GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine Movie Talk
Home Releases
General discussion about what's out for the couch.
274

The Criterion Collection, Boutique Labels & Film Classics
Topic by: Eoliano
Posted: January 5, 2006 - 1:47 PM PST
Last Reply: January 29, 2007 - 3:50 PM PST

page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next
author topic: The Criterion Collection, Boutique Labels & Film Classics
Eoliano
post #61  on February 18, 2006 - 10:19 AM PST  
Update:

The release date for Criterion's special two-disc set of Ozu's Late Spring now set for May 9.
Eoliano
post #62  on February 20, 2006 - 12:01 AM PST  
Possible Criterion titles for 2006 - not necessarily random speculation:

49th Parallel
The Baron of Arizona
A Canterbury Tale
Drunken Angel
I Live in Fear
I Shot Jesse James
Jour de Fete
Playtime
Sanjuro
Seven Samurai Criterion
Shanghai Express
The Steel Helmet
A Woman Is a Woman
Yojimbo


and presumably from Criterion's new Eclipse label:

The Atomic Submarine
Corridors of Blood
The Haunted Strangler
Eoliano
post #63  on February 20, 2006 - 8:25 AM PST  
Sony press release:

Culver City, CA (February 20, 2006) Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is honored to announce the DVD debut of Michelangelo Antonioni's 1975 classic, The Passenger, on April 25, 2006. The Sony Pictures Classics film stars Academy Award winner Jack Nicholson (Somethings Gotta Give, About Schmidt, As Good as It Gets) as the enigmatic title character and will be available on DVD for an SRP of $24.96.

Director Michelangelo Antonioni is responsible for some of the most brilliant films of the 1960's including L'Avventura, The Red Desert and Blow-Up. For the release of The Passenger in 1975, Antonioni teamed with producer Carlo Ponti (Dr. Zhivago) and cast rising stars Jack Nicholson, who had just completed Chinatown, and Maria Schneider (Last Tango in Paris) to create a somber reflection on one man's inability to escape his past. The Passenger was nominated for the 1975 Golden Palm Award at the Cannes Film Festival and won the 1976 Bodil Award (Danish Association of Film Critics) for Best European Film and the 1976 Italian National Syndicate of Film Journalists' Silver Ribbon for Best Director and Best Cinematography. In 1995, Antonioni was awarded an Honorary Oscar for his body of work.

The Passenger was re-released theatrically in 2005 by Sony Pictures Classics and critics found that the suspenseful and haunting story of a drained journalist whose deliverance is an identity exchange with a dead man was still remarkably powerful, even 30 years after its premiere. Manohla Dargis in the New York Times called it "... arguably Mr. Antonioni's greatest film" while the Los Angeles Times' Patrick Goldstein hailed it as "a bravura piece of filmmaking." Michael Wilmington in the Chicago Tribune praised The Passenger, saying: "It's a movie from the past that still points ahead to the future: a cinematic rite of passage that raptly recalls a time when the world may have been as uncertain as now, but the movies were often lovelier and more daring."

The Passenger DVD will include audio commentary with journalist Aurora Irvine and screenwriter Mark Peploe.

Aurora Irvine?
Eoliano
post #64  on February 20, 2006 - 9:07 AM PST  
Scheduled for May 9 is the single disc reissue/remaster of Francois Truffaut's most personal and arguably most popular film, The 400 Blows.

Special features to include two audio commentaries, one by Brian Stonehill and another by lifelong friend of Truffaut, Robert Lachenay; audition footage of Jean-Pierre Leaud, Patrick Auffay and Richard Kanayan; newsreel footage of Jean-Pierre Leaud in Cannes; an excerpt from a French TV program with Truffaut discussing his youth, and a TV interview with Truffaut about the global reception of the film, plus a new digital transfer Antoine and Colette.
Eoliano
post #65  on February 20, 2006 - 6:06 PM PST  
DVD Beaver reviews the new Eureka MoC DVD of Keisuke Kinoshita's Twenty-Four Eyes.
talltale
post #66  on February 21, 2006 - 3:26 PM PST  
The box design for the new Criterion TBSW is fabulous! It's perfect--as it reflects one of the singular events in the movie (and one that echoes the most important past event, as well.) It also makes a great piece of composition/art: the white and black and that little bit of red. Wow! If you've seen the box art from the badly-produced, earlier version of TBSW, you'll realize that this new one is light years better.

> On January 11, 2006 - 2:09 PM PST underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> What do you think of Criterion's box design for the new edition of Bad Sleep Well? It's one of the few I've seen from them that I'd categorize as ugly. But maybe it'll grow on me.
>
>
> ---------------------------------

Eoliano
post #67  on February 21, 2006 - 4:30 PM PST  
> On February 21, 2006 - 3:26 PM PST talltale wrote:

> The box design for the new Criterion TBSW is fabulous! It's perfect--as it reflects one of the singular events in the movie (and one that echoes the most important past event, as well.) It also makes a great piece of composition/art: the white and black and that little bit of red. Wow! If you've seen the box art from the badly-produced, earlier version of TBSW, you'll realize that this new one is light years better.

Much better, indeed, talltale, and am honored that you paid a visit!

Speaking of cover art, Image Entertainment has just uploaded their page for the Criterion DVD of Viridiana and it looks like they changed the cover art from this to this, however, the old cover is still on Criterion's Viridiana page.
lizzoqops
post #68  on February 21, 2006 - 6:01 PM PST  
> On February 21, 2006 - 4:30 PM PST Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On February 21, 2006 - 3:26 PM PST talltale wrote:
>
> > The box design for the new Criterion TBSW is fabulous! It's perfect--as it reflects one of the singular events in the movie (and one that echoes the most important past event, as well.) It also makes a great piece of composition/art: the white and black and that little bit of red. Wow! If you've seen the box art from the badly-produced, earlier version of TBSW, you'll realize that this new one is light years better.
>
> Much better, indeed, talltale, and am honored that you paid a visit!
>

Off the road and home again...
I vaguely remember a picture of the hideout, was that the cover art? I really love the cover of the new one too. Have I said that before? : )


> Speaking of cover art, Image Entertainment has just uploaded their page for the Criterion DVD of Viridiana and it looks like they changed the cover art from this to this, however, the old cover is still on Criterion's Viridiana page.
> ---------------------------------

That's better, it's pretty retro but I don't have a problem with that. That purple cover is stupid, and looks like someone cut out the picture with scissors from a magazine.

Eoliano
post #69  on February 22, 2006 - 9:19 AM PST  
> I vaguely remember a picture of the hideout, was that the cover art? I really love the cover of the new one too. Have I said that before? : )

Don't know which cover you are referring, the Criterion laserdisc or the Mei Ah DVD or...

> > ... it looks like they changed the cover art from this to this, however, the old cover is still on Criterion's Viridiana page.

> That's better, it's pretty retro but I don't have a problem with that. That purple cover is stupid, and looks like someone cut out the picture with scissors from a magazine.

That was everyone's complaint at criterionforum.org. It looked like a wrong-headed cut-and-paste PhotoShop job and the hideous colors cheapened it even further! The black and white makes perfect sense, as does the use of the original poster art for the text, though I would have prefered they used this provacative image.
Eoliano
post #70  on February 22, 2006 - 9:31 AM PST  
I'm not holding my breath, but rumor has it that Warners will release Donald Cammell and Nick Roeg's cult classic, Performance sometime in the not too distant future.

Didn't I see you down in San Antone on a hot and dusty night?
Eoliano
post #71  on February 22, 2006 - 9:57 AM PST  
From The Hollywood Reporter:

Indie Wellspring runs dry as distributor

"In a move that effectively ends Wellspring Media's existence as an independent theatrical distributor, Genius Products, the parent company of the art-house-oriented Wellspring, said Tuesday that it has reached an agreement for the Weinstein Co. to serve as the new theatrical distribution arm for the indie's theatrical releases."
Eoliano
post #72  on February 22, 2006 - 10:02 AM PST  
Metropolitan director Whit Stillman interviewed.
underdog
post #73  on February 22, 2006 - 10:17 AM PST  
Not a Criterion disc but should have been... heard that the DVD release of The Passenger was delayed. Originally scheduled for March. Sigh. We'll keep ya posted. (Or do likewise if you hear anything.)

C
Eoliano
post #74  on February 22, 2006 - 10:37 AM PST  
> Not a Criterion disc but should have been... heard that the DVD release of The Passenger was delayed. Originally scheduled for March. Sigh. We'll keep ya posted. (Or do likewise if you hear anything.)

> C

Craig, duly noted on previous page. ;- )

The upcoming DVD of Michelangelo Antonioni's The Passenger unaccountably delayed!

Sony's page for the DVD has dropped from sight. Meanwhile, according to Gary Tooze of DVD Beaver, the Sony DVD will include the 126 minute (European) version and will feature a commentary track by Aurora Irvine and screenwriter Mark Peploe. Sony originally listed the special features as including an audio commentary by Jack Nicholson with a second commentary by Wim Wenders, An Evening at the Academy featurette, plus an interview with writer Mark Peploe and actress Maria Schneider, so go figure.

The Girl: Who are you?
David Locke: I used to be someone else but I traded him in.

My question: who is Aurora Irvine?
Eoliano
post #75  on February 22, 2006 - 10:49 AM PST  
Warners apparently seeking best elements for their R1 DVD of Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons, DVDs of which have recently surfaced in Europe, but none to compare with Warners R1 edition of Citizen Kane.

Here is a review of the recent French edition.
underdog
post #76  on February 22, 2006 - 1:55 PM PST  
> On February 22, 2006 - 10:37 AM PST Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------

> Craig, duly noted on previous page. ;- )
>
> The upcoming DVD of Michelangelo Antonioni's The Passenger unaccountably delayed!
>

Oops! Right - sorry - grazie! Yeah I wonder if it's just delayed because of all those extras, or what. Be nice if they would give more details on what's up. Oh well. Again, I wish Criterion had handled it instead.
Eoliano
post #77  on February 22, 2006 - 5:35 PM PST  
> Oops! Right - sorry - grazie! Yeah I wonder if it's just delayed because of all those extras, or what. Be nice if they would give more details on what's up. Oh well. Again, I wish Criterion had handled it instead.

Same here, and while I wasn't at all enamoured with the quality of the theatrical prints, am hoping Sony's DVD transfer is state-of-the-art high-def. Recent scuttlebutt re features is confounding and confusing. The idea of commentaries by Nicholson and Wenders was a plus, but now it's uncertain who is doing what.
Eoliano
post #78  on February 23, 2006 - 8:45 AM PST  
Amazon still maintains a release date of April 25 and a new cover for The Passenger, but no further details. It's not listed on Sony's upcoming titles page yet, so maybe not until May.
Eoliano
post #79  on February 23, 2006 - 7:31 PM PST  
The DVD Town page for The Passenger is up.

Disc Details
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1 Anamorphic
Audio: english in dolby digital mono
Subtitles:
Runtime: 126

Special Features
Audio commentary with Jack Nicholson
Second commentary with Wim Wenders
Evening at the Academy Featurette
Interview with writer Mark Peploe and actress Maria Schneider

Go figure...
DLeonard
post #80  on February 24, 2006 - 10:30 AM PST  
> On February 23, 2006 - 8:45 AM PST Eoliano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Amazon still maintains a release date of April 25 and a new cover for The Passenger, but no further details. It's not listed on Sony's upcoming titles page yet, so maybe not until May.
> ---------------------------------

I don't know EO, your own post #63 is a press release from Sony. Any reason to think that release date isn't set?
page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >>      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.