GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
In The Theaters
I just saw it and boy does it...
318

Hero
Topic by: IronS
Posted: August 27, 2004 - 9:29 PM PDT
Last Reply: December 8, 2004 - 10:01 AM PST

page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9      prev | next
author topic: Hero
IronS
post #1  on August 27, 2004 - 9:29 PM PDT  
My first reaction is one of relief: it's not dubbed. Whew. It's a beautiful movie with good use of color. However, it's not the martial arts film as depicted in the trailers. Sure there's a plot but the audience knows how the film will end and the highly stylized action sequences are mostly in the flashbacks. Lots of cool wire work shot from different angles. I know I'm not being very descriptive but I don't want to slap a "spoiler" warning on this.

My boyfriend likes this although he would have preferred to have see What the Bleep Do We Know? instead (we arrived at the theater too late for that one). He thinks the ending is a bit too "Asian". I had flashes of orc armies myself. However, I think this film is best appreciated on the big screen and with a good sound system (unless you don't care for violin music by Itzhak Perlman).
Catullus
post #2  on August 28, 2004 - 3:22 AM PDT  
its a good movie, has some very good action sequences in it and the cinematography is well done. I saw the movie sometime last year (it came out in china in 2002) anyway I liked it all the way until the end. But I still like it in spite of the ending which lets face it is just...



*SPOILER WARNING* Chinese government propaganda




Anyway If you like Cool weapon fighting with a little martial arts thrown in on the side then you should watch this movie. I think action/cinematography is better than Crouching Tiger while the story is weaker.

Just my opinion.
ColonelKong
post #3  on August 28, 2004 - 8:15 AM PDT  
I'd love to see Hero on a big screen (I first saw it on DVD about a year ago thanks to GC), but it's yet to come to my town (it probably will in a week or two if Hero does well elsewhere). Even though Hero has yet to arrive in a local theater, something called Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 (That got a 0% rating from Rotten Tomatoes!) is playing here! Even though fans of Asian movies are pretty few and far between out here, I bet that Hero would probably make more money. We seem to be living in a bit of a movie hell at the moment with the theaters filled with crap like Harlin's Excorcist: The Beginning, Superbabies, Anacondas: The Hunt For The Blood Orchid, Alien Vs. Predator, Demme's The Manchurian Candidate, (and also probable crap like Suspect Zero from the talented E. Elias Mehridge) etc., something like Hero getting a wide release is a welcome respite.

In any case, it appears that Miram-Axe got something right for once! I wouldn't expect such treatment of the Asian films Miramax releases to be common in future, Hero is probably being treated with an unusual amount of respect because it's sort of a "prestige" picture and Best Foreign Film nominee. I suppose I do have to also give Miramax a little credit for releasing the untouched HK version of Shaolin Soccer (even though I personally found the film a bit dull), and they did bring Mononoke Hime to the US unmolested (where are our R1 Totoro and Nausicaa discs?).
ColonelKong
post #4  on August 28, 2004 - 8:22 AM PDT  
I just remembered that my town is supposed to get an Alamo Drafthouse sometime next year, so maybe the crappy movie situation here might improve somewhat in the near future. We might get some subtitled movies beyond the typical once-a-year best picture-nominated "prestige" picture from Miramax. (It doesn't seem too likely that they'll be showing The Turkish Wizard of Oz like the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, unfortunately)
ColonelKong
post #5  on August 28, 2004 - 8:23 AM PDT  
Arrgh, I need to exercise my preview button a little more in the future....
Cinenaut
post #6  on August 28, 2004 - 10:04 AM PDT  
Why I love GreenCine reason #42:

I rented Hero last June and it's just coming to U.S. theaters now.
IronS
post #7  on August 28, 2004 - 7:02 PM PDT  
I had a discussion with my boyfriend which cleared up something for him regarding this film. In the interest of others who may have missed it as well, here it is.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Think of the whole film as the lesson the King learns about being the ultimate warrior (not needing the sword) and, as a consequence, a better ruler. He gets it through what Nameless tells him about Broken Sword and, while he has his back turned to Nameless, what he understands about the calligraphy that Broken Sword has done. After he is enlightened, Nameless can't kill him. And because of this lesson, the grateful King gives Nameless a hero's burial.

I don't think of this as Chinese government propaganda simply because this story takes place prior to there being a China.
woozy
post #8  on August 28, 2004 - 7:15 PM PDT  
If I were to say I didn't like it because the story didn't obey the laws of physics would that 'cause as much fuss as I caused when I said I didn't like anime?

:) ;) B-) 8) BP ().)

(et.c. for the humourously immpaired)
IronS
post #9  on August 28, 2004 - 9:03 PM PDT  
You want to discuss the laws of physics? I saw What the Bleep Do We Know? today. Reality, God and quantum physics. Nice to see Marlee Matlin in something though. It does have an anime connection: the voiceover talent includes Kirk Thornton, Michelle Ruff, Lia Sargent, and Steven Jay Blum.
Catullus
post #10  on August 28, 2004 - 10:53 PM PDT  
> On August 28, 2004 - 7:02 PM PDT IronS wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>
> I don't think of this as Chinese government propaganda simply because this story takes place prior to there being a China.
> ---------------------------------

Heres why its subliminal chinese propaganda

MASSIVE SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

They intimate that the "heroic" hero honorably lays down his life because one persons suffering is nothing compared to the good of all (think Tibet, Taiwan) etc etc and that everyone should give in so that one ruler (china) can make things better.

Although besides slaughtering whole villages I don't really see why they would even consider to submit to the emperor, I mean you figure that say the emperor does conquer everything... no more war right? yeah take a gander at chinese history, yeah doesn't look like there were too many periods w/o any war. So basically the principles behind not killing the emperor were wrong. The emperor will go onto killing more people and destroying villages and it will just cause more suffering and war. I think that you can justify anything if you really want to skew things around. Things like sorry I had to kill 50 deer because if I didn't they would eat all the foliage and even more deer would starve to death. Yeah whatever buddy you just wanted to go hunt.

I had to kill your whole village because If I can conquer the rest of china, there will be no more war or suffering (right)

Or my favorite, I had to attack Iraq to protect America, Iraq was obviously planning to invade us and the Iraqi invasion threat was imminent. *rolls eyes*

Yes the movies propaganda is transparent if you look.
IronS
post #11  on August 28, 2004 - 11:50 PM PDT  
> Heres why its subliminal chinese propaganda

See, the difference is that I don't think of it as "Chinese government propaganda" since nowadays "Chinese government" implies communist China. Now, it was militaristic, I grant you that. And being that this was supposed to be part of the history of China, "Chinese". "The good of many outweigh the needs of one" though, is it really propaganda? I mean, it's Star Trek, isn't it? Unless you consider Star Trek to be propaganda as well. And it's not so subliminal either since they did spell it out (literally, in the subtitles).

Historically though, China was unified. Did it lessen the bloodshed that would have happened? Maybe, but it was done. Can't argue that point. I still maintain that the film was a parable. Was the King (then Emperor) a just and good one after that? I don't know for sure; it's been too long since I read any Chinese history.

In terms of historical significance, I'd compare the unification of China to Kamehameha's unification of the Hawaiian Islands (except the Hawaiians had less war and skirmishes afterwards, being islands and all).

> Things like sorry I had to kill 50 deer because if I didn't they would eat all the foliage and even more deer would starve to death. Yeah whatever buddy you just wanted to go hunt.
>

I had a discussion similar to that once. I argued that if all the predators didn't get killed off, the deer wouldn't be deforesting their space and starving to death in the first place.
Catullus
post #12  on August 29, 2004 - 1:53 AM PDT  
> On August 28, 2004 - 11:50 PM PDT IronS wrote:
> --------------------------------->
> I had a discussion similar to that once. I argued that if all the predators didn't get killed off, the deer wouldn't be deforesting their space and starving to death in the first place.
> ---------------------------------

LOL ill have to use that next time I have that arguement with some idiot who likes to kill things (hunter)

very good point.
woozy
post #13  on August 29, 2004 - 10:27 AM PDT  
> > I had a discussion similar to that once. I argued that if all the predators didn't get killed off, the deer wouldn't be deforesting their space and starving to death in the first place.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> LOL ill have to use that next time I have that arguement with some idiot who likes to kill things (hunter)
>
> very good point.
> ---------------------------------

Just to hijack a topic, I'm curious (only curious, I dislike hunting also) what your argument against hunting is and if you have a counter argument for the "I eat what I kill so how's this different than a slaughter-house" argument.

Catullus
post #14  on August 29, 2004 - 4:52 PM PDT  
> On August 29, 2004 - 10:27 AM PDT woozy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Just to hijack a topic, I'm curious (only curious, I dislike hunting also) what your argument against hunting is and if you have a counter argument for the "I eat what I kill so how's this different than a slaughter-house" argument.
> ---------------------------------

Im not a vegetarian but I don't eat very much meat, I don't like to, its actually disgusting to me, but its too much work to be a vegetarian.

As for hunting well Id have no problem with it if it was sporting. I am also anti-guns, and I don't really consider it fair to take on an animal with a rifle and shoot it while its unsuspecting. Bow and Arrows, Spears etc whatever is all good, but I don't know it just seems like using a gun is too easy. I am pretty much okay with I eat what I kill philosophies. Its the I kill animals for fun that disturbs me.

I don't like slaughterhouses either or how some animals are raised in horrible conditions.
woozy
post #15  on August 29, 2004 - 5:33 PM PDT  
Okay, I don't really like hunting and I don't like the hunting culture and with a few notable exceptions my interaction with hunter's were ... well, uninspiring.

But I've thought about my views on how I feel about animals and the issue of animal rights and came to the conclussion that requlated game hunting and raising meat via food standards (which should be stricter) are legitimate activities. My personal tastes are just my personal tastes.
hamano
post #16  on August 29, 2004 - 6:08 PM PDT  
Oh, a hunting thread! Where is SonjaBlue when the conversation is finally turning to an area of her expertise?
Catullus
post #17  on August 29, 2004 - 6:23 PM PDT  
> On August 29, 2004 - 6:08 PM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Oh, a hunting thread! Where is SonjaBlue when the conversation is finally turning to an area of her expertise?
> ---------------------------------

If totoros were real maybe i would be in favor of hunting after all.... rats crossed with bunnies must be exterminated!
woozy
post #18  on August 29, 2004 - 9:17 PM PDT  
Hmm, maybe we should have a mythical icon wrestling match sometime where all of us that don't really exist get in a ring and... well, stare at each other and talk about how the other one should start the rumble. The first time I saw a totorro, I got kind of freaked out because it looked like an inflated balloon but I've gotten used to them over the years.
woozy
post #19  on August 29, 2004 - 9:24 PM PDT  
> You want to discuss the laws of physics? I saw What the Bleep Do We Know? today. Reality, God and quantum physics.


So how come I've never heard of this? It sounds like just my cup of tea (or is it just more intelligent design garbage?).

So how was it? Can you describe it's point in two or three sentences.

psssst, by the way, I don't really hate america, you know. Just wanted to make sure IronS knew that
hamano
post #20  on August 29, 2004 - 10:55 PM PDT  
> On August 29, 2004 - 9:24 PM PDT woozy sorta wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Can you describe its point in two or three sentences?
> ---------------------------------

Bleep! Bleep! Bleep? Bleep!
page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.