GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Foreign
From Albania to Zaire, there's a whole world out there.
183

Claude Chabrol Collection
Topic by: Eoliano
Posted: January 11, 2003 - 5:24 AM PST
Last Reply: September 19, 2005 - 3:01 AM PDT

author topic: Claude Chabrol Collection
Eoliano
post #1  on January 11, 2003 - 5:24 AM PST  
Claude Chabrol Collection info

>> Also announced today was 8 never before released Claude Chabrol titles. All of the films are from the late 60's early 70's.

Release Information:
Studio: Pathfinder Home Entertainment
DVD Release Date: March 4, 2003

THE CLAUDE CHABROL COLLECTION
Pathfinder Home Entertainment is pleased to present The Claude Chabrol Collection, a series of eight films from the master director whom many refer to as Frances Alfred Hitchcock. All of these films are presented now for the first time ever on DVD. Included with each DVD is a Limited Edition Collectors Booklet featuring biographies and photos from each film.

LIMITED EDITION COLLECTORS BOXED SET of 8 DVDs:

TEN DAYS WONDER

THE UNFAITHFUL WIFE

LES BICHES (BAD GIRLS)

INNOCENTS WITH DIRTY HANDS

THE BUTCHER

THIS MAN MUST DIE

LA RUPTURE (THE BREACH)

NADA


vanjac
post #2  on March 28, 2005 - 2:18 PM PST  
> On January 11, 2003 - 5:24 AM PST Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Claude Chabrol Collection info
>
> >> Also announced today was 8 never before released Claude Chabrol titles. All of the films are from the late 60's early 70's.
>
> Release Information:
> Studio: Pathfinder Home Entertainment
> DVD Release Date: March 4, 2003
>
> THE CLAUDE CHABROL COLLECTION
> Pathfinder Home Entertainment is pleased to present The Claude Chabrol Collection, a series of eight films from the master director whom many refer to as Frances Alfred Hitchcock. All of these films are presented now for the first time ever on DVD. Included with each DVD is a Limited Edition Collectors Booklet featuring biographies and photos from each film.
>
> LIMITED EDITION COLLECTORS BOXED SET of 8 DVDs:
>
> TEN DAYS WONDER
>
> THE UNFAITHFUL WIFE
>
> LES BICHES (BAD GIRLS)
>
> INNOCENTS WITH DIRTY HANDS
>
> THE BUTCHER
>
> THIS MAN MUST DIE
>
> LA RUPTURE (THE BREACH)
>
> NADA
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------


I am getting 5 of his tomorrow as I said. I will have to look at this set.

Van
vanjac
post #3  on March 30, 2005 - 8:11 AM PST  
GC has a great collection of Claude Chabrol, and I am impressed and like his work a lot after seeing many of his films, and I plan to see most of the rest. I have yet to be disappointed in any of his films that I've seen.

I was surprised that The Story of Women could not find a distributer in the US, and the producer had to set up his own US distribution company to get it distributed here. He gives 2 reasons for his problems:
1)abortion
2)the death penalty

and I think he is right. The film is based on a real person in WWII under Vichy.

I have noticed that every Hollywood film I have seen has mothers always opting against abortion--this is often the 'happy ending' of a film.

If a woman has had an abortion (which virtually never happens in Hollywood films), she is racked with guilt and regrets it the rest of her life, if the film doesn't kill her off for her 'sin'.

I am a man so I can't (and don't) say much about it, but I have always thought that

1)women should decide

2)they should be free to get abortions

In theory we still have that right in the US, though with Bush in the WH ...

This reminded me of the McCarthy witch-hunts for commies and left wing liberals in general.

What would have happened to many great foreign (esp. French and Italian) filmakers like Visconti, Bertolucci, Renoir, etc., if they had lived in the US. Look what happened to people who weren't even communists, but supported causes like the NAACP agenda or any cause the Hoover didn't like.

Well, this is politics, not film, but films are often political, right?

Van
kamapuaa
post #4  on March 30, 2005 - 9:18 AM PST  
I agree that abortion is mostly used as something to be later regretted, but I don't believe movies must conform to conservative-Christian beliefs to find US DVD release. There's just too many counter-examples.
vanjac
post #5  on March 31, 2005 - 5:33 AM PST  
> On March 30, 2005 - 9:18 AM PST kamapuaa wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I agree that abortion is mostly used as something to be later regretted, but I don't believe movies must conform to conservative-Christian beliefs to find US DVD release. There's just too many counter-examples.
> ---------------------------------


Or course not. I didn't mean to suggest that. But there a very few counter examples re abortion, though there are some.

I was just surprised that Chabrol's film, which is excellent, and after it was released got all kinds of prizes and critics awards, could not find a US distributor.

Van
hamano
post #6  on March 31, 2005 - 7:08 AM PST  
Much of what happens in the plots of films is wish fulfillment. That's why in this day and age, the Cinderella scenario is still played over and over again. You end up with the mate of your dreams and this person is wonderful and rich to boot.

I don't think abortion should be illegal. It should be as easily accessible, safe, and private as any other medical procedure. But that doesn't make me PRO-abortion... I believe no one is. Ideally, abortions wouldn't be necessary, and unwanted pregnancies will be perfectly prevented, but of course we don't live in a perfect world.

If abortion is tied up with guilt and regret in films, I think that's because no one makes that decision lightly or happily. In so far as films are fairy tales on a certain level, something like an abortion will always remain an unfortunate event or stumbling block in the life of a character.

So I don't think you will find any counter-examples on the abortion issue except maybe in overtly political films (the way the issue is taken up in a film like Citizen Ruth).

It DOES serve as a device to show a character's strength and resilience in making that decision either way, and sometimes to show how family or friends throw their support behind her... One example that many people have seen would be Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

But I don't foresee any future musical comedies set in a Planned Parenthood Clinic...

I think kamapuaa has a point... Beau Pere has been out on DVD for a long time (although currently it seems to be out-of-print) and Geneon has apparently licensed Koi-Kaze for US distribution, so I don't think watchdogs are stopping foreign films with controversial content from being distributed here... Often controversial and possibly sensational content can help generate media attention for a foreign or independent film that few people would see otherwise (Romance, The Brown Bunny).
hamano
post #7  on March 31, 2005 - 7:09 AM PST  
> On March 31, 2005 - 7:08 AM PST hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> But I don't foresee any future musical comedies set in a Planned Parenthood Clinic...

OK, maybe I should run this idea past John Waters before ruling it out completely...
vanjac
post #8  on April 11, 2005 - 4:58 AM PDT  

> I think kamapuaa has a point... Beau Pere has been out on DVD for a long time (although currently it seems to be out-of-print) and Geneon has apparently licensed Koi-Kaze for US distribution, so I don't think watchdogs are stopping foreign films with controversial content from being distributed here... Often controversial and possibly sensational content can help generate media attention for a foreign or independent film that few people would see otherwise (Romance, The Brown Bunny).
> ---------------------------------

I agree with most of what you say, but I stick by my statement that it is surprising that they had to start of there own distribution co. to distribute the Chabrol film in the US. With DVDs and his popularity, I guess someone would have done it sooner or later though.

And I still say that cf to other European films, US-hollywood films are far more conservative. But what can you expect from a country that has black list for all left wing sympathizers, while in Italy and France, Visconti,
Renoir, and others are communists, and no one suggests that they should not make films because of their politics.

The land of the free! Ha!

Van

Van
kamapuaa
post #9  on April 12, 2005 - 1:15 AM PDT  
Comparing Hollywood movies to the European movies that get imported to the US isn't fair - European box office is dominated by Hollywood films, so the European film industry is forced into being more niche and art-film oriented. And anyway, foreign mass-entertainments generally aren't even heard of in the US.

It would make more sense to compare the European film industry to the American "indie" film industry (that may or may not exist depending who you talk to). Or to compare the box offices of respective countries, to see if the most popular films in France are the ones that don't reflect a conservative viewpoint.

It would probably take a massive study, but as a guess, there's probably very little correspondence. The UK's Box Office is here, for instance. "Hitch" is very popular. Hmmm...

France's Box-office isn't quite as much dominated by the US, but the big French movies generally aren't the type you'll see imported to the US and not what people in the US really mean when they say "French movie." Last year's biggest film was about a really dedicated music teacher who helps his students succeed. Lame.
kamapuaa
post #10  on April 14, 2005 - 8:17 PM PDT  
Speaking of which, France has honored Bruce Willis, making him an officer in the Order of Arts and Letters, one of the country's top awards for cultural achievement.
PerfumedDandy
post #11  on September 19, 2005 - 3:01 AM PDT  
The only suspense to be found in Chabrol's movies is the displacement of his camera. I've seen better direction in eBay photos.

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.