GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
In The Theaters
I just saw it and boy does it...
318

The Forgotten
Topic by: jross3
Posted: September 25, 2004 - 8:00 PM PDT
Last Reply: September 30, 2004 - 8:08 PM PDT

author topic: The Forgotten
jross3
post #1  on September 25, 2004 - 8:00 PM PDT  
Decent film, not quite what I expected. I liked how it kept me guessing for a while... but it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped. Still, it had a satysfying end, IMHO. Anyone else gone to see it?
Catullus
post #2  on September 25, 2004 - 8:19 PM PDT  
so would you say its suspenseful? I know if I saw people (from the trailer) being yanked up superfast into the sky that would freak me out.

Anyway it would only be good in my mind if it manages to keep the suspense up through most of the movie, such as nailbiting edge of your seat kind of suspense.
jross3
post #3  on September 25, 2004 - 9:44 PM PDT  
> On September 25, 2004 - 8:19 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> so would you say its suspenseful? I know if I saw people (from the trailer) being yanked up superfast into the sky that would freak me out.
>
> Anyway it would only be good in my mind if it manages to keep the suspense up through most of the movie, such as nailbiting edge of your seat kind of suspense.
> ---------------------------------

It's suspenseful for the first half or so. A little while before the end, you kinda know what's going on, but there's still an element of suspense to it.

********
Spoilers
********

It's not terribly long before the figure out that it's aliens doing the bad things to them (they never say the "a" word, but for now that'll have to do). They also realize that their children must be alive - why erase them if they're dead, right? So they start seeking out their children by looking into the plane crash that supposedly killed them. The president of the fake airline, I think, may have been erased as the kids were (this is entirely based on the picture of the warehouse - an odd picture to take, unless you were standing in front of it, but since nobody was there... although it could be an intentional clue left by the alien guy, but to what end? The way the house was left "not moved out of" kinda supports it, as well, but I lack the motive for his removal, unless he knew something too much).
The remaining suspense is entirely about the mystery of the Alien Conspiracy and the Alien man, which, they think, will lead them to their children. I was suspicious of the shrink guy, but I was still surprised about his ultimate role.
I was a bit impressed by the effect shots. The aliens's regenerating flesh looked really good. It's quite a sight seeing the people snatched into the sky - nothing fancy, they're just suddenly flying and incredible speeds into the wile blue yonder. The way the police lady's line is cut off by that was pretty convincing, as well.


If you're anything like me, and can see the scenes from the trailers as they happen in the movie, you won't be surprised by the "flying roof" scene, although it is pretty good. I mean, the whole cabin is freakin' destroyed! It's got some real visual impact to it.

It's a good movie, cat, but if all you're looking for is suspense, you'll probably be dissappointed. It's probably more aimed at people who have or have had kids or want to have kids. It wants you to experience the emotional torture of the thought that your kids don't really exist to anyone but you, or of losing them and wanting desperately to get them back. That's why I wanna know what the parents of GC think of this one, if they liked it any more (or less) than I did.
hamano
post #4  on September 26, 2004 - 6:02 AM PDT  
A lot of parents will not knowingly go see a film where children are in peril, or are abducted. I did take Mao-chan to see Sky Captain... a fun Dad/Daughter outing. Then we snuck in and caught about 10 minutes of Shaun of the Dead... Mao-chan wanted to stay but it was waaay past dinner time and we had to go home. We saw the scene where the survivors "act" like zombies in order to reach their destination, a pub. That was pretty funny.
Catullus
post #5  on September 26, 2004 - 8:04 AM PDT  
yeah I dont want kids, if i had them id be like yes take my kids hooray... take my wife too plz.

**Note: unmarried and no kids**

I guess I'll wait til it comes out on dvd if its plot is obvious. I wasn't in a hurry to see it anyway, but it did look interesting.

Thanks for the tip
Shaky
post #6  on September 26, 2004 - 11:20 AM PDT  
> On September 26, 2004 - 6:02 AM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I did take Mao-chan to see Sky Captain... a fun Dad/Daughter outing.

Did you complain to theater management about the fuzzy picture?

I was standing at the counter buying tickets to Shaun of the Dead when some guy came up and asked the teenagers working there to check the projector for Sky Captain, because it was all fuzzy and hard to watch. I mentioned to the clerk that it was probably the film, not the projector, and he said, "Yeah, we've gotten a LOT of complaints about that movie."

Stupid digital video. Why? WHY? Were the director and DP BLIND?
hamano
post #7  on September 26, 2004 - 2:39 PM PDT  
> On September 26, 2004 - 11:20 AM PDT Shaky wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Did you complain to theater management about the fuzzy picture?
>
> I was standing at the counter buying tickets to Shaun of the Dead when some guy came up and asked the teenagers working there to check the projector for Sky Captain, because it was all fuzzy and hard to watch. I mentioned to the clerk that it was probably the film, not the projector, and he said, "Yeah, we've gotten a LOT of complaints about that movie."
>
> Stupid digital video. Why? WHY? Were the director and DP BLIND?
> ---------------------------------

I didn't complain because I thought it was soft focus on purpose, but when the final credits rolled I noticed that the picture WAS out of focus slightly, especially around the center... I saw it in an older theater and it was one of the smaller theaters in the multiplex, too. Oh, well. I'll see it again on DVD and I'll check... It wasn't enough to give me a headache, fortunately.

During the film I mused to myself about the soft focus... I should think that native digital video would be pretty crisp, and had the studio gone with the director's original wish to go b&w, I was wondering if he would have made the picture sharp like some fresh b&w prints in the old days would have been. The studios wanted a color picture, so they went with the sepia tone pastels, and probably also made the decision to go with the soft focus also...
Yowanda
post #8  on September 26, 2004 - 5:21 PM PDT  
> On September 26, 2004 - 6:02 AM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> A lot of parents will not knowingly go see a film where children are in peril, or are abducted.

Yeah, I have an 8 month old daughter, and the thought of someone "erasing" her almost makes me sick to my stomach. I don't think I could watch anything with children who aren't happy and playing in it anymore. And now that I've read this thread, I have a better idea of what's happening in this movie, so why waste my money? :) And my local paper ripped it to shreads. Said the ending was horrible.

frannieb
post #9  on September 26, 2004 - 6:21 PM PDT  
> On September 26, 2004 - 6:02 AM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> A lot of parents will not knowingly go see a film where children are in peril, or are abducted. I did take Mao-chan to see Sky Captain... a fun Dad/Daughter outing. Then we snuck in and caught about 10 minutes of Shaun of the Dead... Mao-chan wanted to stay but it was waaay past dinner time and we had to go home. We saw the scene where the survivors "act" like zombies in order to reach their destination, a pub. That was pretty funny.
> ---------------------------------

I just saw it today...

there were a couple of scenes even funnier than that. the more experience you have had with british people (or if you have lived over there) the funnier you'll find it i think--i mean they are kind of like zombies anyway?

it fell apartt in the last third but managed to save itself at the very end. i still liked it overall, mostly because i think that short of a movie miracle, there is no way to pull off what they were trying to do (zombie rom-com) and have it consistantly work.

kohnfused1
post #10  on September 27, 2004 - 2:26 PM PDT  
Is it me, or can anyone else read jross' "spoiler alert"? GC blocked it out, but if you looke closely, you can actually read it. Cool!
artifex
post #11  on September 27, 2004 - 2:36 PM PDT  
> On September 27, 2004 - 2:26 PM PDT kohnfused1 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Is it me, or can anyone else read jross' "spoiler alert"? GC blocked it out, but if you looke closely, you can actually read it. Cool!
> ---------------------------------


I couldn't read it the first time until I highlighted it, but after I removed the highlight, I could still pick out the letters. Are you also using FireFox? :)

I'd like to have a kid or two. In fact, I think it would be cool to adopt. Give someone a second chance.
kohnfused1
post #12  on September 27, 2004 - 2:57 PM PDT  
> On September 27, 2004 - 2:36 PM PDT artifex wrote:
>
> I couldn't read it the first time until I highlighted it, but after I removed the highlight, I could still pick out the letters. Are you also using FireFox? :)
>
> I'd like to have a kid or two. In fact, I think it would be cool to adopt. Give someone a second chance.
> ---------------------------------

Nope, not using anything but microsoft internet explorer.
jross3
post #13  on September 27, 2004 - 3:59 PM PDT  
> On September 27, 2004 - 2:26 PM PDT kohnfused1 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Is it me, or can anyone else read jross' "spoiler alert"? GC blocked it out, but if you looke closely, you can actually read it. Cool!
> ---------------------------------

I am an amazing artist, that's why. The letters are just a few shades lighter than black, so you can read them if you want.
Interestingly, on the LCD monitor here at work, from a certain angle, the blocked out space seems totally black. From a different angle, it's very easy indeed to read it. Fascinating! how does that work, though....
hamano
post #14  on September 27, 2004 - 4:27 PM PDT  
> On September 27, 2004 - 3:59 PM PDT jross3 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > Is it me, or can anyone else read jross' "spoiler alert"? GC blocked it out, but if you looke closely, you can actually read it. Cool!
> I am an amazing artist, that's why. The letters are just a few shades lighter than black, so you can read them if you want.

This effect was originally invented by dpowers.

> On October 31, 2003 - 4:29 PM PST dpowers wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> mr superhero sir - not only has that HTML been a feature of the site for months, it means something - the black on brown is what happens when you hold the candle too close to the screen, trying to read the invisible ink
> ---------------------------------

> On September 22, 2003 - 11:06 AM PDT dpowers wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> the trick
> is holding the candle close
> enough

> to make the words appear without
> burning your screen
hamano
post #15  on September 27, 2004 - 4:30 PM PDT  
Ahem... and I was the one who thought of using the effect for spoilers, back on this thread about twist endings...
IronS
post #16  on September 27, 2004 - 4:57 PM PDT  
> On September 27, 2004 - 4:27 PM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On September 27, 2004 - 3:59 PM PDT jross3 wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > > Is it me, or can anyone else read jross' "spoiler alert"? GC blocked it out, but if you looke closely, you can actually read it. Cool!
> > I am an amazing artist, that's why. The letters are just a few shades lighter than black, so you can read them if you want.
>
> This effect was originally invented by dpowers.
>

Hooray for dpowers!
IronS
post #17  on September 27, 2004 - 4:57 PM PDT  
> On September 27, 2004 - 4:30 PM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Ahem... and I was the one who thought of using the effect for spoilers, back on this thread about twist endings...
> ---------------------------------

Hooray for hamano!
artifex
post #18  on September 27, 2004 - 10:12 PM PDT  
> On September 27, 2004 - 4:30 PM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Ahem... and I was the one who thought of using the effect for spoilers, back on this thread about twist endings...
> ---------------------------------


There goes hamano, hijacking another thread... :)
artifex
post #19  on September 27, 2004 - 10:14 PM PDT  
> Interestingly, on the LCD monitor here at work, from a certain angle, the blocked out space seems totally black. From a different angle, it's very easy indeed to read it.

Ah, that's it. I'm using a panel, also.
JBellows
post #20  on September 30, 2004 - 8:08 PM PDT  
Same here. But my kids end up freezing on me. Turn blue. And then I have to kick them out. Water them occaissionally.

> On September 27, 2004 - 2:57 PM PDT kohnfused1 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On September 27, 2004 - 2:36 PM PDT artifex wrote:
> >
> > I couldn't read it the first time until I highlighted it, but after I removed the highlight, I could still pick out the letters. Are you also using FireFox? :)
> >
> > I'd like to have a kid or two. In fact, I think it would be cool to adopt. Give someone a second chance.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> Nope, not using anything but microsoft internet explorer.
> ---------------------------------

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.