergdorfs!
oldkingcole
post #14  on November 7, 2002 - 4:08 PM PST  
> On November 7, 2002 - 6:55 AM PST Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> She was found guilty of vandalism and felony grand theft and could get up to three years in the State Penn, but doubt that she will. Instead, she'll be fined, given some kind of community service to perform, and be stuck with probation.

This scenario seems likely. However, it's not like she's getting off with a slap on the wrist. Both guilty verdicts were for felonies. My understanding is that this means she has two "strikes" under California law. One more, and she can sent to jail for the rest of her life!
Eoliano
post #15  on November 7, 2002 - 6:41 PM PST  
> On November 7, 2002 - 4:08 PM PST oldkingcole wrote:

>My understanding is that this means she has two "strikes" under California law. One more, and she can sent to jail for the rest of her life!

Do you think she'll hit Target next?


dwhudson
post #16  on November 8, 2002 - 1:47 PM PST  
Ray wrote:

> My understanding is that this means she has two "strikes" under California law. One more, and she can sent to jail for the rest of her life!
> ---------------------------------

Funny you should say. Duncan Campbell frames his story on the trial for the Guardian with the case of one Leonardo Andrade, who faces 50 years in prison because, one, he nabbed $153 worth of videos from K-Mart (that's, what, two pairs of socks for Winona?), and two, it's his third strike.

>Target?

If she had another strike left, she might consider it. The papers keep mentioning that the trial has brought her all sorts of publicity that her acting hasn't lately. And the offers are coming in, evidently.

One last pointer. An amusing imaginary phone call with Winona by Tony Pierce.
Eoliano
post #17  on November 8, 2002 - 3:17 PM PST  


> >Target?

The store, Target, is pronounced by the shopping cognoscenti as though it were a French word.

Mon Dieu, mon ami, but she wouldn't dare.
Eoliano
post #18  on November 19, 2002 - 4:27 PM PST  
Next in line for arraignment, Paul Rubens and Jeffery Jones, and the LA Police Department's operation appears to be a set-up.
dwhudson
post #19  on November 20, 2002 - 6:28 AM PST  
Photos were taken.

I don't know anything about Jeffrey Jones or his case, but this has got to be a really unfortunate incident for poor Paul Reubens. How long ago was that whole porn theater thing? I can't remember, and that's just the thing: Now that that's finally forgotten and he was getting roles again, along comes this.
Eoliano
post #20  on November 21, 2002 - 10:14 AM PST  
> On November 20, 2002 - 6:28 AM PST dwhudson wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Photos were taken.

Yes, but you must realize, this is the LAPD we are talking about, and their reputation is not the finest.
page  1  2      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.