GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Foreign
From Albania to Zaire, there's a whole world out there.
183

Agnès Varda
Topic by: IVLIA
Posted: July 15, 2004 - 9:33 PM PDT
Last Reply: July 21, 2004 - 12:03 AM PDT

page  1  2      prev | next
author topic: Agnès Varda
IVLIA
post #1  on July 15, 2004 - 9:33 PM PDT  
Anyone out there know anything about future DVD releases of Agnès Varda films, like Le Bonheur or the fascinatingly bizarre Les Créatures (Catherine Deneuve, Michel Piccoli)?

I know she's a complete perfectionist and insists on being involved with the DVD transfers of her films, but come on! She's made over 30 films and I think only about 5 of them (or thereabouts) are available on DVD.
Eoliano
post #2  on July 15, 2004 - 11:16 PM PDT  
> Anyone out there know anything about future DVD releases of Agnès Varda films, like Le Bonheur or the fascinatingly bizarre Les Créatures (Catherine Deneuve, Michel Piccoli)?

Even Amazon.fr only lists a few titles. You'll just have to sit tight and wait and keep in mind that only a year or so ago there weren't any Visconti titles available on DVD and now there are at least six. That's not enough, for sure, but that's certainly better than not having any at all.
IVLIA
post #3  on July 16, 2004 - 12:38 AM PDT  
Thanks Eoliano.

It just sucks to wait, ya know? Like we're supposed to be happy that they've finally got around to releasing a couple of Bresson films on DVD, but where's Mouchette, for example? It's maddening!

> On July 15, 2004 - 11:16 PM PDT Eoliano wrote:
>
> Even Amazon.fr only lists a few titles. You'll just have to sit tight and wait and keep in mind that only a year or so ago there weren't any Visconti titles available on DVD and now there are at least six. That's not enough, for sure, but that's certainly better than not having any at all.
> ---------------------------------
Eoliano
post #4  on July 16, 2004 - 12:51 AM PDT  
You're welcome!

Patience is a virtue we can all afford. I waited years for a DVD of Il Gattopardo/The Leopard, until finally two years ago, there was a very fine Italian DVD SE, now, thanks to Criterion and BFI, I have three versions on DVD, and an even finer print than the Italian DVD.
IVLIA
post #5  on July 16, 2004 - 12:56 AM PDT  
Ben, tu es italiano, non è vero?

> On July 16, 2004 - 12:51 AM PDT Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> You're welcome!
>
> Patience is a virtue we can all afford. I waited years for a DVD of Il Gattopardo/The Leopard, until finally two years ago, there was a very fine Italian DVD SE, now, thanks to Criterion and BFI, I have three versions on DVD, and an even finer print than the Italian DVD.
> ---------------------------------
Eoliano
post #6  on July 16, 2004 - 1:13 AM PDT  
> Ben, tu es italiano, non è vero?

E' vero, si, ma italo-americano, o correttamente, siciliano-americano... e tu?
IVLIA
post #7  on July 16, 2004 - 1:20 AM PDT  
Sì, anch'io: italio-americana. La mia famiglia è di Verona. Ma sono nata a Los Angeles. Ho studiato un po' l'italiano, però parlo francese meglio.

In any case, it's nice to meet you, so to speak.

> On July 16, 2004 - 1:13 AM PDT Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > Ben, tu es italiano, non è vero?
>
> E' vero, si, ma italo-americano, o correttamente, siciliano-americano... e tu?
> ---------------------------------
Eoliano
post #8  on July 16, 2004 - 1:34 AM PDT  
> Sì, anch'io: italio-americana. La mia famiglia è di Verona. Ma sono nata a Los Angeles. Ho studiato un po' l'italiano, però parlo francese meglio.

That's okay, English is fine, unless you enjoy baffling the other posters.

Bella citta', Verona. Have you been there?

> In any case, it's nice to meet you, so to speak.

And you!
underdog
post #9  on July 16, 2004 - 10:55 AM PDT  
Here's a link to Agnes Varda's work here on GreenCine, and it is indeed currently only five films, alas.

I'm still waiting for her other film about her husband, this one more about his childhood, Jacquot de Nantes, to come out -- a beautiful work. I have an OK VHS tape dubbed from a TV airing ages ago but it deserves a DVD.

But yes, when it comes to DVDs, patience is a virtue.
IVLIA
post #10  on July 16, 2004 - 11:14 AM PDT  
Thanks Underdog!

Jacquot de Nantes is definitely on my "patience is a virtue" list. It's just so hard to fathom that so few of Varda's groundbreaking films (she is widely credited as the FIRST filmmaker of the nouvelle vague) are available, even on VHS.

Anyway, I'd rather rant and stomp my feet and pull my hair out over the unavailability of these films. Patience and virtue and quiet suffering have a sort of quasi-religious parfum about them--totally unsatisfying either way!

> On July 16, 2004 - 10:55 AM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Here's a link to Agnes Varda's work here on GreenCine, and it is indeed currently only five films, alas.
>
> I'm still waiting for her other film about her husband, this one more about his childhood, Jacquot de Nantes, to come out -- a beautiful work. I have an OK VHS tape dubbed from a TV airing ages ago but it deserves a DVD.
>
> But yes, when it comes to DVDs, patience is a virtue.
> ---------------------------------
sinisterguffaw
post #11  on July 17, 2004 - 1:05 PM PDT  
Hm. A name AND an avatar change, all at the same time! Mama Mia!
sinisterguffaw
post #12  on July 17, 2004 - 1:42 PM PDT  
er... Mamma Mia! sorry. my stereotyping is a little rusty.
IVLIA
post #13  on July 17, 2004 - 5:44 PM PDT  
Dio mio! Y'all don't miss a trick.

Gotta run. The calzone is burning!

> On July 17, 2004 - 1:42 PM PDT sinisterguffaw wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> er... Mamma Mia! sorry. my stereotyping is a little rusty.
> ---------------------------------
Eoliano
post #14  on July 18, 2004 - 12:25 AM PDT  
> Gotta run. The calzone is burning!

Speriamo tu non bruciare la calzone!
IVLIA
post #15  on July 18, 2004 - 9:00 AM PDT  
> Speriamo tu non bruciare la calzone!
> ---------------------------------

No, no. The calzone, she did notta burn.

Anyone reading this thread hoping for intelligent Agnès Varda discussion, mi dispiace molto.

I was thinking of starting another thread to whine about the lack of Marguerite Duras films on DVD (Le camion, India Song, Son nom de Venise dans Calcutta désert), but what's the use?


Eoliano
post #16  on July 18, 2004 - 10:15 AM PDT  
> I was thinking of starting another thread to whine about the lack of Marguerite Duras films on DVD (Le camion, India Song, Son nom de Venise dans Calcutta désert), but what's the use?

Lack of? None or her films are on DVD whatsoever, not even in France, only a few adaptations of her screenplays, so, why not keep your Duras thread going in this one and rant and rave all you like!
IVLIA
post #17  on July 18, 2004 - 12:11 PM PDT  
> Lack of? None or her films are on DVD whatsoever, not even in France, only a few adaptations of her screenplays, so, why not keep your Duras thread going in this one and rant and rave all you like!
> ---------------------------------

Avec plaisir! Baxter, Vera Baxter, La femme du Gange, Nathalie Granger, Détruire, dit-elle, etc.

Anyone out there actually seen these? At all?

Didn't John Waters (of all people) once say that one of his guilty pleasures was watching Duras films?
sinisterguffaw
post #18  on July 18, 2004 - 7:03 PM PDT  
I've seen Baxter. But that's a different story altogether.
underdog
post #19  on July 19, 2004 - 1:44 PM PDT  
> On July 18, 2004 - 7:03 PM PDT sinisterguffaw wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I've seen Baxter. But that's a different story altogether.
> ---------------------------------

Yeah, that Baxter is the black comedy about the dog (another MIA DVD, to be sure). But I believe they were referring to this Baxter. If you do want to at least check out Duras' adaptations and scripts, Hiroshima Mon Amour was based on a Duras novel -- that's on DVD at least. As are Mademoiselle (she wrote the script) and The Lover, as well...

But yep, none of her directorial efforts are currently out on DVD, and that is indeed a shame.

C
sinisterguffaw
post #20  on July 19, 2004 - 3:54 PM PDT  
> Yeah, that Baxter is the black comedy about the dog (another MIA DVD, to be sure). But I believe they were referring to this Baxter.
_______________________________

Yeah, so I assumed when I checked IMDB. But I had never heard of this Baxter! before.
page  1  2      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.