GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Horror
Check out the latest in horror news and discussion, if you dare!
50

The Ruins
Topic by: ScottWeinberg
Posted: April 3, 2008 - 12:40 PM PDT
Last Reply: July 7, 2008 - 11:11 PM PDT

page  1  2      prev | next
author topic: The Ruins
ScottWeinberg
post #1  on April 3, 2008 - 12:40 PM PDT  
Hello CG horror nerdz.

I'm here in Los Angeles (working on a documentary, wooo!) and now that things have slowed down a bit, I felt a little guilty about ignoring my new GC friends.

Here's a brief recap: I've seen a lot of my horror friends out here, I got to attend a very fun charity screening of James Gunn's SLITHER (snapshots soon), and I've had several excellent meals. HAVEN'T, however, had any time to see some new horror flicks. Hopefully my withdrawal jitters will subside when I see THE RUINS tonight, as I am seriously itching for a good horror flick (and yes I read the book, so "itching" is another lame joke).

Who among us is crazy psyched to see this flick? Among those, who has read the Scott Smith novel? And among those, who thought the movie version was A) better, B) worse, or C) just about the same?

Let's stay spoiler-free for at least a week or so. ;)
doozer
post #2  on April 3, 2008 - 1:00 PM PDT  
> On April 3, 2008 - 12:40 PM PDT ScottWeinberg wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Hello CG horror nerdz.
>
> I'm here in Los Angeles (working on a documentary, wooo!) and now that things have slowed down a bit, I felt a little guilty about ignoring my new GC friends.
>
> Here's a brief recap: I've seen a lot of my horror friends out here, I got to attend a very fun charity screening of James Gunn's SLITHER (snapshots soon), and I've had several excellent meals. HAVEN'T, however, had any time to see some new horror flicks. Hopefully my withdrawal jitters will subside when I see THE RUINS tonight, as I am seriously itching for a good horror flick (and yes I read the book, so "itching" is another lame joke).
>
> Who among us is crazy psyched to see this flick? Among those, who has read the Scott Smith novel? And among those, who thought the movie version was A) better, B) worse, or C) just about the same?
>
> Let's stay spoiler-free for at least a week or so. ;)
> ---------------------------------


I have read the novel and I am crazy excited about seeing this movie. Of course none of my friends want to see it.
EmpressStephanie
post #3  on April 3, 2008 - 1:49 PM PDT  
*sigh* I want to see this one but again - no one will go. This time I might just suck it up and go alone.
underdog
post #4  on April 3, 2008 - 2:20 PM PDT  
It's too bad Doozer and the Empress don't live closer!

Maybe y'all should start horror movie clubs in your areas that can meet in person? Or is that too scary? ;)

I want to see this one, too. Let's all report back. I still haven't seen The Signal, either.
ScottWeinberg
post #5  on April 4, 2008 - 12:07 AM PDT  
Just saw it. Quite liked it! My review will be up at FEARnet (and Rotten Tomatoes) later today.
troublemaker
post #6  on April 4, 2008 - 11:04 AM PDT  
I could use a good horror fix since I missed out on The Orphanage, the last time around :(
underdog
post #7  on April 4, 2008 - 12:48 PM PDT  
> On April 4, 2008 - 11:04 AM PDT troublemaker wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I could use a good horror fix since I missed out on The Orphanage, the last time around :(
> ---------------------------------

Well in less than three weeks you can un-miss The Orphanage this time. ;-)
hamano
post #8  on April 4, 2008 - 6:36 PM PDT  
So is the Orphanage a Shining clone or what? The GC description sure makes it seem so....
EmpressStephanie
post #9  on April 5, 2008 - 11:54 AM PDT  
> On April 4, 2008 - 6:36 PM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> So is the Orphanage a Shining clone or what? The GC description sure makes it seem so....
> ---------------------------------

No I don't think so. I really liked it but then again I always say that then you always say you hated it. : P
troublemaker
post #10  on April 6, 2008 - 2:15 PM PDT  
So anyone go and see this yet?
ScottWeinberg
post #11  on April 13, 2008 - 6:30 PM PDT  
Not if the box office numbers are any indication...

Too bad, too. Anyone see it?
doozer
post #12  on April 15, 2008 - 3:33 PM PDT  
I'm going to see it tonight! I'm excited.
doozer
post #13  on April 16, 2008 - 3:01 AM PDT  
Wow. I did not like it at all. The scariest part of the movie was only scary because it was a bad medical decision.

I didn't really expect it to be crazy scary since the book focuses more on survival and less on horror but I always get my hopes up.

First off, It's vastly different from the book in my opinion which I don't quite understand because save for changing the ending, the differences mostly lie in a complete switch of characters and their experiences. I fail to see how changing this is relevant to the movie adaptation. This thoroughly confuses me because the screenplay and the book were written by the same person and I see no benefit to making any of those changes.

I love movies that leave some things open to interpretation. I think it helps an audience member become more involved in what they're watching. When a film does that, it crosses the line between something that you're watching and something that you're experiencing. However; The Ruins leaves so much open to interpretation that it makes the movie even *less* enjoyable. I'd like to tell you that the book fills in the blanks but it doesn't. The gaping hole in the plot also exists in the novel so I didn't expect anything else from the movie but I'm mentioning it anyway since they were both written by the same person.

Oh well, I saw the trailer for The Strangers. Very chilling to say the least. I can't wait to see that one.
Battie
post #14  on April 16, 2008 - 2:03 PM PDT  
> On April 16, 2008 - 3:01 AM PDT doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Wow. I did not like it at all. The scariest part of the movie was only scary because it was a bad medical decision.
>
> I didn't really expect it to be crazy scary since the book focuses more on survival and less on horror but I always get my hopes up.
>
> First off, It's vastly different from the book in my opinion which I don't quite understand because save for changing the ending, the differences mostly lie in a complete switch of characters and their experiences. I fail to see how changing this is relevant to the movie adaptation. This thoroughly confuses me because the screenplay and the book were written by the same person and I see no benefit to making any of those changes.
>
> I love movies that leave some things open to interpretation. I think it helps an audience member become more involved in what they're watching. When a film does that, it crosses the line between something that you're watching and something that you're experiencing. However; The Ruins leaves so much open to interpretation that it makes the movie even *less* enjoyable. I'd like to tell you that the book fills in the blanks but it doesn't. The gaping hole in the plot also exists in the novel so I didn't expect anything else from the movie but I'm mentioning it anyway since they were both written by the same person.
>
> Oh well, I saw the trailer for The Strangers. Very chilling to say the least. I can't wait to see that one.
> ---------------------------------

Sounds like I'll catch this on DVD. If I'm bored.

The Strangers?

Speaking of book adaptations...I forced a friend of mine to watch The Mist with me (my third go around). At the end, he got really mad at me. XD Said he felt like someone had punched him in the face. I'm still trying to get him to admit he wants to own the flick (I bought the 'special edition' the day it came out), but he keeps claiming that he doesn't know what movie I'm talking about.
doozer
post #15  on April 16, 2008 - 3:51 PM PDT  
> On April 16, 2008 - 2:03 PM PDT Battie wrote:
>
> Sounds like I'll catch this on DVD. If I'm bored.
>
> The Strangers?
>
> Speaking of book adaptations...I forced a friend of mine to watch The Mist with me (my third go around). At the end, he got really mad at me. XD Said he felt like someone had punched him in the face. I'm still trying to get him to admit he wants to own the flick (I bought the 'special edition' the day it came out), but he keeps claiming that he doesn't know what movie I'm talking about.
> ---------------------------------


super creepifying trailer for The Strangers
EmpressStephanie
post #16  on April 16, 2008 - 11:27 PM PDT  
> On April 16, 2008 - 3:51 PM PDT doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On April 16, 2008 - 2:03 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like I'll catch this on DVD. If I'm bored.
> >
> > The Strangers?
> >
> > Speaking of book adaptations...I forced a friend of mine to watch The Mist with me (my third go around). At the end, he got really mad at me. XD Said he felt like someone had punched him in the face. I'm still trying to get him to admit he wants to own the flick (I bought the 'special edition' the day it came out), but he keeps claiming that he doesn't know what movie I'm talking about.
> > ---------------------------------
>
>
> super creepifying trailer for The Strangers
> ---------------------------------

WHOA! That has to be the most awesome trailer for a movie I've ever seen. I'm totally psyched for that now.
doozer
post #17  on April 17, 2008 - 12:21 AM PDT  
> On April 16, 2008 - 11:27 PM PDT EmpressStephanie wrote:
> WHOA! That has to be the most awesome trailer for a movie I've ever seen. I'm totally psyched for that now.
> ---------------------------------


I KNOW!! If I love anything more than visual, it's audio. That trailer definitely gave me a delicious combination of both.
EmpressStephanie
post #18  on April 17, 2008 - 10:49 AM PDT  
> On April 17, 2008 - 12:21 AM PDT doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On April 16, 2008 - 11:27 PM PDT EmpressStephanie wrote:
> > WHOA! That has to be the most awesome trailer for a movie I've ever seen. I'm totally psyched for that now.
> > ---------------------------------
>
>
> I KNOW!! If I love anything more than visual, it's audio. That trailer definitely gave me a delicious combination of both.
> ---------------------------------

It scared me - literally, made me jump at least three times. Awesome.
doozer
post #19  on April 17, 2008 - 11:04 AM PDT  
> On April 17, 2008 - 10:49 AM PDT EmpressStephanie wrote:
> It scared me - literally, made me jump at least three times. Awesome.
> ---------------------------------


The friend I was with told me that it would scare me when it started. I thought he was referring to the cheezy romance (which does frighten me, on another level).
underdog
post #20  on April 17, 2008 - 11:56 AM PDT  
> On April 17, 2008 - 11:04 AM PDT doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On April 17, 2008 - 10:49 AM PDT EmpressStephanie wrote:
> > It scared me - literally, made me jump at least three times. Awesome.
> > ---------------------------------
>
>
> The friend I was with told me that it would scare me when it started. I thought he was referring to the cheezy romance (which does frighten me, on another level).
> ---------------------------------

Definitely looks creepy as hell. Also reminded me a bit of Vacancy, though I'm sure it's different (no torture!), and even more of Them... Looks worth keeping an eye on. Scott, you see that one yet?
page  1  2      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.