GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Feedback
Have suggestions, criticism or praise for the GreenCine community? Post them here. Please maintain a sense of decorum here.
1063

Anyone else annoyed by split movies?
Topic by: artifex
Posted: July 16, 2005 - 9:50 PM PDT
Last Reply: April 6, 2010 - 11:38 AM PDT

page  1  2      prev | next
author topic: Anyone else annoyed by split movies?
artifex
post #1  on July 16, 2005 - 9:50 PM PDT  
I can understand splitting a movie from its bonus disc, but what about when films span multiple discs by themselves?
I'm not sure if I want to rent a movie like this, and then have to wait for the end of it. Part 1 is green and part 2 is blue, so I might not get part 2 for some time.
woozy
post #2  on July 16, 2005 - 10:48 PM PDT  
> On July 16, 2005 - 9:50 PM PDT artifex wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I can understand splitting a movie from its bonus disc, but what about when films span multiple discs by themselves?
> I'm not sure if I want to rent a movie like this, and then have to wait for the end of it. Part 1 is green and part 2 is blue, so I might not get part 2 for some time.
> ---------------------------------
I had a similar problem with "Moscow Does not Believe in Tears" which I didn't realize was on two disks. I can't blame Greencine (at least not very much) so much as the dang publishers trying make unnescessary multiple disks for no good reason.

I'd suggest GC make an exception to these type of movies that the two disks be sent as one, except that sounds like whining and it would probably be a great burden to them.

By the way, speaking of bonus disks, when hit movies release those super special platinum four disk editions of "The two towers", say, does anyone ever rent these?

artifex
post #3  on July 16, 2005 - 11:32 PM PDT  
> On July 16, 2005 - 10:48 PM PDT woozy wrote:
> I had a similar problem with "Moscow Does not Believe in Tears" which I didn't realize was on two disks. I can't blame Greencine (at least not very much) so much as the dang publishers trying make unnescessary multiple disks for no good reason.

Well, I think most of these are older discs, before they started making the higher-density discs in quantity. The single-layer format only supports 2 hours at the best quality, so unless they wanted to decrease the quality, they had to use two or more. That's also why we see some titles have two sides, and some are single sided, but on two discs - dual sided came later, plus there's more marketing cachet in selling a 2-disc set than a single disc. Not to mention that single sided discs are cheaper to make and easier to handle. In total, there's SS/SL, DS/SL, and DS(one side SL/one side DL) variations :) Reminds me of CAV/CLV with LDs.

> I'd suggest GC make an exception to these type of movies that the two disks be sent as one, except that sounds like whining and it would probably be a great burden to them.

I never complained about it before, but I noticed tonight that Netflix ships both discs if the movie runs on, on several titles.

> By the way, speaking of bonus disks, when hit movies release those super special platinum four disk editions of "The two towers", say, does anyone ever rent these?

I haven't, yet, I'm hoping to find a friend who bought them, or the public library, and just have a marathon viewing :)
Eoliano
post #4  on July 17, 2005 - 11:35 AM PDT  
> I can understand splitting a movie from its bonus disc, but what about when films span multiple discs by themselves?

I think it's a drag if you have to rent a 2-disc set containing one film like this and this as separate discs. Netflix rents the same title simultaneously, however they do rent bonus material separately, so making an argument for bonus material is a moot point.

> I'd suggest GC make an exception to these type of movies that the two disks be sent as one, except that sounds like whining and it would probably be a great burden to them.

It's not whining, it's a logical idea and someone should have thought of this early on, though it would be nice if this policy were rescinded and GC devised special packaging for single titles that are on two discs.
Yowanda
post #5  on July 17, 2005 - 7:33 PM PDT  
Yeah, that's something that's always made me stay away from the 2 part discs. Bonus material I could care less about, but I'd rather not be left hanging in the middle of a LOTR disc or Godfather II.
reflections
post #6  on July 17, 2005 - 7:57 PM PDT  
> On July 16, 2005 - 9:50 PM PDT artifex wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I can understand splitting a movie from its bonus disc, but what about when films span multiple discs by themselves?
> I'm not sure if I want to rent a movie like this, and then have to wait for the end of it. Part 1 is green and part 2 is blue, so I might not get part 2 for some time.
> ---------------------------------

i always wondered by goodfellas was a split disc.
Eoliano
post #7  on July 17, 2005 - 8:15 PM PDT  
> i always wondered by goodfellas was a split disc.

The new SE of GoodFellas is a 2-disc set but only the special features are on the bonus disc. The old edition was a single disc, albeit, a flipper.
woozy
post #8  on July 18, 2005 - 12:12 AM PDT  
> On July 17, 2005 - 8:15 PM PDT Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > i always wondered by goodfellas was a split disc.
>
> The new SE of GoodFellas is a 2-disc set but only the special features are on the bonus disc. The old edition was a single disc, albeit, a flipper.
> ---------------------------------

The version of Goodfellas I rented from netflix two or so years ago was single side. As was the copy of Moscow does not believe in tears that I rented from them (which had differently translated subtitles and no dubbed tracks).

I didn't realize netflix made an exception for these disks.

I said it sound like whining because it might be a hassle to keep this two-diskers always rubber banded together and always have to get the larger envelopes with higher postage just for these dozen or so titles. Or it might not be. I just don't want to be one of those people who blithely assumes "well, geeeee, GC, why don't you just get tracking for envelopes" or "gosh, just how expensive can it be to open a distribution center over here" or "why don't you just make an exception of these type of movies" when I know nothing about what would be involved."

Anyway, I offer it as a suggestion (if it is feasable) because ... as artifex points out getting half a movie really is a pain. ... t'aint your fault GC, we know, but anything you can do would be a help.

artifex
post #9  on July 18, 2005 - 5:41 AM PDT  
> On July 18, 2005 - 12:12 AM PDT woozy wrote:
> I said it sound like whining because it might be a hassle to keep this two-diskers always rubber banded together and always have to get the larger envelopes with higher postage just for these dozen or so titles. Or it might not be. I

What about watching a part 1 of a movie, then discovering the second disc has been lost? If they're kept together, at least you'd know you had them both, barring shipping damage.
Eoliano
post #10  on July 18, 2005 - 9:32 AM PDT  
> The version of Goodfellas I rented from netflix two or so years ago was single side.

I recently traded in my old edition of GoodFellas and I assure you it was a flipper.

> I didn't realize netflix made an exception for these disks.

> What about watching a part 1 of a movie, then discovering the second disc has been lost? If they're kept together, at least you'd know you had them both, barring shipping damage.

Oops!
woozy
post #11  on July 18, 2005 - 9:49 AM PDT  
> What about watching a part 1 of a movie, then discovering the second disc has been lost? If they're kept together, at least you'd know you had them both, barring shipping damage.
> ---------------------------------


I agree. That's freaking annoying! I'm impressed Netflix ships these types of DVDs together and kudos to them, I say. (Loathe as I am to praise Netflix, credit given where credit is due and all that). I was merely being polite to GreenCine policy and staff whom I admire and empathize and didn't want to come off sounding arrogant in demanding that GC imediately change their inventory to address this when I don't know how difficult (or how simple) this would be.

If it's in the least bit feasible, I'd highly encourage GC to modify this.

> On July 18, 2005 - 9:32 AM PDT Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > The version of Goodfellas I rented from netflix two or so years ago was single side.
>
> I recently traded in my old edition of GoodFellas and I assure you it was a flipper.
>
I don't doubt it. All I'm saying is the disk I got from Netflix wasn't. Likewise the disk I got from Netflix of Moscow does not believe in Tears was completely different DVD edition than the one offered on GC although they both had the same scan cover art (so one had incorrect cover but I didn't care enough to research whom).
Eoliano
post #12  on July 18, 2005 - 10:13 AM PDT  
> > I recently traded in my old edition of GoodFellas and I assure you it was a flipper.

> I don't doubt it. All I'm saying is the disk I got from Netflix wasn't.

And all I'm saying is that the first edition was a flipper... time for a memory check...
woozy
post #13  on July 18, 2005 - 10:51 AM PDT  
> On July 18, 2005 - 10:13 AM PDT Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > > I recently traded in my old edition of GoodFellas and I assure you it was a flipper.
>
> > I don't doubt it. All I'm saying is the disk I got from Netflix wasn't.
>
> And all I'm saying is that the first edition was a flipper... time for a memory check...
> ---------------------------------

Okay. Let's not have a woozy-hamano moment here.

(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099685/dvd)

you wrote:

> The new SE of GoodFellas is a 2-disc set but only the special features are on the bonus disc. The old edition was a single disc, albeit, a flipper.


I interpretted that to mean "the old" and "the SE" to be the only two editions of GoodFellas (and I also jumped to the conclussion that the new SE was just being released rather than a year ago) so I pointed out

> The version of Goodfellas I rented from netflix two or so years ago was single side. As was the copy of Moscow does not believe in tears that I rented from them (which had differently translated subtitles and no dubbed tracks).

My only point was to say that there were other editions out and although I didn't say it explicitely I meant to imply that it'd be better when multiple editions are out to do the single disks non-flipping one.

So anyway, yes, the first edition was a flipper. The new SE is a 2-disk (non-split) set. I don't know what version I rented from netflix but is was probably the 1999 one-sided release.

("Northern Exposure" by the way are "flipper" disks with two episodes on each side. Netflix makes their on one sided copies and rents them as two separate disks so anti-kudos to them. A lot of two sided disks are full screen one side and widescreen the other, or movie one side and wide screen the other.)

IMDB does not have DVD detail for Moscow does not believe in tears. Netflix has an image of the "Special DVD Edition" but I believe this is not the version I recieved as what I recieved only had one language (Russian) and no option to turn off the english subtitles (they were imposed on the image; i'm sorry I don't know the details of how they make DVDs but I'd assume this DVD was transferred from film, or tape, that had the subtitles superimposed), however it *was* the whole movie on one disk. GreenCine has the same image and this is probably what I recieved as disk 1 from GC as the detail seem to be more or less as I remember though. But I have to wonder. With interviews and featurettes on both disks, couldn't they have put the movie in its entirity on one disk and the speatial features on the other?
woozy
post #14  on July 18, 2005 - 10:53 AM PDT  
> .. A lot of two sided disks are full screen one side and widescreen the other, or movie one side and wide screen the other.)
>
arrgh! ..."or movie one side special features the other"
artifex
post #15  on July 18, 2005 - 11:41 AM PDT  
> On July 18, 2005 - 10:51 AM PDT woozy wrote:
> Okay. Let's not have a woozy-hamano moment here.

You're going to have a rabid rabbit moment if you keep implying that the originator of this thread is whiny and arrogant. :)
woozy
post #16  on July 18, 2005 - 12:35 PM PDT  
> You're going to have a rabid rabbit moment if you keep implying that the originator of this thread is whiny and arrogant. :)
> ---------------------------------

You are *anything* but whiny and arrogant. I merely meant *I* didn't want *me* to appear whiny and arrogant.

For the record:

Your complaint about split disks is extremely valid and split disks are annoying. As this is a feedback thread, I ask GC: Is there anything you can do about this? It *is* very annoying.

As a suggestion, I'd like to suggest you do what Netflix apparently does which is to treat these split disks as a single disk and cheap them out together and count it as one rental? I don't know if that is a monkey wrench, and I'm open to other solutions, but what do you, GC, think. Would that be feasible or are there issues I haven't considered.

As another suggestion: A lot of folks on Netflix are annoyed that they have to rent Bonus disk seperately. If you were to consider bonus disks + movie disks as one rental, that would really put above Netflix in a lot of peoples mind. Of course, to do so would have many cost drawbacks but there are many people who would utterly adore you for it.

Now, back to you, artifex. The only reason I mentioned that *i* didn't want to sound whiny and arogant, is that although *I* think my suggestion is a simply and inexpensive and easy one, I don't have the slightest idea what goes on inside GC and for all I know there could be an issue inside that makes it utterly impractical. Okay, maybe my suggestion *isn't* whiny and arrogant but I feel sorry for GC being bombarded with "Quit blaming the post office for turnaround time" and "It can't be *that* expensive to open a distribution center on the east coast[1]. You just don't care about us east coasters, admit it" posts, that I wanted to acknowledge I *don't* know if my suggestion has problems.

[1] This attitude is the one that really gets me. I assume another distribution center must be *incrediably* expensive.
SDChas
post #17  on July 18, 2005 - 12:37 PM PDT  
My whiny and arrogant story. I rented disk one of "Mourning Becomes Electra" from GC. Even tough I knew that the second disk was not available. That is because GC listed disk two as just being the extra stuff. It turns out that GC has a different version of the disks than they listed. So disk two was the second half of the movie. And GC does not have it. ... Rats! :( ... Fortunatly, there is a local independant movie rental place in San Diego with a big selection. I rented the movie from there and was able to see the end of the story. BTW (off topic) at least I finally understand what the title means. Which is the main reason I rented it.
woozy
post #18  on July 18, 2005 - 12:52 PM PDT  
> On July 18, 2005 - 12:37 PM PDT SDChas wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> ... That is because GC listed disk two as just being the extra stuff. It turns out that GC has a different version of the disks than they listed. So disk two was the second half of the movie. And GC does not have it. ... Rats!

Did you write to GC about that? That's the type of error they very much want to know about.
SDChas
post #19  on July 18, 2005 - 1:00 PM PDT  

> Did you write to GC about that? That's the type of error they very much want to know about.
>
Yes. It has been corrected now. Except they never did buy a new copy to have disk 2 available.
Eoliano
post #20  on July 18, 2005 - 7:03 PM PDT  
> The version of Goodfellas I rented from netflix two or so years ago was single side.

I'm not going to argue with you woozy, whatever you say. However, I only recently got rid of my 1997 edition of GoodFellas which was the only existing edition available until this year, and rest assured, it was a flipper. Fyi, the 1998 and 1999 editions listed on IMDb are Region 2 discs.
page  1  2      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.