GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Music
Discuss music itself, plus music videos, performance DVDs, concerts, opera, and so on. la la la o/^
16

Obama unites the Dead
Topic by: Vanamonde
Posted: February 3, 2008 - 7:19 AM PST
Last Reply: October 28, 2008 - 9:28 PM PDT

page  1  2  3  4  5      prev | next
author topic: Obama unites the Dead
Vanamonde
post #61  on September 14, 2008 - 6:34 AM PDT  
> On September 9, 2008 - 1:24 AM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>probable Kerry voters. It's certainly arguable that G. W. Bush has never been elected president by legal means.
> ---------------------------------

I would that a well documented certainty. I refuse to ever touch a black box, propriety encoded, electronic voting machine again. And this is my only choice.

Our "vote" is a meaningless joke. The fix is in and this campaign is just a show.

kaream
post #62  on September 14, 2008 - 9:28 AM PDT  
> On September 14, 2008 - 6:34 AM PDT Vanamonde wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On September 9, 2008 - 1:24 AM PDT kaream wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> >probable Kerry voters. It's certainly arguable that G. W. Bush has never been elected president by legal means.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> I would that a well documented certainty. I refuse to ever touch a black box, propriety encoded, electronic voting machine again. And this is my only choice.
>
> Our "vote" is a meaningless joke. The fix is in and this campaign is just a show.
> ---------------------------------

This is a few years old now, but tells the story.
kaream
post #63  on September 14, 2008 - 9:32 AM PDT  
I want to share with you this letter to the editor that appeared in the paper here; it would be hard to say it better or more succinctly:

"The meteoric rise of Sarah Palin from gun-totin' mayor of a town of 9,000 to vice president, just a heartbeat away from becoming the most powerful person in the world, is a story that must be told. The only person alive who could possibly do justice to this incredible story is Mel Brooks." --Edgar Romero
kaream
post #64  on September 14, 2008 - 9:44 AM PDT  
> On September 14, 2008 - 6:34 AM PDT Vanamonde wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I refuse to ever touch a black box, propriety encoded, electronic voting machine again. And this is my only choice.
> ---------------------------------

Go vote anyway. At least it's one more that they have to fix.
kaream
post #65  on September 14, 2008 - 5:13 PM PDT  
> On September 14, 2008 - 6:34 AM PDT Vanamonde wrote:
> ---------------------------------
a black box, propriety encoded, electronic voting machine
> ---------------------------------

And anyway, what's the deal with proprietary computer codes? Counting votes is not exactly high-tech rocket science. Any secretary of state who doesn't demand completely open and transparent code for voting machines ought to be impeached.
kaream
post #66  on September 19, 2008 - 1:36 PM PDT  
> On February 3, 2008 - 7:19 AM PST Vanamonde wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I have so been on the fence about Baraka Obama, he sounds so too good to be true, it scares me.
>
> Now, I read that the Grateful Dead will reunite and perform in support of his campaign Monday, just before Super Duper Fat Tuesday.
>
> Whoa. Whoa. Motherloving WHOA!
>
> Any of you lucky peeps in the City gonna make it to the show? Of course, the Dead will play in their hometown, San Fran.
>
> I hope there is a DVD of this show, soon. I am so sure the audio will be on the Net within an hour of the show's closing but it would be nice to see Micky and Phil and Bob and the others. Mmmm, I should be watch YouTube, also
>
> There is NOTHING like a Grateful Dead concert. Only been once, right after Pigpen died.
>
> I do not recall the Dead ever endorsing a President Candidate before. I think Obama has finally got my vote.
> ---------------------------------

Dead back together AGAIN, Oct 13 at Penn State, together with Bill Kreutzmann, plus the Allman Bros band -- hie thee hither, Vanamonde!
kaream
post #67  on September 19, 2008 - 4:23 PM PDT  
> On September 19, 2008 - 1:36 PM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
hie thee hither
> ---------------------------------

(Of course thither would be correct -- hence wouldn't work either -- but hither sounded better.
I guess I could claim I meant it in the sense of !Vamanos!)
kaream
post #68  on September 19, 2008 - 5:25 PM PDT  
> On September 19, 2008 - 4:23 PM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
!Vamanos!
> ---------------------------------

Or better still, !Obamanos!
kaream
post #69  on September 19, 2008 - 11:50 PM PDT  
> On September 19, 2008 - 5:25 PM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> !Vamanos!
> ---------------------------------

¡Vamonos!

My English ain't always too good, but my Spanish are considerable worser.

(And the properly inverted leading exclamation mark ¡ is [alt][173].
Just in case you were wondering, ¿ is [alt][168].)
underdog
post #70  on October 7, 2008 - 5:00 PM PDT  
Don't forget, debate tonight at 6pm PST. Enjoy! Or, er, if that's not the right word... Appreciate!
Catullus
post #71  on October 7, 2008 - 6:32 PM PDT  
I would pay some serious cash to get Mccain to say "hey you kids get off my lawn"

Id seriously vote for him if he did that.
Catullus
post #72  on October 7, 2008 - 6:45 PM PDT  
is mccain really only 72? he sounds and looks like hes 92 by the way he talks and moves.
Battie
post #73  on October 7, 2008 - 7:28 PM PDT  
> On October 7, 2008 - 6:45 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> is mccain really only 72? he sounds and looks like hes 92 by the way he talks and moves.
> ---------------------------------

I'm not going to diss his age, but the debates have me more worried. Am I the only one noticing what looks like a very fine, minor tremor? And he walks/stands oddly.


Freakily, this reminds of Commander-in-Chief. The VP was a woman who was only selected to get votes...the president dies and she was supposed to step down. Ends up refusing. God forbid that becomes reality-following-art.
kaream
post #74  on October 8, 2008 - 4:00 AM PDT  
> On October 7, 2008 - 7:28 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On October 7, 2008 - 6:45 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > is mccain really only 72? he sounds and looks like hes 92 by the way he talks and moves.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> I'm not going to diss his age, but the debates have me more worried. Am I the only one noticing what looks like a very fine, minor tremor? And he walks/stands oddly.
> ---------------------------------

Well, don't forget his arms were pulled out of his shoulder sockets, and nearly every bone in his body was broken and never treated for proper healing -- that explains the way he holds himself and moves.

I haven't noticed a tremor, but it wouldn't surprise me one way or another. If so, it could be for any number of reasons.

Personally I'm much more concerned about his mental faculties. On the one hand he's very alert and responsive to unrehearsed 'town hall' questioning even though he keeps returning to his well-rehearsed talking points -- but then so do all politicians in these situations; you can see Obama doing the exact same thing. What's much more worrying is his lapses into confusion. Sometimes it's hard to tell how much his flubs are a result of ignorance of things he really ought to know, or of a simplistic world view and attitudes, or of forgetfulness. In any event this doesn't bode well for reasoned and thoughtful decision-making. And this combined with his natural impetuousness and the notoriously short fuse on his temper is an extremely bad combination in the presidency. Further, he's not known for soliciting expert advice and contrary opinions, but tends to rely much more on his own intuitions regardless of how well-informed they may be -- or not.

Mostly I'm still very concerned that he's a classic candidate, at his age and with his personality and background, for a major disabling stroke. It's very hard for me to believe that he might be able to get through the next four years in fit physical and mental condition. This might not have been quite so scary if he had chosen a competent and well-prepared vice-presidential candidate who was a less radically doctrinaire adherent of the far right wing. The possibility of a Palin presidency ought to be enough to scare the living bejesus out of anyone.
hamano
post #75  on October 8, 2008 - 5:08 AM PDT  
You'd have thought a town hall format would have been a BIT more exciting, but again, they managed to make it stump speechy and boring. Has everyone forgotten the definition of the word debate? I'd say Obama did a little better than McCain, but it's within the margin of my bias. Why didn't Obama go after McCain for Palin's claim that he knows how to win wars? McCain was just saying "Petraeus said this and Petraeus said that".... McCain sounded like the vice-presidential running-mate in the Petraeus-McCain ticket.

McCain seemed a bit better at engaging the audience in the studio as he walk-turn-stop-walk-turn-stopped all over the stage like some ancient wind-up toy. But he didn't lay out any clear plans whereas Obama did a bit better explaining clearly what he wanted to do.

My Friends, I'm even more inclined to vote for Obama now, but many times during that debate I was wishing Hilary was up there making things a bit more exciting. It was "Oldest Professor in the School VS. Smartest Boy in the Class" and for all the times they directly accused each other for voting for this and voting for that, very milquetoast.

And what was with the people in the audience who asked questions? They all seemed like they had been threatened with interrogation by Jack Bauer if they asked a tough question.
Vanamonde
post #76  on October 8, 2008 - 8:23 AM PDT  
> On September 19, 2008 - 1:36 PM PDT kaream wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Dead back together AGAIN, Oct 13 at Penn State, together with Bill Kreutzmann, plus the Allman Bros band -- hie thee hither, Vanamonde!
> ---------------------------------

Bill and Micky synchronizing their heartbeats again! That almost makes as happy as reading about Tina Turner's new tour.

Vanamonde
post #77  on October 8, 2008 - 8:24 AM PDT  
> On October 8, 2008 - 5:08 AM PDT hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> And what was with the people in the audience who asked questions? They all seemed like they had been threatened with interrogation by Jack Bauer if they asked a tough question.
> ---------------------------------
They had fresh software downloaded into them.

underdog
post #78  on October 8, 2008 - 10:08 AM PDT  
> On October 7, 2008 - 7:28 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On October 7, 2008 - 6:45 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > is mccain really only 72? he sounds and looks like hes 92 by the way he talks and moves.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> I'm not going to diss his age, but the debates have me more worried. Am I the only one noticing what looks like a very fine, minor tremor? And he walks/stands oddly.
>
>
> Freakily, this reminds of Commander-in-Chief. The VP was a woman who was only selected to get votes...the president dies and she was supposed to step down. Ends up refusing. God forbid that becomes reality-following-art.
> ---------------------------------

He literally reminded me of this movie character a bit last night.

Well, I guess I'm not the only one.
Battie
post #79  on October 8, 2008 - 9:46 PM PDT  
Obama and McCain blinked a lot. I kept thinking I was imagining it, but the audience wasn't blinking like that.
Cinenaut
post #80  on October 9, 2008 - 12:45 PM PDT  
That's not good. Sarah Palin says you can't blink!

> On October 8, 2008 - 9:46 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Obama and McCain blinked a lot. I kept thinking I was imagining it, but the audience wasn't blinking like that.
> ---------------------------------

page  1  2  3  4  5      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.