GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Feedback
Have suggestions, criticism or praise for the GreenCine community? Post them here. Please maintain a sense of decorum here.
1063

Alternate return shipping?
Topic by: jpfingstmann
Posted: July 27, 2005 - 10:55 AM PDT
Last Reply: August 4, 2005 - 12:24 PM PDT

author topic: Alternate return shipping?
jpfingstmann
post #1  on July 27, 2005 - 10:55 AM PDT  
I too have been getting delayed service, but it seems to be between when I drop the DVDs off at the post office and when they get to GreenCine.

I am trying to get a routine of 10 DVDs in before the weekend, out again on Monday to get 10 more back before the weekend (I watch anime part of Saturday and all day Sunday ^_^). I've dropped things off at the Post Office Monday and have had them recieved on Friday! Getting to me only takes 2 days, (Out Wednesday from GC and I have it Friday). Is there anything against sending my DVDs back Priority mail? I'm hoping the Post Office will let me apply the unused stamps from the envolopes toward shipping, since that's $6 in stamps - Priority mail from AZ to CA can't be too expensive.

Any thoughts?
IronS
post #2  on July 27, 2005 - 11:43 AM PDT  
Do you mean mailing the whole lot of them in one Priority Mail mailer? At about 1.5 ounces a piece, 10 discs would be 15 ounces which will still be $3.85 for the lot (since up to 1 lb. is $3.85 anywhere in the US) as long as the Priority Mail mailer is not over 1 ounce. Now, whether they let you use the stamps that are already on the mailer depends on whether you can remove them without damage since the stamps won't be visible from outside the Priority Mail mailer (so they can't count them).

Also, remember that Priority Mail is not guaranteed.
underdog
post #3  on July 27, 2005 - 4:24 PM PDT  
> On July 27, 2005 - 10:55 AM PDT jpfingstmann wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I too have been getting delayed service, but it seems to be between when I drop the DVDs off at the post office and when they get to GreenCine.
>
> I am trying to get a routine of 10 DVDs in before the weekend, out again on Monday to get 10 more back before the weekend (I watch anime part of Saturday and all day Sunday ^_^). I've dropped things off at the Post Office Monday and have had them recieved on Friday! Getting to me only takes 2 days, (Out Wednesday from GC and I have it Friday). Is there anything against sending my DVDs back Priority mail? I'm hoping the Post Office will let me apply the unused stamps from the envolopes toward shipping, since that's $6 in stamps - Priority mail from AZ to CA can't be too expensive.
>
> Any thoughts?
> ---------------------------------


Hi JP,

Priority Mail is not a bad idea if you're going to send a bunch of your discs back at once. We do have some other customers who try this once in awhile.

And yes, as you suggest, one thing you can try, to save yourself money for this, is to peel off the stamps on the GC return mailers, and apply them to a priority envelope. USPS priority mail is $3.85, I believe, so you'll need stamps that add up to that amount. But I'm pretty sure they'll let you use regular stamps on a priority mailer, instead of their priority stamp.

You can also try dropping your discs off at an actual post office to see if that will make things move faster.

You could get really serious and pay to track one shipment. Then let our support know what happened if there are any issues. An expense of course, but to do it once just to say which arm of the USPS is screwing up may be worth it, and then we can help from there.

But hopefully the above two suggestions will take care of it.

Good luck and thanks for your patience with the USPS.

CP
artifex
post #4  on July 28, 2005 - 8:18 AM PDT  
Something else you may want to do is get into the habit of returning the discs the same day that you watch them, if possible. Waiting until the end of the week to do all 10 at once just means you're waiting longer for new ones :)

Oh, and I've been operating on the theory that my local post office only gets one real shipment back and forth with the regional feeder every day. So even dropping the disc off the night before is better than the middle of the day, because you never know when that shipment comes (and goes). Since my post office has signs up saying they try to have all box mail ready by 9:30AM, my guess is it's early in the morning, because they wouldn't get mail in the afternoon and then sit on it. (Shouldn't, anyway) You could probably ask what the schedule is like at yours. Anyway, this sort of thing is one of the reasons why it seems a bad idea to leave your envelopes in your home mailbox, instead of driving by the drop boxes on the way to work, unless your postal worker comes early in the morning :) Perhaps a member here who is also a postal employee could shed some light on this?
NarcTed
post #5  on July 28, 2005 - 10:50 AM PDT  
If you've got 10 DVDs, you can try experimenting by sending one disc each day. Then watch and see if a group from certain days all show up at the same time. Based on that you could find out if your local USPS only delviers to hub distribution points on certain days. Might help you adjust your movie watching schedule for maximum efficiency.
jpfingstmann
post #6  on July 29, 2005 - 4:53 PM PDT  
>At about 1.5 ounces a piece, 10 discs would be 15 ounces
>which will still be $3.85 for the lot (since up to 1 lb. is
>$3.85 anywhere in the US)

Come Monday I will be doing this (or whatever the cheapest option is with tracking).

Here's a thought - I'm not sure how much GC pays for outbound shipping, but since priority mail is actually quite a bit cheaper for returning when returning all 10 discs at once ($3.85 vs. $6.00), maybe GC could offer a "Priority Shipping" service? It could even be done without additional fees for the customer, it would just require that all discs of a subsciption be recieved by GC before they send all back out again (so I would get 10 discs priority mailed to me, I would then send them back and GC would only send me new discs once all 10 have been received back). It might save GC some money and be perfect for people who watch DVDs only on weekends, 10 in via Priority Mail, 10 back out on Monday - maybe GC could put enough stamps for Priority mail in the mailer so the customer could then simply apply them to a new mailer, or if the customer chooses, send the dvds back via regular mail. Oh, as far as costs go, rubber bands are 1 additional cost - to keep the discs in their cardboard sleeves.
kolohe61
post #7  on July 29, 2005 - 5:18 PM PDT  
> On July 28, 2005 - 10:50 AM PDT NarcTed wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> If you've got 10 DVDs, you can try experimenting by sending one disc each day. Then watch and see if a group from certain days all show up at the same time. Based on that you could find out if your local USPS only delviers to hub distribution points on certain days. Might help you adjust your movie watching schedule for maximum efficiency.
> ---------------------------------

If you have a long-wait title you really want to see, I suggest the one-a-day return method. That way you get a shot at it every day, rather than one shot each week.

IronS
post #8  on July 29, 2005 - 5:21 PM PDT  
> On July 29, 2005 - 4:53 PM PDT jpfingstmann wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> >At about 1.5 ounces a piece, 10 discs would be 15 ounces
> >which will still be $3.85 for the lot (since up to 1 lb. is
> >$3.85 anywhere in the US)
>
> Come Monday I will be doing this (or whatever the cheapest option is with tracking).
>

If you print out the Priority Mail shipping label online, then Delivery Confirmation is free (as opposed to 45).

Just so you know, whenever a package is over 13 ounces, it is automatically shipped via Priority Mail instead of First Class.
IronS
post #9  on July 29, 2005 - 5:27 PM PDT  
Yes, I spend a lot of time shipping stuff via Priority Mail. Can't you tell?

Anyway, if you were successful in removing all the stamps off the return mailers, you may want to consider Express Mail which is only $13.65 for up to 1 pound (free tracking and guaranteed 1 day delivery as long as you drop it off in the morning). Save up those stamps and get really fast return service one of these days. :)
jpfingstmann
post #10  on July 29, 2005 - 9:36 PM PDT  
> On July 29, 2005 - 5:27 PM PDT IronS wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Yes, I spend a lot of time shipping stuff via Priority Mail. Can't you tell?

Yeah, not to mention that you're just full of useful information. ;) Thanks ^_^
artifex
post #11  on July 30, 2005 - 2:19 AM PDT  
> On July 29, 2005 - 5:21 PM PDT IronS wrote:
> If you print out the Priority Mail shipping label online, then Delivery Confirmation is free (as opposed to 45).
>
> Just so you know, whenever a package is over 13 ounces, it is automatically shipped via Priority Mail instead of First Class.

nice info, there.
Okay, my last pathetic attempt to give useful help on shipping: if you do save your stamps, you should be able to take them all to the post office and have a clerk credit them towards your package. Or not. Ask, I've seen people go in and stick stamps on cards and get credit back - but I don't remember if they were stamps that had not been stuck yet, or not :)
dpowers
post #12  on July 30, 2005 - 11:41 AM PDT  
also that everyone should know if you buy rolls of stamps, you can also get pretty birds if 100 flags is too many for you.
woozy
post #13  on July 31, 2005 - 10:18 AM PDT  
> And yes, as you suggest, one thing you can try, to save yourself money for this, is to peel off the stamps on the GC return mailers, and apply them to a priority envelope.

Out of curiosity, why *does* GC prestamp rather then use business reply envelopes?
artifex
post #14  on July 31, 2005 - 2:41 PM PDT  
> On July 31, 2005 - 10:18 AM PDT woozy wrote:
> Out of curiosity, why *does* GC prestamp rather then use business reply envelopes?

Isn't there a handling fee involved with that? and a lag in delivery, since they have to go to the counter and pay, or something?
woozy
post #15  on July 31, 2005 - 10:46 PM PDT  
>
> Isn't there a handling fee involved with that?

Maybe. But I always got the impression they might get a business discount.

> and a lag in delivery, since they have to go to the counter and pay, or something?
>
Doubt that. No lag in Netflix delivery or in any other business reply I'v'd used.

Then again I don't know how they work. Anything we mail (rocks, lead, funny shaped balloons) would have to be paid for by the reciever but on the plus side no-one pays for the unused envelopes.
jpfingstmann
post #16  on August 1, 2005 - 4:08 PM PDT  
FYI:
I went to to the post office today to send in my DVDs. It seems like maybe they don't normally do this, but this is how it worked:
1) Fill out To/From info on priority mailer
2) Put all DVDs in protective cardboard into a priority mailer
3) USPS employee takes the return envelopes with the stamps on them and voids them with her stamp and places them inside the priority mailer.
4) USPS employee writes "Postage Inside" and stamps this note with her stamp.
5) USPS employee put some extra tape on it, since it bulges a bit
6) Cross-fingers and see how long to get a delivery confirmation.

If someone else tries this, here's a tip:
Total cost: $4.30 including confirmation (as long as it fits in the mailer, your packaging increases cost)
Stamps needed: 8 or 7 stamps and a dime
Refund for extra postage given: None

I got a receipt back with:
Priority - FR Env
Destination: 94120-7103
Weight: 14.80 oz.
Postage Type: Affixed
Affix. Post.: -4.30
Total Cost: 4:30
Base Rate: 3.85
SERVICES
Delivery Conf (retail) 0.45
Subtotal: 0.00
Total: 0.00

Just so someone knows what to expect, or can tell the postal person what to do (again, since this didn't seem like a standard routine).

I'll let everyone know how it goes, hopefully this will get rid of my shipping delays getting to them.




IronS
post #17  on August 3, 2005 - 3:16 PM PDT  
> On July 29, 2005 - 9:36 PM PDT jpfingstmann wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On July 29, 2005 - 5:27 PM PDT IronS wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > Yes, I spend a lot of time shipping stuff via Priority Mail. Can't you tell?
>
> Yeah, not to mention that you're just full of useful information. ;) Thanks ^_^
> ---------------------------------

You're welcome.

So, has it arrived yet?
artifex
post #18  on August 4, 2005 - 10:13 AM PDT  
Yeah, I think mailing them individually right after you are done with each one makes more sense :)
jpfingstmann
post #19  on August 4, 2005 - 12:24 PM PDT  
> On August 3, 2005 - 3:16 PM PDT IronS wrote:
> So, has it arrived yet?

Yeah, it arrived on Wednesday - which was exactly when I expected it to. I guess since this is an intermittant issue, I'm going to continue sending via priority mail to insure that I will always have anime to watch on the weekends. If I get delayed service from USPS and don't get my next anime in until Monday, then they just sit here until the next weekend when I have a chance to watch again...essentially costing me 10 rentals each time it happens.

P-Chan ^_^

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.