GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Tech Talk
Hardware, Software, Tech.
The nuts and bolts of movie making, home theater, and DVD.
76

Linux
Topic by: Battie
Posted: July 21, 2007 - 11:50 AM PDT
Last Reply: December 4, 2007 - 7:19 PM PST

page  1  2  3  4  5      prev | next
author topic: Linux
doozer
post #81  on October 19, 2007 - 5:00 PM PDT  
> On October 18, 2007 - 1:48 AM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> She lost her mommy rights over that. She now has supervised >visitation only.




Are you going to change mommy's name to Britney? HA! *slaps knee* aren't I a clever and original one??
Battie
post #82  on October 20, 2007 - 3:00 AM PDT  
> On October 19, 2007 - 5:00 PM PDT doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Are you going to change mommy's name to Britney? HA! *slaps knee* aren't I a clever and original one??
> ---------------------------------

HA! That is a good idea. Cat officially has a new name: Spears.
Battie
post #83  on November 30, 2007 - 10:48 PM PST  
So now that I actually have a job (*faint*), I'm looking at computer parts again.

AMD's quad-core is getting bad reviews and it's $250. So no dice. Think I'll try to buy the 5200+ on Newegg while there's a free memory stick included. Can't go wrong with free stuff!

But back to what I'm really posting for...Video cards. Again. Do pixel pipelines matter? If so, what's adequate and what's good?

What about "3D API"? OpenGL or DirectX? Crossfire support?

I imagine the core clock matters. What's an adequate and what's a good speed? Memory clock?

What is RAMDAC?

And what's this 'stream processors' thing?

Any manufacturers I must absolutely avoid?

And explain the whole 6000 vs. 8000 nVidia thing? What do the numbers represent? GT/GS?

If I'm willing to spend $175 max (preferably $100-$150), which card would you recommend in that range over all others for what I need/might eventually need. I'll take quality over lasting use (ie, keeping up with tech), since I'll have to upgrade eventually anyway. I know you linked a few, but that was nearly two months ago (so I'd assume there was some slight price drop, possibly a new card released, whatever). And might you tell me what power supply I should aim for? The EVGA link says a minimum of 350-400W. I think I have a 450 or 500 watt in this computer (it was on sale, yay).


Now for a monitor...Besides response time, what should I desire in a new LCD monitor?


Hard drives: are the SATA 3GB/s hard drives worth the extra money?


Anyway, I'm not a huge PC gamer. Except for strategy games. If it's any other kind of game, I tend to go for console. I recently had a debate with myself over which next-gen console to buy next year and the PS3 won. Not surprising given that I've never been a big fan of the Xbox-only games.

I figure 5200+ dual-core AMD (2.7ghz per chip), eventually 2-3 gigs of RAM and a moderately expensive nVidia card so I won't have to upgrade it for 2-4 years. The processor should be able to handle tech advances for at least two, maybe three years, right? I'm running off a 2.7ghz processor right now, but I admit I can see it slowing down. My cable company recently upgraded the lines to 10mbit/s...it makes surfing kind of weird since my computer seems to scream, "Noooo! Too much info! *death rattle*" Though...it's probably the RAM screaming now that I think about it. :P I'll run the Sys Monitor later to see which is hollering. (The processor screams with some video, but that might be Linux related.) But anyway...I don't want to wait for a decent quad-core, but should I?
hamano
post #84  on November 30, 2007 - 11:06 PM PST  
> On November 30, 2007 - 10:48 PM PST Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Anyway, I'm not a huge PC gamer. Except for strategy games. If it's any other kind of game, I tend to go for console.

So just go and buy a new iMac. It'll last you for years and you can run windoze and linux on it too, if you want.
Battie
post #85  on December 1, 2007 - 12:01 AM PST  
> On November 30, 2007 - 11:06 PM PST hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> So just go and buy a new iMac. It'll last you for years and you can run windoze and linux on it too, if you want.
> ---------------------------------

*hiss* I refuse to learn yet another OS! I'm putting my hoof, er, foot down.


I take it GT is worse than GS? (nvidia cards)
Catullus
post #86  on December 1, 2007 - 1:43 AM PST  
> On November 30, 2007 - 11:06 PM PST hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On November 30, 2007 - 10:48 PM PST Battie wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > Anyway, I'm not a huge PC gamer. Except for strategy games. If it's any other kind of game, I tend to go for console.
>
> So just go and buy a new iMac. It'll last you for years and you can run windoze and linux on it too, if you want.
> ---------------------------------

Have you checked out galactic civilizations II for pc?

any GS < GT < GTX for nvidia cards
Catullus
post #87  on December 1, 2007 - 2:01 AM PST  
> On November 30, 2007 - 10:48 PM PST Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> So now that I actually have a job (*faint*), I'm looking at computer parts again.
>
> AMD's quad-core is getting bad reviews and it's $250. So no dice. Think I'll try to buy the 5200+ on Newegg while there's a free memory stick included. Can't go wrong with free stuff!
>
> But back to what I'm really posting for...Video cards. Again. Do pixel pipelines matter? If so, what's adequate and what's good?
>
> What about "3D API"? OpenGL or DirectX? Crossfire support?
>
> I imagine the core clock matters. What's an adequate and what's a good speed? Memory clock?
>
> What is RAMDAC?
>
> And what's this 'stream processors' thing?
>
> Any manufacturers I must absolutely avoid?
>
> And explain the whole 6000 vs. 8000 nVidia thing? What do the numbers represent? GT/GS?
>
> If I'm willing to spend $175 max (preferably $100-$150), which card would you recommend in that range over all others for what I need/might eventually need. I'll take quality over lasting use (ie, keeping up with tech), since I'll have to upgrade eventually anyway. I know you linked a few, but that was nearly two months ago (so I'd assume there was some slight price drop, possibly a new card released, whatever). And might you tell me what power supply I should aim for? The EVGA link says a minimum of 350-400W. I think I have a 450 or 500 watt in this computer (it was on sale, yay).
>
>
> Now for a monitor...Besides response time, what should I desire in a new LCD monitor?
>
>
> Hard drives: are the SATA 3GB/s hard drives worth the extra money?
>
>
> Anyway, I'm not a huge PC gamer. Except for strategy games. If it's any other kind of game, I tend to go for console. I recently had a debate with myself over which next-gen console to buy next year and the PS3 won. Not surprising given that I've never been a big fan of the Xbox-only games.
>
> I figure 5200+ dual-core AMD (2.7ghz per chip), eventually 2-3 gigs of RAM and a moderately expensive nVidia card so I won't have to upgrade it for 2-4 years. The processor should be able to handle tech advances for at least two, maybe three years, right? I'm running off a 2.7ghz processor right now, but I admit I can see it slowing down. My cable company recently upgraded the lines to 10mbit/s...it makes surfing kind of weird since my computer seems to scream, "Noooo! Too much info! *death rattle*" Though...it's probably the RAM screaming now that I think about it. :P I'll run the Sys Monitor later to see which is hollering. (The processor screams with some video, but that might be Linux related.) But anyway...I don't want to wait for a decent quad-core, but should I?
> ---------------------------------

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229
thats the card you should get in that price range

The best price performance card right now is an 8800GT but they are out of your range at nearly 300$

as far as nvidia 6000 series its old as **** and they dont really make them anymore so its crap technology now. as for a monitor just get one that is in your budget and widescreen

Id get a 20INCH widescreen monitor if i was on a budget usually acer has good monitors for a good price, also Benq monitors are good. Really depends again on your budget something with a good res. As long as you dont get to generic with them all the specs are very similar although some manufacturers are overpriced with their monitors IE samsung

Then there is the issue of Sata hard drives, they are way way better than ide hard drives, they aren't even much more expensive you can get a nice 500GB samsung drive for about 100$ Thats really no question imo as IDE is really a dead tech that is not quite as obsolete as a floppy but there is no reason to build a new computer with one whatsoever unless you want to reuse an old ide drive you already have.

I have 2GB of ram in my pc and it works fine, I really like GSKILL ram as a company you should check them out because they have great performance for the price.

Lastly not much has changed on the videocard segment only one real release since i posted last and thats the version of the 8800 which is the GT model which is out of the range you listed by quite a bit. So Id go with an 8600GT it will play your games easily and even almost all of the new ones wlll be playable.

The only one I can think of you may have trouble with is Crysis but that thing requires a monster card. U shouldn't have a problem whatsoever with an 8600GT the games wont be playable on high but you should get decent performance on medium and good performance on low ssettings

You are getting a bit too technical with the ramdac and all that other stuff. I think it stands for random access memory digital analog converter and thats just off the top of my head, its been a good 5 years since I studied that :P
Catullus
post #88  on December 4, 2007 - 7:19 PM PST  
oh and if i may suggest if you are going to be buying anything from newegg sign up for their newsletter, they send them out about 1-2 times a week with deals in them you can save like 5-10 bucks on each part.
page  1  2  3  4  5      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.