GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Feedback
Have suggestions, criticism or praise for the GreenCine community? Post them here. Please maintain a sense of decorum here.
1063

Most DVDs rented in a single month
Topic by: cdaniele
Posted: February 1, 2005 - 7:41 AM PST
Last Reply: February 5, 2005 - 9:59 AM PST

page  1  2      prev | next
author topic: Most DVDs rented in a single month
cdaniele
post #1  on February 1, 2005 - 7:41 AM PST  
Whats the highest number of DVDs you've rented in a single month? And what plan were you on?

Feb 17th will be my first full month being with GreenCine. So far I've rented 7 movies and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to rent 3 more before my next billing. I'm on the standard '3 out at a time' plan. I'm debating whether I should upgrade to the '5 out at a time' for $33 or go with a cheaper service like blockbuster or DVD Avanue.

I know Netflix will put an unofficial limit on those who rent out a lot. Anyone experience anything similar with GC? I'm really curious as to just how many movies you can realistically rent a month.
hamano
post #2  on February 1, 2005 - 7:54 AM PST  
I'm on the 3 out plan, too. Over the past year I think I've gotten between 6 and 10 most months, probably averaging 7 or 8 a month. If I made a real effort I could probably jack that up a bit, but I've got better things to do, apparently. I really don't know if I could watch more films a month without turning it into a chore.
kohnfused1
post #3  on February 1, 2005 - 11:43 AM PST  
16 - 18 on the average. However, barring postal delays, I figured I could get 24 a month. (Which has never happened, at least, I don't think so.) (I'll check my queue, just in case.) That is, again, up to the PO. Of course, it helps if you have a one day turn around.
hamano
post #4  on February 1, 2005 - 1:54 PM PST  
> On February 1, 2005 - 11:43 AM PST kohnfused1 wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> 16 - 18 on the average. However, barring postal delays, I figured I could get 24 a month. (Which has never happened, at least, I don't think so.) (I'll check my queue, just in case.) That is, again, up to the PO. Of course, it helps if you have a one day turn around.
> ---------------------------------

On a 3-out plan? No way!
IronS
post #5  on February 1, 2005 - 2:03 PM PST  
On the 3-out plan during the month of March 2004, I had 22 titles sent out to me. I must have been really bored that month to have watched that many episodes of Ranma and other anime titles.
hamano
post #6  on February 1, 2005 - 2:15 PM PST  
Wow! Twice the bang for the buck! Pretty convincing case for a East Coast Hub, despite what I said in the past....

Of course now that same someone could be hoarding DVDs and holding up other people's queues, so busy with real life to watch just 2 or 3 Inuyasha discs...

In the end it boils down to human behavior... it would be robotic to stick to a more than one movie per day viewing schedule. Even if you start your membership that way, you couldn't possibly keep it up.
woozy
post #7  on February 1, 2005 - 5:17 PM PST  
What about the *fewest* in a month. I guess this month when on the two out plan I rented only two, and on the three out plan on netflix I only rented one. *yawn* ever had one of those apathetic months.
kohnfused1
post #8  on February 2, 2005 - 9:45 AM PST  
> On February 1, 2005 - 1:54 PM PST hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On February 1, 2005 - 11:43 AM PST kohnfused1 wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > 16 - 18 on the average. However, barring postal delays, I figured I could get 24 a month. (Which has never happened, at least, I don't think so.) (I'll check my queue, just in case.) That is, again, up to the PO. Of course, it helps if you have a one day turn around.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> On a 3-out plan? No way!
> ---------------------------------

As "Bill and Ted" would say, "way"!!!

No, really, I just checked my rental history and for the month of January I actually had 22 dvd's rented out. So, I guess my calculation wasn't too far off. Figure this: on a six day (GC) business week...let's say I get 2 disks on Monday, watch that evening and return them Tuesday. Then, on Tuesday I receive 1 disk, return it Wednesday. Wednesday no disks, but GC receives my 2 disks from Monday and sends 2 back, which arrive on Thursday. Rinse, repeat. That totals to 6 disks a week, which totals to 24 disks a month. Tadah!
Background: I don't have cable (by choice) nor do I have internet access (again, by choice), and I only watch a few shows on regular T.V. So, what I get from GC is stuff I actually want to watch and have time for. :)
NLee
post #9  on February 2, 2005 - 10:09 AM PST  
Now we know why GC is reluctant in openning a new East Coast distribution center. East coast customers (who are getting less than 10 movies a month) are essentialy money-cows to GC. This money is used to subsidize customers in the West coast. If every customer is getting 20 movies a months, GC will have to either rise the membership fee, or start throttling discs like Netflix and BlockBuster do.

Time for my John Edwards impression again: "There are two type of people in America: Those who lives in California who can enjoy cheap video rental from GC, and there are the rest of us who have to pay for them."
kohnfused1
post #10  on February 2, 2005 - 10:14 AM PST  
> On February 1, 2005 - 2:15 PM PST hamano wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Wow! Twice the bang for the buck! Pretty convincing case for a East Coast Hub, despite what I said in the past....
>
> In the end it boils down to human behavior... it would be robotic to stick to a more than one movie per day viewing schedule. Even if you start your membership that way, you couldn't possibly keep it up.
> ---------------------------------

Why not? If you look at most of the gripes on the board it's usually about not getting a title (because there's not enough of it) or not getting enough titles (normally due to the PO transport or distance from GC). And then, comes the case for how much we're having to shell out for this service. Then, you have the people threatening to leave because of it. I don't know about everyone else, but I intend to make each penny I pay count. And yes, even it means watching a title every night, why not, isn't that what we paid for? Do most GCer's have the disposable income to pay for the service and not use it to it's fullest extent (if possible)?
kohnfused1
post #11  on February 2, 2005 - 10:22 AM PST  
> On February 2, 2005 - 10:09 AM PST NLee wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Now we know why GC is reluctant in openning a new East Coast distribution center. East coast customers (who are getting less than 10 movies a month) are essentialy money-cows to GC. This money is used to subsidize customers in the West coast. If every customer is getting 20 movies a months, GC will have to either rise the membership fee, or start throttling discs like Netflix and BlockBuster do.
>
> Time for my John Edwards impression again: "There are two type of people in America: Those who lives in California who can enjoy cheap video rental from GC, and there are the rest of us who have to pay for them."
>
> ---------------------------------

That's right cow! Now, get over here so I can milk you for every cent. By the way, great impression. To bad the states didn't turn "blue" for him. :(
dh22
post #12  on February 2, 2005 - 12:26 PM PST  
> That's right cow! Now, get over here so I can milk you for every cent.
> ---------------------------------

Well, being a cow is getting tiresome. That is why so many east coast people quit. And I may soon join them.
kamapuaa
post #13  on February 2, 2005 - 2:52 PM PST  
> In the end it boils down to human behavior... it would be robotic to stick to a more than one movie per day viewing schedule. Even if you start your membership that way, you couldn't possibly keep it up.

Well if you don't watch broadcast TV (I don't have an antenna, and I think many people into movies are the same way), you could watch a couple movies a day and still be at about the national average for watching TV.

Unless it's Bollywood movies, I guess.
IronS
post #14  on February 2, 2005 - 3:07 PM PST  
> On February 2, 2005 - 10:09 AM PST NLee wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Time for my John Edwards impression again: "There are two type of people in America: Those who lives in California who can enjoy cheap video rental from GC, and there are the rest of us who have to pay for them."
>
> ---------------------------------

Well, since GC didn't send me any discs in October and only one in Novemeber, I'd say that I subsidized your rentals for those months, NL. :)
Chamelion
post #15  on February 2, 2005 - 4:38 PM PST  
I'm on the 2 DVD plan, and I'm in the East coast... I'm getting about 6, maybe 8 a month... I work midnights at a job I can actually spend some time watching movies.. So I watch them then and in the morning after work.. send them back out the next day to have more. Most videos I rent are about 90 mins.. and during slow parts of work, and breakfast I can break them out!

And at the price Im paying, I want each rental to be as cheap as it can be.. especially since I have to wait 5 days for each to ship, and 5 for it to get back to them.

I may move up to the five plan and keep them a little longer, but in the end it'll cost me more for the same amount.. I think.

Heh

woozy
post #16  on February 2, 2005 - 5:15 PM PST  
Hmmph, back to the East Coast/West Coast divide gripe again. Time for me to do my Ronald Reagan impression: "Everyone knows 90% of all junk mail comes from Greencine" whoops, that's not the impression I had in mind "If you don't like being an east-coast cash cow I have one thing to say: Move."

Or something like that... don't think GC thinks of you guys as cash cows. I'm not sure to what extent they feel responsible for postage times, probably not at all. I don't think I would either.

But honestly, GC I think has heard everything everyone has had to say on the subject. By the way, californians pay an extra 8%. Not relevant and nothing to be done about that but, like postage time, an existential fact and as the therapist said to Antonia and Jane what you do with it is up to you.

Oh, when oh when will Antonia and Jane be out on DVD?
Misshaped
post #17  on February 3, 2005 - 12:33 AM PST  
I'm on the 2 out plan and the most I've rented in a month is 16. I have no idea where that falls in the spectrum, but I recall it was a good month. I believe I usually average around 10 per month though.
NLee
post #18  on February 3, 2005 - 7:15 AM PST  
> On February 3, 2005 - 12:33 AM PST Misshaped wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I'm on the 2 out plan and the most I've rented in a month is 16. I have no idea where that falls in the spectrum
> ---------------------------------

16 movies a month on a 2-out plan? Even when I was on the 4-out plan with GC, I can never get to that many. It is safe to say that you are near the *OINK* side of the spectrum and I'm closer to the *MOO* side.
markhl
post #19  on February 3, 2005 - 11:02 AM PST  
> On February 3, 2005 - 7:15 AM PST NLee wrote:
> you are near the *OINK* side of the spectrum and I'm closer to the *MOO* side.


Very.. visual NLee. Had a nice guffaw out of that one :)
kohnfused1
post #20  on February 3, 2005 - 11:12 AM PST  
> On February 3, 2005 - 7:15 AM PST NLee wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On February 3, 2005 - 12:33 AM PST Misshaped wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > I'm on the 2 out plan and the most I've rented in a month is 16. I have no idea where that falls in the spectrum
> > ---------------------------------
>
> 16 movies a month on a 2-out plan? Even when I was on the 4-out plan with GC, I can never get to that many. It is safe to say that you are near the *OINK* side of the spectrum and I'm closer to the *MOO* side.
>
> ---------------------------------

The question is, who is on the "moink" side?
page  1  2      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.