GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Anime
Discuss all topics related to anime.
561

New Fansubs!
Topic by: Battie
Posted: October 11, 2005 - 5:35 PM PDT
Last Reply: October 14, 2006 - 4:25 AM PDT

page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next
author topic: New Fansubs!
Battie
post #1  on October 11, 2005 - 5:35 PM PDT  
Wooo! New ones! I've seen the Angel Heart promo, but I'm not sure what to think of it. In fact, I'm not even sure what it's really about.

Black Cat...I believe I'll be watching this one. The girls look a wee bit too young, and the "main character" is a guy who looks too feminine...but there seem to be subtle yaoi tones, some good ol' fashioned violence, and...well...BISHIES! WOOO! ;) I saw Black Cat's website...there will be more bishies! Did I mention Gonzo is involved? Not bad animation. :) Verra purty.

Then there's Blood, a series following the movie, I believe. The first episode seems to be out.

Sadly, Speed Grapher is over. :( Hopefully more new anime series will be popping up in the next month or so.
Shaky
post #2  on October 11, 2005 - 7:20 PM PDT  
I picked up Black Cat also. It looks like it might have promise.

I have added Cluster Edge to my download schedule. I'm not quite sure what's going on yet, but there are some cool aircraft designs.

Mai Otome (also being called Mai Z Hime by some of the subbers) is finally out. This show is related in some way to Mai Hime, but it's difficult to tell how. Many of the teenage characters from Mai Hime show up in Mai Otome as adults, but it doesn't seem to be a sequel. I'm not sure it's even set in the same world. There is, however, a similar structure of teenaged girls with special powers battling monsters that appear without warning, this time in the form of mean looking mecha.

I picked up an older one called Kikou Ryouhei Mellowlink. It appears to be a standard revenge story, in which a badass commando named Mellowlink is going around killing military people who pissed him off at some point in the past. It seems to be set in some warlike time and place, or perhaps a post-apocalyptic world. It has mecha, but it doesn't seem to be about the technology. Despite the older animation style, this one was pretty entertaining and might go somewhere interesting.

I just noticed the first episode of Blood+ is out. Unlike most everyone else I know, I actually liked the movie, but the preview for this show makes it seem like it might be even better.

Speaking of vampires, I am also really looking forward to Hellsing Ultimate. I liked the first series, but I thought it fell far short of its potential. This new one is supposed to follow the manga more closely. Unfortunately, from the preview it appears the character design for the police girl isn't as cute. There was something about the cute little police girl turning mean and scary that was appealing.

With the new crop coming out, I hope the subbers will remember that some of us are still watching their ongoing projects. I hate it when they get distracted by the new stuff and let last seasons shows just sit there unsubbed for weeks or months.
hamano
post #3  on October 11, 2005 - 10:19 PM PDT  
Aaarg! These kinds of threads are so hard to resist...

My reviews and ratings for the new season so far...

TOP TIER

ARIA
ARIA is the new Kokoro Library. I'm a fan of both Kokoro Library and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou so this show, based on the first episode, is right up my alley. Also recommended to RWaller, if he's listening... A show with pretty/cute characters, pretty music (Mediterranean mandolin variety), pretty scenery, and nice feelings. Not much action, but a little life-affirming lesson or two for each episode. STAY FAR AWAY if you have low tolerance for cute/pretty shows where nothing much happens. The show takes place in a city called Neo-Venezia which looks just like Venice, Italy. But it's on the terraformed ocean planet Aqua (formerly Mars) which is apparently a tourist destination for people from Manhome (formerly Earth). The coolest thing to be on Aqua is a maiden gondolier, who are called Ondines. ARIA is one such company of Ondines, headed by an alien owner who is (I think) some kind of Martian cat. The story revolves around the aventures of Akari, a spunky pink-haired girl from Manhome who apprentices under Alicia, the Ondine of everyone's dreams. Alicia is a boke big-sister character who seems easy-going and absent-minded (a la Belldandy) but her beauty and skill as an Ondine is known throughout the Solar System.

Blood+ (first episode out on fansub now!)
Very sophisticated action/horror series. It seems to pick up a bit after the Blood OVA. From what I can piece together from Ep. 1, Saya went a bit bonkers during her vampire hunting trip in the middle of the Vietnam War. She must have been put in some kind of suspended animation, then revived just recently and left with a foster family in Okinawa under US clandestine supervision. She's a high school athlete with no memory from before her reawakening (she seems to think she has amnesia) and no hint of her awesome powers. She's a lot less intense and slimmer and prettier than the OVA Saya, too, which is a plus for me. That grouchy fat-lipped Saya from before bugged me no end. The animation is slick but not overdone. The character designs are nice, if not groundbreaking. What I appreciated was the effort they put in to fill out the depth of the situations and characters, like the little gestures and movements that suggested a very subtle yuri thing going on between Saya and her best friend. Oh, and there's a new character who seems to be a sort of half-vamp with a cello case that looks like a coffin. You'll see what his role is at the end of Ep. 1... Very satisfying show in a way quite opposite of ARIA. The nice ED song reminds me of Minmi (the show takes place in Okinawa) but it's not.

Solty Rei
This is for all the boys who like shows with mecha and girls who are really strong. The set up (and urban design) remind me a lot of Heat Guy J, with a wee bit'o Big O thrown in for good measure. But the difference is that the big tough paternal figure is human, while the little girl (with a funky Arjuna hairdo in green) is the powerful robot (android? bionic chic? I'm not exactly sure). The CG for the mecha animation (used for robots that look like Labors from Patlabor) is fairly primitive but not unforgivable. The female police officers wear cool armor suits very reminiscent of Bubblegum Crisis. This is one of GONZO's new shows this season, and I already like it better than Speed Grapher (about the only things I liked about THAT show were the ED themes).

Black Cat (first episode out on fansub now!)
Way cool assassin show with very nice designs. I especially like the Cafe waitress, who reminds me a bit of Fuu from Samurai Champloo. AFleming might like this show, if she's still around to read this. As a boy-cat show, it's not as good so far as Loveless was last season. I have to confess I really liked the ED anime sequence, though.

Shakugan no Shana
This is the promise of something morbid and cute at the same time, hopefully like Elfen Lied. They released a full preview trailer for this show about a month ago, but the first episode proved to be also mostly a teaser for the rest of the show, with a bit of background/set-up to just barely introduce the main characters and story arc. I have no idea if the show will be any good, but based on Ep. 1 Shana gets my vote for this season's coolest character.

MaiZHime or Mai Z Otome or whatever...
So far this is a really funny, clever parody of Mai-Hime from last season. I hope it stays that way. I thought Mai-Hime got really boring halfway through the season so I never finished watching it. Was that a mistake? Anyway, the first episode of this "sequel" rocked, mostly for the moe fan service and comedy.

Playball
This isn't really a new show because I have RAWS up to Episode 10 or so. Two groups have subbed Ep. 01. A baseball cartoon with some really solid sports in it, more "realistic" than Major was even. There are no kids with superhuman powers here, just some high school boys who love the sport. Our hero Takao Taniguchi is a born baseball lover who was an excellent player in middle school before being injured in the final game. He joins his high school's baseball team with no hopes, especially since the rest of the team, including the ones from the senior class, don't seem especially talented. Taniguchi's forefinger on his pitching hand is still stuck straight, and it's practically useless for throwing a baseball. Basically this ragtag team practices really hard, inspired by Taniguchi's dogged persistence and drive, and begins to win games. Taniguchi's greatest talent is watching the opposing team and figuring out their strengths and weaknesses. This show is a nice basic feel-good sports show for boys. It's deceptively addictive, mostly due to good cliffhanger endings.

MIDDLE TIER

IGPX
This is a really dumb shounen mecha show. However, it has a few interesting points... The basic set up is that there is a city that was built for the express purpose for running IGPX races. This is roller derby with big mecha. There are several colorful teams that compete against each other (two teams at a time in three-on-three races around a giant roller-coaster-like circuit). Each mecha has a pilot with a chip on his/her shoulder or a mysterious past or something from the grab bag for anime archetypes. Point 1 - this is a much better use for the toylike CG mecha animation that was used last season on Sousei no Aquarion... only a racing sport is at stake, not the future of all mankind. Point 2 - for some reason the character animation is really interesting and well done... specifically, take a look at the scenes where the girl pilot with the spiky red hair is doing marial arts training. Point 3 - I don't think anyone has ever tried to do anime with big mecha doing roller derby before.

HellGirl (Jigoku Shoujo)
This show would be in the top tier if only it had more depth to the stories... the art is REALLY nice but after episode one I'd have to say the best thing about the show is the ED sequence. The story is pretty much the same as the recent spate of new jhorror live action movies. If you go to a certain website, you can type in the name of your mortal enemy and have him/her punished by HellGirl and her minions. Of course you lose your soul when you die someday, but isn't that a small price to pay for justifiable vengeance? The weakness of the show is probably the structure... every week some baddie is going to have to be punished, without any overall story arc or continuing human characters. Since the "thrills" in this episode were NOT at all scary, I'm afraid the next one or the one after that is already going to be boring. Hellgirl herself seems to have about half of the personality that Vampire Princess Miyu had by the end of her TV series... I was hoping for something that might measure up to the Miyu OVAs but so far this show ain't the one.

Angel Heart
Apparently this is a sequel to City Hunter, but I know very little about City Hunter. I've seen up to Ep. 2 and the comedy bits about the womanizing by the main male character (who is one of the City Hunters, I'm led to believe) are already wearing very thin. There is a strong supernatural element, but it's kinda the "Touched by an Angel" variety of supernatural. This hot 15 year old Chinese orphan girl, who went through Azumi-like training since she was a toddler to become a killing machine for the Taiwanese Mafia, one day feels guilty about killing some little girl's daddy and jumps off a building. Not wanting to waste a valuable asset, the gangsters steal the heart of the victim of a road accident, who happens to be the fiancee of the aforementioned City Hunter playboy. Now this heart belonged to an angel, so when the assassin finally wakes up a year after the transplant operation, she hears a voice urging her not to kill, and a longing for this Japanese guy she's never met before. This doesn't stop her from burning down the Taiwanese gang's headquarters and killing about a hundred gangsters... she makes her escape then goes to Tokyo at the urging of the "good" heart that now pumps her blood. It's pretty maudlin but the animation is nice.

BOTTOM TIER

Cluster Edge
Yes there are nice aircraft mecha designs a la Last Exile. But Shaky, these are yaoi bishie boys who go to some faggy military academy where they wear those silly anime armor breastplates like the one Prince Endymion wore on Sailor Moon! Totally uncool.

Ginban Kaleidoscope
This would be a great show for fans of shoujo comedy... if you liked Ultra Maniacs or Fullmoon wo Sagashite, definitely watch this show. The ghost of a handsome Canadian boy aerobatics pilot possesses the body of a spunky but not-quite Olympics contender Japanese girl figure-skater. She's at first totally against having a boy's ghost living inside her, but you know he's going to help her perfect her quad jumps and maybe find some lovin' with the man of her dreams.

Fighting Beauty Wulong
Badly animated martial arts show for boys who like those video games where buxom girls and muscular guys engage in hand to hand combat. The set up is similar to Yawara (reluctant martial artist high school girl who longs to be just an ordinary teen, with a short grandpa who is 8th, no 9th, I meant 10th level black belt who taught her to be the best fighter in the world) except it's some kind of Kung Fu rather than judo. There's even a young reporter for a sports magazine that is in love with her (for her skills, not her beauty!)... Oh, the dojo is actually a big public bath house....

Capeta
Half-pint Initial D. A 4th Grade boy discovers he is a genius at go-cart racing, and bonds with his dad. Don't bother unless you're the kind of anime fan that will try every single sports anime that comes along.

Animal Yokocho
This is trying really hard to be a cute girls' show on one level, and a smart adult comedy on another. A girl moves into a big new house with her parents (bit'o Spirited Away there) where she could have her own bedroom. However, there is a magic trapdoor in the middle of the floor that leads to Animal Yokocho (Animal Alley) and out pops 3 outrageous and extremely cute talking stuffed animals, a bunny, a bear and a panda. There is some meta-humor in the script for older audiences, but not much funny meta-humor.

Happy Seven
Almost sheer crap. A girl who looks exactly like Sailor Moon is protected by shoujo cartoon versions of the Shichi Fuku Jin, the seven gods of good fortune often shown sailing on a boat. Meanwhile, a bunch of demons is targeting her school for destruction.

KARAS
Very stylish but almost incoherent. I wouldn't say it's utter crap, but so far there is very little appeal, either. I feel very little empathy for any of the main characters. It's very hard to care about what's going on...
Battie
post #4  on October 11, 2005 - 11:05 PM PDT  
> On October 11, 2005 - 10:19 PM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Aaarg! These kinds of threads are so hard to resist...
>

Hamano!!!! Stick around and chat a while! ;)

> My reviews and ratings for the new season so far...
>
> TOP TIER
>
> ARIA
> ARIA is the new Kokoro Library. I'm a fan of both Kokoro Library and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou so this show, based on the first episode, is right up my alley. Also recommended to RWaller, if he's listening... A show with pretty/cute characters, pretty music (Mediterranean mandolin variety), pretty scenery, and nice feelings. Not much action, but a little life-affirming lesson or two for each episode. STAY FAR AWAY if you have low tolerance for cute/pretty shows where nothing much happens. The show takes place in a city called Neo-Venezia which looks just like Venice, Italy. But it's on the terraformed ocean planet Aqua (formerly Mars) which is apparently a tourist destination for people from Manhome (formerly Earth). The coolest thing to be on Aqua is a maiden gondolier, who are called Ondines. ARIA is one such company of Ondines, headed by an alien owner who is (I think) some kind of Martian cat. The story revolves around the aventures of Akari, a spunky pink-haired girl from Manhome who apprentices under Alicia, the Ondine of everyone's dreams. Alicia is a boke big-sister character who seems easy-going and absent-minded (a la Belldandy) but her beauty and skill as an Ondine is known throughout the Solar System.
>

....

> Black Cat (first episode out on fansub now!)
> Way cool assassin show with very nice designs. I especially like the Cafe waitress, who reminds me a bit of Fuu from Samurai Champloo. AFleming might like this show, if she's still around to read this. As a boy-cat show, it's not as good so far as Loveless was last season. I have to confess I really liked the ED anime sequence, though.
>

What, no mention of those yaoi undertones I saw? Mpmh! Reminded me of Nightwalker...

> Shakugan no Shana
> This is the promise of something morbid and cute at the same time, hopefully like Elfen Lied. They released a full preview trailer for this show about a month ago, but the first episode proved to be also mostly a teaser for the rest of the show, with a bit of background/set-up to just barely introduce the main characters and story arc. I have no idea if the show will be any good, but based on Ep. 1 Shana gets my vote for this season's coolest character.
>

Hmm...sounds fun. >:P

> MIDDLE TIER
>
> Angel Heart
> Apparently this is a sequel to City Hunter, but I know very little about City Hunter. I've seen up to Ep. 2 and the comedy bits about the womanizing by the main male character (who is one of the City Hunters, I'm led to believe) are already wearing very thin. There is a strong supernatural element, but it's kinda the "Touched by an Angel" variety of supernatural. This hot 15 year old Chinese orphan girl, who went through Azumi-like training since she was a toddler to become a killing machine for the Taiwanese Mafia, one day feels guilty about killing some little girl's daddy and jumps off a building. Not wanting to waste a valuable asset, the gangsters steal the heart of the victim of a road accident, who happens to be the fiancee of the aforementioned City Hunter playboy. Now this heart belonged to an angel, so when the assassin finally wakes up a year after the transplant operation, she hears a voice urging her not to kill, and a longing for this Japanese guy she's never met before. This doesn't stop her from burning down the Taiwanese gang's headquarters and killing about a hundred gangsters... she makes her escape then goes to Tokyo at the urging of the "good" heart that now pumps her blood. It's pretty maudlin but the animation is nice.
>

Yeah, I was worried it'd be something like that. Mmphm!

> BOTTOM TIER
>
> Cluster Edge
> Yes there are nice aircraft mecha designs a la Last Exile. But Shaky, these are yaoi bishie boys who go to some faggy military academy where they wear those silly anime armor breastplates like the one Prince Endymion wore on Sailor Moon! Totally uncool.
>

Ooohhhh...Tease me some more, why doncha? ;P

> KARAS
> Very stylish but almost incoherent. I wouldn't say it's utter crap, but so far there is very little appeal, either. I feel very little empathy for any of the main characters. It's very hard to care about what's going on...
>

I thought this was last season's fansub? And where are all the fansubs for ANY of these? Or is it just raws so far?

I suspect ADV (?) scared off anyone from subbing Karas. *sniffle* But I believe you on the incoherence thing.

Honestly, I'm tempted to learn Japanese just so I don't have to wait for fansubs. :| And I swore I'd never even CONSIDER that. Like Trinity Blood...it SEEMS to've stalled out at 17, but l33t-raws posted 20 or 21 at Tokyo Toshokan...I just feel confused. :|
hamano
post #5  on October 12, 2005 - 1:27 AM PDT  
> On October 11, 2005 - 11:05 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Hamano!!!! Stick around and chat a while! ;)

Hey, Bats. I don't know how long I'll "appear" here... there are still some unpleasant folk around. Not you of course. And Shaky is OK in my book! Where's DBooher? RWaller? AFleming? All my old war buddies? I haven't seen NLee around for a while either...
^_^

> > Black Cat (first episode out on fansub now!)

> What, no mention of those yaoi undertones I saw? Mpmh! Reminded me of Nightwalker...

It's quite hardcore shounen to depict crazy villains as sorta gay. In Nightwalker it was the big baddie Vampire villain. In Black Cat it's the weirdo in white who killed the boomerang guy for scratching our hero's cheek. I won't give a show any real Yaoi cred unless the good guys are sorta gay, too (like in Loveless, or the Descendants of Darkness series.

> > Shakugan no Shana
> Hmm...sounds fun. >:P

Oh yeah, this is deliciously fun, when the characters stop talking and start fighting. Depending on how Ep. 2 and 3 go, this show could sink into the middle or bottom tier fast...

> > Cluster Edge
> Ooohhhh...Tease me some more, why doncha? ;P

Isn't the first episode out on fansub yet? There wasn't much exciting or funny about it... for me a show has to have one or the other or both, OR have style in spades! The dogfights and stuff was pretty cool though.

> > KARAS
> I thought this was last season's fansub? And where are all the fansubs for ANY of these? Or is it just raws so far?

It'll probably take a week or two for the fansubbers to screen the new batch of shows and lay claim to the shows they think are cool. I don't know how long Karas has been out, but I've only seen the 2 episodes so far. It's an OVA series, I think, so the 6 episodes will be spaced a couple of months apart.

> Honestly, I'm tempted to learn Japanese just so I don't have to wait for fansubs. :| And I swore I'd never even CONSIDER that.

You wouldn't be the only one... shakey and dbooher are learning Japanese. jross3 is taking a pretty good stab at it on his own. AFleming even thought about living in Japan.

> Like Trinity Blood...it SEEMS to've stalled out at 17, but l33t-raws posted 20 or 21 at Tokyo Toshokan...

Yeah, I have up to Ep. 21 in RAWS. The show has its ups and downs, but overall I've enjoyed it. Wait 'til you find out what the Empress REALLY looks like! It looks like Shinsen will keep subbing it.... they do a lot of shows so maybe it'll take a while. They're probably looking at the new shows right now, like I am. It's kinda weird how a popular shows will get 3 or 4 fansub groups behind it, competing to get their version out the fastest after broadcast in Japan. I wait for Lunar for my Bleach subs but they're usually the 3rd or 4th to come out (usually within a week of broadcast, though) and I wait for DB-LE to put out Tsubasa Chronicle... they're usually 2nd or 3rd, but sometimes 1st. It seems like a waste of energy to me, especially since the same groups have really excellent shows on the backburner... I'm still waiting for the rest of Mahoushoujo Tai Arusu.

I'm up so late because I was downloading the latest episode of HellGirl and I wanted to see it before going beddy bye. Again, a very beautiful and stylish story, same format. This time the punishment was pretty boring, not nearly cruel enough to punish the bastard who was stalking this young girl. But I'm inclined to forgive the producers because they showed the computer that HellGirl uses to receive the web messages from desperate, vengeful humans. It was an original 1984 vintage Macintosh! That was great! HellGirl prefers a nice GUI in a classic chassis...
Catullus
post #6  on October 12, 2005 - 1:47 AM PDT  
wow hamano is back!!! welcome back.

As for shakys comment about fansubs that were currently being subbed being put on the backburner that is sadly inevitable.
hamano
post #7  on October 12, 2005 - 1:55 AM PDT  
> On October 12, 2005 - 1:47 AM PDT Catullus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> wow hamano is back!!! welcome back.

Thanks Cat! You've been lurking around, too, eh?

> As for shakys comment about fansubs that were currently being subbed being put on the backburner that is sadly inevitable.

What shows do YOU want to see released faster? Yawara 43 finally came out last week.... there's like a 120 episodes of that show, I think. No more Pandalians! Kboy says, "Boo hoo!"
^_^
NLee
post #8  on October 12, 2005 - 6:05 AM PDT  
Holy smoke! So Battie finally found H-sensei's hot button.
(Either that, or somebody is unemployed again.)
markhl
post #9  on October 12, 2005 - 8:06 AM PDT  
> On October 12, 2005 - 6:05 AM PDT NLee wrote:
> H-sensei's hot button

heh. Not sure why but I found that very amusing.

So Senor Zorro, any new fatalistic anime out there for moi? Or at least something Guuey?
Battie
post #10  on October 12, 2005 - 10:37 AM PDT  
> On October 12, 2005 - 1:27 AM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On October 11, 2005 - 11:05 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > Hamano!!!! Stick around and chat a while! ;)
>
> Hey, Bats. I don't know how long I'll "appear" here... there are still some unpleasant folk around. Not you of course. And Shaky is OK in my book! Where's DBooher? RWaller? AFleming? All my old war buddies? I haven't seen NLee around for a while either...
> ^_^
>

Come now! You've missed meeting shiori!

> > > Black Cat (first episode out on fansub now!)
> It's quite hardcore shounen to depict crazy villains as sorta gay. In Nightwalker it was the big baddie Vampire villain. In Black Cat it's the weirdo in white who killed the boomerang guy for scratching our hero's cheek. I won't give a show any real Yaoi cred unless the good guys are sorta gay, too (like in Loveless, or the Descendants of Darkness series.
>

Hmm...interesting. At least I know the yaoi tone wasn't my uh..fevered imagination. ;)

> > > Shakugan no Shana
> > Hmm...sounds fun. >:P
>
> Oh yeah, this is deliciously fun, when the characters stop talking and start fighting. Depending on how Ep. 2 and 3 go, this show could sink into the middle or bottom tier fast...
>

Just found the Prologue on Toshokan.

> Isn't the first episode out on fansub yet? There wasn't much exciting or funny about it... for me a show has to have one or the other or both, OR have style in spades! The dogfights and stuff was pretty cool though.
>

Cluster Edge just came out. I found it. >:P

> It'll probably take a week or two for the fansubbers to screen the new batch of shows and lay claim to the shows they think are cool. I don't know how long Karas has been out, but I've only seen the 2 episodes so far. It's an OVA series, I think, so the 6 episodes will be spaced a couple of months apart.
>

I've seen one episode. :( Where's the other?

> You wouldn't be the only one... shakey and dbooher are learning Japanese. jross3 is taking a pretty good stab at it on his own. AFleming even thought about living in Japan.
>

LoL! I refuse! I don't want to be a HARDCORE anime fan! *sob*

> Yeah, I have up to Ep. 21 in RAWS. The show has its ups and downs, but overall I've enjoyed it. Wait 'til you find out what the Empress REALLY looks like! It looks like Shinsen will keep subbing it.... they do a lot of shows so maybe it'll take a while. They're probably looking at the new shows right now, like I am. It's kinda weird how a popular shows will get 3 or 4 fansub groups behind it, competing to get their version out the fastest after broadcast in Japan. I wait for Lunar for my Bleach subs but they're usually the 3rd or 4th to come out (usually within a week of broadcast, though) and I wait for DB-LE to put out Tsubasa Chronicle... they're usually 2nd or 3rd, but sometimes 1st. It seems like a waste of energy to me, especially since the same groups have really excellent shows on the backburner... I'm still waiting for the rest of Mahoushoujo Tai Arusu.
>

But how far into TB are the fansubs? I haven't seen a new one in quite a while.

Yeah, I wonder why several do them, too...but generally speaking, I just download whatever's out first. >:P

> I'm up so late because I was downloading the latest episode of HellGirl and I wanted to see it before going beddy bye. Again, a very beautiful and stylish story, same format. This time the punishment was pretty boring, not nearly cruel enough to punish the bastard who was stalking this young girl. But I'm inclined to forgive the producers because they showed the computer that HellGirl uses to receive the web messages from desperate, vengeful humans. It was an original 1984 vintage Macintosh! That was great! HellGirl prefers a nice GUI in a classic chassis...
> ---------------------------------

So is Hellgirl out on fansub yet?
Battie
post #11  on October 12, 2005 - 10:44 AM PDT  
> On October 12, 2005 - 6:05 AM PDT NLee wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Holy smoke! So Battie finally found H-sensei's hot button.
> (Either that, or somebody is unemployed again.)
> ---------------------------------

Well hello, NLee! Nice to see you again. >:P Seen any good hentai lately?
EmpressStephanie
post #12  on October 12, 2005 - 1:43 PM PDT  
I'm looking forward to Paradise Kiss which is supposed to be coming out this month.

*dies*
Shaky
post #13  on October 12, 2005 - 1:50 PM PDT  
I forgot that I had the first episode of Animal Yokocho on my other hard drive (I ran out of space on my regular drive when I downloaded the second season of Gokusen live action). I got a kick out of it. I certainly wouldn't place it in the bottom tier, based on the one episode I've seen so far.

Something about its sense of humor reminds me a little of Damekko Doubutsu, but not quite as good judging from the first episode. Other folks may not see it. But I think it's going to be a fun show that won't require a lot of thought.

And speaking of Damekko Doubutsu, that's one I wish the subbers would get caught up on, as well as Zipang, Play Ball, Trava and Yawara. And Eureka 7 is finally starting to get interesting, yet the subbers are taking their sweet time and are like 12 episodes behind. I'm slowly learning Japanese, but I'm still nowhere near being able to watch without crutches.
Shaky
post #14  on October 12, 2005 - 1:52 PM PDT  
> On October 12, 2005 - 1:43 PM PDT EmpressStephanie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I'm looking forward to Paradise Kiss which is supposed to be coming out this month.
> ---------------------------------

Despite the fact that I find the character designs ugly, I'm looking forward to this one also. It sounds rather interesting from a story standpoint.
ahogue
post #15  on October 12, 2005 - 1:55 PM PDT  
> On October 12, 2005 - 1:27 AM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On October 11, 2005 - 11:05 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > Hamano!!!! Stick around and chat a while! ;)
> ---------------------------------

Yeah, welcome back Hamano!

It's funny, I've just watched a few disks of Excel Saga, and now it's hard to read these lists without giggling a litte. Each show description reminds me of another episode.

It boggles my mind to think how many anime references I'm missing every second of that show, but I get enough of them somehow.

hamano
post #16  on October 12, 2005 - 2:47 PM PDT  
Heh, zdrastvoyty, droogs! Y'all coming out of the woodwork... it's very cute.

> On October 12, 2005 - 1:50 PM PDT Shaky wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Something about its sense of humor reminds me a little of Damekko Doubutsu, but not quite as good judging from the first episode. Other folks may not see it. But I think it's going to be a fun show that won't require a lot of thought.

markhl might be interested that Animal Yokocho seems to be primarily a Korean production with a Japanese shell. I saw all the Korean names in the credits so I watched very carefully through the first episode, and I found no Japan-specific graphic or cultural references in the entire show... they play baseball in Korea, right? At the local Lotte Plaza they sell a lot of stationery etc. with Korean versions of cute animals and characters a la Hello Kitty. This might be the anime equivalent.

For now I put it in the bottom tier because I don't see how they can sustain the energy level over more than two or three episodes (both in terms of performance and creativity). If the girl and the stuffed animals turn into secret agents or assassins I'll eat my hat. But judging from the first episode, what else can they possibly do? Also, in terms of jokes that would go over the heads of younger viewers aimed at teens and adults, I didn't thing the gags were half as clever as they need to be. I'd much rather spend a day hanging out with the girls in Ichigo Mashimaro for that. My tier levels represent how much I'm looking forward to future episodes, and in that regard Animal Yokocho scores pretty low. I'll probably still download it for my kids, and we shall see if they can sustain/improve the show's appeal...
Eoliano
post #17  on October 12, 2005 - 3:43 PM PDT  
Didn't I read somewhere that someone was working on a Hamano fansub? Hey, what's a fansub anyway--some kinda sandwich?
pooja
post #18  on October 12, 2005 - 4:15 PM PDT  
Oh, Uncle, what is this place you've led me to? What are they talking about? I need my housemate...
woozy
post #19  on October 12, 2005 - 4:44 PM PDT  
> On October 12, 2005 - 4:15 PM PDT pooja wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Oh, Uncle, what is this place you've led me to? What are they talking about? I need my housemate...
> ---------------------------------

You follow your Uncle Eo the same way I follow you? Fair 'nuff, I guess. Not sure Eo'll be able to answer you though. Better ask your housemates.

Eoliano
post #20  on October 12, 2005 - 5:17 PM PDT  
> Oh, Uncle, what is this place you've led me to? What are they talking about? I need my housemate...

Not to worry pooja, I know what a fansub is and I know that you do too, though I doubt there is much need for Bollywood fansubs, d'accordo cara? So unless you're into hard-to-find anime titles, then there is no point in hanging around here. Anyway, I just peeked in to say hello to someone who hasn't been around for a while.

Okay, that's it kiddies. Uncle Eo is outta here.
page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.