GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Feedback
Have suggestions, criticism or praise for the GreenCine community? Post them here. Please maintain a sense of decorum here.
1063

Why is GreenCine's shipping so much slower than NetFlix?
Topic by: beastofbourbon
Posted: February 19, 2003 - 10:13 AM PST
Last Reply: May 16, 2003 - 4:59 PM PDT

page  1  2  3  4  5      prev | next
author topic: Why is GreenCine's shipping so much slower than NetFlix?
SRhodes
post #41  on February 24, 2003 - 3:21 PM PST  

Chicago is notorious for having an awful postal system.

There literally was an expose years ago showing stacks of undelivered mail, even some that had been "lost" for years.

I think it has improved since then, but it still isn't a model.
Rreilly
post #42  on February 24, 2003 - 5:56 PM PST  
> On February 24, 2003 - 3:21 PM PST SRhodes wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>
> Chicago is notorious for having an awful postal system.
>
> There literally was an expose years ago showing stacks of undelivered mail, even some that had been "lost" for years.
>
> I think it has improved since then, but it still isn't a model.
> ---------------------------------
Thats why I think 4 days is a good turn around for the midwest. I also noticed that if I brought my return directly to the post office it would be recived by GC in 2 or 3 days, if I drop it in the corner mailbox it takes alot longer.
AShields
post #43  on February 25, 2003 - 7:21 PM PST  
Well, I think adding the +4 to my zip code worked.

After adding the +4, the next two movies sent out to me were shipped on the 22nd (a Saturday) and arrived here on the 25th (a Tuesday).

Considering that I'm located outside Washington, DC, I'd say a two business-day delivery is pretty good. In fact, that's about the same delivery time I had when I was with Netflix - which has a distribution center on the other side of DC (in other words, a local source).

Here's hoping that all future shipments are just as fast. And that the shipment back to GC is also just as fast.

My experience helps confirm it - zip+4 helps delivery time.
rrt9232
post #44  on February 25, 2003 - 11:27 PM PST  
Has anyone else had a problem. In the 1 and Half months I have been a member(2 movies were lost in the mail on the way to me. 4 movies seen to have been lost on the way back to You and 1 was Boken by the post office. I live on the east coast and have the 8 out program and for the most part I recieve the movies in 2-3 days. I find that great. but the above problems have to go. at that rate on my 1st year with the plan in jan. 2004 I'd have 12 dvd's lost on the way. 24 lost on the way back and 6 broken
bnomoto
post #45  on February 26, 2003 - 9:10 AM PST  
Well, I just tried adding the +4 to my zip code in my account info page and the shipping address section wouldn't allow me to add more than 5 numbers for my zip. So how did you do this?

> On February 25, 2003 - 7:21 PM PST AShields wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Well, I think adding the +4 to my zip code worked.
>
> After adding the +4, the next two movies sent out to me were shipped on the 22nd (a Saturday) and arrived here on the 25th (a Tuesday).
>
> Considering that I'm located outside Washington, DC, I'd say a two business-day delivery is pretty good. In fact, that's about the same delivery time I had when I was with Netflix - which has a distribution center on the other side of DC (in other words, a local source).
>
> Here's hoping that all future shipments are just as fast. And that the shipment back to GC is also just as fast.
>
> My experience helps confirm it - zip+4 helps delivery time.
> ---------------------------------

ggsuperhero
post #46  on February 26, 2003 - 9:41 AM PST  
Hi,

Here are Pelikan's instructions regarding adding Zip+4: (it's automated by USPS)

Just change your address and enter in the information as USPS friendly as possible. On the submit we send the info to the USPS who attempts to match it with a zip4 (there isn't a way to manually put in your zip4).



> ---------------------------------
> Well, I just tried adding the +4 to my zip code in my account info page and the shipping address section wouldn't allow me to add more than 5 numbers for my zip. So how did you do this?
AShields
post #47  on February 26, 2003 - 1:50 PM PST  
Actually, I did enter the +4 manually.

The field in the update screen only *shows* five digits, but if you type the full 8 plus the hyphen it will appear in your account info screen after you commit your change. Strange, I know, but it seems to work.

Try it and let us know how it worked for you.
bnomoto
post #48  on February 27, 2003 - 12:41 PM PST  
Nope. Still didn't work. Didn't show up as I was typing, didn't show up afterwards either.

> On February 26, 2003 - 1:50 PM PST AShields wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> Actually, I did enter the +4 manually.
>
> The field in the update screen only *shows* five digits, but if you type the full 8 plus the hyphen it will appear in your account info screen after you commit your change. Strange, I know, but it seems to work.
>
> Try it and let us know how it worked for you.
> ---------------------------------

pelikan
post #49  on February 27, 2003 - 2:52 PM PST  
bnomoto. i manually in your zip4. the usps thingy didn't seem to like the way the apt stuff was written. unfortunately we have no control over that. so if anybody is having a similar problem email pelikan@eLine.com with your screen name, and I'll take care of it (But please, try it first).
bnomoto
post #50  on February 27, 2003 - 3:58 PM PST  
I appreciate your efforts, but I don't think you did it right. My zip code is 94709-2084. I checked out my account just now and all that was there was "2084". I changed it back to 94709.

> On February 27, 2003 - 2:52 PM PST pelikan wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> bnomoto. i manually in your zip4. the usps thingy didn't seem to like the way the apt stuff was written. unfortunately we have no control over that. so if anybody is having a similar problem email pelikan@eLine.com with your screen name, and I'll take care of it (But please, try it first).
> ---------------------------------

pelikan
post #51  on February 27, 2003 - 4:04 PM PST  
ugh, my bad. tried to do it as I was getting pulled into a meeting. done correctly now, I'm glad you caught it.
msilenus
post #52  on February 28, 2003 - 12:48 PM PST  
Well I live near Boston and I find that it takes a while for the DVDs to get back to Cali but that once they receive them it takes sometimes less than 2 days after I get my confirmation email for them to arrive. Opposite coast yet it doesnt take that long. This site has a fantastic selection too. My friends ask me why I dont do Netflix and I reply that after seeing their decrepid selection (unless you like Hollywood teen garbage) I ended up here lol.
aacevedo
post #53  on February 28, 2003 - 5:26 PM PST  
(this is an unsolicited testimonial)

i live 3000 miles away from GC in a backwater town and my DVD's get to me in about 60 hrs. that's about 50/mph (ok math is not my best forte). NetFlix has a hub 100 miles from me and they take about 36 hrs to get to me. that's about 2.7/mph.

a trick i learned is to go to the local POST MASTER where you drop off your DVD's and ask what is the mail routing path. there are often 3 points that your mail must be routed to before it hits the main point of transport. you may be able to cut out 1 of the "middle men"by going to a drop off point that has a more direct path.

i am very satisfied thus far and hope that all those who have shipping problems can resolve them via their local postal service or GC and if by all these comments GC can improve their service, i await the improvements.
jaquestati
post #54  on March 1, 2003 - 5:51 AM PST  
> On February 24, 2003 - 3:21 PM PST SRhodes wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>
> Chicago is notorious for having an awful postal system.
>
> There literally was an expose years ago showing stacks of undelivered mail, even some that had been "lost" for years.
>
> I think it has improved since then, but it still isn't a model.
> ---------------------------------

isn't Chicago where John Prine used to keep the mail for weeks and even throw it in piles and sleep on it before Ebert spotted him in a bar singin?
Ffperson
post #55  on March 3, 2003 - 9:48 PM PST  
I think something is going on at usps. I usually get DVDs the next day after Greencine says they shipped them. I trust GreenCine's emails about date shipped, I have two dvds that were shipped on afternoon of 2/27 Thursday, and they didn't arrive on Friday... Saturday or Monday (Today!)

The reason this is surprising is because I'm in the same zip code as Greencine! USPS's performance here is unacceptable.
snafu
post #56  on March 7, 2003 - 3:20 PM PST  
I've been having issues with USPS as well, dropped 3 dvds off, GC got 2 of them the next day and the last one took 5 extra days. About a month ago they shipped me 3 dvds and none of them showed up, after a week I emailed them and they simply marked them as returned and moved my queue along. I appreciate that but it sucks that the DVDs have gone missing. I never had any of those problems with netflix but their selection was just sad. Hopefully these problems will resolve themselves soon. I am still a very happy customer, it's the easiest way I have found to get my anime fix.

> On March 3, 2003 - 9:48 PM PST Ffperson wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I think something is going on at usps. I usually get DVDs the next day after Greencine says they shipped them. I trust GreenCine's emails about date shipped, I have two dvds that were shipped on afternoon of 2/27 Thursday, and they didn't arrive on Friday... Saturday or Monday (Today!)
>
> The reason this is surprising is because I'm in the same zip code as Greencine! USPS's performance here is unacceptable.
>
> ---------------------------------

photographer
post #57  on March 14, 2003 - 5:54 PM PST  
My experience in San Jose, CA -- turnaround is the same as with netflix (still have both accounts). Their confirmation emails comes couple hours earlier.
But who cares about their emails... :)
markhl
post #58  on March 28, 2003 - 5:07 PM PST  
Since I didn't hear any people from philly comment, just wanted to say that GC is about 2-3 times slower than NetFlix from my end of things. I'll try adding the +4 zip as other people have commented and see if it improves...
ooevans
post #59  on April 5, 2003 - 7:29 AM PST  
> On February 19, 2003 - 10:13 AM PST beastofbourbon wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I live in San Francisco (GreenCine Country) but it often takes a 5 day turnaround to get my next DVD. When i belonged to NetFlix (San Jose address), I could mail a title back on a Monday morning and have the next title arrive by Tuesday afternoon.
>
> I changed over to greencine because of the better selection (even though the "short wait" flag is a joke!), but what's the deal? Are they understaffed? Not enough copies of titles?
>
> Beast of Bourbon
> ---------------------------------

im in melo park 94025 and had the same problem until i found a "express" mail box now i get next dvd in about 3 days , bitchin!
jlusby
post #60  on April 14, 2003 - 1:28 AM PDT  
I have this same problem. I recently did trials at both Netflix and Greencine... I am in Oregon. It would take 2 days for me to receive my DVDs from Netflix, while it would take 4 days for me to receive them from Greencine... I am now in my first paid trial with GC, because of their better selection, but I still have this SLOW shipping problem. I am on the west coast, not too far from San Francisco, I have the +4 on my zipcode, but it still takes FOUR days for me to receive my dvds... seems a bit odd considering I'm so close.
page  1  2  3  4  5      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.