GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Anime
Discuss all topics related to anime.
561

Current Enjoyments & Past Favorites
Topic by: Battie
Posted: June 8, 2006 - 11:01 PM PDT
Last Reply: July 15, 2006 - 5:59 PM PDT

page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7      prev | next
author topic: Current Enjoyments & Past Favorites
Battie
post #1  on June 8, 2006 - 11:01 PM PDT  
I'm bored. I wanna talk anime, even if it's to myself on a board no one posts on.

*sigh* Yes, pathetic.

I am currently watching X...whenever it arrives in my mailbox. Now that the end is near, it's actually getting interesting.

I am also watching Gilgamesh, which is still enjoyable. Though where the sister goes to work is kinda sad. And realistic. -1 point and +1 point. :P

I saw Mirage of Blaze: Rebels of the River Edge, which has to be misnamed. What rebels? C'mon! But anyway, I think I might've watched the tv series, but I either stopped early on, or I have completely forgotten everything about it! I always thought MoB was wink-wink shounen-ai...not "If you can defeat me, you can have me"/hands-down-da-pants shounen-ai. *shocked* (Okay, that second part was pretty sexy.) Is there going to be another OVA?
hamano
post #2  on June 9, 2006 - 4:23 AM PDT  
I'm watching Burst Angel, and it's kinda boring even though the mecha is first rate in terms of design and animation. There are a few close parallels to Black Lagoon, curiously enough. It's almost a sci-fi harem version of Black Lagoon. Instead of a beat-up PT boat the girls travel in a giant "RV" filled with high tech equipment (like Bogie in The Third). There's a "Dutch" character, an older woman who gets the jobs, figures out logistics, and drives the main vehicle.
There's a "Benny" character, a computer hacker, except she's a little girl instead of a geeky guy from Miami.
There's a "Revy" character, a crazy/sexy woman with double pistols who seems to "come alive" only when she's shooting things up.
There's a "Rock" character, a cooking academy student, an outsider who stumbles into this group and becomes part of it.

The sin of Burst Angels is that it's got all these great things going for it and yet it's still boring. The character designs remind me of Dai Guard, which was a fun show with better characters. The team of high tech ninja girls reminds me of Bubblegum Crisis. The situation reminds me of Black Lagoon, which is a later show but better.

So I can't really recommend this show unless you have a need to see cutting edge mecha in action. If you wanna see some cool robot fighting, this is the show for you. I'm probably gonna go see CARS with the kids this afternoon, for some cutting edge mecha...
Yowanda
post #3  on June 9, 2006 - 12:08 PM PDT  
I watched X last year, and I really enjoyed it. I watched the movie after the show, and didn't really like it as much. The movie is much darker and more violent, and a bit different. Like one of the Dragons is a totally different person, although I can't remember which one now.

I recently finished Genshiken and Loveless, both of which I really enjoyed. Genshiken is a really funny look at the geeky side of anime/manga. And Loveless is my first trip into any really shonen-ai stuff. I had read the first volume of the manga. Now I can't wait for more of the manga to come out! And I finally got to see the first disc of Saiyuki Reload Gunlock. Yay! Now I'm kinda trying to decide what anime to watch next. Actually, the first disc of Mospeada just arrived a couple days ago, so maybe I'll be checking that one out next.
Battie
post #4  on June 9, 2006 - 5:49 PM PDT  
> On June 9, 2006 - 4:23 AM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I'm watching Burst Angel, and it's kinda boring even though the mecha is first rate in terms of design and animation. There are a few close parallels to Black Lagoon, curiously enough. It's almost a sci-fi harem version of Black Lagoon. Instead of a beat-up PT boat the girls travel in a giant "RV" filled with high tech equipment (like Bogie in The Third). There's a "Dutch" character, an older woman who gets the jobs, figures out logistics, and drives the main vehicle.
> There's a "Benny" character, a computer hacker, except she's a little girl instead of a geeky guy from Miami.
> There's a "Revy" character, a crazy/sexy woman with double pistols who seems to "come alive" only when she's shooting things up.
> There's a "Rock" character, a cooking academy student, an outsider who stumbles into this group and becomes part of it.
>
> The sin of Burst Angels is that it's got all these great things going for it and yet it's still boring. The character designs remind me of Dai Guard, which was a fun show with better characters. The team of high tech ninja girls reminds me of Bubblegum Crisis. The situation reminds me of Black Lagoon, which is a later show but better.
>
> So I can't really recommend this show unless you have a need to see cutting edge mecha in action. If you wanna see some cool robot fighting, this is the show for you. I'm probably gonna go see CARS with the kids this afternoon, for some cutting edge mecha...
> ---------------------------------

It's funny, but I thought the same thing...It reminded me a lot of Black Lagoon. But with more boring. *snicker*
Battie
post #5  on June 9, 2006 - 6:04 PM PDT  
> On June 9, 2006 - 12:08 PM PDT Yowanda wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I watched X last year, and I really enjoyed it. I watched the movie after the show, and didn't really like it as much. The movie is much darker and more violent, and a bit different. Like one of the Dragons is a totally different person, although I can't remember which one now.
>

Someone told me the movie sucked. :P

> I recently finished Genshiken and Loveless, both of which I really enjoyed. Genshiken is a really funny look at the geeky side of anime/manga. And Loveless is my first trip into any really shonen-ai stuff. I had read the first volume of the manga. Now I can't wait for more of the manga to come out! And I finally got to see the first disc of Saiyuki Reload Gunlock. Yay! Now I'm kinda trying to decide what anime to watch next. Actually, the first disc of Mospeada just arrived a couple days ago, so maybe I'll be checking that one out next.
> ---------------------------------

I caught the first episode or two of Genshiken with Shiori at AnimeFest last year. Then promptly forgot about it until I saw a trailer on Burst Angel or Munto. Dangit! *looks at queue* Gotta add......

Mospeada? I'm thinking of finally finishing (although I gotta restart at the beginning since it's been years) Ceres when I finally catch up with the fansubs.

Gilgamesh actually started getting really good at around episode 12 or so. It was already interesting, but wennt *boom* with new developments. >:D So I'm really enjoying that.

And long time no see, chica!
Battie
post #6  on June 9, 2006 - 10:27 PM PDT  
*curses and cries* Gilgamesh's end was the most screwed up ending in anime, save for Berserk! ARGH! Not only did it end with me crying (just a tiny bit; my skin is thicker these days, teehee), but it left me with too many questions. Grrrrr!
Yowanda
post #7  on June 10, 2006 - 8:50 PM PDT  
> On June 9, 2006 - 6:04 PM PDT Battie wrote:

> Mospeada? I'm thinking of finally finishing (although I gotta restart at the beginning since it's been years) Ceres when I finally catch up with the fansubs.
>

Well, I decided to watch the "original" Robotech last year. I did Macross last year, and liked it well enough. But couldn't even make it through the first disc of Southern Cross back at the beginning of the year. So now I figured I'd try Mospeada. Finished the first disc tonight. Interesting enough. I'll keep renting for now.

And I did watch Ceres myself not too long ago. Throughly enjoyed that one too. I hadn't realized it was by, um, Yu Watase (right?). Same guy who did Fushigi Yugi. I liked Ceres a lot better.

> And long time no see, chica!
> ---------------------------------
Yeah, thanks. I just don't seem to have the time to read the boards much these days. Or watch much anime. :( My 2-year-old just doesn't nap as much as she used to. I remember when she was a newborn, and I could watch a whole disc of anime the same day I got it, and return it the next day. Oh well. Probably better for me to not spend all my time watching tv. But I have gotten her hooked on Hamtaro. :)



hamano
post #8  on June 10, 2006 - 9:11 PM PDT  
My daughter read the last Harry Potter book in one night. I chalk up her fast reading skills to anime.... Cardcaptor Sakura was only available (in the original, non-Cardcaptorze form) with sub only, and a lot of her favorite shows were fansubs only. So she grew up reading subtitles, and now she can read a whole book in a day or two.

Now she also prefers subs to dubs...
Battie
post #9  on June 11, 2006 - 12:06 AM PDT  
> On June 10, 2006 - 9:11 PM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> My daughter read the last Harry Potter book in one night. I chalk up her fast reading skills to anime.... Cardcaptor Sakura was only available (in the original, non-Cardcaptorze form) with sub only, and a lot of her favorite shows were fansubs only. So she grew up reading subtitles, and now she can read a whole book in a day or two.
>
> Now she also prefers subs to dubs...
> ---------------------------------

Well, I was a reader before I was an anime watcher. But these days it takes a good 4-5 straight hours for a 600-page book. Used to be faster...think because I had more focus. My mind will wander right in the middle of a page now, rotfl!

Ahh...sub vs. dub. I never understood that debate until last year. I always preferred the dub...and then I actually began paying attention to the differences between Japanese and American voice actors. Generally speaking, not only to American voice actors come out looking worse for the wear, they usually grate on my ears to boot. Especially the female voice actors. I think it has more to do with the differences in languages. In Japanese, a higher pitched voice doesn't sound as bad. But English is a rather guttural language. High-pitched voiced + guttural language = unpleasant. Wish American anime companies would hire normal people, rotfl.
Battie
post #10  on June 11, 2006 - 5:20 AM PDT  
Teehee!! I'm catching up on Gakuen Heaven. Episode two: Elbow violation! "What's the matter? I'm done disinfecting it." Uh huh! ROTFL!

The only sad thing about Gakuen Heaven, besides the lack of nekkidness (the near-nekkidness doesn't count!), is that I giggle far too much while watching. I'm more immature than I thought. :(

Okay, okay. I confess. In episode three when Keita is handed a letter to give to the dorm leader, visions of an "initiation" flashed through my head. I am a sick, sick puppy. *giggle*

I vote that Keita's "special skill" that got him into the school was his ability to have every male past puberty lusting after him. Teehee! Or maybe it was his amazing luck...or lack thereof.

All that said, the mini-mysteries are...annoying. But then, what else could they base a boyss school series around?

Off-topic:
----------------------------------------------
I gotta say though...the thing I'm enjoying the most right now is Doctor Who. Out of all the anime series and tv series (including Battlestar Galactica and The 4400), Doctor Who is the best. It's funny and outlandish, and the actors chosen for the Doctor and Rose are really good. That first episode had such great romantic and, dare I say, sexual tension between the two. I love it! :D I do wonder though...how different is this new version compared to the old?

They replaced who plays the Doctor though. HOW DARE THEY! *sobbing* I want Eccleston back!!!! (Okay, so technically, he refused to stay...but still!) Oddly enough, I did not realize he played the very horrible Major in 28 Days Later. Now I'm going to rent that movie (for like the fourth time--unless BB still has it really cheap, used) just to see him in action as such a nasty dude.

There's also a rumor that Billie Piper, playing Rose, will be leaving at the end of Season 2. Wth? Ahh, those British!!!

I wish I had the BBC!
hamano
post #11  on June 11, 2006 - 8:47 AM PDT  
> On June 11, 2006 - 5:20 AM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> They replaced who plays the Doctor though. HOW DARE THEY!

Gee, I think Peter Cushing played the first doctor I ever saw (in the movie version)... this show's been on since the early 1960s. You're watching the 9th or 10th Doctor, so you should know, they DARE a lot!

> There's also a rumor that Billie Piper, playing Rose, will be leaving at the end of Season 2. Wth? Ahh, those British!!!

I guess I belong to the Tom Baker generation, so my favorite "companions" were Leela and Romana 2. I think previous to that the "companions" were mostly Earth human girls (mostly there to have things explained to them and to be rescued from the bad guys), but around then they'd become more exotic, and tough. Leela was like Xena or Sheena of the Jungle, and Romana was a Time Lord herself, and almost more popular than Dr. Who. I lost interest in the show because of K9, a really low-tech looking robot dog, kinda like the Pokedex in Pokemon but less useful. Ick. The Daleks were cool though. Inverted trash cans rolling around spraying people with foam. "Exterminate! Exterminate!"
hamano
post #12  on June 11, 2006 - 8:53 AM PDT  
> On June 11, 2006 - 5:20 AM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I do wonder though...how different is this new version compared to the old?

You can queue them up and see for yourself!
Dr. Who in the GC catalog

Ooh, they have Robots of Death, the arc that introduces Leela!
woozy
post #13  on June 11, 2006 - 11:56 AM PDT  
How bizaar. A friend just invited me to watch the season finale and I hadn't been watching anything at all.

I kind of like the 5th blonde foppish doctor (who played the vet in all creatures great and small) simply because he wasn't Tom Baker who seemed to always be the doctor in most peoples eyes. I always thought of him as the new doctor and when the Colin Baker replaced him it was a long time before those episodes where shown in the U.S.

So I asked my friend "So what's been happening in the Dr. Who world in the last last 20 or 30 years" and she laughed and said "Ha, you're on your own for that, mate!"

When the doctor regenerated I said "Time Lords regenerate only 12 times don't they? So how many is this?" She claimed not to have heard the bit of 12 generations and was pretty sure they must be passed that. I researched yesterday and what's his face ecclesiastis is the 9th Doctor and silly boy will be the 10th. I hadn't realized Dr. Who had been on TV continuously and the series officially ended in 89. I always assumed it was off and on sporadically and it just kind of died through attrition.

My main fear of watching the new episodes would be that my compulsive addiction to linear narrative is going to force me to try to rent all Dr. Who in sequence and *I DON"T HAVE TIME FOR THAT KIND OF CRAP!!!* Oh, well. It'll be hard as the first Dr. Who "The Beginning" is collected through scraps and files and storyboard reconstructions as the original films and tapes were scrapped.

Oh, Peter Cushing and the movie was my first Dr. Who experience as well but, as hamano no doubt knows, is not considered "canon" with the TV series. (In the movie the doctor played by Peter Cushing was a human inventor.)

Anyhow, I guess the Doctor will never have a female incarnation nor will one of his incarnations turn out to be his mortal enemy, The Master.

Ramona's my favorite companion as well.
woozy
post #14  on June 11, 2006 - 12:11 PM PDT  
Okay, here's a list of Dr. Who on DVD in order and here is the list of all serials. I guess the DVDs are far from complete.

BTW, I only saw the last episode of the new Dr. Who but I thought it was pretty consistant with the old. I figured they'd have probably slicked it up or sophisticated the story writing, but nope, still the same guilty pleasure. And, god, the Delaks are still every bit as painful to my ears as always.
Ursus
post #15  on June 11, 2006 - 5:54 PM PDT  
> On June 9, 2006 - 10:27 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> *curses and cries* Gilgamesh's end was the most screwed up ending in anime, save for Berserk! ARGH! Not only did it end with me crying (just a tiny bit; my skin is thicker these days, teehee), but it left me with too many questions. Grrrrr!
> ---------------------------------

I saw that one coming a ways off... which is why I cast it by the wayside before it could rend my soul and char my flesh.

"It may have been my sixth or even my seventh sense." (What's the movie?)
Battie
post #16  on June 12, 2006 - 12:26 AM PDT  
> On June 11, 2006 - 5:54 PM PDT Ursus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I saw that one coming a ways off... which is why I cast it by the wayside before it could rend my soul and char my flesh.
>
> "It may have been my sixth or even my seventh sense." (What's the movie?)
> ---------------------------------

Spoiler:

Well, you expect a few characters to die, NOT ALL OF THEM!!

And I've no clue. I've heard it...but can't remember it.
Ursus
post #17  on June 12, 2006 - 10:51 AM PDT  
Super Troopers.
shiori308
post #18  on June 13, 2006 - 2:23 AM PDT  
OKay people coming in late but I have to say that I LOVED Genshiken and now own it. Very short series and in the extras they show episodes of the made up show Kujibiki Unbalance which are quite entertaining. I forgot that I saw that at Animefest Battie! I kept telling people about it but could never place where I initially saw it. Now I remember though. Is the ending of Gilgamesh really awful because I just finished getting over Spiral and I'm getting near the end of Gilgamesh and I don't know if I will recover from another horrible ending. Not to mention I finally watched the last disc of Elfen Lied and was crying all night, drowning my sorrow in a bottle of Pinot Grigio and then passing out only to have deeply disturbing violent dreams where everyone was animated and lived the most depressing lives imaginable with pink hair. I've been watching Gankutsuou which has become really interesting for me. The only thing stopping me from buying it is the full set has not been released yet in the US.
Battie
post #19  on June 13, 2006 - 4:13 AM PDT  
> On June 13, 2006 - 2:23 AM PDT shiori308 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> OKay people coming in late but I have to say that I LOVED Genshiken and now own it. Very short series and in the extras they show episodes of the made up show Kujibiki Unbalance which are quite entertaining. I forgot that I saw that at Animefest Battie! I kept telling people about it but could never place where I initially saw it. Now I remember though. Is the ending of Gilgamesh really awful because I just finished getting over Spiral and I'm getting near the end of Gilgamesh and I don't know if I will recover from another horrible ending. Not to mention I finally watched the last disc of Elfen Lied and was crying all night, drowning my sorrow in a bottle of Pinot Grigio and then passing out only to have deeply disturbing violent dreams where everyone was animated and lived the most depressing lives imaginable with pink hair. I've been watching Gankutsuou which has become really interesting for me. The only thing stopping me from buying it is the full set has not been released yet in the US.
> ---------------------------------

Yeah, it took me several days to figure out where I'd seen Genshiken, too! I was like..."Okay, I know I didn't download the fansub. And I didn't rent it...and I didn't see it at a friends...WHERE DID I SEE IT!?" LoL!

Gilgamesh gets really interesting in the middle of the series, and even has a little romance. Then the ending... :| Horrible.

Saddest endings ever:
Gankutsuou
Berserk
Gilgamesh
Elfen Lied
Ninja Scroll

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, thank God. Gilgamesh's ending was actually worse than both Berserk and Gankutsuou, but I was more attached to the characters in those two animes. Gankutsuou killed me! But it was soooo good. Gilgamesh's ending was also...okay, I know what happened, but then this weird scene at the end confused me, so I ended up not being entirely sure about what happened. Sucked. But either way, it was still depressing.
NLee
post #20  on June 13, 2006 - 6:37 AM PDT  
> On June 13, 2006 - 4:13 AM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Saddest endings ever:
> Gankutsuou
> Berserk
> Gilgamesh
> Elfen Lied
> Ninja Scroll
> ---------------------------------

I'm happy to say that I didn't see any of the above except for Ninja Scroll and part of Elfen Lied.

The ending of Ninja Scroll is not a particularly sad one. It is to be expected. Let this be a lesson to all you young girls out there: if you ever get romantically involved with a travelling samurai (or ninja, or cowboy), be prepared to die at the end of the movie.

I watched the first few episodes of Elfen Lied (because somebody here recommended it to me). But I wimped out after seeing both arms of a young girl getting riped off.
page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.