GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
TV
By popular demand, a forum devoted to Mr. Philo T. Farnsworth's remarkable invention.
93

Dead Like Me
Topic by: dh22
Posted: September 1, 2004 - 5:43 AM PDT
Last Reply: October 2, 2004 - 7:49 PM PDT

author topic: Dead Like Me
dh22
post #1  on September 1, 2004 - 5:43 AM PDT  
Does anyone watch Dead Like Me? I don't have Showtime so I didn't know it existed. I started renting the DVDs and I must say I'm hooked. It is quite an original concept (as far as I know) and well done. Its not hysterical, and probably not ment to be, but it is consistantly amusing. And Mandy Patinkin is fantastic. He's in a supporting role, but it is one of the best parts I've seen him in.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Cinenaut
post #2  on September 1, 2004 - 9:47 AM PDT  
My opinion is this: I'm queuing it up.
manfarang
post #3  on September 1, 2004 - 10:14 AM PDT  
Season 2 is even better.


> On September 1, 2004 - 5:43 AM PDT dh22 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Does anyone watch Dead Like Me? I don't have Showtime so I didn't know it existed. I started renting the DVDs and I must say I'm hooked. It is quite an original concept (as far as I know) and well done. Its not hysterical, and probably not ment to be, but it is consistantly amusing. And Mandy Patinkin is fantastic. He's in a supporting role, but it is one of the best parts I've seen him in.
>
> Anyone else have an opinion?
> ---------------------------------

woozy
post #4  on September 1, 2004 - 11:24 AM PDT  
I just rented Dead Like Me last week. I liked it. After HBO dramas like the Sopranos and Six Feet Under, I expected something my serious but I like the idea of good quality light hearted entertainment. (was a little inconsistant. And I do like Mandy Patinkin. Why'd they replace the Betty Reaper with Daisy in just four episodes?)

Unexpected side affects of DVDs is I've become hooked to watching television shows on DVD. I watched six years of Buffy and three years of Angel in a matter of months having never seen either.
dh22
post #5  on September 1, 2004 - 2:21 PM PDT  
> On September 1, 2004 - 11:24 AM PDT woozy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>Why'd they replace the Betty Reaper with Daisy in just four episodes?)
>
> ---------------------------------

I have no idea. I hate Daisy. I have heard that Betty may make a re-appearance.
dh22
post #6  on September 1, 2004 - 2:24 PM PDT  
For anyone who doesn't know the show

http://www.deadlikeme.tv/index.php
http://www.greencine.com/webCatalog?id=99078
Bowwow
post #7  on September 1, 2004 - 3:20 PM PDT  
> On September 1, 2004 - 2:24 PM PDT dh22 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> For anyone who doesn't know the show
>
> http://www.deadlikeme.tv/index.php
> http://www.greencine.com/webCatalog?id=99078
> ---------------------------------

Thanks for the links. I also have found that I really like watching tv shows on DVD. So much so that I cancelled my cable and bought a GreenCine membership instead. I am saving $$$ every month and it is GREAT!

woozy
post #8  on September 1, 2004 - 3:37 PM PDT  
> I have no idea. I hate Daisy. I have heard that Betty may make a re-appearance.
> ---------------------------------


As character I don't really hate Daisy as much as I would a real person but she is the weakest of the characters and not as complex as Betty who was a spoiled bitch character (but added depth to the role). The issue seemed to be handled exactly like a comercial series when an actor quits suddenly except as it was only the fifth of thirteen shows, that seemed weird.
dh22
post #9  on September 2, 2004 - 5:47 AM PDT  
I understand what you mean. I think, however, that it may have been a combination of her leaving (I have no idea why she would. Was she doing anything else?) and the writers wanting to add some spice to the show. Maybe they felt they needed someone who was more mischievious, so they could write up some cooky plots for them to get involved with. I, personally, don't agree with that direction.
manfarang
post #10  on September 2, 2004 - 1:17 PM PDT  
Rebecca Gayheart ("Betty 'Reaper' Rohmer") was involved in a serious car accident in late 2001 in which she hit and killed a small boy and wound up pleading guilty to misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter. I've no idea when the first episodes of Dead Like Me were actually filmed, but it's possible that she grew uncomfortable in a role in which people die in accidents (which are often played for laughs) in every episode.

> On September 1, 2004 - 11:24 AM PDT woozy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
Why'd they replace the Betty Reaper with Daisy in just four episodes?)
woozy
post #11  on September 2, 2004 - 5:59 PM PDT  

> Rebecca Gayheart ("Betty 'Reaper' Rohmer") was involved in a serious car accident in late 2001 in which she hit and killed a small boy and wound up pleading guilty to misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter. I've no idea when the first episodes of Dead Like Me were actually filmed, but it's possible that she grew uncomfortable in a role in which people die in accidents (which are often played for laughs) in every episode.
>
The Timing doesn't make sense for that. I've scoured the internet for ... Oh, you're saying she accepted the role after the accident but grew more and more uneasy? Maybe. Can't find anything by scouring the internet.
dh22
post #12  on September 3, 2004 - 6:25 AM PDT  
The rumors I've read say that either it was artist differences between her and the writers, or the characters was intended to be short lived. People seem to like her on the show, which may be leading to a return, but it is all just speculation.
manfarang
post #13  on September 3, 2004 - 11:45 AM PDT  
I was really only pointing at that the accident COULD have had something to do with her limited number of episodes. Maybe it some impact on her work, attitude or effectiveness in the role, or maybe it had nothing to do with it. There could have been creative differences, personality conflicts, etc. I do know that if I accidentally killed a 9-year-old child, it would probably take me quite some time to get back to normal.
whitetigre2001
post #14  on October 2, 2004 - 7:49 PM PDT  
I love that show. I try not to miss any episodes. I am contemplating on buying the 1st season on DVD. l love the whole concept of the show. I have seen other shows that were based on the same cocncepts. This show is by far the best.

Betty leaving mid season 1 was okay. She wasn't that interesting. I like Daisy for the fact, they needed that personality. One that can rile up the others and makes the dynamics more interesting. Now I didn't like the couple of episodes where she seemed to search for religion.
> On September 1, 2004 - 5:43 AM PDT dh22 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Does anyone watch Dead Like Me? I don't have Showtime so I didn't know it existed. I started renting the DVDs and I must say I'm hooked. It is quite an original concept (as far as I know) and well done. Its not hysterical, and probably not ment to be, but it is consistantly amusing. And Mandy Patinkin is fantastic. He's in a supporting role, but it is one of the best parts I've seen him in.
>
> Anyone else have an opinion?
> ---------------------------------

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.