GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Feedback
Have suggestions, criticism or praise for the GreenCine community? Post them here. Please maintain a sense of decorum here.
1064

Affiliate Program?
Topic by: originaldiva
Posted: June 3, 2005 - 6:04 PM PDT
Last Reply: June 9, 2005 - 11:21 PM PDT

author topic: Affiliate Program?
originaldiva
post #1  on June 3, 2005 - 6:04 PM PDT  
GreenCine REALLY needs an online affiliate program. Provide the banners and link code, and give members some cash back or membership credits for promoting GreenCine. This has to be one of the cheapest ways to advertise (getting other people to do it for you). I mean, if you gave out $1 for each new member sign up, that is not a bad price to pay for a new customer that may stay on for years and years.

Curious as to why this has not been done yet!

Battie
post #2  on June 3, 2005 - 9:23 PM PDT  
> On June 3, 2005 - 6:04 PM PDT originaldiva wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> GreenCine REALLY needs an online affiliate program. Provide the banners and link code, and give members some cash back or membership credits for promoting GreenCine. This has to be one of the cheapest ways to advertise (getting other people to do it for you). I mean, if you gave out $1 for each new member sign up, that is not a bad price to pay for a new customer that may stay on for years and years.
>
> Curious as to why this has not been done yet!
> ---------------------------------

Prolly cuz we do it for free. ^_^
DLeonard
post #3  on June 4, 2005 - 12:10 PM PDT  
There's that "refer a friend" banner on the left.

Your prize for bringing in new customers is an increase available titles.
originaldiva
post #4  on June 4, 2005 - 12:57 PM PDT  
That's just silly. I have a website that gets a decent amount of traffic, and I'm not going to sit here and type in 1000 names into a refer a friend box. Furthermore, I'm not going to bother my friends with referral spam they did not ask for. Only truly fanatical customers will go out and promote a company just because they like them.

While I appreciate what GreenCine has to offer, it is NOT a charity and if they want to get more business, rewarding people directly for referrals and helping advertise is the *professional* way to go about it. It's just basic Internet Marketing 101.


Battie
post #5  on June 4, 2005 - 4:43 PM PDT  
> On June 4, 2005 - 12:57 PM PDT originaldiva wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> That's just silly. I have a website that gets a decent amount of traffic, and I'm not going to sit here and type in 1000 names into a refer a friend box. Furthermore, I'm not going to bother my friends with referral spam they did not ask for. Only truly fanatical customers will go out and promote a company just because they like them.
>
> While I appreciate what GreenCine has to offer, it is NOT a charity and if they want to get more business, rewarding people directly for referrals and helping advertise is the *professional* way to go about it. It's just basic Internet Marketing 101.
>
> ---------------------------------

...GreenCine has quite a few fanatical fans. ^_^ Actually, when we recommend GC, it's not called promoting. It's called..recommending something we liked. Funny how the internet changes the way people think and act. In the old days (*snicker*), we used ta tell people of good things when we found 'em!

Refer a friend gives them a two-week free trial...and I've gotten at least one person to join up because of that, and beause of just talking about it.

Basically, what you're suggesting is, rather than mention to your friends that you like GC (if you do) just because you like GC, they should pay you to do so. It certainly works in your favor, but people usually only take that kind of suggestion seriously when they know the person isn't profiting from suggesting it.
NarcTed
post #6  on June 5, 2005 - 4:29 PM PDT  
> On June 4, 2005 - 12:57 PM PDT originaldiva wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> That's just silly. I have a website that gets a decent amount of traffic, and I'm not going to sit here and type in 1000 names into a refer a friend box. Furthermore, I'm not going to bother my friends with referral spam they did not ask for. Only truly fanatical customers will go out and promote a company just because they like them.
> ---------------------------------

I don't even have 1000 friends. Also I don't spam my friends with stuff they're not interested in.

I've referred people and friends who were either not satisfied with their current service or were having difficulty finding the titles they wanted. I've reffered many, only maybe 6 have actually trialed and so far only 2 of them are still using Greencine. I'm just being nice. I'm mostly an anime fan and I remember back in the day when I couldn't get anything and would watch my few tapes over and over every week. When I did find a local store, it wasn't long before I had seen everything in the place. Now with Greencine it's just so easy. When I refer people it's because I want them to have it easier than what I had.

I can understand the lack of marketing free trials or an affiliate program. Those kind of operations are what are making up a very large amount of Netflix and Blockbuster's expenses. Many people wonder if it is having giving them reasonable return value.

As a suggestion, would Greencine ever consider setting up a booth at an anime convention? There are quite few in the San Francisco area. Just to see if you can sign some customers to sign up. And you could also get the benefit of enjoying the convention.

originaldiva
post #7  on June 5, 2005 - 10:18 PM PDT  
> On June 4, 2005 - 4:43 PM PDT Battie wrote:
> Basically, what you're suggesting is, rather than mention to your friends that you like GC (if you do) just because you like GC, they should pay you to do so. It certainly works in your favor, but people usually only take that kind of suggestion seriously when they know the person isn't profiting from suggesting it.
> ---------------------------------

No, what I'm saying is, I have a bunch of websites that a bunch of strangers go to, plus a newsletter with thousands of people on it, and yes, you're right, I'd only promote GreenCine to these strangers if I was getting paid for it. Because the purpose of my websites is to make me some money.

Now, if I had a friend ask me which service I used and what I'd recommend, I'd tell them honestly (using both BB and GC) that GC is pricier and has a more eclectic selection, while BB gives you two coupons to use at the store each month, so which service they chose would depend on their needs.

I'm NOT going to sit there and tell them to go spend more money at GC because they need to fight the evil corporate monopoly...or that they should donate money to GC "just because" it's there as an alternative. (I have a friend who does very high quality independent films...why not donate to her directly then?)

Which is to say, it wouldn't hurt GC to do some affiliate marketing if JUST to increase brand recognition out there.

And I disagree with the person who said that Netflix and BB must overspend on their affiliate marketing. Do you have any facts to back that up? Affiliate marketing is the cost of installing the software and paying out the money, and if you set it up right you should more than get a return on your investment on it. (I use affiliate marketing with some of my own web products and I'm only me, one person, and I can afford to do it.)

There seems to be this weird attitude here that somehow if it involves a marketing plan it's a bad thing. It has always been my opinion that green businesses and "alternatives" need to be more aggressive and utilize the marketing techniques bigger companies do. Do it, or be swallowed up and die.

Battie
post #8  on June 5, 2005 - 11:40 PM PDT  
> On June 5, 2005 - 10:18 PM PDT originaldiva wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I'm NOT going to sit there and tell them to go spend more money at GC because they need to fight the evil corporate monopoly...or that they should donate money to GC "just because" it's there as an alternative.
>

I don't either. ^_^ I give them the goods and the bads. I go with GC because it's more user-friendly than the other two, has somewhat better selection with independent/foreign (and certainly with anime), and...well...I have the choice to see an adult film if I so please. I appreciate that choice, even if I never use it (considering I watch hentai...that isn't the case, lol).

> Which is to say, it wouldn't hurt GC to do some affiliate marketing if JUST to increase brand recognition out there.
>
> There seems to be this weird attitude here that somehow if it involves a marketing plan it's a bad thing. It has always been my opinion that green businesses and "alternatives" need to be more aggressive and utilize the marketing techniques bigger companies do. Do it, or be swallowed up and die.
>

No, that's not the attitude. My attitude is that I don't want to hear about a product from a friend, or anyone else for that matter, if they're being paid for it. I see enough commercials as it is. However, if a friend talks to me about something beforehand, and then, once I show interest, refers a two-week free trial to me, I'm more inclined to go with it. One reason some people seem to stay with GC isn't because it's "fighting the good fight," but because it has the feel of a small business. It's why I prefer a individually-owned bookstores more than corporate ones.
NarcTed
post #9  on June 6, 2005 - 12:21 AM PDT  
> On June 5, 2005 - 10:18 PM PDT originaldiva wrote:

> And I disagree with the person who said that Netflix and BB must overspend on their affiliate marketing. Do you have any facts to back that up? Affiliate marketing is the cost of installing the software and paying out the money, and if you set it up right you should more than get a return on your investment on it. (I use affiliate marketing with some of my own web products and I'm only me, one person, and I can afford to do it.)
>
> ---------------------------------

I can't find the original articles I read a year ago. Recently Netflix's greatest threat is the price war with Blockbuster. But basically over 10% of Netflix's subscribers were free subscriber's using the trial. Now if you look at Netflix's annual reports (yes, you can find these things when they are a publicly traded company) Netflix was actually operating at a loss up until 2003. One large criticism was Netflix's high subscriber acquisition costs. (over $45 per subscriber) Many analysts were citing these costs of marketing as up until then Netflix's inability to turn a profit. Recently those costs have gone down and there is a lower percentage of free subscribers. To combat Blockbuster, Netflix has also added TV commercials and other media as forms of advertising. I admit I have been unble to find any public disclosure of what Netflix's affiliate program operating cost is, but one can not deny the fact that it must be part of the marketing budget.
rmarkd
post #10  on June 6, 2005 - 12:04 PM PDT  
> On June 4, 2005 - 12:57 PM PDT originaldiva wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> That's just silly. I have a website that gets a decent amount of traffic, and I'm not going to sit here and type in 1000 names into a refer a friend box. Furthermore, I'm not going to bother my friends with referral spam they did not ask for. Only truly fanatical customers will go out and promote a company just because they like them.
>
> While I appreciate what GreenCine has to offer, it is NOT a charity and if they want to get more business, rewarding people directly for referrals and helping advertise is the *professional* way to go about it. It's just basic Internet Marketing 101.
> ---------------------------------

You can always send GC a personal email asking this. Since this was posted, you'll probably get more user responses, including this one.

Sometime about the above does concern me. I don't think GC wants to do any mass mailings (1000 names) or any sort of thing where the bottom line is to get as much people using their product as possible. Evidence of this is 1) they only have 1 distribution center, 2) they do charge a bit more than NF and BB, 3) They don't advertise (or if they do, sorry guys, I'm not seeing it!)

I think NF and BB do that, and it's just fine for them, but I don't think that not doing that approach is wrong. I think GC's approach is to carve a niche in the DVD rental business by offering anime, esoteric foreign stuff, etc. The provide excellent customer service, as well. For their advertising, I think they want happy customers telling other customers about the service and why they prefer it over NF and BB.

At this point, there seems to be market saturation. Walmart already bowed down to NF, and with NF and BB out there, what need is there to have another of that type of company? If GC wanted to compete with those two, I think they'd fail. So, instead, they have a smaller market, they foster a place where movie fans (and anime fans in particular) find superior selection, and hope that a buzz is created.

Hopefully that rambling made some sense. Never took a marketing class, so I could be totally off.

originaldiva
post #11  on June 8, 2005 - 1:09 AM PDT  
> On June 6, 2005 - 12:04 PM PDT rmarkd wrote:
> At this point, there seems to be market saturation.
> Walmart already bowed down to NF, and with NF and BB out
> there, what need is there to have another of that type of > company? If GC wanted to compete with those two, I think
> they'd fail.

I agree that GC should differentiate themselves and focus on their niche market - an affiliate program is simply an affordable way to do so, by partnering with like-minded websites and people and not having to pay a DIME to advertise unless a customer is converted.

I'm not sure, however, if I agree that there is market saturation yet. This is still relatively new to a lot of people; most of my friends do NOT use these services and still drive to rent videos (and I'm not that old). There may not be room for another huge megalo-service but there's plenty of room for more...the adult business in and of itself (as much as I'm personally not into porn) is probably a huge market that Wal-Mart or BB would never touch.

There are also services that rent out video games three-at-a-time, and some rent games along with videos...I was close to choosing Intelliflix for that reason except they apparently suck really badly.

One thing that is good to see is GC's focus on VOD because they will way ahead of the game on the day that sending out hard-copy DVDs becomes completely obsolete...so it is obvious they've got some good strategic minds thinking back there.

underdog
post #12  on June 8, 2005 - 5:29 PM PDT  
Appreciate the thoughts, everyone. At the risk of poking the skeptics among you, I mean it when I say... We're working on this. Really. A more official affiliate program is in the works, but as you'll see in the months to come, some other things are currently taking a priority here. But we definitely have an interest.

We'd been doing a sort of affiliate program with AlterNet and have been exploring others of that ilk. As well as the more individual "rewards" affiliate program some of you mentioned here.

More in the months to come, I hope.

C
Battie
post #13  on June 8, 2005 - 6:07 PM PDT  
> On June 8, 2005 - 1:09 AM PDT originaldiva wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I'm not sure, however, if I agree that there is market saturation yet. This is still relatively new to a lot of people; most of my friends do NOT use these services and still drive to rent videos (and I'm not that old). There may not be room for another huge megalo-service but there's plenty of room for more...the adult business in and of itself (as much as I'm personally not into porn) is probably a huge market that Wal-Mart or BB would never touch.
>

Oh my. People still do that with regularity? *gasp* I refuse to drive to Blockbuster unless I have free koopuns! And even then, I'm resentful of having to drive back.

Personally, I think with gas prices rising, some people who don't have a Blockbuster or other store right down the block (like me--I'm a mile away from Wal-Mart, Blockbuster, and a bunch of little stores and fast food joints--but luckily, I have me a little mini-forest between me and them, *evil laughter*) will be more interested in DVD-mail programs.

> One thing that is good to see is GC's focus on VOD because they will way ahead of the game on the day that sending out hard-copy DVDs becomes completely obsolete...so it is obvious they've got some good strategic minds thinking back there.
>

I want a rental option that includes like...3-DVDs-out and maybe three VODs per month. Or even just one free. Could be a way to pull the dinosaurs into VODs. I'm still looking at VODs with suspicion myself, but the GC Online Festival makes me wanna join in. *resists* No...money...or....time....

I am sooo cheap. >_>
Battie
post #14  on June 8, 2005 - 6:10 PM PDT  
> On June 8, 2005 - 5:29 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Appreciate the thoughts, everyone. At the risk of poking the skeptics among you, I mean it when I say... We're working on this. Really. A more official affiliate program is in the works, but as you'll see in the months to come, some other things are currently taking a priority here. But we definitely have an interest.
>
> We'd been doing a sort of affiliate program with AlterNet and have been exploring others of that ilk. As well as the more individual "rewards" affiliate program some of you mentioned here.
>
> More in the months to come, I hope.
>
> C
> ---------------------------------

Hey! This made me think. Rewards: free VODs! Hahaha.

Actually, there is some service (MSN?) that offers VOD and movie downloads. GC is just the only one (that I know of) that does VOD and DVD. Clever. *Eddie Izzard impersonation*
originaldiva
post #15  on June 9, 2005 - 11:21 PM PDT  
> On June 8, 2005 - 5:29 PM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Appreciate the thoughts, everyone. At the risk of poking the skeptics among you, I mean it when I say... We're working on this. Really. A more official affiliate program is in the works, but as you'll see in the months to come, some other things are currently taking a priority here. But we definitely have an interest.


Well I for one (having started this thread, grin) say HURRAH to this! Yay!

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.