GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
In The Theaters
I just saw it and boy does it...
318

I hate the awards season...
Topic by: goodyerin
Posted: January 14, 2007 - 12:38 PM PST
Last Reply: January 26, 2007 - 4:47 PM PST

author topic: I hate the awards season...
goodyerin
post #1  on January 14, 2007 - 12:38 PM PST  
I have to go to the mall to see Children of Men, Pan's Lab and the Good German while my independently-owned neighborhood moviehouse has been playing the same ham-fisted family and action crap FOR WEEKS.

Studios, why not just make movies that don't suck all year long?
underdog
post #2  on January 15, 2007 - 12:25 PM PST  
No s**t!

And while we're at it, why are the Golden Globes so clueless, particularly this year. In the TV category, they completely ignored the best show on TV, The Wire. Oh well, what do you expect?

As for the movie releasing pattern, well, it's all part of their diabolical plan to release all the "best" movies at the same time and then give us shite the rest of the year. Well, there are good films released in February, but not many from studios. They know what a short attention span academy voters have.
hamano
post #3  on January 16, 2007 - 5:47 AM PST  
So who won what? We were lost in the silliness that is Nodame Cantabile and completely missed the Globes. And the second coming of dpowers.
dpowers
post #4  on January 16, 2007 - 11:03 AM PST  
OnT: it's a long haul through the summer. we had some good films show at the corner moviehouse, though, last year, with guest talks and everything. i agree, the december rush and then the constant debate about who/what was "best" is stale. when more than half the blockbusters are sequels based on other media these days, the show of dramatic originality is more of a show than it used to be. a throwback.

OffT: it might be the fourth. it's certainly the longest. any notable births/deaths in the family?
hamano
post #5  on January 16, 2007 - 11:47 AM PST  
> On January 16, 2007 - 11:03 AM PST dpowers wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> OffT: it might be the fourth. it's certainly the longest. any notable births/deaths in the family?

Oh come on, we all know the last two times you were just faking it.

> any notable births/deaths in the family?

My venerable grandmother, god bless her, was hospitalized for about a week back in December, but she's home now and walking around.
hamano
post #6  on January 23, 2007 - 1:51 PM PST  
Well, here are the Oscar nominees for best film... oh I've lost them already, where did they go?

Anyway, thorough proof of the failure of the much ballyhooed so-called "independent" movement, a cornerstone of GreenCine's raison d'etre. Most of the films are from the artsy divisions of major studios. The only exception is Little Miss Sunshine, a crowd pleaser AND a Sundance-bred independent, but nothing new for those of us who witnessed the vision of America Laurie Anderson and David Byrne and others had a quarter-century ago. The opening montage is so very 1980s!
goodyerin
post #7  on January 23, 2007 - 7:25 PM PST  
Marie Antoinette almost completely shut out? Unreal. Blow me, Academy!




> On January 23, 2007 - 1:51 PM PST hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Well, here are the Oscar nominees for best film... oh I've lost them already, where did they go?
>
> Anyway, thorough proof of the failure of the much ballyhooed so-called "independent" movement, a cornerstone of GreenCine's raison d'etre. Most of the films are from the artsy divisions of major studios. The only exception is Little Miss Sunshine, a crowd pleaser AND a Sundance-bred independent, but nothing new for those of us who witnessed the vision of America Laurie Anderson and David Byrne and others had a quarter-century ago. The opening montage is so very 1980s!
> ---------------------------------

hamano
post #8  on January 23, 2007 - 8:15 PM PST  
> On January 23, 2007 - 7:25 PM PST goodyerin wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Marie Antoinette almost completely shut out? Unreal. Blow me, Academy!

Since the fogies who vote for Oscars have lifetime memberships they skew toward retired producers and people like that who won't "get" a film like Marie Antoinette...
hamano
post #9  on January 24, 2007 - 9:44 AM PST  
The nominees for Best Animated Film are
Disney/Pixar's Cars - John Lasseter
Warner Bros.' Happy Feet - George Miller
Sony/Columbia's Monster House - Gil Kenan

Pleh... does anyone think any of these 3 deserves an Oscar? None of them are much better than the dozens that didn't get nominated. And where is Scanner Darkly? Did it somehow not "qualify" as an animated feature? Get rid of the "Best Animated Feature" category says I. Giving them their own category has eroded the quality of the animated films...
underdog
post #10  on January 25, 2007 - 12:27 PM PST  
> On January 24, 2007 - 9:44 AM PST hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> The nominees for Best Animated Film are
> Disney/Pixar's Cars - John Lasseter
> Warner Bros.' Happy Feet - George Miller
> Sony/Columbia's Monster House - Gil Kenan
>
> Pleh... does anyone think any of these 3 deserves an Oscar? None of them are much better than the dozens that didn't get nominated. And where is Scanner Darkly? Did it somehow not "qualify" as an animated feature? Get rid of the "Best Animated Feature" category says I. Giving them their own category has eroded the quality of the animated films...
> ---------------------------------


I wondered about that, too - is it written somewhere explicitly that animated features have to be suitable for children? It seems it must be an unofficial rule, so Scanner Darkly, a pot smoking black comedy/PDK adaptation, would never get serious consideration in that category. (Or, apparently, in any category.) As for the three noms - Cars, yawn, Happy Feet I didn't see but heard was surprisingly decent, Monster House, heard wildly mixed things about it (including some raves) but didn't see it either.

What should have been on the list instead? (Sep. from Scanner Darkly) No Miyazaki movie this year... Were there any anime features that were released theatrically in the States? The other US studio animated films I can think of were even worse than the three finalists. Doogal? Barnyard? The Wild? I guess Over the Hedge could have been nominated but... yawn. Feh. I agree with you, Scanner Darkly should have been nominated.
artifex
post #11  on January 25, 2007 - 12:33 PM PST  
> On January 24, 2007 - 9:44 AM PST hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> The nominees for Best Animated Film are
> Disney/Pixar's Cars - John Lasseter
> Warner Bros.' Happy Feet - George Miller
> Sony/Columbia's Monster House - Gil Kenan
>
> Pleh... does anyone think any of these 3 deserves an Oscar? None of them are much better than the dozens that didn't get nominated. And where is Scanner Darkly? Did it somehow not "qualify" as an animated feature? Get rid of the "Best Animated Feature" category says I. Giving them their own category has eroded the quality of the animated films...
> ---------------------------------

This is why foreign movies don't get to compete in other categories, right? Because any nominated foreign animated film, (short, even) would probably show up the category this time.
underdog
post #12  on January 25, 2007 - 1:02 PM PST  
> On January 25, 2007 - 12:33 PM PST artifex wrote:
> ---------------------------------

> This is why foreign movies don't get to compete in other categories, right? Because any nominated foreign animated film, (short, even) would probably show up the category this time.
> ---------------------------------

No, foreign films can compete in other categories (in the past few years, they've made good progress in acting, writing and directing category - including this year with Babel and Volver, for instance). Foreign animated films can compete in animation category, too - as with Miyazaki's recent work - but I think have to have rec'd a US release this past year to qualify.
hamano
post #13  on January 25, 2007 - 2:03 PM PST  
> On January 25, 2007 - 12:27 PM PST underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> No Miyazaki movie this year... Were there any anime features that were released theatrically in the States?

There WAS a Miyazaki film this year, but because of some stupid licensing deal it can't be shown in the US until 2008 or something. It was Geddo Senki, based on a couple of Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea novels, and it was directed by Miyazaki Jr. not Sr. It didn't get the greatest reviews, but it was probably 25 times better than Monster House I bet.

The past couple of years have been really poor years for animated features. Everyone is going for quantity, not quality it seems, or maybe the available talent is being spread too thin. They're only putting stuff out that will make a kid happy for an afternoon or two, and not much more than that.

artifex
post #14  on January 25, 2007 - 2:44 PM PST  
> On January 25, 2007 - 1:02 PM PST underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On January 25, 2007 - 12:33 PM PST artifex wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
>
> > This is why foreign movies don't get to compete in other categories, right? Because any nominated foreign animated film, (short, even) would probably show up the category this time.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> No, foreign films can compete in other categories (in the past few years, they've made good progress in acting, writing and directing category - including this year with Babel and Volver, for instance). Foreign animated films can compete in animation category, too - as with Miyazaki's recent work - but I think have to have rec'd a US release this past year to qualify.
> ---------------------------------

Oops :) So how come more aren't nominated in other categories? Assuming they had US releases, of course. Is it a matter of obscurity, or...?
hamano
post #15  on January 25, 2007 - 7:54 PM PST  
So what's the deal with Pan's Labyrinth and Curse of the Golden Flower? Why are they rated R? They look like something kids would like....
underdog
post #16  on January 26, 2007 - 12:13 PM PST  
> On January 25, 2007 - 7:54 PM PST hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> So what's the deal with Pan's Labyrinth and Curse of the Golden Flower? Why are they rated R? They look like something kids would like....
> ---------------------------------


Haven't seen the latter (maybe it's violent?) but Pan's - it's too bad in a way because the story is something that an older girl, or boy, could really connect with. However, there are some scenes of horrific violence and some other disturbing bits. (Not to give too much away but there's one scene where one of the baddies gets his mouth and cheek sliced, making him look like a mutated version of The Joker, an image I couldn't get out of my head for days.) Del Toro is brilliant with imagery but some of that is quite disturbing. I like that kind of stuff, and was impressed by it, but no kid under 12 at least, maybe 16, should go in to this one unless they're incredibly mature and have been warned.

Great movie, though.
underdog
post #17  on January 26, 2007 - 12:16 PM PST  
> On January 25, 2007 - 2:44 PM PST artifex wrote:
> ---------------------------------

>
> Oops :) So how come more aren't nominated in other categories? Assuming they had US releases, of course. Is it a matter of obscurity, or...?
> ---------------------------------

Probably a matter of how much the films have been disseminated and promoted here. Even with US releases, that could constitute having played in NY and LA (although that's where the majority of Oscar voters live), and very little in the way of marketing/promotion behind it. So many Oscar voters may not have had a chance to see the films, especially if they didn't get a screener. Babel, Volver and Pan's all had major pushes behind them, though, with the first one also featuring a huge cast (I mean, it's really hard to consider it a "foreign" film anyway, even if the director and some of the cast is - much of it is in English and Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett are among the cast). But anyway, it really has to do with how much they're pushed.
hamano
post #18  on January 26, 2007 - 1:58 PM PST  
Maybe the unwritten rule is that it has to be a foreign movie which is being distributed in the US by one of the "independent" or "arthouse" divisions of an American studio...
Yowanda
post #19  on January 26, 2007 - 4:47 PM PST  
> On January 25, 2007 - 12:27 PM PST underdog wrote:
> What should have been on the list instead? (Sep. from Scanner Darkly) No Miyazaki movie this year... Were there any anime features that were released theatrically in the States?

Satoshi Kon's Paprika was eligible for nomination. It apparently was shown in like one theatre for one weekend just so it'd be eligible or something like that. I think its supposed to get a wider release this spring.

I just watched A Scanner Darkly this afternoon. I actually enjoyed it, and in fact did briefly wonder why it wasn't nominated to best animated. Maybe its part of that stigma in this country that "animated = for kids".

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.