GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Cult
Those films with a following all their own.
83

THE QUIBBLER: The Thread that Discusses the Truth about Harry Potter (SPOILERS!)
Topic by: hamano
Posted: April 19, 2004 - 11:02 AM PDT
Last Reply: July 31, 2009 - 9:50 PM PDT

page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next
author topic: THE QUIBBLER: The Thread that Discusses the Truth about Harry Potter (SPOILERS!)
Eoliano
post #121  on August 9, 2004 - 7:13 PM PDT  
If you recall, Miranda Richardson gave a very menacing performance in The Crying Game so she might be a good fit for Rita Skeeter, but then what do I know, I haven't done my homework...
Cinenaut
post #122  on August 10, 2004 - 2:20 PM PDT  
Harry and the Potters, a Harry Potter fan band.

Check out The Wrath of Hermione.
IronS
post #123  on December 21, 2004 - 11:25 AM PST  
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will go on sale on July 16, 2005. I wonder who will die this time.
Bowwow
post #124  on December 21, 2004 - 12:45 PM PST  
> On December 21, 2004 - 11:25 AM PST IronS wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will go on sale on July 16, 2005. I wonder who will die this time.
> ---------------------------------


I keep expecting it to be one of the older teachers at Hogwarts.
IronS
post #125  on December 21, 2004 - 1:04 PM PST  
In previous books, a student died and then a grownup so perhaps it's time for a professor to kick the bucket. However, he/she would have to be someone close to Harry.

By the way, on the jkrowling site, did anyone find all 3 items mentioned on the rubbish bin page (click on the gum wrapper on main page and then break the pen on the left)? Anyone answered all the questions on the gift tags under the Christmas tree (click on the ponytail holder on the main page, then click on the door in the mirror to open the door)? I'm too busy right now.
woozy
post #126  on December 21, 2004 - 1:37 PM PST  
> On December 21, 2004 - 1:04 PM PST IronS wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> In previous books, a student died and then a grownup so perhaps it's time for a professor to kick the bucket. However, he/she would have to be someone close to Harry.
>
> By the way, on the jkrowling site, did anyone find all 3 items mentioned on the rubbish bin page (click on the gum wrapper on main page and then break the pen on the left)? Anyone answered all the questions on the gift tags under the Christmas tree (click on the ponytail holder on the main page, then click on the door in the mirror to open the door)? I'm too busy right now.
> ---------------------------------

Gad. Am I going to waste another day at this site again!!! (And am I going to have to put up with hamano calling me a muggle again...)

IronS
post #127  on December 21, 2004 - 2:00 PM PST  
> Gad. Am I going to waste another day at this site again!!!
>

You don't have to, but it'd be nice if you would try your hand at it. :) Besides, you like puzzles, don't you?
IronS
post #128  on December 21, 2004 - 6:25 PM PST  
Oh, forget the gift tags under the Christmas tree. It just reveals a note from J. K. Rowling.

I still don't know what two of the three items are. I recognized the eggshells, but what are the other things?
ChiyoDad
post #129  on December 22, 2004 - 10:15 AM PST  
> On December 21, 2004 - 11:25 AM PST IronS wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will go on sale on July 16, 2005. I wonder who will die this time.
> ---------------------------------


Dunno. But you can bet me and Chiyo-chan will be camped out at Borders on the night of its release.

Hopefully, we'll win another armful of goodies from their trivia game. (MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!)
IronS
post #130  on December 22, 2004 - 1:23 PM PST  
> But you can bet me and Chiyo-chan will be camped out at Borders on the night of its release.
>

Is it a Borders in SF? I used to go to Kepler's Books in Menlo Park but I doubt I'll do that this time so I need another bookstore to go to that night.

> Hopefully, we'll win another armful of goodies from their trivia game. (MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!)
>

I'd cheer you on. :)
MollyGrue
post #131  on January 19, 2005 - 12:20 AM PST  
> On August 10, 2004 - 2:20 PM PDT Cinenaut wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Harry and the Potters, a Harry Potter fan band.
>
> Check out The Wrath of Hermione.
> ---------------------------------


Very funny. I especially love The Wrath of Hermione. :)

Of all the movies of Harry Potter, I felt most let down by POA. I hated the new set, and I wondered during this film if the only thing the studio heads were interested in was "who can we get for this next cameo?". The most horrible thing was I had seen Total Eclipse where David Thewlis plays a slimy poet who leaves his family in pursuit of a love affair with Leo DiCaprio (although, really, who wouldn't ;) ) and everytime I saw him and Dan Radcliff together it was all I could do not to shout out "RUN!!! HE'S ONLY THERE FOR THE ABSINTHE!! SAVE YOURSELF!!!"

I still find it hard to get over that.
IronS
post #132  on July 14, 2005 - 11:24 PM PDT  
Don't forget to attend your local Harry Potter party tomorrow night (7/15)!
IronS
post #133  on July 14, 2005 - 11:26 PM PDT  
This is the one I'll be attending, but I heard Border's and Waldenbooks have parties, too, as well as some of your local booksellers.
woozy
post #134  on July 14, 2005 - 11:48 PM PDT  
> On July 14, 2005 - 11:26 PM PDT IronS wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> This is the one I'll be attending, but I heard Border's and Waldenbooks have parties, too, as well as some of your local booksellers.
> ---------------------------------

Oh, gad! I'm not ready!

jross3
post #135  on July 15, 2005 - 12:28 AM PDT  
> On July 14, 2005 - 11:26 PM PDT IronS wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> This is the one I'll be attending, but I heard Border's and Waldenbooks have parties, too, as well as some of your local booksellers.
> ---------------------------------

ha ha! that sounds great.. and odd. And very, very nerdy. I wish I could go :-)
My local Waldenbooks (though it is very small) will also be having a midnight party. I'm not going, because I.... well, I wouldn't be asleep, so I guess I could go. But I'm not in that much of a hurry to be reading it. It can wait until Saturday - I'm stopping by for my reserved copy on my way through town. I probaly won't be driving so maybe I can read some during the trip.

How long is this one? According to the trend, it should be a mammoth, the sort of book you can kill rats with.
jross3
post #136  on July 15, 2005 - 12:42 AM PDT  
An ironic twist, if you like:

The folks at the Waldenbooks hate Harry Potter. I could scarce believe my ears, so I inquired further, and it seems they have a very good reason!
As you know, there's hype - oh, the hype. Everyone is excited. (I'm more excited about the Tsubasa manga than about mr. Potter, but that's just me)
Naturally, they get a lot of questions. They're tired of answering the same questions over and over, as any one of us would be in their position (I know what it's like....).
But that's not even the worst of it!
Aparently, someone announced on some website that the book was being released a month early - and oh, they got some calls about that. And some folks weren't happy about the news. And nobody likes having angry customers... and really, it's all Harry's fault for being so popular that someone would try to make a prank involving him to get the world in a tizzy and ruining their day.
They're so annoyed just working with Harry that they don't want to read about him. They hate him too much to enjoy the books!

Ironic, isn't it? But I can see where they're coming from. (course, that doesn't necessarily apply to all the employees, just the two or three that were there at the time and in the conversation.) The hate must be something pretty intense, because we weren't even talking about Harry Potter before they brought it up - I was just buying some manga! I guess they needed to vent - and we're good friends (we'd better be friends with all the money I've given them...) so they chose me... ha ha.
They're looking forward to the release, too, because then the nightmare will be over (for a year or two, maybe).
IronS
post #137  on July 15, 2005 - 12:33 PM PDT  
> On July 15, 2005 - 12:28 AM PDT jross3 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> ha ha! that sounds great.. and odd. And very, very nerdy. I wish I could go :-)
>

Nerdy but fun. :P Actually, I only attend the parties; I don't buy the books. I'm on the waiting list at the local library so I'll be able to read the book in a week or so.

> My local Waldenbooks (though it is very small) will also be having a midnight party.
>

As is my local one. As far as I can tell, Borders and Waldenbooks are giving away stuff during the evening. Borders' parties start at 9PM, but my local Waldenbooks' party will start closer to midnight. I'm also hoping to attend the Borders party as well, just as a comparison.

For the folks in Marin County, Book Passage is having a party, too, from 9PM until midnight.

> How long is this one? According to the trend, it should be a mammoth, the sort of book you can kill rats with.
> ---------------------------------

I've heard it's 672 pages. How big are your rats? :)
woozy
post #138  on July 16, 2005 - 3:33 PM PDT  
Well, I got mine. Thanks to my working girl sister I got a 35% discount! Of course, it already had a 30% discount but still...

It's about as thick as the goblet of fire and significantly shorter than order of phoenix.

How was the party last night, IronS?
IronS
post #139  on July 16, 2005 - 10:46 PM PDT  
> On July 16, 2005 - 3:33 PM PDT woozy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Well, I got mine. Thanks to my working girl sister I got a 35% discount! Of course, it already had a 30% discount but still...
>

I went to the library today and got my copy!

> How was the party last night, IronS?
>

I went to Borders first. They had activities (I got a Harry Potter temporary tattoo) and a quiz for the kiddies (so I didn't participate). I did, however, taste the booger flavored Jelly Belly bean. Ewww! My bf, saddled with a bacon flavored one, guessed the flavor correctly and received a "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" pencil as a prize. He wanted, but felt too silly to actually do so, to make paper wizards hats so we left.

Then onto Keplers. There were mobs of kids (and quite a few adults) dressed in Harry Potter-themed outfits. There were singing and lots of activities as well (I had a Golden Snitch painted on my cheek). All in all, it was fun.

Plus, I got to go to the Peninsula Creamery for their most excellent pies and had the best Double Chocolate Cake thus far (even my bf said so) at Cafe Barrone which was next to Keplers.
IronS
post #140  on July 16, 2005 - 10:51 PM PDT  
I read the last chapter of the book.... *sob!*

I know it's kind of cheating to read the last chapter first, but I really wanted to know....
page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.