GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Feedback
Have suggestions, criticism or praise for the GreenCine community? Post them here. Please maintain a sense of decorum here.
1063

Turnaround times getting unbearable
Topic by: gnohymmij
Posted: July 30, 2007 - 11:46 AM PDT
Last Reply: November 6, 2007 - 1:37 PM PST

page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next
author topic: Turnaround times getting unbearable
woozy
post #141  on September 3, 2007 - 5:00 PM PDT  
> On September 3, 2007 - 1:43 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> ...You guys do know that civility is still in fashion, right?
>
> Or did it go out last year? *wonders when capri pants will finally go out of fashion*
> ---------------------------------

Um, I'm being civil. I haven't called Cat any names have I?

Cat's not being very rude. I just think he is unfairly lumping FG (and maybe me as well) into a catagory of "complainers" which he's dismissing as completely and totally useless. (Which most of them are.)

It's a fine line between "GC: love it or leave it" (where Catalus is heading) and "GC: it's better to light a candle than curse the darkness" (where Catalus is). Likewise it's a fine line between "If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem" (where FG and I are) and "Whine and GIMME! I'm entitled" (where FG and I are heading if we aren't careful). Fair 'nuff, Cat?



> On September 3, 2007 - 1:52 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
>
> Now let me ask you a question... how much is reasonable to expect to pay per disc renting from Greencine?
>
Mmmm, not really sure. GC and Netflix are about the same to me except GC is "good" and NF is "evil" so I'd be willing to pay about 150% on "good" GC than I would on "evil" NF for the same but if GC were higher I wouldn't. Although I'd never do BlockBuster. (Which in my and only my opinion really *is* evil while Netflix is, in my opinion neutral/anonymous-good, whereas GC is personable-good.) I figure my local store is $3.50 a disk and that is too much and the selection is too small (now that I'm am used to being able to see *everything*) I want to pay about $2.00 to $3.00 for a disk but subscribing and having a huge catalog (this applies to both Netflix and GC) puts pressure on me to want to watch more than I normally would. I want to watch about four movies a week and I want to have a large selection at a time so I'm on a 5-out plan with NetFlix for $40. That's about $2 a disk although it's probably higher as I don't go through them quickly (get a lot of series disks: Firefly! Just as good the second time: which I keep for days and I kept "Black Snake Moan" and "Inland Empire" forever) I use GC mostly for my backlog of booby-flix (which have really gotten very boring and beneath me lately) and Bolliwood (which I may be getting out of). The problem I was having with GC before the mailing issue was the unreliability (pretty random) of the queue.

My viewpoint of the mail is that a 2-4 day process time (return and recieve) is pretty basic and to be expected. 2 would be good and 4 on average would be just fair. As such, I never really did get why so many of GC's members were outside the bay area. Not that I resented them; I just couldn't see that it was worth it to them. More distributions centers is a good thing but unfortunately it makes life suckier for me. It probably isn't worth it, for me, to stay. Of course, this doesn't mean one should expect the impossible. If you live in Prodhue Bay Alaska, your turnover will be eons compared to living in LA.

> On September 3, 2007 - 2:05 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> "You seem to be suggesting that growth is bad for a business."
>
> no what he is suggesting and that you are not getting is that if the business grows and its losing money, its just going to lose money at a faster rate.
>
> Growth in that case is bad for the business.
>
I think you are making assumptions about the GC business model which may not be correct.

If GC was losing money on the SF members and making money on those outside because of turnaround. Then no, they shouldn't (for their sake), grow more centers to make things faster. The should throttle to make things slower.

I think we can rule this out because, well, because GC obviously decided to grow and make things overall faster. (Except, fuck a duck, for the Bay Area. *sigh*) Also making things faster is cheaper in terms of mailroom monkeys and postage (not an insignificant proportion of operating cost) it is no more cheaper or expensive in terms of inventory and fluidity. Also, 2-4 is the standard set by the evil red. Now maybe GC is just chock full of folks who don't care but nobody likes slow service. To what extent GC members care about speed we can only guess but ... well, *I* care about speed and I imagine most people must, I mean, that's what I'd assume. But I can't know.

GC *is* intending to grow so they must have (we assume) done the math to see this was a good idea.


> And at a disc per day is completely unreasonable, no way GC wasn't losing money on that. Yes its true unlimited rentals and they certainly held up their bargain, but because they changed shipping sites they are not obligated to keep up that rate that you previously had, you still have unlimited rentals and you have no evidence that they are not still providing you unlimited rentals.
>
A disc per day is reasonable if you are willing to pay for it. As is a disk a month. Time was always calculated into ones cost. A disk a day was doable on the 4-out plan in SF, but required the 8-out plan in Maine. With the nearest center to SF in Van Nuys, a 4-out plan has turned from a disc a day to a 10 discs a month plan. Well, okay, that's an existential fact. To get a disc a day, we need the 8-out.




> Here are a few facts that im certain of
> 1) GC was almost certainly losing money on your business FG if you were receiving one disc per day on a 3 out or 4 out plan.

I'm not sure if FG said he was on "a disk a day" on the 3 or 4 out. If he did I think he meant about 21-22 disks a month (don't count weekends). I don't think GC was losing money on this until the latest postage hikes. (When cost went from 60 cents one way to 97 cents one way) In fact I think this "disk a day" was the basis of costs. It was the standard the evil Red had and still sets. GC did seem to spend more on postage than evil Red (with the heavy protectors) but they seemed to have factored than in.


> 2) GC had unhappy Customers in the other parts of the country due to shipping speeds

They certainly did. But I don't think GC was purposely making money off of them.

> 3) GC moved shipping locations to increase distro to the rest of the USA

Yes, which means GC *wants* faster turnaround times. This supports the "disk a day" as standard and they want it for the east coast folks. (And no-one is saying the east coast folk don't deserve it) Whether "a disk a day" is standard, I *know* "a disk a week" is not.

> 4) Obviously discs wont get to the bay area as fast as before since its not shipping from the bay area so TOUGH TITTY BATMAN

Well, tough titties hurt!
well, okay GC has to ask a bunch of questions. What's should be their standard time? Shall they really on remote folks with standard time to "subsidize" the fast folk? Is their standard time competitive with evil Red? Can they actually offer their standard time; if not immediately can they grow into it? If they can't offer the stadard time how can they stay attractive and competitive?

No-ones saying we want to go to Wal-Mart. But it'd be naive for Mom and Pop to simply dismiss a Wal-Mart opening next door. When someone states "Comercial darwinism is going to have Wal-Mart take all your clients" they aren't saying the Wal-mart is *better* than Mom and Pop or *deserve* the clients. They are cynically pointing out the obvious and stating Mom and Pop will have to do something to be attractive against Wal-Mart.

Sadly GC just made themselves *less* attractive to Bay Area folks. Maybe it was a regretable nescessity but there's a bunch of us here left holding these tough titties.

> 5) Obviously there are going to be kinks to worked out of a system after such a huge change

Yes. But if it's inevitable that for some folks GC will always be uneconomical compared to Netflix (and if the nearest dist. center to SF remains Van Nuys GC always *will* un unecon compared to evil Red to Bay area; if GC only has a fraction of the dist centers NF has GC will always be uneconomical to a large portion of the US) then maybe they should compete in other ways.

> 6) You are still getting unlimited rentals thus nothing in what GC is obligated to provide you has changed

No, but the unlimitted rentals have either tripled in price or shrunk 2/3 in volume depending on which we you look at it.


> 7) You are not pleased because you are not getting a disc per day even though no one is obligated to send you 1 disc per day, you are getting unlimited rentals as you were before.

But "disk per day" is the standard we grew to expect, the standard in L.A. *probably* the standard of GC's business plan, and the standard evil Red offers to us and nearly everyone else.

> 8) You claim to like GC and not want them to fail but all im hearing is selfishness and wanting to be the fat guy at the buffet that the restaurant loses money on.
> ---------------------------------

If a buffet is planned right, the fat guy does not lose money. The fat guy is not "greedy" for being told the buffet is "all he can eat" and for expecting it to be "all he can eat". Yes, guys who eat just a bread roll will make the diner oodles, but eating just oodles doesn't make the rollers more virtuous. Having seconds and pie and three plates of shrimp is not being a "fat guy". If the buffet doesn't want "fat guys" they should be upfront rather then kicking folks out after the second helping. At least throttling (10 minute break between plates required; no plate more than a pound at a time) is honest.

Also you are claiming the guy who eats one salad and an entry and foregoes desert is the guy the buffet was modeled for when in actuality is was much closer to the "fat guy" who had seconds.

In setting up a buffet (DVD service) one assumes food (postage) is not the only cost or even a significant cost. Usually table-space (inventory) and overhead(waitstaff and registers and rent) are more determinate.

Suppose the buffet is $15 for "all you can eat". Suppose the place has 100 seats and rent is $500 a night (for simplicity let's assume only a person per seat all night) then the seats are $5 each. Supose the waitpeople and registers are $200 for the night. Suppose the food the $1/lb and the average person can eat two lbs. Suppose 10% eat half a lb. 15% eat one lb. 50% eat 2 lbs. 15% eat 3 lbs. and 9% eat 4 lbs. and 1% 8 lbs. Suppose 80 show up.

Then each persons "cost" is $5 for the seat, $200/80 = $2.50 for the overhead. This leaves $7.50. So the buffet makes $7 bucks on a person who eat's half a lb. $5.50 on the person who eats two pounds. $3.50 on the person who eats 4 lbs. and loses .50 on the fat slob who eats 8 lbs. No-one is "spoiling it" for the rest of the people by being a "fat guy".

To really get numbers: Profit = Revenue - Cost.

Revenue = 80*15 = $1,200.
Cost = $500 + $200 + Food = $700 + Food

Profit = $1,200 - $700 - Food
= $500 - Food

Food = (10% * 80 * .5) + (15% * 80 * 1) + (50%*80*2) + (15%*80*3)+(9%*80*4)+(1%*80*8) =
80(.05 + .15 + 1 + .45 + .36 + .08) =
80*(2.09) = 167.20

So profit is $500 - 167.20 = $332.80.

Not sure how to translate to DVD: Let's assume postage per disk *was* 2* $.97= $1.94 (ouch) and processing cost is $.06 so cost per disk is $2.00
Asume lucky-ducky fat-guy FGaipa (Oh, I get it! FGaipa = FG = Fat Guy) Has three day turnaround (0=mailed. 1=recieved & watched. 2=returned. 3=0=recieved and next sent). Assume a year has 6*52 - 12 hol. = 300 work days. This is 100 turnaround times. This is 100*$2 = $200 per n-out per disk per year.

n-out |month rate |year|process | Overhead + profit|
1 |9.95 | 111.40 | 200 | -88.60 (loss!!!)
8 |49.95 | 599.40| 1600 | -1000.40

Ow!!

But back when I started postage was $.47 that be $87 per n-out, so 1-out was $26 overhead + prof and 8-out was a 40 loss. (But no-one can keep that up on 8-out).

Now with new envelopes if postage is $.39 that's $81 per n-out.
Catullus
post #142  on September 3, 2007 - 5:37 PM PDT  
I think we will just have to agree to disagree woozy and others.

Im going to think of you guys when certain resources become scarce and you guys have to get used to doing without something that really matters. If you are having this much trouble dealing with temp delayed shipping times and cant accept the fact that you can either suspend your service, wait it out or move on, It should be quite hilarious when something that you have no options with takes place. Gasoline should become scarce in your lifetimes, that will be fun and you wont even get three options with that.

Lets hope clean drinkable water never becomes scarce because boy oh boy that would be lots of fun. You might even start to wonder how slowed delivery times from a dvd service move ever seemed like a BFD at all if that happened. I mean really if you have trouble getting used to not getting 1 a day dvd rentals anymore, have fun getting used to that LMFAO.

Sometimes I wish darwins law (adapt or die) had a greater impact on todays society... because this is ridiculous...
woozy
post #143  on September 3, 2007 - 6:29 PM PDT  
> On September 3, 2007 - 5:37 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>
> Im going to think of you guys when certain resources become scarce and you guys have to get used to doing without something that really matters.

Point well taken!

I think you and I are both in agreement that: existential facts exist and we have each individually make our descissions accordingly.

We may or may not agree that: Whether an existential fact is "fair", "a big deal", "unfair", etc. is each person subjective interpretation.

We might even agree but might not that: depending on the circumstances sometimes the only two reasonable actions are to accept the existential facts, or leave. Other times reacting or attempting to modify the facts are resonable actions.

We disagree upon whether the slowing down of turnaround time is a big deal. You think it isn't. I think it is.

We disagree as to whether we are entitled to our old existential facts: You think we aren't. I think we aren't but we are justified to go, quietly, elsewhere if we are unhappy which we are entitled to be. Several of the posters think we are entitled to demand them. You and I disagree. You call them RTRDS. I call the bitchers.


> Sometimes I wish darwins law (adapt or die) had a greater impact on todays society... because this is ridiculous...
> ---------------------------------

I agree. But I have patience for people like FG who are faced with an unpleasant choice about adapting and is trying very hard to figure out just what exactly are the perameters. Okay, it's not an earth-shattering as deciding whether to get in the ark and leave all you know behind but...

And I have patience for rationalists like artifex and existential realists like you.

I *don't* have patience for bitchers. And I *don't* have patience for "love it or leave it" jingoists. The trouble is there's a fine line between being an realist and being a "love it or leave it" jingoists. (The fine line is *precisely* when options have be explored and those are the only two left; like it or lump it.) There's a fine line between being a problem-solving rationalist and being a bitcher. (Again the fine line is the same.)

We have, I think I agree with you, crossed that line over a month ago.

Catullus
post #144  on September 3, 2007 - 10:04 PM PDT  
yes we can definitely agree we crossed that line and I agree with you that you are allowed to have your own rationalizations. Im not promoting love it or leave it so much as im saying these are your options now stfu about it :P

I can perfectly understand that people are upset about long turn around times, not sure the true extent of the problem there but I also think people need to have realistic expectations which is clearly not happening.

Either the shipping times will get better or they will stay the same as they are now. Im not preaching blind faith because I think thats faith of the worst kind. Has this really been a situation that calls for so much angst? Whether it gets fixed or not I cant tell you and no real light has been shed about what exactly is causing delays and if its even something GC can do anything about or not to fix.

I definitely can see where people can be upset to a point. But that point becomes irrelevant when they just demand ridiculous things. Turnaround time is not going to be 1 day to the bay area or back and I have no patience for ridiculous demands which is where I really think we are at.

Things change, the rate which bay area people will get dvds have changed, people need to deal with it, you are not required compensation for this change just as east coast users were never compensated for getting less dvds than west coast users... users here have options, its been over a month and this thread still goes on... Clue Train COO COO CACHOOO!
woozy
post #145  on September 3, 2007 - 11:07 PM PDT  
> On September 3, 2007 - 10:04 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
... Clue Train COO COO CACHOOO!
> ---------------------------------

Chuga-chuga-chuga c'mon Battie! Join us! Chuga-chuga-chuga....
FGaipa
post #146  on September 3, 2007 - 11:15 PM PDT  
> On September 3, 2007 - 1:24 PM PDT woozy wrote:

> I don't think FGaipa is a bitcher though and he's been very helpful in the past about the postal service (and he's a library student and all librarians are super-cool by definition). FGaipa, a poster from far back, obviously loves GC and is very loathe to join the evil red empire and I sense someone who is honestly upset that what used to be a good service and a very reasonable alternative to the evil red empire has suddenly become a very poor service. I feel when suddenly faced with a service failure, he prefers to believe it is a temporary glitch or a result of an intrusive existential change. He'd rather do everything he can to help them get over this than to lift his skirts and say "oooooh, wal-mart, er, netflix" I think all his posts are of a struggling GC fan trying to work something out and somehow unravel so GC can return to the reasonable service he used to expect rather than the rather poor service it has become. ...
>
> Well, I think that's what FGaipa is afraid of. They'll sink. And he doesn't want them to because he loves them.

Thank you.

Actually I haven't been a library student since graduating 2005: since then just a hard luck job seeker and increasingly reluctant USPS hanger-oner.

(Recently I ran the crux of our problem past the highest Oakland managers to whom I have access. Where is this return trip mail those extra three to five days? None will even credit the possibility of first class mail taking on regular basis more than two days to Van Nuys. "You know as well as we do Frank. 4am every night every stick of it's outta here on that truck seven hours to Van Nuys." What they see is what I see. I get off at 1130pm but if I walked the plant at 5am I'd find zero Van Nuys mail. Still I, you, and the rest of us our mail is somewhere other than GC's Van Nuys plant. My managers aren't lying or in denial. They honestly don't have a clue.)

fg

FGaipa
post #147  on September 4, 2007 - 10:47 AM PDT  
Question to Woozy. If I recall, were you the one on an eight-out? If so and if you still are, did even that get you 31 or more in August? Even with my ability to mail returns 24/7 in our employee mailbox, I have no confidence that an eight-out would double my 13. Please, no whole screen-long schematics. A few words will do.

My thinking in splitting my money between GC and another has been that no current level of GC membership will give me the old GC four-out did, a new disk to watch every night after work and one each for my off days.

fg

FGaipa
post #148  on September 4, 2007 - 11:04 AM PDT  
Question to anyone, but please, please, please restrain the hyperbole. I'm asking while wishing GC the best.

I easily get the issues against Blockbuster (censorship), or Walmart (among many other things labor relations). Other than bigness, a throttling scandal, a clashes with green color scheme, a plastic-y interface, and technical matters like Sunday closure, what moral, political, humanitarian, or social issues exist against NF?

A proportion of the NF baiting I've read here amounts to people parroting each other. Is there anything as real as the Blockbuster or Walmart failings?


fg

shiftless
post #149  on September 4, 2007 - 3:24 PM PDT  
I've been curious to know why netflix is "evil" too, haven't seen a decent post about anything specific yet. of course i'm too lazy to really dig through message boards...;)

and I'm annoyed the movie sent to me on Aug. 31 didn't arrive today...
woozy
post #150  on September 4, 2007 - 3:26 PM PDT  
> On September 4, 2007 - 10:47 AM PDT FGaipa wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Question to Woozy. If I recall, were you the one on an eight-out?

No. I'm on the five out with NF and one out with GC. A 3 or 4 out what probably work fine for me but I like having a selection on hand.

>If so and if you still are, did even that get you 31 or more in August?

I've never had 31 in a month. I doubt I could watch them if I could.

> Even with my ability to mail returns 24/7 in our employee mailbox, I have no confidence that an eight-out would double my 13. Please, no whole screen-long schematics. A few words will do.

n-out means n-movies during turnaround time (including sundays, and watching time). Turn around time is over a week so no. If Turnaround time were a week it'd work. (Although no mail on Sundays usually mean missing a movie every other Sunday).

With GCs postal trouble the n-out plan really works against them.

Hmmm, this might work. It's essentially the same thing as the n-out plan but worded differently and has a reasonable/practical throttle-non-throttle policy worked in:

You have the n-per-month plans, n from 1 to ... heck the skys the limit but say 90. The assumptions being 1) door to door including watching is a month. 2) disks are shipped at an even rate throughout the month. If you are on a 4-per month the disk get shipped a disk a week or so. If you are on the 90-per month. Disks are shipped 3 a day. Some rewards should probably be offered for those members on an 8 or less who return their disk early so people aren't encouraged to horde.
toastandkeri
post #151  on September 4, 2007 - 4:27 PM PDT  
/me stuffs herself into an envelope to see if she can somehow figure out why a DVD mailed on August 27th in the morning still has STILL not been received by GC. Eight days from Bay Area to L.A. and counting.

*blech*
mrfuzion
post #152  on September 4, 2007 - 7:03 PM PDT  
> On September 4, 2007 - 11:04 AM PDT FGaipa wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Question to anyone, but please, please, please restrain the hyperbole. I'm asking while wishing GC the best.
>
> I easily get the issues against Blockbuster (censorship), or Walmart (among many other things labor relations). Other than bigness, a throttling scandal, a clashes with green color scheme, a plastic-y interface, and technical matters like Sunday closure, what moral, political, humanitarian, or social issues exist against NF?
>
> A proportion of the NF baiting I've read here amounts to people parroting each other. Is there anything as real as the Blockbuster or Walmart failings?
>
>
> fg
>
>
> ---------------------------------

As a former subscriber of Netflix, my biggest complaint was the throttling. Blockbuster, when I had them, was actually worse on throttling than Netflix. In fact, I would have six or seven titles forever in the top spaces, but since they couldn't be shipped to me within their expected time (so said an email from them), I wouldn't get them. I also became a Blockbuster store manager for a while, which eliminated my need for Netflix.

Once I quit Blockbuster as a manager, that's when I tried the program online and actually liked it ok except for all the titles I couldn't get. Then, I tried Intelliflix which I liked because the movies all came from independent video stores instead of a central warehouse. Unfortunately, getting new releases from them was like pulling teeth.

After that, someone turned me on to GreenCine. Has it been perfect? Nope. However, I have a lot less problems getting new releases, I can actually watch a good chunk of gay movies, independent movies and docus I couldn't get from the other places and I personally have not really encountered the mailing problems others have. I can't really see me going back to Netflix unless I just can't get the movies I want to watch here, which hasn't really been a problem. I live in Belmont, which is near San Mateo and south of San Francisco, and my store rentals are limited to places I really don't want to go. As long as GreenCine doesn't throttle, I'll be happy.

Here's another great reason I stay. I posted a week or two back that "Small Town Gay Bar" wasn't available on the site. A couple days later it was. It went into red status, but now it's shipping out to me today. That's pretty impressive in my book to go from "not on the site" to in my hands in just a couple of weeks. Try getting that kind of service anywhere else.
Battie
post #153  on September 5, 2007 - 1:22 PM PDT  
> On September 4, 2007 - 4:27 PM PDT toastandkeri wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> /me stuffs herself into an envelope to see if she can somehow figure out why a DVD mailed on August 27th in the morning still has STILL not been received by GC. Eight days from Bay Area to L.A. and counting.
>
> *blech*
> ---------------------------------

The glory of the USPS! Probably.

I stuck three discs in a drop-in box outside of my P.O. last Thursday and my queue was freed up today. So I'm thinking the last three discs I sent back may have been stolen. ._. I will never use my mailbox again. ;_;


As for Netflix vs. Blockbuster vs. Greencine...It's been a long time since I've been with NF and BB. I was at NF when they were secretly throttling. That's really the only beef I have with them. (That and they supposedly 'settled' but haven't fulfilled the free one-month rental period to those who were paying for service during the secret throttling period.)

I never knew Blockbuster throttled. Do they really? If you're talking about the top of your queue not being sent out...do you have it locked or something? I noticed while I was there (though it was when they first opened) that a lot of their new movies would get stuck on low availablity. Personally, I liked BB except for an even bigger lack of variety than NF. I suspect BB will still have more copies of big releases than all the independent/foreign/etc films combined. Still, free in-store coupons AND the ability to take my movies into the store and exhchange them for DVDs right then and there (which means throttling isn't even an issue, really). With a store less than a mile from my house, that's a big incentive. If I ever 'supplement' GC, it'll probably be with BB.

Assuming I actually WANT to rent more movies, which is unlikely. But it might be worth it for free game rentals every month. :)

What's the censorship issue? I've found things in my LOCAL Blockbuster that continue to shock me. (Shock that they're there, not that they exist.) Sexually explicit films, documentaries, foreign films, indie films, etc. I've never really noticed them deliberately avoiding any genre (except maybe anime, but there's a sound reason for that - buying an entire series of anime is much more expensive in the long run than buying a few copies of a movie). I actually really dig my local BB for having as much variety as they do (especially given that it's in Texas). The BB I used to go to about 10-15 miles away (next town over) rarely had that much variety. Just massive amounts of new releases and little else.

I went into BB yesterday and found Fay Grim, Broken English and several other 'indie' flicks. Or near-indie. :P They even had Journey to the End of Night (from the guy who directed Manito), which GC doesn't even have yet. Then again, BB might have it because Brendan Fraser and Mos Def are in it. :P


I guess if I had to say which company gave me more warm fuzzies...I'd say BB. They've never tried to deliberately screw me over (like NF), and in fact, have even been pretty cool to me. (That whole free Gold membership nets me a free Favorites rental every month, even when I'm not renting jack for months on end.)
Smartacus
post #154  on September 5, 2007 - 1:40 PM PDT  
Sounds like most people's turnaround times have improved somewhat. Not mine! I currently have a title stuck in my queue that I returned 15 days ago. Other titles have been taking a week or so to turn over. No response from customer service on my inquiries.

I understand that everybody makes mistakes and transitions are tough, and I've been prepared to ride this out with Greencine. But it's taking a really long time for them to fix the problem, and the poor response from customer service just makes it worse. I never thought I'd consider going back to Netflix, but I'm pretty close to doing so now.

It's a damn shame. I really love Greencine.
artifex
post #155  on September 5, 2007 - 3:19 PM PDT  
> On September 5, 2007 - 1:40 PM PDT Smartacus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Sounds like most people's turnaround times have improved somewhat. Not mine! I currently have a title stuck in my queue that I returned 15 days ago. Other titles have been taking a week or so to turn over. No response from customer service on my inquiries.

Okay, this bugs me. Not the length, but the fact people are still not getting good email response. If they can't devote enough time to answering mail on a timely basis, or it's getting lost frequently, they need to pony up for an automated lost dvd complaint button, like we've been asking for, for years.

Start a new thread, maybe you'll be heard.
weezy
post #156  on September 5, 2007 - 3:34 PM PDT  
Heya Smartacus,

Sorry to hear about the delays. If it's been 7 days and we haven't received a return from you, please email us: support@greencine.com with your screen name and title in question, and we'll send a replacement right away. Thanks for your GreenCine love!
underdog
post #157  on September 5, 2007 - 3:38 PM PDT  
> On September 5, 2007 - 3:19 PM PDT artifex wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On September 5, 2007 - 1:40 PM PDT Smartacus wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > Sounds like most people's turnaround times have improved somewhat. Not mine! I currently have a title stuck in my queue that I returned 15 days ago. Other titles have been taking a week or so to turn over. No response from customer service on my inquiries.
>
> Okay, this bugs me. Not the length, but the fact people are still not getting good email response. If they can't devote enough time to answering mail on a timely basis, or it's getting lost frequently, they need to pony up for an automated lost dvd complaint button, like we've been asking for, for years.
>
> Start a new thread, maybe you'll be heard.
> ---------------------------------

Also, we've been pretty darned good about responding to emails that we receive - the problem seems to be when either we don't get people's emails in the first place or they don't get our response. Either way, we're never happy when that's the case. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of days to get a response. If you hear nothing, please do drop support a line again, and cc content at greencine.com and/or post something here at the worst. We do take your troubles seriously! An auto quick return feature is in the works finally (seriously!) No ETA but we hope, soon.
Smartacus
post #158  on September 5, 2007 - 4:54 PM PDT  
What does "auto quick return" mean?
Belgand
post #159  on September 6, 2007 - 3:04 AM PDT  
I haven't been keeping close enough attention, but it seems that return times have been getting slightly worse coming back from San Francisco. Nothing huge, but an extra day here or there seems to be creeping into the returns more often than not: i.e. a disc sent back on Aug. 24 from the local post office was received on Aug. 28, FGaipa assures us that mail still travels on Sunday even if it isn't delivered, but even without that it's still 3 days until receipt.

Likewise last week two discs left my house, hrmm... sometime mid-week? Very late Wednesday or possibly Thursday night. I delivered them directly to a postal employee who happened to be emptying a box at the very odd time of midnight or so. One arrived today (by which I mean, Sept. 5) but the other still hasn't been seen yet. Again, it seems odd that two discs handed to the same person at the same time would be arriving on different days. And, again, even excepting the Sunday and (of course) Labor Day we still have a delivery time that, at best, is four days (assuming it was Thursday night and, as such, was part of Friday's pick-up).

Things had started to get better, or, at least, had stabilized at the same level of lowered service, but now it seems that times are slipping for San Francisco yet again. Not just one week, but at least two that I can immediately recall.

The issue that really compounds all of this is that while the return process is more or less transparent in that we know the date our disc ships and we can easily tell the date it's delivered to us, on the return side we only have GreenCine's word that a disc is received in the mail on the same day that it's checked in.

I'm not suggested that they're intentionally deceiving us or secretly trying to implement some sort of throttling policy, but simply that there might be inefficiencies in the procedure somewhere. Maybe the mail is starting to pile up a bit and some discs end up being set aside until tomorrow. Maybe it's getting picked up from the post office in such a way that means they're getting the previous day's mail. Maybe it's even the non-machinable return envelopes that just seem like a bad idea.

Again, it's not GreenCine, it's that we're now dealing with an outsourced shipping center that might not always be delivering everything to the same high degree of quality we've always experienced in the past.

This, however, doesn't deal with the issues plaguing the East Bay and their long, long return times. I'm not certain that there isn't something within the post office that isn't mucking things up.

Still, while there are problems, the post office is usually pretty consistent, especially with short-range deliveries like these.

Finally, while much has been said, I'd be interested to learn what GreenCine is considering an acceptable level of service for their Bay Area customers. Basically, that point where they admit that they're entirely happy with the process and aren't going to be sweating any more over making it better. Is this two days each way (i.e. Monday out, Friday in)? Two day complete turnaround (i.e. Monday out, Wednesday in)? Something else altogether more sinister (soon we won't ship any discs and they will all be mine, MINE, MIIINNNEE!!! *cackle*)?
weezy
post #160  on September 6, 2007 - 3:52 PM PDT  
> On September 6, 2007 - 3:04 AM PDT Belgand wrote:

> Finally, while much has been said, I'd be interested to learn what GreenCine is considering an acceptable level of service for their Bay Area customers. Basically, that point where they admit that they're entirely happy with the process and aren't going to be sweating any more over making it better. Is this two days each way (i.e. Monday out, Friday in)? Two day complete turnaround (i.e. Monday out, Wednesday in)? Something else altogether more sinister (soon we won't ship any discs and they will all be mine, MINE, MIIINNNEE!!! *cackle*)?
> ---------------------------------

Belgand, thanks for your input here, and I'm sorry that your shipping times have been delayed. On our end I can assure you we process all returns the day they are received. The new shipping center has improved the shipping procedures and holds itself to the same, if not higher standards than we were able to maintain in the previous shipping facility. We would be thrilled if the Post Office fulfilled its 1-3 day delivery time for first class mail. I do apologize if these guarantees are not enough, however, we do understand that when your level of service decreases, regardless of if it is the fault of the Post Office or otherwise, it is GreenCine that has the responsibility to improve the service. Please be assured that currently we are developing ways to do this, and we think you'll be very pleased with the results. We'll be announcing more as it comes!

page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.