GREEN CINE Already a member? login
 Your cart
Help
Advanced Search
- Genres
+ Action
+ Adult
+ Adventure
+ Animation
+ Anime
+ Classics
+ Comedies
+ Comic Books
+ Crime
  Criterion Collection
+ Cult
+ Documentary
+ Drama
+ Erotica
+ Espionage
  Experimental/Avant-Garde
+ Fantasy
+ Film Noir
+ Foreign
+ Gay & Lesbian
  HD (High Def)
+ Horror
+ Independent
+ Kids
+ Martial Arts
+ Music
+ Musicals
  Pre-Code
+ Quest
+ Science Fiction
  Serials
+ Silent
+ Sports
+ Suspense/Thriller
  Sword & Sandal
+ Television
+ War
+ Westerns


Public Discussions

topics
GreenCine General
Feedback
Have suggestions, criticism or praise for the GreenCine community? Post them here. Please maintain a sense of decorum here.
1062

Which "orange" availability titles are you waiting for?
Topic by: Phasmatrope
Posted: July 16, 2009 - 4:28 PM PDT
Last Reply: September 15, 2010 - 1:37 PM PDT

page  1  2      prev | next
author topic: Which "orange" availability titles are you waiting for?
Phasmatrope
post #1  on July 16, 2009 - 4:28 PM PDT  
Hope I'm okay to ask this, I was just curious to get an idea of who's been waiting for an "orange"-availability title for some time.

Guess I just felt compelled to ask since it seems like a lot of the "orange" titles are almost as limited as the "red" ones! (I know some of my "reds" recently switched to "unavailable" status, which was actually a bit more helpful to know). Not to seem impatient, but needless to say there are some I've been really looking forward to seeing, and I'd just like to get some perspective to help determine the practicality of waiting vs. the immediacy of just renting 'em from my local video store.

Anyway I know some of the ones I've been after have included:

*WR: Mysteries of the Organism
*Killer Of Sheep
*Nadja
*Even Dwarves Started Small
*Enigma of Kasper Hauser (know this is a "Core Rental," just don't know how many lists it must be on to determine that)
*Putney Swope
*Films of Kenneth Anger, vol. 2
*Eugenie
Cinenaut
post #2  on July 16, 2009 - 8:34 PM PDT  
"Angel-A"

Is this movie any good? Should I even bother?
shiftless
post #3  on July 16, 2009 - 9:07 PM PDT  
too many orange titles to list, but some I've had near the top of my queue for quite some time are:

Vision of Escaflowne Vol. 1: Dragons & Destiny (2000)

Not Gay (2008)

Resident Evil: Degeneration (2008)

Crossing the Bridge: The Sound of Istanbul (2005)
Phasmatrope
post #4  on July 17, 2009 - 11:01 AM PDT  
> On July 16, 2009 - 9:07 PM PDT shiftless wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> too many orange titles to list, but some I've had near the top of my queue for quite some time are:
>
> Vision of Escaflowne Vol. 1: Dragons & Destiny (2000)
>
> Not Gay (2008)
>
> Resident Evil: Degeneration (2008)
>
> Crossing the Bridge: The Sound of Istanbul (2005)
> ---------------------------------

Hmm, well maybe someone can help clarify this: it almost seems that the color-availability meter is itself fairly unreliable; I've had lower-numbered Yellows that I've gotten before Blues, then Greens that are also lower in my queue that I've gotten before Greens that are higher (a Green at #3 was skipped today in favor of a Green at #13).

I suppose the idea is that regardless of whether that title may be Green (or Blue) or not, there simply may still be people who are ahead of you that have those higher in their own queues? (their number #1's or 2's....?)
shiftless
post #5  on July 17, 2009 - 11:52 AM PDT  
> I suppose the idea is that regardless of whether that title may be Green (or Blue) or not, there simply may still be people who are ahead of you that have those higher in their own queues? (their number #1's or 2's....?)
> ---------------------------------

Well speaking only for myself, I'm pretty diligent about signing up for new stuff every Tuesday, so I shouldn't be all that far down the priority list. Considering how long some of these have been in my queue, my impression is that there a very few copies left in circulation, or there were never that many to begin with. Visions of Escaflown Vol. 1 for example is orange, but every other volume in the series is green so it can't be all that popular and I think it's been in my queue (not necessarily at the top of it) for over a year.

Phasmatrope
post #6  on July 17, 2009 - 3:36 PM PDT  
> On July 17, 2009 - 11:52 AM PDT shiftless wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > I suppose the idea is that regardless of whether that title may be Green (or Blue) or not, there simply may still be people who are ahead of you that have those higher in their own queues? (their number #1's or 2's....?)
> > ---------------------------------
>
> Well speaking only for myself, I'm pretty diligent about signing up for new stuff every Tuesday, so I shouldn't be all that far down the priority list. Considering how long some of these have been in my queue, my impression is that there a very few copies left in circulation, or there were never that many to begin with. Visions of Escaflown Vol. 1 for example is orange, but every other volume in the series is green so it can't be all that popular and I think it's been in my queue (not necessarily at the top of it) for over a year.

> ---------------------------------

Over a YEAR?? Wow (although I think I saw that someone on here had waited 3 years for an item). Man, it's times like this that I wish I had an idea of just how many other users there are on here, how many of us we're competing against... granted there's a lot of great stuff on here that would probably assure my patronage to some degree, but at the same time, it's hard to imagine being so patient for such things...!
janeskid
post #7  on July 18, 2009 - 9:36 AM PDT  
> On July 16, 2009 - 4:28 PM PDT Phasmatrope wrote:
> ---------------------------------
... I was just curious to get an idea of who's been waiting for an "orange"-availability title for some time. ...
> ---------------------------------

I select older foreign titles almost exclusively so at any time I might have half my queue red/orange/yellow/blue. At a quick glance I'm guessing half of these or orange. I sometimes have to go looking for green titles or otherwise I might get nothing.

BTW. At that other site, the red one. We get the feeling that the older foreign titles are increasingly showing up as "unavailable". There might be a niche here for GreenCine. On second thought is there any money in this? Everyone seems to be curiously obsessed with now and new and instant viewing.
Phasmatrope
post #8  on July 18, 2009 - 4:51 PM PDT  
> On July 18, 2009 - 9:36 AM PDT janeskid wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> > On July 16, 2009 - 4:28 PM PDT Phasmatrope wrote:
> > ---------------------------------
> ... I was just curious to get an idea of who's been waiting for an "orange"-availability title for some time. ...
> > ---------------------------------
>
> I select older foreign titles almost exclusively so at any time I might have half my queue red/orange/yellow/blue. At a quick glance I'm guessing half of these or orange. I sometimes have to go looking for green titles or otherwise I might get nothing.
>
> BTW. At that other site, the red one. We get the feeling that the older foreign titles are increasingly showing up as "unavailable". There might be a niche here for GreenCine. On second thought is there any money in this? Everyone seems to be curiously obsessed with now and new and instant viewing.
>
> ---------------------------------


I don't know, but you'd think that could be a wise business decision, wouldn't it? For these movies that are OOP, red, or even orange availability, that they'd make those "instant viewing." That way, if one of those titles doesn't get returned, everyone lower in the queue for it wouldn't be SOL-disappointed, and there wouldn't be as much rush to find/invest in a replacement copy. Like myself, I was really excited before joining Greencine when I learned that the OOP cult film "Begotten"--which was always a "Save"d item during my tenure with "the other guys"--was available for rent, then terribly disappointed when it went out of circulation (frankly I myself even wonder if any of the "red" titles I have in my queue are actually even circulating...).

I think it would also help insure that people wouldn't defect to/open joint accounts with competing services just to watch those rare titles.
NarcTed
post #9  on July 20, 2009 - 12:18 AM PDT  
Haruhi Suzumiya Volume 2
Gurren Lagann Volume 3
Ouran High Host Club Part 2 Disk 1. I'm just going to finish the series watching it on Funimation's website.
FGaipa
post #10  on July 20, 2009 - 8:29 AM PDT  
Genshiken 2, Vol. 1 (2007)

Real Fiction (2000)

A Thousand Years of Good Prayers (2007)

Cinema16: European Short Films (Disc 2 of 2) (2007)

Claire Dolan (1998)

En La Cama (In Bed) (2005)

Last Holiday (Criterion Essential Art House Collection) (1950)

The Air I Breathe (2007)

3 Films by Shoehei Imamura: Pigs and Battleships (1961)

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Criterion) (1973)

Speed Racer (2008)

Aki Kaurismaki's Proletariat Trilogy: Shadows in Paradise (Disc 1 of 3) (1986)

He's Just Not That Into You (2009)

Tokyo Gore Police (2008)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008)

Role Models (Unrated/Rated) (2008)

I.O.U.S.A. (2008)

The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)

The Pope's Toilet (2007)

Martyrs (2008)

Au Bonheur des Dames (1929)

The Hit (Criterion) (1984)

Nothing But the Truth (2008)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Criterion [surely this isn't Criterion?!]) (2008)

Last Chance Harvey (2008)

Ghost Slayers Ayashi, Pt. 1 (2006)

Of Time and the City (2008)

S. Darko: A Donnie Darko Tale (2009)

Taken (2008)

Girl on a Motorcycle (1968)

True Blood: Season 1 (Disc 1 of 5) (2008)

Phillippe Garrel x 2: I Can No Longer Hear the Guitar

Walden: Diaries, Notes, and Sketches by Jonas Mekas

Resolved (2007)

Knowing (2009)

Freedom: Complete Collection (Disc 1 of 2) (2006)

Grey Gardens (2009)

(In other words, way more than I have green, red, or blue and slightly less than I have yellow.)

fg
FGaipa
post #11  on July 20, 2009 - 8:40 AM PDT  
Genshiken 2, though, is misleading. Amazon shows an August 29, 2009, release date and in my saved list in another queue it's availability is "Unknown". I'd be very surprised if there aren't several such cases in my long, long oranges list.

fg

underdog
post #12  on July 22, 2009 - 11:34 AM PDT  
hi guys and gals (and batmen),

We can take a look at the individual titles mentioned here and at your queues as well to see what we can do or to investigate any other reasons why some of these titles are not turning over, but it is true that there are some specific titles that have limited availability right now. And for those we advise patience and thank you for yours. There are still thousands upon thousands of titles that are showing as readily available (green) right now, too. And we do pride ourselves with having copies of some of the rarer titles as one of you mentioned above. We'll what we can to pump up the harder to get titles, when possible, and in the meantime, again, we appreciate your patience and also suggest mixing things up in your queue, looking around the site for other items you'll be able to get
much sooner. (Feel free to ping us for suggestions if you're stuck!)

all the best,

underdog and Team GreenCine
Phasmatrope
post #13  on July 22, 2009 - 2:46 PM PDT  
> On July 22, 2009 - 11:34 AM PDT underdog wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> hi guys and gals (and batmen),
>
> We can take a look at the individual titles mentioned here and at your queues as well to see what we can do or to investigate any other reasons why some of these titles are not turning over, but it is true that there are some specific titles that have limited availability right now. And for those we advise patience and thank you for yours. There are still thousands upon thousands of titles that are showing as readily available (green) right now, too. And we do pride ourselves with having copies of some of the rarer titles as one of you mentioned above. We'll what we can to pump up the harder to get titles, when possible, and in the meantime, again, we appreciate your patience and also suggest mixing things up in your queue, looking around the site for other items you'll be able to get
> much sooner. (Feel free to ping us for suggestions if you're stuck!)
>
> all the best,
>
> underdog and Team GreenCine
> ---------------------------------

Thanks Underdog. Yeah the main thing I'm still confused over is why I'll have some Blue and Green titles higher in my queue that have been skipped over for Green and even Yellow ones lower in my queue.

But yeah, if you guys do plan to move into having more "Instant Viewing" on here--ESPECIALLY for those rarer Red & Orange titles!--that could definitely give you an edge over "the other guys"!!
FGaipa
post #14  on July 22, 2009 - 8:30 PM PDT  
This "surprise factor" is one thing I now appreciate about GC. I stopped seriously ordering my GC queue quite a while back.

fg

> On July 22, 2009 - 2:46 PM PDT Phasmatrope wrote:
> ---------------------------------
Thanks Underdog. Yeah the main thing I'm still confused over is why I'll have some Blue and Green titles higher in my queue that have been skipped over for Green and even Yellow ones lower in my queue.




waves1
post #15  on July 23, 2009 - 7:41 PM PDT  
ORANGE:

The Blood of a Poet 1930,

Eyes of the Spider (Kumo no Hitomi) 1997,

Nostalghia 1983,

Sensitive Pornograph 2005,

The Unvanquished (Aparajito) 1956,

Conspirators of Pleasure 1996,

Mon Oncle Antoine 1971, and

Iggy and the Stooges: Live in Detroit.

Tenderness of the Wolves just went from red to green!!
weezy
post #16  on July 24, 2009 - 1:57 PM PDT  
I'll look into these, guys - look out dvd hoggers, an email from weeezy's a- comin'!

And hi waves1 - nice to meet you *waves*
Phasmatrope
post #17  on July 24, 2009 - 2:15 PM PDT  
> On July 24, 2009 - 1:57 PM PDT weezy wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I'll look into these, guys - look out dvd hoggers, an email from weeezy's a- comin'!
>
> And hi waves1 - nice to meet you *waves*
> ---------------------------------


Yeah please Weezy thank you; I recognize a couple of these myself that are also in my queue (but then, I'm a new user. I can only imagine how long they've been waiting for them...)
weezy
post #18  on August 5, 2009 - 11:31 AM PDT  
> But yeah, if you guys do plan to move into having more "Instant Viewing" on here--ESPECIALLY for those rarer Red & Orange titles!--that could definitely give you an edge over "the other guys"!!
> ---------------------------------

We would love to make some VOD options available, and it's a project that's in the works. In the meant time, there are a couple of really cool sites online that provide online viewing on the cheap, or even better, free.

The Auteurs for Criterion titles, streaming as low as $5. We ran a podcast interview with Scorcese over at the Daily in which they discuss the aims of WCF/the Auteurs.
Snag Films for free docs.
And here's a list of a few more, via Film Studies for Free.

I'm curious - any of you have any other internet outlets you use to view movies online? This is of course a supplement to your completely rad GreenCine subscription ;)
NarcTed
post #19  on August 7, 2009 - 12:50 AM PDT  
I'm catching a lot of anime on Hulu, Joust, and Funimation.

Austin Public Library just got all of Haruhi Suzumiya, so I've dropped it from my Greencine queue. Don't worry, I've got plenty on my Greencine queue.
Phasmatrope
post #20  on April 5, 2010 - 7:56 PM PDT  
> On August 7, 2009 - 12:50 AM PDT NarcTed wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I'm catching a lot of anime on Hulu, Joust, and Funimation.
>
> Austin Public Library just got all of Haruhi Suzumiya, so I've dropped it from my Greencine queue. Don't worry, I've got plenty on my Greencine queue.
> ---------------------------------

Just as an update, of the "orange"s that were here on my list (and other peoples'), since joining here last June, so far the following have finally arrived:

"Putney Swope"
"Girl On A Motorcycle"
"Nostalghia"
"Eugenie"

Some of 'em (or yours) I've rented from or seen at my own public library system, both here in L.A. and elsewhere, like "Kasper Hauser," "Taken," "Role Models," "Benjamin Button," "Boy In The Striped...," "Knowing," "Speed Racer," "The Air I Breathe," "Blood of a Poet," etc. (yes, your public library is a greater resource than you realize...!)

All the same, there will ALWAYS be obscure/cult-type stuff our there that I will want to rent from GC. :)
page  1  2      prev | next

about greencine · donations · refer a friend · support · help · genres
contact us · press room · privacy policy · terms · sitemap · affiliates · advertise

Copyright © 2005 GreenCine LLC. All rights reserved.
© 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. Portions of content provided by All Movie Guide®, a trademark of All Media Guide, LLC.