GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
GreenCine Article Discussion
A place for you to post comments on our articles.
74

Zombie primer: Braaaiiinns...
Topic by: underdog
Posted: October 17, 2005 - 1:20 PM PDT
Last Reply: November 6, 2005 - 11:04 PM PST

page  1  2  3  4  5      prev | next
author topic: Zombie primer: Braaaiiinns...
underdog
post #21  on October 18, 2005 - 11:14 AM PDT  
Hm. I just thought maybe because he's a zombie, his back falls off at some point. Hah hah. That would be brilliant. Not really.

Thanks.

C

woozy
post #22  on October 18, 2005 - 11:50 AM PDT  
> On October 18, 2005 - 11:14 AM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Hm. I just thought maybe because he's a zombie, his back falls off at some point. Hah hah. That would be brilliant. Not really.
>
Yes, that would be a pun and it'd have been funny but ... no never happens. His penis falls off (predictably) but that turns out to be an ...hmm, in cinematic terms what do you call a sequence that is what a character is imagining and it doesn't really happen; It's not a "dream sequence" because the character isn't dreaming and it's not a "fantasy sequence" because its too short; well whatever ... it turns out to be one of those. Little pieces fall off but nothing important and I think he reattaches his nose at one point.
kohnfused1
post #23  on October 18, 2005 - 1:43 PM PDT  
> On October 18, 2005 - 11:50 AM PDT woozy wrote:
> ---------------------------------

> >
> Yes, that would be a pun and it'd have been funny but ... no never happens. His penis falls off (predictably) but that turns out to be an ...hmm, in cinematic terms what do you call a sequence that is what a character is imagining and it doesn't really happen; It's not a "dream sequence" because the character isn't dreaming and it's not a "fantasy sequence" because its too short; well whatever ... it turns out to be one of those. Little pieces fall off but nothing important and I think he reattaches his nose at one point.
> ---------------------------------

Have I stumbled upon the "Bobbit" thread?
DLeonard
post #24  on October 18, 2005 - 3:01 PM PDT  
hmmmm, the original RomComZom perhaps:
I Was a Teenage Zombie

On a slightly related subject, I noticed that the George Romero interview has links for the movies Season of the Witch and There's Always Vanilla but the links take you to IMDB.

A DVD has been released of these two offbeat features, why no listing here at GreenCine?
underdog
post #25  on October 18, 2005 - 4:46 PM PDT  
> On October 18, 2005 - 3:01 PM PDT DLeonard wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>
> A DVD has been released of these two offbeat features, why no listing here at GreenCine?
>



It wasn't in our catalog, but it is now - as a request title. I've changed those links. Thanks for the reminder! By the way, that's unfortunately an *abysmal* disc/transfer, just FYI.
pooja
post #26  on October 18, 2005 - 4:57 PM PDT  
Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy

The Unattainable is Unknown
ShonenBat
post #27  on October 19, 2005 - 7:32 PM PDT  
Junk was crap. Versus was a bit more fun and entertaining. I can't remember if the Japanese have ever done a mass zombie apocalypse movie but in a land without lots of guns it would be interesting.
Battie
post #28  on October 19, 2005 - 11:45 PM PDT  
I have issues so bad...Haven't even chimed into this thread. :( Haven't checked e-mail in like...a week. >_> This, of course, after dropped a big err...mess...on top of a number of people. *pulls on devil horns* Anywho...

Wasn't C.H.U.D. also another zombie horror-comedy?

Let's see...Shaun of the Dead was okay, but not exactly something I'd call a classic zombie flick. It was a movie for the people who were too...young...to know about the zombie movies in the 80s and before. (I'd be too young, too, but...) I want to see Undead so bad I could just scream. >:P

Return of the Living Dead...*sigh* I will always hold up the gooey brown zombie as the epitome of zombies. :)

28 Days Later ruled because of the social emphasis.

Night of the Comet kinda ruled. >:P In a weird way. It was such an 80s movie though. :)

The real question is...Did zombies come from the idea of vampires or Frankenstein? ;P
woozy
post #29  on October 20, 2005 - 12:56 AM PDT  

> The real question is...Did zombies come from the idea of vampires or Frankenstein? ;P
> ---------------------------------

Zombies came from Haitain witchcraft. Basically a voodoo curse could put one in a trance of living death where one had no will or life of one one and one merely lived to serve the voodoo witch.

Some researchers believe zombie myths arose, as pooja postulated, from victims of exotic illnesses that basically parallized and brain damaged folks into shuffling brain dead automatons.

At least that's where the term "zombie" is from. I'm sure every folklore has legend of living corpses of varying form (which traditional zombies aren't) and movie makers after making early zombie movies that were sort of (anti)ghost stories, hit on making them into gory corpses.

Cinenaut
post #30  on October 20, 2005 - 8:37 AM PDT  
The book The Serpent and the Rainbow (and the subsequent Wes Craven movie), speculate that "zombies" were people under the influence of powerful toxins that could induce a death-like state. The book was written by an ethnobiologist named Wade Davis. I don't know if his work still stands or if it has been discounted over the years.
pooja
post #31  on October 20, 2005 - 10:11 AM PDT  
I was just speculating from the "hunger for braaaaaains" aspect...
woozy
post #32  on October 20, 2005 - 10:35 AM PDT  
> On October 20, 2005 - 10:11 AM PDT pooja wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I was just speculating from the "hunger for braaaaaains" aspect...
> ---------------------------------

Does the primary answer the question what was the first movie (if any) that made the "braaaaaains" cliche.

It's an interesting speculation but isn't kuru relatively rare?

pooja
post #33  on October 20, 2005 - 10:56 AM PDT  
> On October 20, 2005 - 10:35 AM PDT woozy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> answer the question what was the first movie (if any) that made the "braaaaaains" cliche.

That would be the hilarious zombie comedy Return of the Living Dead.

> It's an interesting speculation but isn't kuru relatively rare?

None of the prion diseases could really be called common, except maybe scrapies in sheep, right? Kuru is pretty obscure, but so are actual documented cases of zombies...
pooja
post #34  on October 20, 2005 - 10:59 AM PDT  
Oh, the primer has a whole paragraph on Return of the Living Dead!

Wikipedia Zombie Article
Eoliano
post #35  on October 20, 2005 - 11:31 AM PDT  
(Arriving late to the party, Eo splatters some brains and quicky exits...)

In her primer, Liz Cole mentions Jacques Tourneur's zombie-less chiller, I Walked with a Zombie (the only zombie being in its title), makes me to wonder if she has ever seen that film. Meanwhile, Carnival of Souls (its zombies an obvious inspiration on the young George Romero), is entirely overlooked and constitutes a serious omission in my not-so-humble opinion.

"Kill the brain, and you kill the ghoul."
pooja
post #36  on October 20, 2005 - 11:42 AM PDT  
> On October 20, 2005 - 11:31 AM PDT Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> (Arriving late to the party, Eo splatters some brains and quicky exits...)

Eo Uncle, at least give us a recipe for cervella di vitello before you go!
Eoliano
post #37  on October 20, 2005 - 12:23 PM PDT  
> Eo Uncle, at least give us a recipe for cervella di vitello before you go!

Come questo?

Ma prefirisco guastelle (panu cą meusa). Aumaum!!!
woozy
post #38  on October 20, 2005 - 1:21 PM PDT  
> In her primer, Liz Cole mentions Jacques Tourneur's zombie-less chiller, I Walked with a Zombie (the only zombie being in its title), makes me to wonder if she has ever seen that film.

I did see that in a 24-hour marathon as a freshman in college. Although there was no zombie, there was fear that there might be and in the end wasn't it a human with lack of desire and compassion who might as well have been a zombie for his lack of "life". I believe that went back to the Voodoo idea of a zombie.
Eoliano
post #39  on October 20, 2005 - 3:19 PM PDT  
If it's more brain bashing (or brainy trivia) you want then that's just fine with me.

> Although there was no zombie, there was fear that there might be and in the end wasn't it a human with lack of desire and compassion who might as well have been a zombie for his lack of "life". I believe that went back to the Voodoo idea of a zombie.

According to my reliable sources, Val Lewton loathed the title that was imposed on him by the RKO execs, and furthermore, I don't recall the word zombie being uttered by a living soul in the film. I Walked With a Zombie is an updated version of Jane Eyre reset in the Caribbean, hence the dark revelations at the end of the movie. And the so-called zombie of the title is (as you might otherwise have guessed) a woman.

Anticipating your next comment, a voodoo doll walking on fire doesn't count any more than someone wandering around in a trance-like state.

Anyhow, getting back to how the zombies in Carnival of Souls influenced George Romero...

The zombies were having fun
The party having just begun
They did the mash
They did the monster mash
woozy
post #40  on October 20, 2005 - 5:41 PM PDT  
woozy: > > Although there was no zombie, ...

> Anticipating your next comment, a voodoo doll walking on fire doesn't count any more than someone wandering around in a trance-like state.
>

I have no such comment in mind. I saw the movie 24 and a half years ago and 3:30 in the morning after "Bedtime for Bonzo", the first half of "Cocaine Fiends" (I think the organizers lost the second half), some horrible Avalon/Funicelli flick (maybe "return to mussel beach") I walked out on to look at the moon with my girlfriend, a really cool film noire film that I unfortunately fell asleep during (which my girlfriend thought was pointless as she didn't like film noire), some bizaar stock footage of surfing. So I wasn't in the best frame of mind for lasting memories. I forgot that the "zombie" was a woman and I thought their was some sound track of "Yes, I walked with a zombie; not a voodoo curse, but a person who..." or some such tripe. Anyhow, I really don't remember the movie well so you I don't doubt anything you've said. Wasn't there some creepy afro-carribean with blank eyes, that we were supposed to think (perhaps after the title has been foisted upon us) was a zombie?

I don't remember it being a *bad* movie. Maybe I'll rent it.
page  1  2  3  4  5      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.