GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Home Releases
General discussion about what's out for the couch.
274

The SemiOfficial Help! Looking for the Name of a Movie thread
Topic by: underdog
Posted: September 25, 2007 - 4:17 PM PDT
Last Reply: November 12, 2010 - 2:28 PM PST

page  1  2  3  4      prev | next
author topic: The SemiOfficial Help! Looking for the Name of a Movie thread
hamano
post #21  on November 8, 2007 - 4:50 PM PST  
> On November 8, 2007 - 4:25 PM PST doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> The basic story was a British expediation found this 'giant' reptile on a remote island.
> After a struggle, the brits won, captured it, and sailed to London to put the thing on display (live). As they sailed, a water stream was used to keep the animal wet and cool.
> In London, the animal is on display, when a GIANT reptile arrives. This is the parent of the small one on display. Now London is torn apart, even Big Ben. In the last stop, the two are shown entering the water to return home.

Sounds like Gorgo.

If so, too bad because GreenCine doesn't have it (yet).
akagaare
post #22  on November 8, 2007 - 4:50 PM PST  
> On November 8, 2007 - 4:25 PM PST doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> It's that time again Cinephiles! One of your own is having trouble recalling a movie. Scramble movie watchers, to come to his aid. The winner receives my undying gratitude.
>
>
> As quoted by the member in peril:
>
> I'm trying to determine the name of a film that I remember as a teen (a very long time ago).
>
> The basic story was a British expediation found this 'giant' reptile on a remote island.
> After a struggle, the brits won, captured it, and sailed to London to put the thing on display (live). As they sailed, a water stream was used to keep the animal wet and cool.
> In London, the animal is on display, when a GIANT reptile arrives. This is the parent of the small one on display. Now London is torn apart, even Big Ben. In the last stop, the two are shown entering the water to return home.
>
> This movie was seen in the late 1960, in a theater type presentation.
>
> What is the name? I though it was a Godzilla movie but nothing looks right and most are on the wrong side of the earth.
>
> ---------------------------------

I googled "london giant lizard movie" and this was one of the results: http://www.stomptokyo.com/movies/g/gorgo.html

Then I looked up "Gorgo" on GreenCine and it turns out they have it: http://www.greencine.com/webCatalog?id=1014&element=gorgo

I hope that helps.
akagaare
post #23  on November 8, 2007 - 4:52 PM PST  
> On November 8, 2007 - 4:50 PM PST hamano wrote:
> >
> Sounds like Gorgo.
>
> If so, too bad because GreenCine doesn't have it (yet).

> ---------------------------------

Wow, he's fast. And he was right. It just has the "Request for Rental" option.
doozer
post #24  on November 8, 2007 - 4:55 PM PST  
You guys are awesome.


Much Doozer love for all of you <3<3<3
hamano
post #25  on November 8, 2007 - 5:27 PM PST  
> On November 3, 2007 - 10:27 PM PDT akagaare wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> It was about a man in this small town, he stays at the church with the priest, he meets a woman and they go to the beach to see the ruins of her old house that had been washed away in some sort of tidal wave. At the end the man's ex-wife? and son show up on a raft - oh yes, I just remember he had been exiled top the small town for standing up for a capitalist friend or something like that. Oh and there is a man who wears this old dive suit.
> ---------------------------------

This is a long shot, but could it have been Ultimas Imagenes del Naufragio???
akagaare
post #26  on November 8, 2007 - 5:40 PM PST  
> On November 8, 2007 - 5:27 PM PST hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On November 3, 2007 - 10:27 PM PDT akagaare wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > It was about a man in this small town, he stays at the church with the priest, he meets a woman and they go to the beach to see the ruins of her old house that had been washed away in some sort of tidal wave. At the end the man's ex-wife? and son show up on a raft - oh yes, I just remember he had been exiled top the small town for standing up for a capitalist friend or something like that. Oh and there is a man who wears this old dive suit.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> This is a long shot, but could it have been Ultimas Imagenes del Naufragio???
> ---------------------------------

Nope, that's not it. I really want to see it again so I think I need to do some more digging through old emails and journals where I might find the title. I wish I could remember the museum I saw it at...
underdog
post #27  on November 9, 2007 - 10:42 AM PST  
Darn, I was totally thinking Hamano had nailed it with that one. Seemed like the right film to me. But you'd know best since you're the one looking!

At any rate, sounds like a film that's likely not out on DVD, but perhaps poking around the imdb some more will turn it up...
hamano
post #28  on November 9, 2007 - 1:27 PM PST  
I have it on good authority that the film was not one of Subiela's films based on akagaare's description, from a professor who has seen everything Subiela has ever directed, "even the obscure ones"... She wanted to know if akagaare was sure the film was in Spanish (not Portuguese/Brazilian or Dutch or something?).
akagaare
post #29  on June 24, 2008 - 7:50 PM PDT  
This topic is super old, but I wanted to post because I figured out the film! And silly me, I figured it out because I had posted on IMDB the first time I saw it about how to get a copy. And when looking up my screen name today I found that thread. Anyway, it is called La Fontera. And it's available on Amazon, but potentially not the best copy. I remember it being beautiful so that would be disappointing...
http://www.amazon.com/Frontera-Exile-Patricio-Contreras/dp/B000F8O0YO/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1214360692&sr=11-1
hamano
post #30  on June 24, 2008 - 8:35 PM PDT  
> On June 24, 2008 - 7:50 PM PDT akagaare wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> This topic is super old, but I wanted to post because I figured out the film! And silly me, I figured it out because I had posted on IMDB the first time I saw it about how to get a copy. And when looking up my screen name today I found that thread. Anyway, it is called La Frontera. And it's available on Amazon, but potentially not the best copy. I remember it being beautiful so that would be disappointing...
> http://www.amazon.com/Frontera-Exile-Patricio-Contreras/dp/B000F8O0YO/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1214360692&sr=11-1
> ---------------------------------

Ha ha! Here's the IMDB entry for La Frontera for good measure. GC should get it.
weezy
post #31  on June 25, 2008 - 12:44 PM PDT  
Thanks for the tip!

La Frontera.
kaream
post #32  on June 25, 2008 - 4:06 PM PDT  
> On October 26, 2007 - 1:28 PM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On October 26, 2007 - 12:05 PM PDT DLeonard wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > > On October 26, 2007 - 11:09 AM PDT doozer wrote:
> > > ---------------------------------
> > > Ok well here be another, as quoted from the member in need:
> > >
> > > I remember as a kid attending Saturday matinees seeing this movie. The time period in the movie was England with knights using swords. The last battle scene was inside a castle with midgets taking on regular sized people, swinging from ropes, etc. It was trippy. Can you remember the title of that movie?
> > >
>
> I don't know if someone who was going to officer candidate school in 1970 would have seen Time Bandits as a kid at a matinee... Same with Jabberwocky.
> ---------------------------------


Kind of late to be responding to a question from September 2007, but I suspect this may have been The Court Jester, a 1955 Danny Kaye vehicle (and a wonderful kids' movie), rather than the 1981 Time Bandits. My recollection is that there were midgets near the end in the sword fights, and IMDb lists 'little people' as a keyword for the movie.


But by the way, remember that IMDb has a 'I Need to Know' Q&A board for asking precisely this sort of question. The great advantage there is that posts are monitored 24/7 by thousands of people all around the world.
kaream
post #33  on June 25, 2008 - 4:17 PM PDT  
> On June 25, 2008 - 4:06 PM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Kind of late to be responding to a question from September 2007, but I suspect this may have been The Court Jester, a 1955 Danny Kaye vehicle (and a wonderful kids' movie), rather than the 1981 Time Bandits. My recollection is that there were midgets near the end in the sword fights, and IMDb lists 'little people' as a keyword for the movie.
> ---------------------------------

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has little kids wreaking havoc from the rafters in the 'neverland' castle, and I think the 1938 Errol Flynn Adventures of Robin Hood has his merrie men doing much the same thing, but I'll bet it's the Court Jester that's wanted.
Battie
post #34  on October 14, 2008 - 3:51 PM PDT  
What is this from? Awesome clip though. I freaked out a friend of mine with it. :D

I could swear I've seen the entire film before...
DLeonard
post #35  on October 15, 2008 - 12:32 AM PDT  
> On October 14, 2008 - 3:51 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> What is this from? Awesome clip though. I freaked out a friend of mine with it. :D
>
> I could swear I've seen the entire film before...
> ---------------------------------

What the hell was that???!!!!!!
underdog
post #36  on October 15, 2008 - 9:38 AM PDT  
> On October 15, 2008 - 12:32 AM PDT DLeonard wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On October 14, 2008 - 3:51 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > What is this from? Awesome clip though. I freaked out a friend of mine with it. :D
> >
> > I could swear I've seen the entire film before...
> > ---------------------------------
>
> What the hell was that???!!!!!!
> ---------------------------------

It makes Sci-Fi channel movies look good. Actually, I wonder if Mystery Science Theater did that one at some point, it looks really familiar to me too... Not sure how to look it up though. A, uh, search on IMDB under keyword "alien rape" doesn't turn up much...
hamano
post #37  on October 16, 2008 - 3:49 AM PDT  
> On October 14, 2008 - 3:51 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> What is this from? Awesome clip though.

That thing looked like someone ripped the skin off Barney the Dinosaur. That's a happy thought.
doozer
post #38  on December 4, 2008 - 3:38 PM PST  
I'm copying this from a forum I moderate:


"A co-worker has been trying to find this movie that he saw but doesn't know the name of. He only saw a little bit of it and doesn't rememebr all the details but here is what he described.

First, he thinks it could be a Stephen King movie but what happens is this woman who is a huge fan of some author (annonymous author I think, no one knows where he lives) takes cut outs from the covers of his novels and puts then together to form a state or something (some clue as to where the author lives). Well this lady and her husband go on a road trip to this town where they think the author lives and as they are entering the town (at night) they pass this kid on a bike. Further down the road they hit this old man on a bike and when they get out to see if he is ok, the old man is wearing the same cloths as the kid and says "He won't let me get off"


get off the bike, you pervs....


anyways, sound familiar to anyone?"

and

"yeah, i remember, it was about a publishing office trying to find a writer that went missing after a series of cult books."
kaream
post #39  on December 4, 2008 - 4:19 PM PST  
> On December 4, 2008 - 3:38 PM PST doozer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I'm copying this from a forum I moderate:
>
>
> "A co-worker has been trying to find this movie that he saw but doesn't know the name of. He only saw a little bit of it and doesn't rememebr all the details but here is what he described.
>
> ---------------------------------

Doozer, it never hurts to post a question like this here, but you really ought to turn your questioner on to IMDb's I NEED TO KNOW board, which is monitored 24/7 by thousands of movie fans worldwide. You can usually get answers within minutes of posting with this much specific information.
underdog
post #40  on December 4, 2008 - 4:53 PM PST  
This one's driving me mad. I feel like I've seen it ages ago but can't place it specifically enough at all. I wish they had just one more piece of info.
page  1  2  3  4      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.