GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Feedback
Have suggestions, criticism or praise for the GreenCine community? Post them here. Please maintain a sense of decorum here.
1063

catalog problems
Topic by: kaream
Posted: June 19, 2008 - 8:54 PM PDT
Last Reply: July 9, 2009 - 10:18 AM PDT

page  1  2      prev | next
author topic: catalog problems
kaream
post #1  on June 19, 2008 - 8:54 PM PDT  
I just now ran across GC's Sophia Loren Collection (1954) looking for Sunflower in the original Italian rather than an English dub, and notice the movie descriptions taken from AMG could all use a little help.

Disc 1:
Carosello Napoletano (Ettore Giannini 1954)

Disc 2:
Atilla (Pietro Francisci 1954),
and
Madame Sans-Gene (Christian-Jaque 1962)

Disc 3:
I Girasoli [without the comma, please -- The Sunflowers, not 'I, Sunflower' :-)] (Vittorio De Sica 1970)
underdog
post #2  on June 20, 2008 - 11:00 AM PDT  
Other than the comma suggestion, not clear what you're suggesting we change from the AMG synopses there. Can you be more specific? Thanks.
kaream
post #3  on June 20, 2008 - 11:54 AM PDT  
> On June 20, 2008 - 11:00 AM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Other than the comma suggestion, not clear what you're suggesting we change from the AMG synopses there. Can you be more specific? Thanks.
> ---------------------------------

Well, maybe I'm the only one who's interested in knowing the directors and actual dates of the various movies included in the collection, since they're not all from 1954. I personally had been hunting for De Sica, and would never have found this one except entirely by accident.
kaream
post #4  on June 20, 2008 - 1:52 PM PDT  
> On June 20, 2008 - 11:54 AM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On June 20, 2008 - 11:00 AM PDT underdog wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > Other than the comma suggestion, not clear what you're suggesting we change from the AMG synopses there. Can you be more specific? Thanks.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> Well, maybe I'm the only one who's interested in knowing the directors and actual dates of the various movies included in the collection, since they're not all from 1954. I personally had been hunting for De Sica, and would never have found this one except entirely by accident.
> ---------------------------------

Okay, I see the three discs are now listed individually, which I hadn't noticed they previously were. However, they're now mixed up, with all three disc links pointing to the Disc 3 description. Once this is fixed, more specifically, here's what I would do if it were me:

Right now a search for Giannini as director brings up all three discs, and searches for the other directors bring up none, so this also needs to be fixed.

Disc 1: leave essentially as is, once fixed.

Disc 2: manually create new corrected links on the Cast and Director lines, showing both Pietro Francisci and Christian-Jaque as directors, and get rid of Giannini, so these will search properly. Also in the title descriptions beneath, add lines at the beginning of each showing the appropriate director and the date.

Disc 3: do the same as with Disc 2 -- manually create a link for Vittorio De Sica as director, and beneath in the description add a line showing De Sica 1970.

Note I've already linked to all four of IMDb's movie descriptions in my OP, so all the information you'll need is right there at your fingertips.

kaream
post #5  on June 20, 2008 - 2:03 PM PDT  
> On June 20, 2008 - 1:52 PM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Note I've already linked to all four of IMDb's movie descriptions in my OP, so all the information you'll need is right there at your fingertips.
> ---------------------------------

I tend to search for directors rather than cast, but others might be looking for leads. It would be somewhat more of a hassle, but while you're making corrections you might as well delete inappropriate links to cast members for each disc and make new ones for the leads who are actually in the various movies.
kaream
post #6  on June 20, 2008 - 2:07 PM PDT  
For instance, Anthony Quinn in Atilla, Marcello Mastroianni in I Girasoli would be useful.
underdog
post #7  on June 20, 2008 - 2:11 PM PDT  
Try it now. We fixed it as best as the catalog tool allows. As a series, all the connected players (actors and directors) are linked to it as a whole, but also separately now if you search under Vittorio De Sica, for instance. We also tweaked it so the order should be right now (the catalog alphabetizes based on each word, so it had rearranged them out of order before until we changed the titles again). Whew! That's as good as it's gonna get. Thanks for your help!
kaream
post #8  on June 20, 2008 - 2:17 PM PDT  
> On June 20, 2008 - 2:11 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Try it now. We fixed it as best as the catalog tool allows. As a series, all the connected players (actors and directors) are linked to it as a whole, but also separately now if you search under Vittorio De Sica, for instance. We also tweaked it so the order should be right now (the catalog alphabetizes based on each word, so it had rearranged them out of order before until we changed the titles again). Whew! That's as good as it's gonna get. Thanks for your help!
> ---------------------------------

Great! In fact I was trying it again just as we were speaking. Much better, thanks.
underdog
post #9  on June 20, 2008 - 2:26 PM PDT  
Okay, now we just need some people queuing it up!

Ciao.
kaream
post #10  on June 23, 2008 - 7:40 PM PDT  
GreenCine staff should probably correct your entry information for Sade. The disc you sent me was Wellspring, with a runtime of 93 minutes, not Fox Lorber 100 minutes as shown on your webpage. I've already seen the Wellspring, and was trying to figure out whether this edition had been cut from the original 100 minutes as described at IMDb.
weezy
post #11  on June 25, 2008 - 11:28 AM PDT  
> On June 23, 2008 - 7:40 PM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> GreenCine staff should probably correct your entry information for Sade. The disc you sent me was Wellspring, with a runtime of 93 minutes, not Fox Lorber 100 minutes as shown on your webpage. I've already seen the Wellspring, and was trying to figure out whether this edition had been cut from the original 100 minutes as described at IMDb.
> ---------------------------------

Thanks for the catch!
kaream
post #12  on June 27, 2008 - 2:55 PM PDT  
I'm not sure whether this qualifies as a 'catalog problem', but it sure succeeded in confusing me.

Apparently the cover art for the 1934 silent film 'Happiness'by Alexander Medvedkin is for a two-disc set, the two separate discs needing to be requested individually.

The second disc in the set is Chris Marker's 1992 'The Last Bolshevik', about Medvedkin, with the identical cover art.

Perhaps GC should remove Marker's name from the Cast listing at the 'Happiness' entry, since he never appears on that disc? And it seems that a note at both entries explaining the situation might be helpful.
kaream
post #13  on June 27, 2008 - 9:56 PM PDT  
> On June 27, 2008 - 2:55 PM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I'm not sure whether this qualifies as a 'catalog problem', but it sure succeeded in confusing me.
>
> Apparently the cover art for the 1934 silent film 'Happiness'by Alexander Medvedkin is for a two-disc set, the two separate discs needing to be requested individually.
>
> The second disc in the set is Chris Marker's 1992 'The Last Bolshevik', about Medvedkin, with the identical cover art.
>
> Perhaps GC should remove Marker's name from the Cast listing at the 'Happiness' entry, since he never appears on that disc? And it seems that a note at both entries explaining the situation might be helpful.
> ---------------------------------

Or, to clarify: I was under the impression that there was just a single disc, containing both the Medvedkin and Marker's film about him. This is what I think ought to be spelled out in the descriptions, that they are two separate discs that need to be requested individually.
kaream
post #14  on June 29, 2008 - 12:23 PM PDT  
> On June 27, 2008 - 9:56 PM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> This is what I think ought to be spelled out in the descriptions, that they are two separate discs that need to be requested individually.
> ---------------------------------

Thanks for fixing this.
kaream
post #15  on September 9, 2008 - 7:05 PM PDT  
There's a problem with searching for movies directed by Aki Kaurismaki -- Advanced Search on "kaurismaki" as director returns "no results". I suspect this might be because in your listings his name is spelled with a dieresis over the 'a', which of course is hard to render on a standard US keyboard.

But in fact in addition to the upcoming trilogy from Criterion, you do already have both
The Man Without a Past (2002) and
Lights in the Dusk (2006); I have no idea if there might also be any others.

Also, note that in the Criterion trilogy entries as they appear in my queue, his name is misspelled "Kaurismdki", which is unhelpful.
weezy
post #16  on September 10, 2008 - 3:04 PM PDT  
Response take 2!


I edited his name to remove the symbol. Now when you search his name without the symbol, his movies will show up in the search results.


> Also, note that in the Criterion trilogy entries as they appear in my queue, his name is misspelled "Kaurismdki", which is unhelpful.

We fixed the spelling, thanks for the catch!
kaream
post #17  on September 19, 2008 - 11:05 PM PDT  
> On September 18, 2008 - 8:02 PM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
your 2-disc La Roue
> ---------------------------------

Advanced Search by title for "La Roue" brings up the no results message; "Roue" alone does find it though.

Searching for titles using the initial article La does bring up a ton of entries, from La Bamba to La Venganza De Gabino Barrera. You really ought to fix La Roue so Search can find it that way.
Cinenaut
post #18  on May 6, 2009 - 9:26 AM PDT  
I rented this Marisa Tomei movie and I couldn't spot Nicolas Cage anywhere!
underdog
post #19  on May 6, 2009 - 12:15 PM PDT  
> On May 6, 2009 - 9:26 AM PDT Cinenaut wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I rented this Marisa Tomei movie and I couldn't spot Nicolas Cage anywhere!
> ---------------------------------

LOL! Man... I wonder if AMG did that up when the film was in pre-production!

Remember how Nick Cage was originally rumored for the role, even though they wanted Rourke all along? But when they couldn't get funding, they started to consider Cage. Anyway, the rest is history. But apparently AMG still considers him part of the film. ;-) We shall delete.
Cinenaut
post #20  on May 6, 2009 - 1:25 PM PDT  
Okay, that makes sense. Haha! That's pretty funny. Darren must be thanking his lucky starts that didn't happen.

I really enjoyed it, although I thought the climatic scene at the deli counter was a bit over the top. On the whole, Mickey Rourke really does carry the movie well.

> On May 6, 2009 - 12:15 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On May 6, 2009 - 9:26 AM PDT Cinenaut wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > I rented this Marisa Tomei movie and I couldn't spot Nicolas Cage anywhere!
> > ---------------------------------
>
> LOL! Man... I wonder if AMG did that up when the film was in pre-production!
>
> Remember how Nick Cage was originally rumored for the role, even though they wanted Rourke all along? But when they couldn't get funding, they started to consider Cage. Anyway, the rest is history. But apparently AMG still considers him part of the film. ;-) We shall delete.
> ---------------------------------

page  1  2      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.