GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Feedback
Have suggestions, criticism or praise for the GreenCine community? Post them here. Please maintain a sense of decorum here.
1063

Why Bother Subscribing To GC
Topic by: RBrunette
Posted: July 19, 2004 - 3:30 PM PDT
Last Reply: August 26, 2004 - 5:43 AM PDT

page  1  2  3  4  5  6      prev | next
author topic: Why Bother Subscribing To GC
lizzoqops
post #21  on July 20, 2004 - 7:31 PM PDT  
I think you're all prejudiced against Batman.
SonjaBlue
post #22  on July 20, 2004 - 9:28 PM PDT  
lizzoqops wrote:

> I think you're all prejudiced against Batman.
> ---------------------------------

Perhaps. But I am of the opinion that it's the GreenCine staffers (as a whole) who have a bit of dry humour in assigning icons for its new subscribers.

My default icon was also set to Batman.

Difficult to imagine -- I know. The irony. The cliché.

(Or perhaps someone there has heard of me...)
artifex
post #23  on July 21, 2004 - 2:10 AM PDT  
> On July 20, 2004 - 4:32 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Off the subject here, but what is it with people and Batman icons?

(wink)

I agree that it's a bad thing if someone has 25 or so movies in queue and absolutely none of them come available, assuming that the queue is left unlocked, and assuming they weren't amongst the rarest 25 movies GC has.

On the other hand, not to be mean or anything, but if someone only has 25 movies they want to see, if he or she were to get one every day or so for the next month, he or she would still have no reason to stay with GC at the end of that period. In my purely subjective opinion, and following the previous guideline of the movies not being terribly rare, I think it would be more cost effective for that person to seek those movies out locally.

Personally, I'd like someone having this unavailability issue to show his or her list so we can see what's being requested. I certainly wouldn't mind bumping matching titles to the bottom of my queue to help someone else if they've been waiting for a while.
dh22
post #24  on July 21, 2004 - 5:11 AM PDT  
> On July 20, 2004 - 9:28 PM PDT SonjaBlue wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Perhaps. But I am of the opinion that it's the GreenCine staffers (as a whole) who have a bit of dry humour in assigning icons for its new subscribers.
>
> My default icon was also set to Batman.
>
> Difficult to imagine -- I know. The irony. The cliché.
>
> (Or perhaps someone there has heard of me...)

> ---------------------------------

I don't think there is any personalized assigning going on. I think Batman is the default for everyone.
Moriarty
post #25  on July 21, 2004 - 6:03 AM PDT  
This may be a bit late but oh well...
I came here from Number Slate, so if you want to complain about a service that doesn't carry titles you should give them a try and then see how good you have it here.
My only complaint with GC is the long shipping time to the east coast. But I'm willing to accept it because I'm able to get movies that no other service carries. I also realize there will come a time when I simply run out of movies in my queue and the cost of waiting becomes too high. Although with almost 250 movies on my list, I don't see that happening for a while. So, if all you have in your list are 25 movies that you want to see, maybe you should just quit the online DVD scene altogether and hit your local rental place.
fdguarino
post #26  on July 21, 2004 - 9:38 AM PDT  
I keep very short list, currently only 19 and three of those are in a series. Yet, I almost always get a DVD from GC when they receive one I returned.

-FDGUARINO
underdog
post #27  on July 21, 2004 - 10:48 AM PDT  
> On July 20, 2004 - 9:28 PM PDT SonjaBlue wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> lizzoqops wrote:
>
> > I think you're all prejudiced against Batman.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> Perhaps. But I am of the opinion that it's the GreenCine staffers (as a whole) who have a bit of dry humour in assigning icons for its new subscribers.
>
> My default icon was also set to Batman.
>
> Difficult to imagine -- I know. The irony. The cliché.
>
> (Or perhaps someone there has heard of me...)

> ---------------------------------


Heh. I think you're actually on to something there. And LizzO, I was just teasing of course. Although I do think you've been around here long enough and have contributed so much to the boards that it would be time for you to get a personalized icon. (May I suggest someone from Mystery Science Theater?)

Anyway...

C
lizzoqops
post #28  on July 21, 2004 - 12:49 PM PDT  
I've toyed with the idea, but all the jpgs I've resized come out kinda blurry. Besides, my admiration for Adam West knows no bounds.

Of course, if someone wants to volunteer their services...
Catullus
post #29  on July 21, 2004 - 1:16 PM PDT  
> On July 21, 2004 - 12:49 PM PDT lizzoqops wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I've toyed with the idea, but all the jpgs I've resized come out kinda blurry. Besides, my admiration for Adam West knows no bounds.
>
> Of course, if someone wants to volunteer their services...
> ---------------------------------


*volunteers*
roadwarrior
post #30  on July 21, 2004 - 1:58 PM PDT  
> On July 19, 2004 - 3:30 PM PDT RBrunette wrote:
> ---------------------------------
I'm going to start looking elsewhere and check out Netflix.
At least Netflix has actual copies of the videos they offer.
> ---------------------------------

Is Netflix even going to be around much longer? They lost almost 50% of their market capitalization in just the month of July. It's either a conglomeration of market cycles bottoming out, or is something fundamentally wrong with the company?

~ roadie
Cinenaut
post #31  on July 21, 2004 - 2:10 PM PDT  
Blockbuster is out to overtake them, for one thing.
fdguarino
post #32  on July 21, 2004 - 2:34 PM PDT  
Market capitalization and profits are two different things. It looks like their CEO is selling quite a bit of his stock options. That, Blockbuster's pricing plan and a failure to achieve expected profits may be contributing to the decline.
However, since they are making a profit and have around $150million cash, I don't think they are going belly-up any time soon. But I don't think I personally will be investing in them any time soon.

-FDGUARINO

> On July 21, 2004 - 1:58 PM PDT roadwarrior wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On July 19, 2004 - 3:30 PM PDT RBrunette wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> I'm going to start looking elsewhere and check out Netflix.
> At least Netflix has actual copies of the videos they offer.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> Is Netflix even going to be around much longer? They lost almost 50% of their market capitalization in just the month of July. It's either a conglomeration of market cycles bottoming out, or is something fundamentally wrong with the company?
>
> ~ roadie
> ---------------------------------

fdguarino
post #33  on July 21, 2004 - 2:47 PM PDT  
I just checked the BB website. For their online rentals, they are only showing 500 anime titles. I think even NF has more that that, but it is better than WM.

-FDGUARINO


> On July 21, 2004 - 2:10 PM PDT Cinenaut wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Blockbuster is out to overtake them, for one thing.
> ---------------------------------

Cinenaut
post #34  on July 21, 2004 - 3:11 PM PDT  
> On July 21, 2004 - 2:47 PM PDT fdguarino wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I just checked the BB website. For their online rentals, they are only showing 500 anime titles. I think even NF has more that that, but it is better than WM.
> ---------------------------------

That's why I didn't mention Blockbuster overtaking GreenCine. Hehe.

lizzoqops
post #35  on July 21, 2004 - 9:05 PM PDT  
> On July 21, 2004 - 1:16 PM PDT Catullus wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On July 21, 2004 - 12:49 PM PDT lizzoqops wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > I've toyed with the idea, but all the jpgs I've resized come out kinda blurry. Besides, my admiration for Adam West knows no bounds.
> >
> > Of course, if someone wants to volunteer their services...
> > ---------------------------------
>
>
> *volunteers*
> ---------------------------------

Thanks, Big C! Let me know where to and I'll send you a nice jpeg that needs resizing tomorrow.

Maybe I'll find a good pic of Adam West : )

Catullus
post #36  on July 22, 2004 - 5:49 AM PDT  
> On July 21, 2004 - 9:05 PM PDT lizzoqops wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Thanks, Big C! Let me know where to and I'll send you a nice jpeg that needs resizing tomorrow.
>
> Maybe I'll find a good pic of Adam West : )
>
>
> ---------------------------------

catullus20@yahoo.com would be fine, it would only take me about 5 minutes to do

and I can make it look good resized even though I messed up on one members icon already, I did make a perfect replacement, but he declined ^^;
EWilson
post #37  on July 22, 2004 - 9:27 AM PDT  
> On July 20, 2004 - 8:41 AM PDT IVLIA wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> And, GC's sub rates are less expensive than NF's: NF's 8-out, for example, was raised in July to $49.99 while GC's is just $39.95.

Unfortunately, that won't be the case for long - I just received my e-mail from DWoo explaining that rates for all plans (except for the 2-disc plan) will be increasing. So my 8-out plan just went up to $49.95, just a tick under Netflix.

But don't get me wrong - I wouldn't trade Greencine for any other DVD rental service out there! It is disappointing that the rates have increased, but as long as that money is used effectively (read: invested back into the DVD collection, both current and future releases), I don't have a problem with it.
MBooth
post #38  on July 22, 2004 - 9:35 AM PDT  
My biggest problem with GC is the turn-around. It may cost the same for NF and GC (around $50 for 8 out for each place, after GCs latest increase), but I live on the east coast. I can easily get twice as many movies with NF than with GC.

The biggest advantage with GC is their anime selection. BUT 90% of them I can never get, since they are yellow-to-red. What good is a selection if you can't get it? It's like being able to go windowshopping, but rarely being able to buy. I may be able to get something I really want eventually, but I will have to wait months-and-months and have to watch other movies I'm less interested in before I get to something I really want.

I'm afraid my time at GC is almost at an end...

> On July 22, 2004 - 9:27 AM PDT EWilson wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On July 20, 2004 - 8:41 AM PDT IVLIA wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > And, GC's sub rates are less expensive than NF's: NF's 8-out, for example, was raised in July to $49.99 while GC's is just $39.95.
>
> Unfortunately, that won't be the case for long - I just received my e-mail from DWoo explaining that rates for all plans (except for the 2-disc plan) will be increasing. So my 8-out plan just went up to $49.95, just a tick under Netflix.
>
> But don't get me wrong - I wouldn't trade Greencine for any other DVD rental service out there! It is disappointing that the rates have increased, but as long as that money is used effectively (read: invested back into the DVD collection, both current and future releases), I don't have a problem with it.
> ---------------------------------

DBooher
post #39  on July 22, 2004 - 10:23 AM PDT  

Netflix painfully raised their prices a while back, like, ten dollars extra. So the eight out plan that used to be 40 bux is now 50. ouch. ow ow my wallet.

I have the same problem w/ greencine. They are so so slow. But they make up for it with their patient employees who take our abuse and ranting er--message boards. Netflix gets to my house a day after I order it and greencine about two or three years. :P

But greencine has COMPLETE anime series' and foreign films that netflix it "too good" to carry; so I subscribe to both. As I've stated many times b4 if ur a movie-aholic (and u got the doe ra me) get netflix for quickness and greencine for quality. Or go to blockbuster and hollywood. Not happy yet? Here: have a cookie.

underdog
post #40  on July 22, 2004 - 10:46 AM PDT  
> On July 22, 2004 - 9:27 AM PDT EWilson wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>
> But don't get me wrong - I wouldn't trade Greencine for any other DVD rental service out there! It is disappointing that the rates have increased, but as long as that money is used effectively (read: invested back into the DVD collection, both current and future releases), I don't have a problem with it.
> ---------------------------------

You have our assurances that this is the primary reason for the (We *Really* Didn't Want to Have to Do This)Price Hike -- a continuing, and now more so, improvement to our inventory. (And we can further assure you it doesn't go into perks, private jets, donations, buying exotic birds for the office, and so forth.)

Thanks for your understanding, sympathy, loyalty, compassion, and movie-geek-a-tude.

Craig of GreenCine
page  1  2  3  4  5  6      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.