GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Feedback
Have suggestions, criticism or praise for the GreenCine community? Post them here. Please maintain a sense of decorum here.
1062

Why is GreenCine's shipping so much slower than NetFlix?
Topic by: beastofbourbon
Posted: February 19, 2003 - 10:13 AM PST
Last Reply: May 16, 2003 - 4:59 PM PDT

page  1  2  3  4  5      prev | next
author topic: Why is GreenCine's shipping so much slower than NetFlix?
beastofbourbon
post #1  on February 19, 2003 - 10:13 AM PST  
I live in San Francisco (GreenCine Country) but it often takes a 5 day turnaround to get my next DVD. When i belonged to NetFlix (San Jose address), I could mail a title back on a Monday morning and have the next title arrive by Tuesday afternoon.

I changed over to greencine because of the better selection (even though the "short wait" flag is a joke!), but what's the deal? Are they understaffed? Not enough copies of titles?

Beast of Bourbon
underdog
post #2  on February 19, 2003 - 10:27 AM PST  
> On February 19, 2003 - 10:13 AM PST beastofbourbon wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I live in San Francisco (GreenCine Country) but it often takes a 5 day turnaround to get my next DVD. When i belonged to NetFlix (San Jose address), I could mail a title back on a Monday morning and have the next title arrive by Tuesday afternoon.
>
> I changed over to greencine because of the better selection (even though the "short wait" flag is a joke!), but what's the deal? Are they understaffed? Not enough copies of titles?
>
> Beast of Bourbon
> ---------------------------------

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about these issues than I will be responding to you soon... But I'm sorry to hear about all this, astounded actually -- no one else in SF has had such slow turnaround time. That's really weird. Have you tried adding your zip+4 number to your account info? That seems to speed things up a great deal. Honestly it usually takes locals only about 2 days to get their discs, so this is very odd...

Signalstation
post #3  on February 19, 2003 - 10:29 AM PST  
I live in Hayward, in the East Bay, and after a title in my queue is shipped I get the disc the next day. Also, I work in SF and tend to return discs from there and they make it back in one day. So the delay you're experiencing seems really strange.
dwhudson
post #4  on February 19, 2003 - 11:07 AM PST  
Maybe your postman has a portable DVD player?

(Sorry... someone will be along with a more serious answer shortly.)
AShields
post #5  on February 19, 2003 - 11:25 AM PST  
I live outside Washington, DC, and I get my next disc about a week to a week and a half after returning the previous disc. Of course, this is to be expected so I'm not complaining. BUT ... I took some advice and added my +4 to my zip code. Only time will tell if that helps a little.

My advice is this: when you enter your zip+4, it will not show in the update screen. In fact, you will be convinced that this extra info cannot be added. Just type it anyway. Once you click update and return to your account page you will see the full zip+4 in your shipping address. Whoever created the form must've goofed.
Dwoodwoo
post #6  on February 19, 2003 - 1:13 PM PST  
Beast, We'll take a look into your issue and try to see what's up. For the vast majority of SF bay area GC members, turnaround time is as fast as it can be -- we all discs the same day received (unless there is a breakage issue, and even those, mostly same day), and the new disk is sent out the same day, Monday through Saturday, except for holidays.

As recommended, zip+4 will help -- I'll have our CRM dept. look at yours to make sure it's there and to fill it in for you if it isn't there. Some of the mysteries of USPS delivery are still unresolvable to us...we can't figure why it takes longer to deliver to the mid-west in some instances than it does to the East Coast, and there seem to be certain mail stops in the Bay Area that take a little longer...yours might be one of them.

Please drop me a line at dwoo@greencine.com if you have any other issues. We do constantly try to improve the service based on feedback.

best regards--

dennis!
Dennis Woo
Managing Partner, GreenCine



> On February 19, 2003 - 10:13 AM PST beastofbourbon wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I live in San Francisco (GreenCine Country) but it often takes a 5 day turnaround to get my next DVD. When i belonged to NetFlix (San Jose address), I could mail a title back on a Monday morning and have the next title arrive by Tuesday afternoon.
>
> I changed over to greencine because of the better selection (even though the "short wait" flag is a joke!), but what's the deal? Are they understaffed? Not enough copies of titles?
>
> Beast of Bourbon
> ---------------------------------

pelikan
post #7  on February 19, 2003 - 1:36 PM PST  
> On February 19, 2003 - 11:25 AM PST AShields wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I live outside Washington, DC, and I get my next disc about a week to a week and a half after returning the previous disc. Of course, this is to be expected so I'm not complaining. BUT ... I took some advice and added my +4 to my zip code. Only time will tell if that helps a little.
>
> My advice is this: when you enter your zip+4, it will not show in the update screen. In fact, you will be convinced that this extra info cannot be added. Just type it anyway. Once you click update and return to your account page you will see the full zip+4 in your shipping address. Whoever created the form must've goofed.
> ---------------------------------

It was deisgned this way, as we pull the zip4 from the USPS if the system can find a match. Probably could be a bit clearer though.
stevewille
post #8  on February 19, 2003 - 2:24 PM PST  
> As recommended, zip+4 will help -- I'll have our CRM dept.

Even with zip+4 the turnaround time I experience in Chicago is a week to a week and a half. It's a bit annoying as I generally blow through my rentals the day I receive them and then I sit around for a week without anything to view. It's forced me to go to Blockbuster a couple times, which disgusts me to no end. Does greencine have only one mail drop/pickup per day? It seems that there is a day's lag between receipt of my dvd's and shipment of the next.
ggsuperhero
post #9  on February 19, 2003 - 2:33 PM PST  
We do AT LEAST 2 mail rounds a day. All DVDs go out the SAME day that one is received from you, we make sure of that. Even if you get your confirmation email saying your DVD has been shipped after 5PM, your DVD will still go out the same day.


>
Does greencine have only one mail drop/pickup per day? It seems that there is a day's lag between receipt of my dvd's and shipment of the next.
> ---------------------------------

stevewille
post #10  on February 19, 2003 - 3:05 PM PST  
> On February 19, 2003 - 2:33 PM PST ggsuperhero wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> We do AT LEAST 2 mail rounds a day. All DVDs go out the SAME day that one is received from you, we make sure of that. Even if you get your confirmation email saying your DVD has been shipped after 5PM, your DVD will still go out the same day.

Good to know. All of my "has been shipped" email notifications have come the day following the confirmation of receipt emails. I guess that, then, is where my confusion lies.

And please lay off the caps on customer service posts. I can read. Caps do not help me read better. Rather, it appears as if you are getting snippy with me.
beastofbourbon
post #11  on February 19, 2003 - 4:37 PM PST  
Thanks for everyone's input. I do have the 4 digit ext on my zip code already, so that's not the issue. I t also seems that others are (and aren't) experiencing the same situation, so it looks like a consistancy issue or possibly a fluke. I do hope that the shipping delays do shorten for you folks out of state. I just hope that service gets faster. As i said NetFlix was twice as fast and had more titles in stock, but less of an independant selection.

your fellow Video Zombie,

Beast of Bourbon
dpowers
post #12  on February 19, 2003 - 5:10 PM PST  
i'm in SF and i get faster results with greencine than i got with netflix - we're not in the same zip code, neither - but to get overnight results from SF to/fro san jose, via first class mail, that's a total fluke, maybe you're close to some north-south pickup point or something - dp.
Dwoodwoo
post #13  on February 19, 2003 - 5:29 PM PST  
Stevewille--

ggsuperhero has been in the office fretting about seeming snippy because of the caps. ;) Just excited that's all...It's how we know she isn't a just a bot (right gg? gg: "right...zzzt...RIGHT...zzzt...") In any case, sorry about that, chief!

best regards--

dennis!
Dennis Woo
Managing Partner, GreenCine


> On February 19, 2003 - 3:05 PM PST stevewille wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On February 19, 2003 - 2:33 PM PST ggsuperhero wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> > We do AT LEAST 2 mail rounds a day. All DVDs go out the SAME day that one is received from you, we make sure of that. Even if you get your confirmation email saying your DVD has been shipped after 5PM, your DVD will still go out the same day.
>
> Good to know. All of my "has been shipped" email notifications have come the day following the confirmation of receipt emails. I guess that, then, is where my confusion lies.
>
> And please lay off the caps on customer service posts. I can read. Caps do not help me read better. Rather, it appears as if you are getting snippy with me.
> ---------------------------------

ggsuperhero
post #14  on February 19, 2003 - 6:03 PM PST  
i'm debating on changing my username to either of the following:

ggsuperbot
ggsupersnippy
ggsupersorry

seriously, i apologize .. didnt mean to seem snippy. shake hands? :)

zzzzttt.... zzzttt...



> ---------------------------------
> Stevewille--
>
> ggsuperhero has been in the office fretting about seeming snippy because of the caps. ;) Just excited that's all...It's how we know she isn't a just a bot (right gg? gg: "right...zzzt...RIGHT...zzzt...") In any case, sorry about that, chief!
>
> best regards--
>
> dennis!
> Dennis Woo
> Managing Partner, GreenCine
JHeath
post #15  on February 20, 2003 - 8:22 AM PST  
How do you enter your zip+4? When I click on "Your Account" the zip field doesn't allow more than 5 characters?
stevewille
post #16  on February 20, 2003 - 9:40 AM PST  
> On February 19, 2003 - 6:03 PM PST ggsuperhero wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> seriously, i apologize .. didnt mean to seem snippy. shake hands? :)

Very bold of you to apologize. Apology accepted. Having worked a few years in retail management, I do realize that it must get frustrating to have a Feedback board in which most people neglect to mention the strengths of greencine, so I'll throw in my two cents:

GreenCine has very easily THE BEST dvd rental selection I have ever seen!

(note my caps!)

steve
lotusnug
post #17  on February 21, 2003 - 2:01 AM PST  
I live in the Midwest & unless most of your members
are in the west coast, it would make sense to have
a mail room receiving dept. in the Mid west.
Not only would we in the middle benefit, as would the
east coaster members as well. That's the only thing
I loved about number slate, they had their films to me
in 2 days. I am sure sending DVD's from NYC to KC
is much quicker than them going all the way to San
Fran & back. Have u folks thought about this?????

lotusnug
pelikan
post #18  on February 21, 2003 - 9:15 AM PST  
> On February 20, 2003 - 8:22 AM PST JHeath wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> How do you enter your zip+4? When I click on "Your Account" the zip field doesn't allow more than 5 characters?
> ---------------------------------


Just change your address and enter in the information as USPS friendly as possible. On the submit we send the info to the USPS who attempts to match it with a zip4 (there isn't a way to manually put in your zip4).
glamarama
post #19  on February 21, 2003 - 3:47 PM PST  
I'm in Palo Alto and I (usually) get mine the day after I get a ship notice. Maybe it has to do with everyone's local post offices? Just my 2 cents...
-jk
AKrizman
post #20  on February 21, 2003 - 4:22 PM PST  
> would make sense to have
> a mail room receiving dept. in the Mid west.

If you guys ever want to set up a hub in Denver I volunteer to be Shipping Monkey for the Rocky Mountain Hub!
page  1  2  3  4  5      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.