GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Feedback
Have suggestions, criticism or praise for the GreenCine community? Post them here. Please maintain a sense of decorum here.
1063

some improvements to site.
Topic by: artifex
Posted: March 10, 2006 - 11:27 AM PST
Last Reply: July 15, 2007 - 7:11 PM PDT

page  1  2      prev | next
author topic: some improvements to site.
artifex
post #1  on March 10, 2006 - 11:27 AM PST  
I like how, when you look at a multi-disc title, all the discs can be added individually from the one screen. Of course, most of the time we will just add all anyway, but this is still useful. So is being able to see at a glance what the ratings are on the individual discs. This probably will be most helpful with tv or anime series, where quality can vary widely across the set.

I'm also glad a top 10 rentals list was finally added :) Not sure the black bar frames on those tables match the rest of the busy and Christmas-y colored layout, but it's a start.

Also, Raw Sugar is no longer taking up front page real estate. This is good, because even now it's overcrowded. With all the hard selling, it sure looks like you are trying to transition to a DVD store that also rents and does VOD.
Yowanda
post #2  on March 10, 2006 - 11:49 AM PST  
I just have to say that I was rather confused with the new "rent" thing with the multi-disc series. I was looking for the old version with a specific "rent all" button that used to be on the pages. Until I read this thread, I didn't realize that clicking the rent button would take me to a new page listing all the discs. Could be a little clearer.
kohnfused1
post #3  on March 10, 2006 - 1:08 PM PST  
> On March 10, 2006 - 11:49 AM PST Yowanda wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I just have to say that I was rather confused with the new "rent" thing with the multi-disc series. I was looking for the old version with a specific "rent all" button that used to be on the pages. Until I read this thread, I didn't realize that clicking the rent button would take me to a new page listing all the discs. Could be a little clearer.
>
> ---------------------------------

You're telling me. I logged in earlier this morning and thought I had gone to some "ad" riddled site by mistake.
woozy
post #4  on March 10, 2006 - 1:25 PM PST  
It's different and certainly less "high-brow". But as I tend to stop looking at the front page when I return to a site, this does tend to encourage browsing for films (which is actually more difficult than it ought to be on all film sites I've ever seen) so maybe it's good.
theRODabides
post #5  on March 11, 2006 - 1:37 PM PST  
This new look of the front page is really great. When I first started with GC a few months ago, the website seemed to lack a polished refinement. I really like the new fonts and layout. Its super reassuring to see that GC is in a constant effort to improve its service. I have to admit when I switched from the other "Flix" service, I was a bit dissappointed in the GC website. But after dealing with the people at GC and getting used to the site, I am so glad I left. Greencine you continue to amaze me, a company that actually cares about providing good service. You are rare.... now lets toast, swig some champange, and dance.
manuelvillanueva
post #6  on March 11, 2006 - 8:54 PM PST  
> On March 10, 2006 - 11:27 AM PST artifex wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I like how, when you look at a multi-disc title, all the discs can be added individually from the one screen.
> ---------------------------------

This has always been a feature since I joined a year ago (screenshot). It looks like GreenCine is in the middle of implementing changes to their site as this feature is currently missing. I hope they add it back--it's a timesaver for those of us who add volumes one a time.

artifex
post #7  on March 11, 2006 - 11:23 PM PST  
> On March 11, 2006 - 8:54 PM PST manuelvillanueva wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On March 10, 2006 - 11:27 AM PST artifex wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > I like how, when you look at a multi-disc title, all the discs can be added individually from the one screen.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> This has always been a feature since I joined a year ago (screenshot). It looks like GreenCine is in the middle of implementing changes to their site as this feature is currently missing. I hope they add it back--it's a timesaver for those of us who add volumes one a time.

Manuel, if I remember correctly, you had to click each individual one, if you didn't want them all, and then click the rent button on the resulting page. It looks like the NGE titles you used as an example didn't convert yet, but if you look at the Electric Company link I gave, you'll see that now each title in the series now has an add button by it, so you don't have to click each title, then wait for its page to load, then hit rent.

woozy
post #8  on March 12, 2006 - 7:36 PM PST  
If you log out (don't know what happened to my cookies) you get a fairly large ad about the benefits of joining. I'm not sure it's a particularly attractive ad (kind of ugly colors) but then again I'm not the greatest target audience.
underdog
post #9  on March 13, 2006 - 10:09 AM PST  
> On March 11, 2006 - 1:37 PM PST theRODabides wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> This new look of the front page is really great. When I first started with GC a few months ago, the website seemed to lack a polished refinement. I really like the new fonts and layout. Its super reassuring to see that GC is in a constant effort to improve its service. I have to admit when I switched from the other "Flix" service, I was a bit dissappointed in the GC website. But after dealing with the people at GC and getting used to the site, I am so glad I left. Greencine you continue to amaze me, a company that actually cares about providing good service. You are rare.... now lets toast, swig some champange, and dance.
> ---------------------------------


Thanks for the feedback guys! All of you!

Appreciate the warm fuzzies, and also appreciate the suggestions. We'll be adding a note to the FAQ soon, about the way catalog pages for multi-disc sets now work. We think for new customers it's completely intuitive, but for those of you who have been members and used to the old system, we can see how it might take an adjustment.

Remember change can be scary - but is usually good!

But yes, we're always in the process of making the site better and the service the best it can be - we're never satisfied! And again, appreciate the feedback.

Best,
Craig and Team GreenCine
Cugat
post #10  on March 13, 2006 - 10:07 PM PST  
On March 13, 2006 - 10:09 AM PST underdog wrote:
> Remember change can be scary - but is usually good!

"We fear change."
(severed mechanical hand starts wiggling and whirring)
*BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*, ...
*BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*.

> But yes, we're always in the process of making the site better and the service the best it can be - we're never satisfied! And again, appreciate the feedback.

I could pretend I'm satisfied if certain obnoxous points got fixed. It would be illegal for me to make it any easier. :-)
Yowanda
post #11  on March 14, 2006 - 7:52 AM PST  
> On March 13, 2006 - 10:09 AM PST underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Appreciate the warm fuzzies, and also appreciate the suggestions. We'll be adding a note to the FAQ soon, about the way catalog pages for multi-disc sets now work. We think for new customers it's completely intuitive, but for those of you who have been members and used to the old system, we can see how it might take an adjustment.
>

Yeah, I think it would definately be easier for a newbie. We just have to relearn our ways. I think one thing that is confusing is that if I do a search for a multi-disc title, I'm still seeing "title:disc 1", "title:disc2", etc, in the search results. So it would seem like I need to go to each of them in order to rent. There should probably just be one entry for the series. Just something else to clean up, I guess.
manuelvillanueva
post #12  on March 15, 2006 - 6:40 PM PST  
> On March 10, 2006 - 11:27 AM PST artifex wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I like how, when you look at a multi-disc title, all the discs can be added individually from the one screen.

I cannot find the links Artifex speaks of in his post. The only links found are "add to list." What is more important is the ability to add other volumes to your queue. That's why I like GreenCine's web site--I could click my way to the next volume without using the search bar.

Blockbuster Online also makes me use the search bar to add other volumes which I find tedious. Please don't tell me this is how GreenCine is now.
underdog
post #13  on March 16, 2006 - 9:58 AM PST  
Hi Manuel -
Just hit the "rent" button.

If you wish to rent all of the discs, or rent some of the volumes but not all of them: Click the "rent" button. That will bring you to a second page, where you can either click on the "rent all" link, or rent individual volumes. Make sense?

Let us know if you or anyone else here needs more help or has any other questions about this.

Cheers!

CP
maigochan
post #14  on March 16, 2006 - 11:12 AM PST  
Just to clear up any confusion: the new pages that collect multiple rent buttons are only for multi-disc sets (i.e., one title you can buy but many discs you can rent separately). The feature Manuel is talking about linked up several different titles for quick browsing. We had to disable that when we launched the new product page, but we're working on bringing it back.

Hope that helps ...
artifex
post #15  on March 16, 2006 - 12:23 PM PST  
> On March 15, 2006 - 6:40 PM PST manuelvillanueva wrote:
> I cannot find the links Artifex speaks of in his post. The only links found are "add to list." What is more important is the ability to add other volumes to your queue. That's why I like GreenCine's web site--I could click my way to the next volume without using the search bar.

I'm sorry, Manuel - it was my confusion, not yours. I confused "list" with "queue." :( You're right, they should put it all on the same page, again.
manuelvillanueva
post #16  on March 17, 2006 - 7:12 AM PST  
Thanks everyone for the clarification.
MDixon
post #17  on March 19, 2006 - 4:11 PM PST  
just wanted to post this here - it's an email I just sent to GC support

Hello folks-

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the new website and what it offers. I miss the Editor's Top list - it used to be on the right hand side of the screen. Is that discontinued now? I understand that you guys want to sell a lot of videos, but I did like the focus previously on discovering new movies, through the Editor's list or the other feature links, which used to be more prominently displayed. I like having the option to buy videos through you, since my thoughts on supporting GreenCine are similar to my supporting independent book stores and record stores. However, ever since the "recommendations" feature debuted a year and a half or so, and since it seemed to recommend more big studio films than anything else (even though that's predominantly what I *don't* rent from Greencine), I have been a little dismayed at the direction GreenCine has gone. I'd like to see more of a balance, I guess, between the more commercial imperatives and the discovery promotion of great movies which wouldn't show up on my suggestions at N**F***, for example.

Thanks-

Mike Dixon
MDixon

(and - where are the contests? They are very infrequent the past few months)
underdog
post #18  on March 20, 2006 - 7:43 PM PST  
Dear Mike,

Thanks so much for the feedback. We appreciate it. We also want you to be reassured that we have no intention of going away from our strong editorial voice, or from our independent and eclectic leanings. The fact is, of course, that we are just launching the new DVD sales service, which means we're playing around, doing some things differently on the home page, and so forth. Part of this is to give our editorial team more time to be able to review all manner of films, to recommend more undiscovered titles we want you all to find out about, and partly this is to cut as broad a swath through our diverse catalog as we can in one fell swoop. Between the left side nav bar (pull down menu) and the new right side lists and links, we think the mix is now more diverse, actually. But that doesn't mean we want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Currently, as you've noticed, we are still providing a link to all of our Editors' Top Lists - there are so many of those it will take anyone days to look through them all; it sometimes took us days to create them! Will we go back to doing that? We may, indeed. But, again, right now our goal is to show how broad our catalog is, to list many more titles on the home page than just 5 or so in that column, to point out how many titles we have to buy, rent and watch via VOD.

So, in both our newsletter, the Dispatch, and on the site proper (as well as in the GreenCine Daily blog), I think you'll find we'll be pushing even more titles we love. We do hope you'll scroll down on the home page, to see editors' picks in the "What We're Watching" reviews, and in other editorially-chosen sections. These will change every week, sometimes several times a week, and will generally not be your usual Hollywood blockbuster stuff, either. We'll focus on independent studios we like, on international, classic, obscure and independent films we embrace, while pulling out gems from all the wacky genres and subgenres here on GreenCine.

We're also, as part of all this, doing more staff lists (using the member list format), along the lines of our Most Valuable Indies and Best Documentaries lists. You can look for those on the site or specifically under the GreenCineStaff handle.

Lastly, regarding the recommendations engine: Well, no recommendations feature is perfect, but the one on GreenCine is what you make of it. Its usefulness is improved greatly if you help it out, by giving as many films that you've seen as you can a rating so that the recommendations engine both has a better understanding of what you like, and of what you've already seen.

We do value your feedback though and as we continue to experiment our ears (and minds) will always be open.

Thanks again!

Craig,
MDixon
post #19  on March 22, 2006 - 11:52 AM PST  
thanks Craig/Underdog - I appreciate your reading and addressing my comments in such a specific, and helpful, way-

Mike
MDixon
post #20  on March 22, 2006 - 11:54 AM PST  
> On March 22, 2006 - 11:52 AM PST MDixon wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> thanks Craig/Underdog - I appreciate your reading and addressing my comments in such a specific, and helpful, way-
>
> Mike
> ---------------------------------

also - thank YOU for doing such a great job with GC Daily - I can't tell you how many informative articles and sites I have found through it, in addition to finding great movies to look out for-

Mike
page  1  2      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.